Working GPS (via BT) on the Gear (with null_07 Rom and up)

Search This thread

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
(Only for null_07+ rom, because we need access to the hidden Android settings. Maybe its possible to unhide these settings on the firmware rom with root. In that case it should also work)

We have a go :)

yi1i.png

1. Install ExtGPS on your Note (or other device you've coupled the Gear with).
Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extgpsforandroid
Launch it
(EDIT: I found a better, more stable altenative: ShareGPS (Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jillybunch.shareGPS )

2. On the Gear install BlueGPS4Droid. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluegps4droid/?source=dlp
( Optional: install Google Maps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps
You can use any other map app or navigation app if you like. BlueGPS4Droid will act as a GPS provider for any other GPS-enabled app you use )

Now (still on the Gear) go to the Android Settings menu (only available on the null_07+ roms) and go to Developer Options
In the Developer Options menu enalbe Allow mock locations

Launch BlueGPS4Droid: select Choose Bluetooth GPS and connect to your phone. Then start the GPS (enable Start/Stop GPS)

( Launch Google Maps: et voila... there you are little blue dot (provided you have a fix on your phone with ExtGPS) )

--------------
I tested more GPS bluetooth servers and GPS bluetooth providers on the Gear and Note, but these two apps seem to be the only apps that work.

Note
You need of course a working internet connection on the Gear to download maps for the map or navigation app you're using. The Null_ rom supports Bluetooth tethering for this (go check it out). If your provider has blocked BT tethering on your phone use a third party app. PDANet+ works great. Search the forum how to make it work. This will also work on other roms.
If you don't have a internet connection working just mess around and try to transfer offline maps from your phone to the gear. (Don't know how, but it should be possible for some apps. Just try)

Last edited:

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
(Only for null_07+ rom, because we need access to the hidden Android settings. Maybe its possible to unhide these settings on the firmware rom with root. In that case it should also work)

yi1i.png

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extgpsforandroid
Launch it

2. On the Gear install BlueGPS4Droid. Download it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/bluegps4droid/?source=dlp
( Optional: install Google Maps: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.maps
You can use any other map app or navigation app if you like. BlueGPS4Droid will act as a GPS provider for any other GPS-enabled app you use )

Now (still on the Gear) go to the Android Settings menu (only available on the null_07+ roms) and go to Developer Options

Launch BlueGPS4Droid: select Choose Bluetooth GPS and connect to your phone. Then start the GPS (enable Start/Stop GPS)

( Launch Google Maps: et voila... there you are little blue dot (provided you have a fix on your phone with ExtGPS) )

--------------
I tested more GPS bluetooth servers and GPS bluetooth providers on the Gear and Note, but these two apps seem to be the only apps that work.

no f*** way! you are a genius!
gonna try it out now.

any chance that you could try offline navigations?

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
no f*** way! you are a genius!
gonna try it out now.

any chance that you could try offline navigations?

Should be no problem. Should work the same as on your phone. You can even download some offline maps in Google Maps. Gear has plenty of room for that. We only have an additional working GPS now via Bluetooth.

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
i already tried gps tethering apps, and none of them worked. this one works flawlessly. i just wish there was a way to incorporate this into custom rom out of the box, so we dont have to install anything.

either way, few days ago i tried sygic from play store. it's unable to download files from google play once you start the app, so i copied the files from my phone to it. i used to get a black screen and then the app was closing. maybe i can try older version or something.

btw - i really recommend caching your area map. works so much smoother then.

just make sure the area you want to cache is visible, and then type into search box OK MAPS.

lfaitas

Oct 12, 2006
Amazing staff!! its working super well!!

Any ideas how to sign in as existing user to have all saved places available?
I only get the new account option whatever i press..
Did you manage to install google play on gear and login with existing google account so to avoid Wondershare sideloading? or dropbox installation? ...

thanks!

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Did you manage to install google play on gear and login with existing google account so to avoid Wondershare sideloading? or dropbox installation? ...

thanks!

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
i already tried gps tethering apps, and none of them worked. this one works flawlessly. i just wish there was a way to incorporate this into custom rom out of the box, so we dont have to install anything.

either way, few days ago i tried sygic from play store. it's unable to download files from google play once you start the app, so i copied the files from my phone to it. i used to get a black screen and then the app was closing. maybe i can try older version or something.

btw - i really recommend caching your area map. works so much smoother then.

just make sure the area you want to cache is visible, and then type into search box OK MAPS.

Few days ago we didn't have BT tethering. The VPN trick didn't work for all connections. Did you try sygic maps with BT tethering? Should work

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

thanks!

Try playing around with the gapps of CM. Look in the zip. Copy the files to the appropriate locations. Maybe you should install the play services from the play store too. Eventually Google Login should work

Let us know!

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
Few days ago we didn't have BT tethering. The VPN trick didn't work for all connections. Did you try sygic maps with BT tethering? Should work

i tried few versions of sygic with but no luck. best i could get is the screen where it says no maps found! when i add the maps it goes to black screen then back to home screen.

cvondra

Nov 29, 2007
Does anyone have a copy of the Maps.apk that is currently working for them? When I try to install the one I pull from the Play Store I get:

failure: [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

hurdlejade

Sep 29, 2012
Does anyone have a copy of the Maps.apk that is currently working for them? When I try to install the one I pull from the Play Store I get:

failure: [INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK]

i'm using the one from play store and it work just fine..
however there is one annoying thing - i can't get it to work so that it shows navigation in the direction i'm actually heading to. it stays on always-to-north and 3d north. any ideas? i know it lacks compass but it's not necesarry to display navigation differently..

cvondra

Nov 29, 2007
How did you install? I wonder if I have a bad dload cuz I get a parse error when I try to install via dropbox.

i'm using the one from play store and it work just fine..
however there is one annoying thing - i can't get it to work so that it shows navigation in the direction i'm actually heading to. it stays on always-to-north and 3d north. any ideas? i know it lacks compass but it's not necesarry to display navigation differently..

cvondra

Nov 29, 2007
Ugh fkn wondershare. Hate to go that route as I've never had an issue installing via adb, but I'll give it a go.

i'm using wondershare mobilego to install my apps.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Same error with wondershare. "Error Older SDK" **** me.

Ugh fkn wondershare. Hate to go that route as I've never had an issue installing via adb, but I'll give it a go.

gidi

May 29, 2006
In navigation mode in Google maps there is no sound. Can someone confirm?

Thank you

Nov 8, 2013
No network connection

I get error " No Network connection" when using maps and some bull about a problem with my data connection.

any thoughts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

yi1i.png

Launch it
    (EDIT: I found a better, more stable altenative: ShareGPS (Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jillybunch.shareGPS )

--------------

Note
    You need of course a working internet connection on the Gear to download maps for the map or navigation app you're using. The Null_ rom supports Bluetooth tethering for this (go check it out). If your provider has blocked BT tethering on your phone use a third party app. PDANet+ works great. Search the forum how to make it work. This will also work on other roms.
    If you don't have a internet connection working just mess around and try to transfer offline maps from your phone to the gear. (Don't know how, but it should be possible for some apps. Just try)
    That is because the latest version of maps requires 4.3+. Here is a version that works.

I have the same problem. Can not install it.
    Help please?
    GPS Navigation & Maps +offline

This App works well on Gear.

Download Free APK from Google Play via Wondershare or Paid verson via Real APK Leecher. Don't use Wondweshare to install, will fail because invalid URL.

Copy file GPS Navigation & Maps +offline.apk to any folder on Gear then click it to install (I use Root Browser) Installation takes a little bit long, should be patient you will get it.

After that you need an internet connection on the gear to download Maps and Voice.
    Thinking out of the square ! Love it bravo.. Great work.
    Instead of ExtGPS I use ShareGPS now https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jillybunch.shareGPS
    (simple launch procedure ánd more stable)