After repeatedly, and unsuccessfully, attempting to take total ownership of my phone, I've switched to T-Mobile and will no longer maintain this thread. Thanks to those great many donors who've contributed to support this device and my effort, and best of luck to those who still have the drive to support this device.
A Special Thanks to the Following Donors:
If this is your first time recovering to MJ5, please follow all steps.
If you've already ran through this method successfully once, you can start at step 5
147aaron - OTA update
Designgears - RDLV
A.S._id - MJ5 Firmware
drakeymcmb - kn0x0ut support / mirror
1) Download and install Heimdall from here for windows. You'll need this and this to avoid missing .dll file errors
2) Download the following files;
MI9_fix.img.ext4Put everything except for the system.img on your external SD card
https://mega.co.nz/#F!icMTnSQY!bMBNFmUnn2_K8olSTYpwIA (mirror provided by drakeymcmb)
3) Download and install the MJ5 partions. Use Odin to flash these files (match the file names with the different upload slots)
4) Now is the time to use Heimdall.
Reboot into Download Mode once Odin finishes.
Install the vcredist packages downloaded from step 1.
unzip the heimdall .zip file to c:/
go to c:/Heimdall Suite/Drivers and click on zadig.exe
click the middle menu button to select "Show All Devices"
from the dropdown, select MSM8960
click the "install driver" button.
you should see a success message
5) Navigate on your computer to c:/Heimdall Suite/ and open heimdall-frontend.exe.
IMPORTANT -- Go to the Utilities tab and click the "Detect" button
Go to the Flash tab on Heimdall, click Browse and select the HLTE_USA_ATT_32G.pit file downloaded from step 3
Click the 'add' button, then next to 'partition name' select system from the dropdown.
click the Browse button underneath the dropdown, and select the MI9_fix.img.ext4 image you downloaded from step 2.
6) Click Start. ***I usually check the 'No Reboot' box to prepare for booting into recovery
7) Heimdall and your Note will report a bad flash at around 95% -- but don't worry -- your system.img got uploaded Reboot directly into recovery mode.
8) Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the sec_csc.zip you downloaded earlier (did you remember to put that file on your external SD card?). This will install the CSC files and run the preload checkin so you don't FC all over the place
9) IMPORTANT--After flashing the sec_csc, the Note will reboot.
Try to catch it in time to reboot BACK into recovery
Once in recovery, select "Choose update from external" in the recovery, and select the 2400258.zip you downloaded earlier.
This will give you a stock MJ5 system. You can choose to stop here if you don't want to root.
10) Extract rldv.zip to the root of your internal sdcard (NOTE **my script removes Knox apps). Reboot, then once SuperSu installs, Reboot again.
This leaves you with a rooted MJ5 device.
If this helped, please hit thanks or donate
I'm finishing up a custom rom image for us. We'll be able to flash it without the inventive, but dirty, kn0x0ut script.