FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

remap volume buttons to power button - for people with broken power button Captivates

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By puneet_champ, Member on 7th June 2012, 01:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
2nd October 2012, 12:46 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you, it worked like a Charm...

4th October 2012, 08:17 PM |#12  
Flag Bellevue
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd779

If you install most asop builds there is usually an option under from control that will let you use the volume button to turn on the screen without losing volume cintrols . Works well too.

That won't let you "sleep" the phone with the volume control button. My button is to the point where I press it sometimes it works, sometimes it brings up the power menu but most of the time it does nothing.
15th October 2012, 02:05 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I use volume wake and an app called turn off screen. More inconvenient than power button but once you use the app once to turn off the screen it stays in your list when you long press the home key so I can turn off the phone without having to go the home screen every time.
Rip power button you are sorely missed.
I use rom manager to restart my phone into recovery for flashing.
15th October 2012, 08:15 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I also asked this in another thread... I want to disable WAKE with power button...
I edited all . kl files in system > usr > keylayout and deleted WAKE on power button lines with no luck.

I am on galaxy s2 slim 2.7.0 rom. android 4.1.2
8th November 2012, 02:22 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
For those of you that this method did not work there is a much easy and hassle free alternative!! Takes a minute or two only!!

Get 'Go launcher' from the app market (play)
Get 'Go Locker'

Now Enable Go Locker on your device. And you are done!!

When the screen goes black again, Just press the volume button, The screen wakes up!!

Using this method you don't lose the normal functionality of the volume rocker!!

I respect the effort put in by "puneet_champ" to make this post.. I went through this post, I couldn't find a file named 'aries-keypad.kl' Good thing I didn't!
As a result of which I recalled that I used to have Go Locker on my phone, and that when I pressed the Volume key the screen turned on!!
At that time I found it a little annoying, But now it has turned out to be such a gift!!
The Following User Says Thank You to infaas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift infaas Ad-Free
27th December 2012, 10:32 PM |#16  
Flag Sunnyvale, CA
Thanks Meter: 192

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by infaas

For those of you that this method did not work there is a much easy and hassle free alternative!! Takes a minute or two only!!

Get 'Go Locker'

When the screen goes black again, Just press the volume button, The screen wakes up!!

Using this method you don't lose the normal functionality of the volume rocker!!

I respect the effort put in by "puneet_champ" to make this post.. I went through this post, I couldn't find a file named 'aries-keypad.kl' Good thing I didn't!
As a result of which I recalled that I used to have Go Locker on my phone, and that when I pressed the Volume key the screen turned on!!
At that time I found it a little annoying, But now it has turned out to be such a gift!!

The issue there is you have to have a custom launcher, and you can't turn your phone off yourself.
27th March 2013, 09:50 PM |#17  

More
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate
Android 4.2.2
Kernel 3.0.66-g6c5dade
Cyanogen 10-1-20130224-NIGHTYLY-captivatemtd

I used both ES File Explorer and ADB method to try to edit the file to fix my power button issue.

Both methods allowed me to edit the file and have the edits remain after a reboot and reviewing of the file. However the edits don't seem to be doing anything as the volume keys still function as volume.

If anyone knows what I might be doing wrong it would be much appreciated.
8th April 2013, 04:12 PM |#18  
Flag Belize City
Thanks Meter: 7

More
^^^i had the same issue as you. No matter how I tried editing it to re map buttons it did not work. I trouble shoot this for many weeks and made no progress. A member did suggest making some custom scripts which was above my skill level. Ended up buying a new button. Actually just got the phone back fixed this weekend.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
18th November 2013, 04:47 PM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by infaas

Get 'Go Locker'

The file that you needed and you didn't find is probably not called aries-keypad.kl . Every sort of devices calls it a bit different, with keypad or kpd in the name of the file. For example the file on my device is called mtk-kpd.kl . You see?

Greetings, Plehai
The Following User Says Thank You to Plehai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Plehai Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 10:24 PM |#20  
Flag Lebanon, MO
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Easier to use an app called button remapper and make the search button the power button. Volume buttons to wake.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda app-developers app
27th November 2013, 01:44 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I remapped the Camera button to act as a PowerButton. When the phone (Spice Mi 350n- GB-Sandwich ROM) is awake the new functionality is working, but when the phone enters into sleep mode, the Camera key no longer respond. I'm thinking this has something to do with the wakelock functionality. Can someone explain or give me a workaround for this ??? Thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)