FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][2.2+] [v.1.5+] Wakelock Detector- What keeps your phone awake when it sleeps?

223 posts
Thanks Meter: 680

By ahikmat, Senior Member on 7th March 2013, 03:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th November 2013, 11:05 PM |#311  
Flag El Paso, Texas
Thanks Meter: 213

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahikmat

We can use famous social networks like a facebook page, or Google Plus page then
post our demands until we reach Google.

What do you think ? How much are you eager to support this idea.

To Reddit!
The Following User Says Thank You to SpyroDazee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpyroDazee Ad-Free

19th November 2013, 07:15 AM |#312  
OP Senior Member
Seoul

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyroDazee

To Reddit!

Excellent idea!!

I will work on the contents,,
The Following User Says Thank You to ahikmat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahikmat Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 07:36 AM |#313  
OP Senior Member
Seoul

More
I got a reply from "Dianne Hackborn" who commited the change

Hi Uzum,

This was never available to third party applications anyway -- the only APIs to access the information protected by it are all hidden, and change across platform versions. Any applications using these private APIs are going to break sooner or later, and we would rather it was sooner.

So I send her reply again, if it does not work, then we will try to catch public attention

Dear Dianne Hackborn,

Thanks for your reply.

We thought over about your reply,
However,
Could you consider discussing about reverting BATTERY_STATS permission's protection level from "androidrotectionLevel="signature|system" to "androidrotectionLevel="dangerous"

We could not find any solution for this issue, Our app can not access wakelock statistics without ROOT, and we don't want to force our users to ROOT their devices.

As users are aware that third-party app is going to access battery statistics,in our opinion this permission can not hurt the user . It just only gives access to power consumption information. We do not see any danger in this.

We are aware that this battery statistics API was hidden, we used reflection to access this info as that was the only choice.

Standard android battery app is good enough, however many users with "no-sleep" issues could not solve their battery draining issues with standard app. Because android's standard battery app does not give detail information.

Fortunately, they found "BBS" or "Wakelock detector" or "GSam battery monitor" and easily found out which rogue apps kept their phone awake from deep-sleep that were causing drastic battery drain.

They need this "wake lock" statistics. That is why there was a big demand for such apps.

In other words, Google is taking away the right from users to see their detail battery statistics.

For understanding how much serious problem is "no-sleep" issue, please take a look below links:
https://www.google.com/search?q=andr...no+sleep+issue
http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...d-applications

According to research paper, almost 50% of apps had this "no-sleep" bugs in 2012.
Hopefully, that number dropped by 2013, but still there are apps which mis-use "wake lock" feature and cause drastic battery drain.

Please check out the user feedbacks in "Wakelock detector" for more details.

Since 2013.03.01 We were happy to serve Android users by helping them to resolve their wakelock issues.
They doubled their battery life without going to A/S or Resetting their phones.
Right now, We need your help to help our users which are your users in turn.

Please Help!

Regards UzumApps
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ahikmat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ahikmat Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 03:55 PM |#314  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Why can't we just use root to change permissions or just read the stats?
19th November 2013, 10:04 PM |#315  
Flag 127.0.0.1
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashin

Why can't we just use root to change permissions or just read the stats?

And how do you do on devices without known flaws to get root? Root should be left to power users, having a device that doesn't die after 5 hours shouldn't be reserved to power users though.

Regards
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Magissia For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Magissia Ad-Free
22nd November 2013, 09:02 AM |#316  
OP Senior Member
Seoul

More
We came up with a solution for KitKat with non-rooted phones,

however, the procedure of using WLD is going to change:

1) Run WLD on your phone
2) Connect your phone to your PC (for Windows users; make sure you have USB drivers installed)
3) Run "WLD_Helper" app on your pc (this app is under development)
4) Unplug from USB, and enjoy wakelock statistics

After that you can use WLD like before,
however, if you restart your phone you got to repeat the above procedure (phone settings resets at reboot)

What do you think?
Would you just ROOT your device ?
or would you follow this procedure to solve your wakelock problem?
22nd November 2013, 09:22 PM |#317  
Thanks Meter: 852

More
I think most users of wld have rooted their phone (me too) so I don't bother to have root as a requirement to avoid this (annoying) procedure.
As far as I understand wld is a (the) utility to check for wake locks but next step is eliminate the unwanted wakelock(s) and that's more difficult if you don't want to simply uninstall an app (which is ultima ratio but often not desired or not possible because you need the apps features/aims). In detail the countermeasure often/maybe needs root (in case you must disable certain services or permissions producing wakelocks, ie with System Tuner or Disable Service or similar apps which all need root).
So finally with wld you will get information but with root you will be able to 'kill' the explored wakelock with countermeasures.
23rd November 2013, 05:17 PM |#318  
Recognized Contributor
Berlin
Thanks Meter: 17,570

More
I you would like to look into implementing as a system app to regain battery_stats perms for rooted users (and avoid parsing dumpsys output and expensive su operations) I have a running and tested implementation for BBS. The repo is up-to-date
25th November 2013, 03:57 AM |#319  
OP Senior Member
Seoul

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix

I you would like to look into implementing as a system app to regain battery_stats perms for rooted users (and avoid parsing dumpsys output and expensive su operations) I have a running and tested implementation for BBS. The repo is up-to-date

Thanks a lot!

I will check it!
25th November 2013, 09:23 AM |#320  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi guys, before asking I want to thanks the creators of this app because I think it is wounderful!

So I tell you my problem: I am the owner of an Ascend P1 Huawei and I am running a stock firmware not officially released from the constructor but it is a stable version.
It never goes in deepsleep except when it is on plane mode so I started to search some solution and I founded your app.

It gives me a result of about x1200 wake call from AlarmManager and Android OS with the most percentual of battery drain.
After that I've tryed to access the AlarmManager.txt o AlarmDump.txt but probably the indications that I found on the differents threads on this forum doesn't work with my phone.

So anybody can help me to access this file? I need it to understand wich application of the system is keeping awake my phone.

P.S.: When I got these results I had a factory resetted phone so I had no app and I didn't make calls or data connection.

Thank you so much for the help!

EDIT: I've got the files I was looking for, someone can help me to understand where is the problem
Attached Files
File Type: txt AlarmDump.txt - [Click for QR Code] (7.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: txt AlarmManager.txt - [Click for QR Code] (7.1 KB, 7 views)
25th November 2013, 03:48 PM |#321  
Flag Norwich
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Aside from the dirty fix to get this app working on 4.4 is there a more permanent fix? When I open the app I get a message saying 'failed to perform this task, try again later'

Tried clean install, wiped data etc but nothing works.

Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)