Thanks Meter: 240

By tchebb, Inactive Recognized Developer on 21st September 2013, 10:53 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
15th November 2013, 03:30 PM |#231  
Thanks Meter: 140

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorflea

Looks like they are comming shipped with the bootloader updated. I just gat a new one and Flashcast 1.1 says its not updateable. .

So bumbed about it. is there any hope?

There may be hope. You might be able to take it back and look through all of the stock at your local store(s), to find a box with a serial number within a certain range. I did some guesswork and found one on my third try.

For more clarification, please refer to my post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=47475311

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

21st November 2013, 02:03 AM |#232  
Thanks Meter: 191

More
Read the thread and am stumped. Have 12072. Used the disk image to make a Usb of flashcast 1.1. Boots to flashcast welcome then led stays red and won't reboot. Confirmed the key is unreadable on a pc.
Did I miss something? Any ideas? I assume it's supposed to reboot at which point the key can be used on pc at which time I can install pwncast. Help please!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean09

Read the thread and am stumped. Have 12072. Used the disk image to make a Usb of flashcast 1.1. Boots to flashcast welcome then led stays red and won't reboot. Confirmed the key is unreadable on a pc.
Did I miss something? Any ideas? I assume it's supposed to reboot at which point the key can be used on pc at which time I can install pwncast. Help please!

It appears it just won't format my Usb key. Tried 2 now.

Edit, worked with the third key I tried no issue.

21st November 2013, 02:36 AM |#233  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

It appears it just won't format my Usb key. Tried 2 now.

Edit, worked with the third key I tried no issue.

Interesting. I haven't seen this issue reported before. Do you mind telling me what brand and model USB drives you were using that didn't work?
21st November 2013, 03:26 AM |#234  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb

Interesting. I haven't seen this issue reported before. Do you mind telling me what brand and model USB drives you were using that didn't work?

The first was an 8gb staples branded one. Second was an old 1gb cruzer with a frosted end that flashes green when plugged in. Both were successful in converting and booting but wouldn't format. Once I tried the third it worked.

As a side note neither of the first two will flash the bin without an error anymore, and neither work Windows nor let me do anything in drive manager.

21st November 2013, 04:17 AM |#235  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Can confirm Cruzer Mini 1.0GB (with green LED on the end) failed to format (and didn't seem to display anything on screen, but appears to have flashed at least one of my chromecasts).

A Kingston 4GB DataTraveller was 'formatted' properly by the process for adding an image zip.
21st November 2013, 04:19 AM |#236  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Quote:

As a side note neither of the first two will flash the bin without an error anymore, and neither work Windows nor let me do anything in drive manager.

That's exactly the same problem I had. Once the bin file is placed on a USB drive, you can't try to put the bin file it a second time as it errors and if it fails to flash your CC or you decide not to flash the CC, Windows can't format it. Nothing seems able to format the CC as FlashCast can.

I used a regular 1GB Cruzer.
21st November 2013, 09:18 AM |#237  
Flag Alba
Thanks Meter: 391

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wptski

That's exactly the same problem I had. Once the bin file is placed on a USB drive, you can't try to put the bin file it a second time as it errors and if it fails to flash your CC or you decide not to flash the CC, Windows can't format it. Nothing seems able to format the CC as FlashCast can.

I used a regular 1GB Cruzer.

I would be surprised if GParted couldn't format it.
21st November 2013, 10:04 AM |#238  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The first was an 8gb staples branded one. Second was an old 1gb cruzer with a frosted end that flashes green when plugged in. Both were successful in converting and booting but wouldn't format. Once I tried the third it worked.

The problem is Windows' poor handling of flash drive partitions. @ddggttff3 figured out how to force Windows to reformat a FlashCast drive from the command line the other day. When he wakes up tomorrow, I'll see if I can get him to post instructions. Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Following User Says Thank You to tchebb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tchebb Ad-Free
21st November 2013, 11:19 AM |#239  

More
Does that mean I may be able to recover the flash drives that didn't work?

21st November 2013, 04:56 PM |#240  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,520

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchebb

The problem is Windows' poor handling of flash drive partitions. @ddggttff3 figured out how to force Windows to reformat a FlashCast drive from the command line the other day. When he wakes up tomorrow, I'll see if I can get him to post instructions. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a Tutorial Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRsUuiuWQMM

Not my best work, but was somewhat rushed. Hope that's OK.

Commands Used in CMD:
Code:
diskpart
list disk
select disk * (where * is your jump drive disk number)
clean
convert mbr
create partition primary
Like I said in the video, make sure you select the drive letter of your jump drive! If you select the wrong disk you can accidentally wipe all of the data from your computer. Me, XDA, and team eureka are NOT responsible for any data loss.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free
21st November 2013, 05:06 PM |#241  
Warren, MI
Thanks Meter: 157

More
Thanks and I was about ready to post a link to another Youtube video on "How To Do Just That" but your video is better!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)