Album is slow, thumbnails are not created on sdcard

278 posts
Thanks Meter: 52

By ZenorGR, Senior Member on 9th September 2009, 07:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th October 2009, 11:52 PM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hold on a sec, but am I understanding that this issue is fixed if you have a 2Gb partition on the SD card?

Because SD cards are formatted with FAT32, right? There used to be a 2Gb limit with FAT16, right? Seems a bit of a coincidence to me, that? Could this have something to do with the way Hero/Android reads FAT tables?

Might be reading something into nothing there, but it peaked my IT spider-sense, that.
16th October 2009, 04:22 AM |#122  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicelad_uk

So there is still no fix for this in place...?

I have a Sandisk Class 6 8gb card and have the issue
Also have an Integral Class 2 16gb with the issue

Absolute pants.

Has everyone informed HTC?

ZenorGR has already asked HTC Support Europe, and me asked HTC Support Asia as well.

Both answer the same, they said they can't reproduce this problem, they said they don't have this problem with their Hero and their card, even the card size is larger than 2GB..
So they are not much help, they are only trying to say there is no problem and close the ticket.
16th October 2009, 04:26 AM |#123  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbore

Hold on a sec, but am I understanding that this issue is fixed if you have a 2Gb partition on the SD card?

Because SD cards are formatted with FAT32, right? There used to be a 2Gb limit with FAT16, right? Seems a bit of a coincidence to me, that? Could this have something to do with the way Hero/Android reads FAT tables?

Might be reading something into nothing there, but it peaked my IT spider-sense, that.

hmm, good idea, but I have already tried format with FAT32 in the 2GB card and it is still working fine. both FAT16 and FAT32 are working on the 2GB card.

So it might not be the problem in file system type or the cluster size as we have already tried, I think.
16th October 2009, 10:32 AM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Yes, this definitely seems to be a partition size problem and not cluster size or FAT tables.

I've formatted my 8gb in a variety of ways and only when the primary partition is 2GB or less will it work, however it is formatted. Everything else works fine, like Apps2SD etc.

We need someone who has good knowledge of the Android OS itself to have a ponder on this problem... It's just who do we give the questions too?!
16th October 2009, 11:45 AM |#125  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirato

hmm, good idea, but I have already tried format with FAT32 in the 2GB card and it is still working fine. both FAT16 and FAT32 are working on the 2GB card.

So it might not be the problem in file system type or the cluster size as we have already tried, I think.

I was thinking more that this might be a bug in the HTC album software, in which it can't write to the partition because it cannot understand the file table - ie. it doesn't recognise that the partition can be larger than 2Gb, so it fails to successfully write the thumbnails (or their headers in the file table).

Obviously it isn't a wider problem with Android, or we wouldn't be able to view anything on SDHC cards. But it could very well be some coding problem in the part of the software that creates the thumbnails. Unfortunately, that would mean it is down to HTC to fix the problem and there would be very little we could do about it (aside from maintaining a 2Gb partition on our SD card)
16th October 2009, 02:15 PM |#126  
Flag Sunny Yorkshire
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripealipe

Yes, this definitely seems to be a partition size problem and not cluster size or FAT tables.

I've formatted my 8gb in a variety of ways and only when the primary partition is 2GB or less will it work, however it is formatted. Everything else works fine, like Apps2SD etc.

We need someone who has good knowledge of the Android OS itself to have a ponder on this problem... It's just who do we give the questions too?!

Give em to Modaco, he knows everything!
16th October 2009, 07:33 PM |#127  
OP Senior Member

More
As I said on previous posts of this topic, I also had the issue but I accidently fixed after trying different things which I posted.

Today I reproduced the issue so I can try to fix it out. I had no luck fixing it so I restored from a nandroid backup so the issue was gone, again.

The album application before, and after this process was the same(meaning I didn't flash any different ROM). I really can't explain what is going on with this issue.
16th October 2009, 08:46 PM |#128  

More
One way to test would be to try the stock Albums app from basic Android OS e.g. from Dream or Magic. I don't have access to them and am not a devvy kinda person. Is anyone willing to push them via ADB and try?
16th October 2009, 09:08 PM |#129  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
of course, it's only an app after all.

I have another 8GB class 2 that doesn't work either, so i'll use that instead of messing with my faster 8GB that's in my phone at the 'mo.

Zenor: It's def interesting that your Nandroid backup gets it working again. Some strange combination has maybe stopped it in the first place and get's it going again too.
And it gets saved in that state too!
16th October 2009, 09:21 PM |#130  
OP Senior Member

More
Yeah, that's why I posted. I also found that interesting. It may have to do with the pictures themselves, I don't know. If you like I can upload my DCIM folder so you guys can see if it works for you.

Let me know.
17th October 2009, 03:42 AM |#131  

More
Hi ZenorGR,

Regarding your issue and fixed, I'm still suspect that it is because the albums apps create some files in the phone storage so when you restore from nandroid, that file were gone..
It can explains the reason why HTC support cannot reproduce this issues because they don't have this problem files in their phone.

About the pictures problem themselves, I don't think it will be problem, I have tried put the same images and thumbnails cache files that were working before with 2GB card to my larger 16GB card...
The result is: the albums can load the existing thumbnails, but it cannot create anymore thumbnails when I added more images. And if I deleted the working thumbnails, it cannot regenerate those as well.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)