FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[GUIDE] How to extract, create or edit android adb backups

1,702 posts
Thanks Meter: 914
 
By scandiun, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 24th November 2012, 10:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th October 2013, 08:11 PM |#71  
SadHeroXIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Al Qatif
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

Do you run the commands correctly from command prompt?

well, yes I do. But may be i do something wrong with cygwin...

I want to extract the file cus when restorig it end b4 finish ! So, I want to restore the left
 
 
10th October 2013, 08:22 PM |#72  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 914
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadHeroXIII

well, yes I do. But may be i do something wrong with cygwin...

I want to extract the file cus when restorig it end b4 finish ! So, I want to restore the left

You don't need cygwin to extract an adb backup
10th October 2013, 08:30 PM |#73  
SadHeroXIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Al Qatif
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

You don't need cygwin to extract an adb backup

then how and where we should type the command ?
10th October 2013, 08:49 PM |#74  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 914
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadHeroXIII

then how and where we should type the command ?

Type it where abe.jar and your backup are in the same dir. If not working can't help you anymore unless you post an screenshot.
10th October 2013, 09:17 PM |#75  
SadHeroXIII's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Al Qatif
Thanks Meter: 45
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

Type it where abe.jar and your backup are in the same dir. If not working can't help you anymore unless you post an screenshot.

finally, I've success in extract the .ab file !
But now, I can't extract the tar file to complete what I want to do

EDIT

I do it at last
thanks for the guide (y)
16th November 2013, 09:46 PM |#76  
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 7
 
Donate to Me
More
Hello!
Either there is something wrong with abe.jar or with .ab and .tar files.
.ab were created using Helium and uploaded to dropbox, then downloaded locally
When I unpack it - resulting .tar files is wrong for some reason.
Then I get another backup .tar.gz using ultimate backup, unpacked gz to tar and tested that .tar to check if it is ok.
It was ok with /data/data structure and files in it.
When I pack it - resulting .ab has header and garbage after that. And Helium can't restore it.
What can be wrong?
16th November 2013, 09:50 PM |#77  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 914
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglerLKR

Hello!
Either there is something wrong with abe.jar or with .ab and .tar files.
.ab were created using Helium and uploaded to dropbox, then downloaded locally
When I unpack it - resulting .tar files is wrong for some reason.
Then I get another backup .tar.gz using ultimate backup, unpacked gz to tar and tested that .tar to check if it is ok.
It was ok with /data/data structure and files in it.
When I pack it - resulting .ab has header and garbage after that. And Helium can't restore it.
What can be wrong?

Either Helium is creating an invalid archive or dropbox corrupted it. Try generating the ab file yourself using the debugging bridge to see if is ok.
16th November 2013, 10:07 PM |#78  
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 7
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

Either Helium is creating an invalid archive or dropbox corrupted it. Try generating the ab file yourself using the debugging bridge to see if is ok.

Probably there is something wrong with the /data/data backup in Helium.
Coz when I try to backup APK using helium abe.jar unpacks it correctly to .tar which has apk inside.
How do i create /data/data backup using adb backup manually?
16th November 2013, 10:09 PM |#79  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 914
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglerLKR

Probably there is something wrong with the /data/data backup in Helium.
Coz when I try to backup APK using helium abe.jar unpacks it correctly to .tar which has apk inside.
How do i create /data/data backup using adb backup manually?

You should report a bug to Helium then.
16th November 2013, 10:20 PM |#80  
Senior Member
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 7
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

You should report a bug to Helium then.

They made some custom and probably more convinient way to backup using adb backup with tar files. The problem is that it is really hard to convert any backup (titanium or ultimate) for it to accept. I don't think it is bug, it is just some strange usage of adb backup. This means even if Helium creates .ab backup really it is not in that format... Or it is just unencrypted or uncompressed. And I don't have openssl and cygwin to confirm it.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Yes. It looks like .ab created by Helium is just tar with ANDROID BACKUP header. Not encrypted, not compressed. Is it possible to create pack/unpack for such format?
16th November 2013, 10:26 PM |#81  
scandiun's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 914
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglerLKR

They made some custom and probably more convinient way to backup using adb backup with tar files. The problem is that it is really hard to convert any backup (titanium or ultimate) for it to accept. I don't think it is bug, it is just some strange usage of adb backup. This means even if Helium creates .ab backup really it is not in that format... Or it is just unencrypted or uncompressed. And I don't have openssl and cygwin to confirm it.

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Yes. It looks like .ab created by Helium is just tar with ANDROID BACKUP header. Not encrypted, not compressed. Is it possible to create pack/unpack for such format?

They claim it's adb backup

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...p-problem.html
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes