Flatline - Unbrickable Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi + 3G)

Search This thread

chejo

Dec 29, 2010
Skopje
Before I begin I need to ask something. I am on bootloader 4.32.
First I need to downgrade the bootloader to 4.13 then
then flash flatline recovery
then flash flatline bootloader
then generate the blobs
then flash the 4.13 bootloader
and finally flash the 4.32 bootloader
Then everything will be back to normal?

bigsee

Jul 12, 2006
Sopron
Just found Your topic, it's fantastic, I had to send back to RMA two times mine n7 because of the APX mode. I made all of the backup steps and my question is: the size of the files are OK?

Attachments

• wheelie.jpg
    wheelie.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 837

vorcers

May 21, 2012
I don't know how I did it, but I can't get into apx mode. No button combination works - not even by pressing all buttons 10 seconds long. It just isn't recognized by my PC. I wanted to flash back to 1.23 after I made the blobs.

Can anyone help me, or do I need to do an RMA?

Edit: I think it is not completly dead, because my wall charger uses ~4W. But the tablet is just not recognized by my PC...

Last edited:

Cusciolino

Feb 15, 2010
but... is really impossible to use nvflash without blob? I don't understand of this things but.. if you only flash a bootloader why you must use whelee before using nvflash?
and.. is it impossible to create blob in apx mode?

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 AM ----------

but... is really impossible to use nvflash without blob? I don't understand of this things but.. if you only flash a bootloader why you must use whelee before using nvflash?
and.. is it impossible to create blob in apx mode?

zamboniman87

Jan 24, 2011
I have a bricked Nexus 7 that can only load APX mode. I accidently tried flashing a system image of the 4G/LTE Nexus 7 on my Wifi Nexus 7. Unfortunately, I don't have backups of my .blob files. Any progress or anything at all you can suggest I try doing to restore the bootloader?

fwiw I have access to an identical Nexus 7.. I'm willing to try anything because it's out of warranty and currently a paperweight.

Thanks in advance.

Xcandescent

Nov 23, 2013
A few comments:

At a minimum, the proper instructions for getting into APX mode (the 10-second button combo sequence) and for flashing a new bootloader should be on your Web site. As it is, there are instructions for saving various partitions, without ever explaining why the data is important, or how to restore it.

There should also be a warning that flashing the bootloader with nvflash prevents it from ever being flashed with fastboot again. I found that out the hard way. I suspect there's a way to get that working again (i.e. flashing in secure boot mode), but you would need to post instructions for doing that.

-XCN-

TheDj408

Oct 24, 2013
Mumbai
A few comments:

At a minimum, the proper instructions for getting into APX mode (the 10-second button combo sequence) and for flashing a new bootloader should be on your Web site. As it is, there are instructions for saving various partitions, without ever explaining why the data is important, or how to restore it.

There should also be a warning that flashing the bootloader with nvflash prevents it from ever being flashed with fastboot again. I found that out the hard way. I suspect there's a way to get that working again (i.e. flashing in secure boot mode), but you would need to post instructions for doing that.

-XCN-
Prevents from flashing... Would you like to explain a little bit?

vorcers

May 21, 2012
A few comments:

-XCN-

Prevents from flashing... Would you like to explain a little bit?
@Xcandescent ; @TheDj408 ; (@ All)

I also needed to find out this... my nexus 7 broke complete (nothing, really nothing happend, not even apx!) as I wanted to reflash an original bootloader. I got an "signature mismatch" on fastboot. And fastboot was dead. But apx worked! (And I had the blobs!) So I tried to flash the 1.23 via apx. But this also did not work... I can't remember the details. After that, my device was dead... (see also my post earlier in this thread)

I think the fastboot-bootloader is so rock-stable that this scary procedure described in this thread isn't necessary. Well, all guys shouldn't always reflash the bootloader like it is described all over the forum. If you have e.g. 1.23, there is no need to reflash 1.23 again! I don't know why is this everwhere mentioned? The people should check the bootloader-version they have and if there is a newer one, then flash a newer! Or, more better: Only do bootloader-flashes if they come over ota! Because sometimes google releases some fail-bootloader in the factory images. If you get them over ota, you are more save. If the OTA fails, because you modified your system rom, erase the boot (NOT bootloader), system and recovery partition and then flash the factory versions of these (system,recovery,boot) (don't reflash the bootloader!). Leave the bootloader alone a long as you have your device, more better: Don't even think about doing this "fastboot flash bootloader <file>" command! Just don't do it!

So, my recommendation is, DO NOT use this "flatline" thing, and leave your bootloader forever all alone! Only let the bootloader flash being done over OTA! Also, I think the creators are not active anymore (maybe they only wanted to collect the blobs which saved now on their server?) and they did not even released the sources for their recovery, bootloader and wheelie. A shame!

And if you are not an complete idiot and try to flash an boot or recovery or system image from an other device (e.g. nexus 5 images on a nexus 7) you will never need this "flatline" thing.

Sorry for this angry post...

And use never toolkits (for using fastboot for example). Learn it on your own. You never now what they do. They always reflash the bootloader.... It is crystal clear that sooner or later an device hard bricks if everyone flashes an bootloader 3 times a day... :silly:

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDj408

TheDj408

Oct 24, 2013
Mumbai
@Xcandescent ; @TheDj408 ; (@ All)

I also needed to find out this... my nexus 7 broke complete (nothing, really nothing happend, not even apx!) as I wanted to reflash an original bootloader. I got an "signature mismatch" on fastboot. And fastboot was dead. But apx worked! (And I had the blobs!) So I tried to flash the 1.23 via apx. But this also did not work... I can't remember the details. After that, my device was dead... (see also my post earlier in this thread)

I think the fastboot-bootloader is so rock-stable that this scary procedure described in this thread isn't necessary. Well, all guys shouldn't always reflash the bootloader like it is described all over the forum. If you have e.g. 1.23, there is no need to reflash 1.23 again! I don't know why is this everwhere mentioned? The people should check the bootloader-version they have and if there is a newer one, then flash a newer! Or, more better: Only do bootloader-flashes if they come over ota! Because sometimes google releases some fail-bootloader in the factory images. If you get them over ota, you are more save. If the OTA fails, because you modified your system rom, erase the boot (NOT bootloader), system and recovery partition and then flash the factory versions of these (system,recovery,boot) (don't reflash the bootloader!). Leave the bootloader alone a long as you have your device, more better: Don't even think about doing this "fastboot flash bootloader <file>" command! Just don't do it!

So, my recommendation is, DO NOT use this "flatline" thing, and leave your bootloader forever all alone! Only let the bootloader flash being done over OTA! Also, I think the creators are not active anymore (maybe they only wanted to collect the blobs which saved now on their server?) and they did not even released the sources for their recovery, bootloader and wheelie. A shame!

And if you are not an complete idiot and try to flash an boot or recovery or system image from an other device (e.g. nexus 5 images on a nexus 7) you will never need this "flatline" thing.

Sorry for this angry post...

And use never toolkits (for using fastboot for example). Learn it on your own. You never now what they do. They always reflash the bootloader.... It is crystal clear that sooner or later an device hard bricks if everyone flashes an bootloader 3 times a day... :silly:
I said little bit and you explaind a lot... This cleared so many doubts I had even my friends too... So you suggest to use "" adb"" to flash stock roms? And why flashing bootloader multiple times will brick nexus? How did you get your nexus working after hard brick? And in this thread it flashes bootloader v4.13...

vorcers

May 21, 2012
I said little bit and you explaind a lot... This cleared so many doubts I had even my friends too... So you suggest to use "" adb"" to flash stock roms? And why flashing bootloader multiple times will brick nexus? How did you get your nexus working after hard brick? And in this thread it flashes bootloader v4.13...

I was a little angry <.<

No, you still need to flash your images with fastboot. I just wanted to say, that you shouldn't flash the bootloader if you don't need to.

Well, the bootloader is very important - if it breaks, your device is dead! And during a flash always can break something - these are electronics!
I work so long with computers that I know, that always something "unpredictable" can happen and breaks everything (space radioation or, ... I don't know :silly:).

This can also happen if you normal use your tablet and you write some file on it. It is unlikely, but possible that the file can be broken, because an 1 got to an 0 during write! If you write the boot, system or recovery partition, and they break, you can always re-flash it, because fastboot is working. But what do you do if it this happen during the write of the bootloader (which contains fastboot) ? It flashes... you maybe don't even notice something. You reboot. And then? Right! Nothing! It is dead! Because of that I recommend to flash the bootloader as few as possible. The best is, only over ota. Because it can always happen everything. Even if it is unlikely.

And you shouldn't flash things which are not made for your device. Then the issue sits indeed in front of the Monitor. Or the tablet.

I indeed flashed first the 4.13 (1.13? I don't know) and made the blobs. After that, I wanted to go back to 4.23. In fact, I did the same mistake as BrianXP7. (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45896380&postcount=14) But for me, pressing all buttons 10 seconds long, didn't work.

Last edited:

TheDj408

Oct 24, 2013
Mumbai
I was a little angry <.<

No, you still need to flash your images with fastboot. I just wanted to say, that you shouldn't flash the bootloader if you don't need to.

Well, the bootloader is very important - if it breaks, your device is dead! And during a flash always can break something - these are electronics!
I work so long with computers that I know, that always something "unpredictable" can happen and breaks everything (space radioation or, ... I don't know :silly:).

This can also happen if you normal use your tablet and you write some file on it. It is unlikely, but possible that the file can be broken, because an 1 got to an 0 during write! If you write the boot, system or recovery partition, and they break, you can always re-flash it, because fastboot is working. But what do you do if it this happen during the write of the bootloader (which contains fastboot) ? It flashes... you maybe don't even notice something. You reboot. And then? Right! Nothing! It is dead! Because of that I recommend to flash the bootloader as few as possible. The best is, only over ota. Because it can always happen everything. Even if it is unlikely.

And you shouldn't flash things which are not made for your device. Then the issue sits indeed in front of the Monitor. Or the tablet.

I indeed flashed first the 4.13 (1.13? I don't know) and made the blobs. After that, I wanted to go back to 4.23. In fact, I did the same mistake as BrianXP7. (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45896380&postcount=14) But for me, pressing all buttons 10 seconds long, didn't work.

I didn't got my tablet repaired. I was lucky and got a new one from Google.
OK... Thanks a lot for the useful information... :) One last question... What should I do and avoid to prevent my tab from a hard brick? (I just use multirom.. Flash n number of roms and rarely flash stock.. Coz sometimes when it's stuck in bootloop I flash recovery and flash a room instead of stock coz stock doesn't work for me) and I followed the instructions above a long time back but wasn't able to get the blobs file... And I flashed a room then using the same recovery then flashed stock today so that bl went to 4.23.. Do I need this blobs files? And I guess answers of these questions will help everyone..

vorcers

May 21, 2012
OK... Thanks a lot for the useful information... :) One last question... What should I do and avoid to prevent my tab from a hard brick? (I just use multirom.. Flash n number of roms and rarely flash stock.. Coz sometimes when it's stuck in bootloop I flash recovery and flash a room instead of stock coz stock doesn't work for me) and I followed the instructions above a long time back but wasn't able to get the blobs file... And I flashed a room then using the same recovery then flashed stock today so that bl went to 4.23.. Do I need this blobs files? And I guess answers of these questions will help everyone..

Hardbrick prevention on nexus Devices 1x1:

• Flash the bootloader as less as possible.
  • Don't flash anything that isn't made for your device. (flash-images and .zip!)
  • [MOD] Hope that the creator of an mod tested the mod with your device-type.
  • Don't use toolkits. You don't know what they do. Do it manually. There is an manual for almost every case in the internet. Just Read, Read, Read.
  • !!!! If you use bootloader from the nexus-factory-images, please check, if the bootloader which is packed in the image, it is a valid (this also applies to bootloaders, loaded from anywhere out of the internet...) - please read this thread. Be very careful!
  • And check your actions three times before you press enter.

But the best prevention of hard bricks, is:

Just don't root! Don't do "fastboot oem unlock" leave your device stock from the day on you get it. If then something crashes (example during ota) it is Googles/Manufactures fault. Not yours.

I know it is hard NOT to root. I did myself root all my devices. Damn, I would still have Gingerbread on my Phone if I didn't rooted my device! (I would have a Nexus 4, I think, but so I have Android 4.3, soon Kitkat and I am Happy. Thanks ADC-Team! :highfive: </end-off-topic>)

But it is the truth. Sorry guys. If you want to reduce the probability for an hardbrick to nearly zero (not equal zero, this is just not possible), just leave your device stock, from the day on you get it. And if you want again to be stock, flash the factory image and do "fastboot oem lock". This is important, if you do an rma in the future.

And to the flatline mod: These mod is so prone to errors, that I wouldn't do this (again). If you follow the points I written you shouldn't break your device. Well, you (or the creators of the zips) also shouldn't mess with low-level /dev/... devices. I don't even know if there are any on the nexus 7. For example, on my phone, the i9001, there are some partitions, marked as "/dev/block/mmcblk0p<Number>, (see link) if I would mess with partitions lower then Number = 8, I will break my phone.

So long....

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDj408

TheDj408

Oct 24, 2013
Mumbai
Hardbrick prevention on nexus Devices 1x1:

• Flash the bootloader as less as possible.
  • Don't flash anything that isn't made for your device. (flash-images and .zip!)
  • [MOD] Hope that the creator of an mod tested the mod with your device-type.
  • Don't use toolkits. You don't know what they do. Do it manually. There is an manual for almost every case in the internet. Just Read, Read, Read.
  • And check your actions three times before you press enter.

But the best prevention of hard bricks, is:

Just don't root! Don't do "fastboot oem unlock" leave your device stock from the day on you get it. If then something crashes (example during ota) it is Googles/Manufactures fault. Not yours.

I know it is hard NOT to root. I did myself root all my devices. Damn, I would still have Gingerbread on my Phone if I didn't rooted my device! (I would have a Nexus 4, I think, but so I have Android 4.3, soon Kitkat and I am Happy. Thanks ADC-Team! :highfive: </end-off-topic>)

But it is the truth. Sorry guys. If you want to reduce the probability for an hardbrick to nearly zero (not equal zero, this is just not possible), just leave your device stock, from the day on you get it. And if you want again to be stock, flash the factory image and do "fastboot oem lock". This is important, if you do an rma in the future.

And to the flatline mod: These mod is so prone to errors, that I wouldn't do this (again). If you follow the points I written you shouldn't break your device. Well, you (or the creators of the zips) also shouldn't mess with low-level /dev/... devices. I don't even know if there are any on the nexus 7. For example, on my phone, the i9001, there are some partitions, marked as "/dev/block/mmcblk0p<Number>, (see link) if I would mess with partitions lower then Number = 8, I will break my phone.

So long....
So many thanks for the reply... And not rooting is never an option for me :p I guess I never had to worry about my Sony xperia Sola about a hard brick...

Partitionator

Sep 9, 2011
First for all who have trouble entering the APX-Mode, start holding power a little bit earlier than the vol+.

And I think i found a way to brick it even with blobs. :D I worte zeros to mmcblk0boot0 and now i can´t bootstrap it with wheelie :(
Code:
Wheelie 0.1 - Preflight for nvflash.
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 androidroot.mobi
========================================

Waiting for device in APX mode...
[=] Chip UID: 0x15d2bc285340e0f
[=] RCM Version: 0x30001

[=] CPU Model: Tegra 3
[+] Sending bootloader...
[-] Error 3 sending command

And yes my blob is ok, I used it many times before, on diffrent PCs. But now on all PCs Windows/Linux the same problem...

EDIT: does anyone sell a N7 2012 Mainboard?

EDIT2: If I try the unbrick option in wheelie it stucks at Sending BCT:
Code:
./wheelie --blob blob.bin --unbrick /home/jan/APX/bricksafe.img 
Wheelie 0.1 - Preflight for nvflash.
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 androidroot.mobi
========================================

Waiting for device in APX mode...
[=] Chip UID: 0x15d2bc285340e0f
[=] RCM Version: 0x30001

[=] CPU Model: Tegra 3
[+] Sending BCT

Ok got it booting back again, after houres of awful trying out: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2564615&page=2
But I think wheelie has a bug... But i love this flatline thing :)

Last edited:

Partitionator

Sep 9, 2011
If you couldn't revive your device with that blobs you didn't tryed it hard enougth. I broke almost every part of the software on my nexus 7 and was always able to recover it, but it took me many houres to figure out how...
Look at the link I posted before...

I think OTA Updates are more risky than updating the bootloader with fastboot. OTA updates just flash the bootloader without any checks direct to the block device. Fastboot makes a signature check to be sure that the image is ok. I wasn' t able to flash a broken bootloader via fastboot...

Sent from my unbricked Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I think it would be absolutely fantastic if there was a means to use nvflash/wheelie for bootloader disasters *without* previously generating blobs. (Yes, I understand that isn't possible at this time - and may never be).

Or, if it were possible to generate blobs without first flashing a "hacked" bootloader to the tablet (which - if I am reading this thread correctly - apparently borks the use of fastboot for flashing official bootloaders afterwards, so that you are required to repair this situation by use of yet another use of nvflash)

But seriously, this isn't a case of the cure being worse than the disease, it's a case of the *prevention* being more risky than the disease itself: "you can prevent an unlikely hard-brick of your tab in the future by certainly risking a hard-brick today!"

I read this thread - "rats, it's bricked... no, wait, it's not bricked... oh crap I think it's bricked... no, wait, it's not bricked... oh crap I think it's bricked... no, wait, it's not bricked... oh crap it's bricked now for sure." That hardly inspires a sense of confidence wrt repeatability of the procedure for anyone reading.

Don't get me wrong though - props are due to anybody who willingly risks their device trying to figure out rescue methods for others. But that's not the same thing as recommending that newbs use a complicated, risky, and not-well-understand procedure in order to prevent a later act of stupidity.

If they are stupid enough to wreck their bootloader in the future, then they are even more likely to brick it today using this - especially because the procedure is substantially more complicated and less well understood than say using fastboot.

I think OTA Updates are more risky than updating the bootloader with fastboot. OTA updates just flash the bootloader without any checks direct to the block device. Fastboot makes a signature check to be sure that the image is ok. I wasn' t able to flash a broken bootloader via fastboot...

Not so. The OTA update.zip files are cryptographically signed (jarsigner method). The update process can not even begin unless the whole archive passes the (file-by-file) SHA1 MICs. That means not a single byte can be wrong in the OTA payload - it won't even launch if that is the case (I am talking about true OTA delivery - not sideloads with manually downloaded files). And the OTA-delivered bootloader is "staged" for installation by the recovery boot for the pre-existing bootloader the next time it loads. Since fastboot "talks to" the running bootloader, both methods (fastboot and OTA) install the replacement bootloader via the facilities of the preexisting bootloader. Not obvious why there would be more or fewer checks in either case.

The only people that have problems with OTAs are folks who try applying them with non-stock recoveries and/or customized ROMs. Simply put, they were not designed to be used in that manner.

The reality of the situation is that folks should try to avoid manual flashing of bootloaders at all costs; the safest procedure for doing so is to make a full backup of their current ROM (including recovery), restore a stock ROM from a backup including its' stock recovery, and take the automated OTA against pure unadulterated stock. After that, flash a custom recovery (unlocked bootloader case) using fastboot and either restore a backup or install a new ROM.

The usual excuse for not doing bootloader updates this way is "I don't have a stock ROM backup or the matching stock recovery", or "yeah but using fastboot is faster" But that's just sloppy behavior leading to even sloppier behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: vorcers and AndDiSa

Partitionator

Sep 9, 2011
Yes I know that the update.zips have to be singed. But as we see on the factory Images, somtimes the bootloaders that google delivers are corrupt, and if the bootloader file was corrouptet before google singed the zip noone would notice until the brick...
And because auf this staged thing... The bootoader ist copyed a few times after its extracted from the zip, and no checks. What if there gets one bit corrupted while extracting? Noone would notice that until the reboot...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The AndroidRoot.Mobi Team is proud to present Flatline: Nvflash for Nexus 7 & Nexus 7 3G (2012)

This release allows generating nvflash blobs for your specific device, making your device unbrickable as long as you have a copy of the blobs.
    As a brand new feature, it will also enable wifi and upload a copy of the blob to androidroot's server. Later, a solution will be released to retrieve the blobs from the server if you ever loose them.

https://www.androidroot.mobi/pages/guides/tegra3-guide-nvflash-jellybean/

Credit goes to the AndroidRoot.Mobi team:
    Bumble-Bee (Apache14), IEF, kmdm, lilstevie & RaYmAn.
    I know how to install the 4.23 bootloader...

Step 1: Get into fastboot by... Well if you don't know how to get into fastboot then why did you do this???
    Step 2: Get the unmodified 4.13 bootloader (attached as 413bl.img ) and flash it by using" fastboot flash bootloader 413bl.IMG"
    Step 3: Reboot into bootloader using volume keys
    Step 4: Flash the 4.23 bootloader (attached as bootloader-grouper-4.23.img )
    Step 5: Reboot
    Step 6: ???
    Step 7: Profit
    Ah yes! This makes updating the bootloader a less scary procedure. (It happened to me and I had to send an RMA request. Fortunately, they accepted it.) I do have a question. Are the blobs hardware specific for the Nexus 7? (Flashing someone's Nexus 7 dump to mine.)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

The blobs are device-specific. They will only works on your particular device and no one elses.
    Otherwise, we would have just released pre-made blobs :)
    Little question:

There's way to obtain device-specific key (SBK) after hard brick? like site with algorithm used in key generation, or something like that?

If it was possible, wheelie would have done just that automatically. Unfortunately, the algorithm isn't known.
    Or is there still a way we can royally f**k up the nexus softwarewise?

Software wise, generally no. Once you have generated your nvflash blobs the only way to truly destroy your n7 is by doing something that breaks hardware, this can be done by software though if for instance you ignore thermal monitoring and overclock it to the point where the CPU hits thermal runaway, but that is a common sense thing to watch out for when overclocking. As long as no physical hardware damage is done though (and I'm talking on a component level here) it is virtually unbrickable as long as you have wheelie blobs generated with flatline.