[solved] E:/error opening '/data/lost+found' after Factory Reset

Search This thread

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi, today i wanted to do a factory reset and clean install my phone

im using TWRP 2.3.3.3

after factory reset in the wipe menu, at the end i see a line E:/error opening '/data/lost+found'

basically i know what does lost+found folder does in linux, but i forgot whether i have seen such error line before when i do factory resets.

in the file manager of TWRP i then see /media and /lost+found in the /data partition. when pressing into /lost+found, TWRP cannot open it

after this, wiping /system will also give me the same message at the end even it is "Done", as well as cache and dalvik, etc

then i go on flash rom, gapps, kernel, after 1 or 2 boots i go back to recovery and wipe cache, there are no such line anymore
however there is now TWO /lost+found folder in my /data partition

is this a normal behaviour? i didnt pay attention but are there 2 lost+found folders in /data partition for everyone else too?

i have backed up my sdcard and is ready for a /data wipe, any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: mademan420

Hanny

Feb 5, 2011
Hong Kong
update: well really hasnt seen it anywhere tried very hard searching on google
maybe just **** happens sometime as i rushed updating the su binary together with restoring android ID in titanium backup altogether without carefully rebooting etc.

factory reset, formating every partition for N times didnt help. returned to completely stock (unlocked bootloader ofcourse), flash twrp 2.3.3.3 clean and no more that line anymore after factory reset. hell gonna start my sdcard restore now...

mitchallica

Dec 17, 2012
maybe just **** happens sometime as i rushed updating the su binary together with restoring android ID in titanium backup altogether without carefully rebooting etc.

factory reset, formating every partition for N times didnt help. returned to completely stock (unlocked bootloader ofcourse), flash twrp 2.3.3.3 clean and no more that line anymore after factory reset. hell gonna start my sdcard restore now...

I was researching google for this same exact error message, when I came across your thread. I doubt you are still having this issue, but I wanted to reply with the solution in case anyone else comes across this post. I was able to solve this error message by installing a new ROM. It doesn't matter which one you install, any will do. Then open your file manager of choice, of course one which can go up to root level. Browse to /data, and then you should notice that you do not have a lost+found folder. However, you should see a lost+found file, all the way at the bottom. I renamed this file to lost+foundOLD, and then created a new folder called lost+found. Next, reboot into recovery and once again wipe both caches, system and factory reset. You should no longer get the lost+found error. Make sure to fix permissions as well to make sure.

sdlopez83

Aug 8, 2007
NY-Chile
I was researching google for this same exact error message, when I came across your thread. I doubt you are still having this issue, but I wanted to reply with the solution in case anyone else comes across this post. I was able to solve this error message by installing a new ROM. It doesn't matter which one you install, any will do. Then open your file manager of choice, of course one which can go up to root level. Browse to /data, and then you should notice that you do not have a lost+found folder. However, you should see a lost+found file, all the way at the bottom. I renamed this file to lost+foundOLD, and then created a new folder called lost+found. Next, reboot into recovery and once again wipe both caches, system and factory reset. You should no longer get the lost+found error. Make sure to fix permissions as well to make sure.

No his error and mine are different. We have two lost+found dir and no file. If i delete them and make new lost+found folder. It automatically makes 2.

NVijapura

Mar 6, 2013
I am having this same problem. I just did a restore to my last backup, but it in TWRP it says mentions the error over and over again. I looked in /data and I found about 10 files called lost+found, but I do not have any folders. Any suggestions?

szurheal

Jul 7, 2013
Full Format data worked for me

I am having this same problem. I just did a restore to my last backup, but it in TWRP it says mentions the error over and over again. I looked in /data and I found about 10 files called lost+found, but I do not have any folders. Any suggestions?

I just encountered this problem after updating a CM nightly and it bricked my phone. Restoring from a nandroid backup would ultimately fail and I was getting all kinds of weird problems (stuck in boot loop, graphics appearing garbled, etc). After looking closer at the logs during restore, I noticed E:/error opening '/data/lost+found' appearing several times, an then it would indicate 'done' and restart but would end up with the same problems.

Even after doing a factory reset, I had no luck in restoring my phone. So I did a factory reset again and installed a CM stable release thinking maybe my ROM / backup was messed up but noticed the same E:/error opening '/data/lost+found' message. However, this time around I managed to get booted far enough where I could connect via USB and backup files from my internal memory to my computer.

At this point I booted into recovery (TWRP 2.5.0.0) and did a full wipe including internal SD using the Format Data option, whereupon I was able to install the CM stable release without issue - no more lost+found error! I then upgraded to the nightly version of my backup and restored with success. Long and stressful night...

scwied17

Mar 16, 2013
kalamazoo
I just encountered this problem after updating a CM nightly and it bricked my phone. Restoring from a nandroid backup would ultimately fail and I was getting all kinds of weird problems (stuck in boot loop, graphics appearing garbled, etc). After looking closer at the logs during restore, I noticed E:/error opening '/data/lost+found' appearing several times, an then it would indicate 'done' and restart but would end up with the same problems.

Even after doing a factory reset, I had no luck in restoring my phone. So I did a factory reset again and installed a CM stable release thinking maybe my ROM / backup was messed up but noticed the same E:/error opening '/data/lost+found' message. However, this time around I managed to get booted far enough where I could connect via USB and backup files from my internal memory to my computer.

At this point I booted into recovery (TWRP 2.5.0.0) and did a full wipe including internal SD using the Format Data option, whereupon I was able to install the CM stable release without issue - no more lost+found error! I then upgraded to the nightly version of my backup and restored with success. Long and stressful night...

All you simply have to do when this happens, is format data ( the one where you type yes ). After this, everything SHOULD be back to normal, for the most part.

leijonasisu

Oct 2, 2011
All you simply have to do when this happens, is format data ( the one where you type yes ). After this, everything SHOULD be back to normal, for the most part.

Worked perfect for me. Very easy to miss that simple "Format Data" button in TWRP. Simply type 'yes' and problem solved.

I think I got this error when I flashed SlimKAT 4.4 over on my P880 and I had the USB cable plugged in and the partitions mounted (as I had just transferred the install.zip to my phone)

Babazaneti

Nov 16, 2014
Worked perfect for me. Very easy to miss that simple "Format Data" button in TWRP. Simply type 'yes' and problem solved.

I think I got this error when I flashed SlimKAT 4.4 over on my P880 and I had the USB cable plugged in and the partitions mounted (as I had just transferred the install.zip to my phone)
Can i get some help please. I cant format data via TWRP, it says "E: unable to wipe data, unknow fle system, auto, unable to format to remove encryption". I did not put any encryption. What to do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Full Format data worked for me

Hi, today i wanted to do a factory reset and clean install my phone

im using TWRP 2.3.3.3

after factory reset in the wipe menu, at the end i see a line E:/error opening '/data/lost+found'

basically i know what does lost+found folder does in linux, but i forgot whether i have seen such error line before when i do factory resets.

in the file manager of TWRP i then see /media and /lost+found in the /data partition. when pressing into /lost+found, TWRP cannot open it

after this, wiping /system will also give me the same message at the end even it is "Done", as well as cache and dalvik, etc

then i go on flash rom, gapps, kernel, after 1 or 2 boots i go back to recovery and wipe cache, there are no such line anymore
    however there is now TWO /lost+found folder in my /data partition

is this a normal behaviour? i didnt pay attention but are there 2 lost+found folders in /data partition for everyone else too?

i have backed up my sdcard and is ready for a /data wipe, any advice is appreciated. thanks in advance!
    just had this issue and was solved by dropping back to twrp 2.4.x.x and doing data format.