Verizon Galaxy Note 3 Set to Receive an Update

Search This thread

zepfloyd

Jun 8, 2010
Waiting for GPS
just root it and enable yourself. takes literally 2 mins

I am more than aware and did so weeks ago. I have 4 or 5 posts in the AWS thread if you ever read it, hence my emphasis on officially. The question was if this finally makes it by default for the masses an AWS LTE capable device. Also some people claim it only works when they force it, even when enabled, so maybe this update balances it better, just because it was there and can work, doesn't mean it was 100%.

kampana

Jun 15, 2010

I read that too, but I have to ask myself if Big Red gives away anything for free. Isn't it more conceivable that VZW will either a) remove the Band 4 feature from this update, or b) delay the update until they can come up with a pricing model for AWS?

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

I am more than aware and did so weeks ago. I have 4 or 5 posts in the AWS thread if you ever read it, hence my emphasis on officially. The question was if this finally makes it by default for the masses an AWS LTE capable device. Also some people claim it only works when they force it, even when enabled, so maybe this update balances it better, just because it was there and can work, doesn't mean it was 100%.

Wait, what's the difference between "forcing" and "enabling" Band 4? I rooted and enabled Band 4, but is there another step?

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
I read that too, but I have to ask myself if Big Red gives away anything for free. Isn't it more conceivable that VZW will either a) remove the Band 4 feature from this update, or b) delay the update until they can come up with a pricing model for AWS?

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Wait, what's the difference between "forcing" and "enabling" Band 4? I rooted and enabled Band 4, but is there another step?

You can check the option to force band 4 , which just means that it will only connect to Band 4 and if your not in an area that has band 4 then your phone won't connect to anything and you won't have proper service I believe. Enabling will let your phone scan for band 4 and connect if possible. If there is no band 4 it will just utilize the band your area connects which I believe is band 13 . At least on my phone it is. I do know the person that discovered this told people to make sure they switch back to lte auto if you forced band 4 just to see if it was available in your area otherwise your phone wouldn't work properly.

Reactions: kampana

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
I just downloaded the update, and it failed to install for me as well.
Im running stock MJ7 build, nothing uninstalled or frozen. Just have it rooted with kingo, xposed and wanam, and Isis.

mjh68

Apr 20, 2010
I just downloaded the update, and it failed to install for me as well.
Im running stock MJ7 build, nothing uninstalled or frozen. Just have it rooted with kingo, xposed and wanam, and Isis.

Pretty sure you have to unroot to take the official update. I failed as well on Scott's clean rom , just wasn't sure I wanted to unroot and install yet. Otherwise, are you using safestrap ? Safestrap needs to be removed as well otherwise I don't think it will boot to the proper recovery for the update.

Reactions: qwart

zepfloyd

Jun 8, 2010
Waiting for GPS

Verizon isn't removing Band 4 and it has nothing to do with pricing, there are no other costs, it's merely added bandwidth capacity.

Enabling Band 4 in the service menu lets it the phone search for and connect to it like it does anything else. Forcing it, which can be done following the same thread, forces the phone into LTE Only mode and only looks for Band 4. People are doing this to a) see if the network exists where they are, b) speed test the new bandwidth on that part of the network. Forcing it is not a permanent solution or anything as it will prevent you from getting calls and texts or connecting to ubiquitous Band 13/700Mhz LTE.

Reactions: kampana

kampana

Jun 15, 2010
Verizon isn't removing Band 4 and it has nothing to do with pricing, there are no other costs, it's merely added bandwidth capacity.

Enabling Band 4 in the service menu lets it the phone search for and connect to it like it does anything else. Forcing it, which can be done following the same thread, forces the phone into LTE Only mode and only looks for Band 4. People are doing this to a) see if the network exists where they are, b) speed test the new bandwidth on that part of the network. Forcing it is not a permanent solution or anything as it will prevent you from getting calls and texts or connecting to ubiquitous Band 13/700Mhz LTE.

Thank you Zepfloyd and mjh68. I did finally force Band 4 and I've got a connection! All this time I thought having it enabled meant that it was forced.

That being said, if this update "officially" enables Band 4 does that mean that ALL Note 3 users will be able to connect to Band 4? I ask because I could not connect to Band 4 until I forced it, enabling it did not allow me to connect to it.

oneandroidnut

Jun 5, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
i know and i enabled it and when i was in atlanta it automatically switched to band 4 and then back to band 13 without a hitch and was fast so i havent had any problems with it. doubt cincinnati will even see aws in the next year

NeoMagus

Mar 3, 2010
East Coast
Can anyone who has taken the update verify if SELinux stayed Permissive or changed or post a screenie of Settings>About Phone

TIA

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
Pretty sure you have to unroot to take the official update. I failed as well on Scott's clean rom , just wasn't sure I wanted to unroot and install yet. Otherwise, are you using safestrap ? Safestrap needs to be removed as well otherwise I don't think it will boot to the proper recovery for the update.

I'm still getting failed update install.
I removed all the rooted apps, restored the original build.prop, uninstalled the Xposed modules and framework, removed ISIS root bypass and ISIS app.
Then let Kingo "unroot" the phone.
But the update is still failing to install.

I'm still getting failed update install.
I removed all the rooted apps, restored the original build.prop, uninstalled the Xposed modules and framework, removed ISIS root bypass and ISIS app.
Then let Kingo "unroot" the phone.
But the update is still failing to install.

Probably will have to odin back then install the update....Once your set to custom I don't believe you can take it OTA

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

KachowPow

Oct 23, 2012
Philadelphia
Can someone post a Screenshot of the After Update reflecting the new Build number with the SELinus status reflecting an "Perrmissive" Status. I would really like to see confirmation that this is in fact true rather than stated. Thanks!

FAUguy

Mar 1, 2011
South FL
Probably will have to odin back then install the update....Once your set to custom I don't believe you can take it OTA

But after removing everything and having Kingo remove the root, the system status is shown as "Official" not "Custom".
Unless there is another file that is missing or modified, and is preventing the update from installing.

KachowPow

Oct 23, 2012
Philadelphia
But after removing everything and having Kingo remove the root, the system status is shown as "Official" not "Custom".
Unless there is another file that is missing or modified, and is preventing the update from installing.

Have you tried to install the update through Kies3? If the OTA is a fail, that is usually the best way.

Jolle_1

Apr 8, 2012
Can someone post a Screenshot of the After Update reflecting the new Build number with the SELinus status reflecting an "Perrmissive" Status. I would really like to see confirmation that this is in fact true rather than stated. Thanks!

ry3e3eny.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    working on flashable version of mje stock root should have it up soon :)
    How were you able to get Triangle Away to get rid of the "Custom" at the bootloader screen? I've got it installed and it shows Current Status as:

Code:
    Counter: 0
    Binary: Official
    Device: SM-N900V
    System: Modified

I tried turning on the "System modified workaround", but that didn't change anything for me. :(
    Right underneath that status, there's a "Flash reset counter"
    Just click it, accept the warning... etc. Then reboot.
    Worked for me.
    Just did the OTA update. Checked save root on super user. Everything went good and still have root.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I pulled the update.zip and stuck it my Dropbox if anyone wants it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8119920/12-10-13-N3_update.zip
    Just throwing this out there because there's bound to be one of you to take the update and lose root. Don't do it till someone has a root method if one is needed. But this should be common sense.

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app