• Other apps

Votes: 85 14.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

eViL D:

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 14, 2006
EXPERIMENTAL!
So much for my little hiatus. Now, during my relaxing period, I had an epiphany of sorts. I though, how can we get Sense/Hero to run even more quickly and smoothly. I first looked at a "normal" cupcake/donut ROM, the first thing that stood out in my mind is use of the system partition. Now, in these normal ROM's, everything is on 1 partition, and thus you generally get a faster experience (Yes, I know about the slow NAND). In Sense/Hero ROM's, most cooks have decided to offload the system/app to the data partition. In doing this, you have plenty of space to create a full featured Hero build. But, by doing so, the system/app (symlinked) is cut off from the rest of the guts. This causes alot of problems when libs or the framework call on the apps, mainly LAG or total freezes! I've decided to try to cut out the middle man, like Tom Shane. Now, there is a limit on how much can be put in the system partition, but no data, so building a ROM like this is really tricky. You HAVE to sacrifice some things, but my goal is to get everything wedged in there. Realistically, it's not possible, but I will try.

On with my new creation.

What is it?
Sense build based off 32A dump. Fully optimized by me.

What makes it special?
Everything is on the SYSTEM partition! I'd love to see someone build something faster. Seriously!

Did you have to cut things out?
Yes, but I don't consider this (SenSe) a "LIGHT" ROM
Code:
AmazonMP3.apk
com.htc.StockWidget.apk
FieldTest.apk
HtcFootprints.apk
HtcFootprintsWidget.apk
HtcLog.apk
HtcRingtoneTrimmer.apk
HtcSoundRecorder.apk
IM.apk
Maps.apk
PCSCII.apk
PDFViewer.apk
Plurk.apk
Plurkwidget.apk
Stock.apk
Twitterwidget.apk
VoiceDialer.apk
Is it a work in progress?
Not really. It's actually pretty stable. But, me being me, it'll probably be constantly updated.

Can it be improved?
I hope so! I'm hoping to get more apps super optimized by either me or the community. Suggestions can also make it better.

Will it work on 32A or G1?
No Idea, but feel free to try it out and let me know.

Anything else?
I moved Customize, etc and Fonts to the Data partition. They just sit there for the most part. Oh yeah, no apps to sd. No Boot screen, yes, it will just turn black! And, one other thing, it's ENGLISH ONLY! for now.....

What is required?
32B, 3 partitions (if I want to be a hardass, I can make it only 2) fat32, ext/2/3 and linux-swap and 1/2 a brain.

Thanks?
Yes, Jac, ccyrowski, Drizzy, Twisted & cyanogen. The XDA community, goldenarmz, coolbho3000 and anybody else I forgot.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
****nano SenSe ROM is made for customization. It is bare bones Sense. The newest version will allow for you to install about 9-10MB of apps left out to the system partition. You will still have 250mb+ of space on the data partition/internal flash.

Check out nano SenSe in action here! Thanks Lumsdoni!

nano SenSe 2.0.2 (test)
Re-optimized
Added gscripts & scripts
Changes sounds

nano SenSe 2.0.1 for 32A with BT
Uses hotweiss HoFo kernel from 3.0.7
Should work fine for 32A users without any modifications
32B users, it will REQUIRE you to flash the 32A radio AND recovery in order for this to work.Follow eugene373 instructions in his OP HERE.
Version for 32B uses eugene's 32A kernel (awesome job!) ***Seems to be an issue with this kernel. I would hold off flashing it until eugene gets things sorted out.
Use Swapper with 32B

nano SenSe 2.0.1
Fixed app icon sizes
Fixed Android analog clock
Fixed Calendar Widget FC
Fixed Phone icon
Little more app optimization

nano Sense v2.0
More optimization
more space 2.6mb + 6.5
Droid app icons
Droid wallpapers via Scenes

nano SenSe 1.3
Slight optimizations
A tiny bit more space, not sure how much exactly
Themed just a little (thx twisted)
JAC #5 kernel
Changed fallback font (for users that frequest Asian sites, let me know if this worked)

nano SenSe v1.2
Some more small optimizations
Saved around 200k space
Changed wallpapers
Clicker works now, can calibrate IME
Updated build.prop

nano SenSe v1.1
Changed kernel. (if you flash an app in the downloads, you should go to the kernel folder and reflash the kernel back)
Small optimizations
Removed all apps on Data partition
No widgets or shortcuts loaded on the homescreen. (Most of you probably remove anyway)
6 wallpapers available through "Scenes"
250+MB of free internal flash!

nano SenSe v1
Basically the same as eViL SenSe v1.5 (check the change log), BUT
Everything is on system partition now, even customize, etc and fonts (Can it get any faster?)
Removed ALL widgets
Removed some weather dbs
Linux-swap only
Around 6.5MB free on sys. to push back to system/app (only can do this AFTER first boot)
Text file with what's not included

Addon/update package for nano SenSe which will basically add widgets and apps that aren't possible with the initial flash. Here's what's included: AmazonMP3, Ringtone Trimmer, Twitter, Voice Dialer, and Sound Recorder. Widgets: Music, Twitter, Weather, Bookmarks, Calendar, Clock, Message & Photo. Old boot screen is now included, but doesn't sync correctly. Will be in the update folder. Boot to recovery and flash. You DO NOT need to wipe. **Only for nano SenSe!

NEW! Signed apps for all widgets/apps missing from the base nano SenSe build. Since you only have around 6.5MB of space to install to the system partition, I have made it simple so you can choose. Simply download, copy to the root of your SD, reboot to recovery and flash. You do not need to wipe. After the names of each name, there is a number. That number is how big the file is and how much space it will use. It's all in KB. 1024KB = 1MB.***All the app packages use Drizzy's Kernel
http://www.4shared.com/dir/22757573/cd7d8422/Signed_app_updates.html
http://www.4shared.com/dir/22757573/cd7d8422/Signed_app_updates.html

eViL SenSe v2.0.1
Fixed app icon sizes
Fixed Android analog clock
Fixed Calendar Widget FC
Removed Latin IME
Fixed Phone icon
Little more app optimization

eViL SenSe v2.0
More optimization
Droid app icons
Added Weather and Mail widgets
Droid wallpapers via Scenes

v1.6.1 - Fixed, for real!
Slight app optimization
Clicker now works, can calibrate IME
JAC #5 kernel
Changed wallpapers in Scenes
Changed widgets again, this time based off how many times they were downloaded
Gone: twitter widgets. Also latin IME, twitter & overclock
Added: HTC IME
Kept: Clock, bookmarks, photo, contacts, music & message widgets & Mail app.

v1.5
Added back MUSIC WIDGET!
Added back photo widget
Changed to Linux swap only
Removed some modules

v1.4.1
Market working again
MORE "optimization"
Google talk back
Calculator is back
Updated apps: Astro, adfree & beyondpod

v1.4
"ALMOST" a complete/full sense build now.
More app optimization (Previews look even worse, but you understand what you're picking)
Added back Twitter and widget
Added back bookmark, message and mail widgets
Browser flash is back
Removed Google Talk
Removed Calculator
Removed some "questionable" apps

v1.3
Added BACK Mail app
More app "optimization"
HTC Sync is now gone
Gone with the widgets: Music, photo, message, mail.
Widgets there: Clock, calendar, contacts/people
Flash has been removed from the browser
More I left out as usual.
*Note, the mms app does not have a default sound, just vibrate.

v1.2
Fixed swap issue
Moved xbin back to system part.
Removed Mail app
Added Widgets: Music, contacts, photo & message
"Optimized" widgets (the previews will look like garbage, but don't worry)

v1.1
Moved xbin to data partition
Added back Mail app
Added back calendar widget
Removed HTC_IME
Added latin IME

v1
Sense Build 3 something (will fill it in later)
jac/ski kernel #5
All Sense, core and libs on the system partition = FAST!
No a2sd
Compcache and linux swap enabled (cc 32/24, 60 swappiness, ls 60 swappiness)
Modified update script
Most apps, missing Mail for one.
Lost widgets. Obviously needed room
Lost most sounds. Who uses the default ones anyway?
Black dialer (thanks for your hints Twisted!)
Custom lockscreen, notification tray, gmail and message icon. Also, custom look HTC_IME (base IME from Hero_Over). May switch to latin IME.
No boot screen! Don't complain, it saves space. Maybe i'll move it later.
No Bluetooth, don't even try to start it
No Wallpapers, it WILL FC if you try to add one from the gallery (or was it the album?)
More I might add later if I can remember. Brain is burnt right now and so is my ION.....
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*****IF YOU HAVE ANY WAKE SCREEN ISSUES, DOWNLOAD THIS KERNEL, JAC #5.

DOWNLOAD ROMS, PATCHES & APPS:
http://www.4shared.com/dir/22495455/fe877e86/nO_NoN_SenSe_HeRo.html
BFS Repository
http://www.4shared.com/dir/21215496/1cfad271/BFS_Patches.html
nano SenSe v2.0.2
http://www.4shared.com/file/231126450/3c620741/eViL_nano_SenSe_v202.html

Last edited:

eViL D:

Jun 14, 2006
Reserved for space.

Attachments

• snap20091107_182047.jpg
    snap20091107_182047.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,797
  • snap20091107_182055.jpg
    snap20091107_182055.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 2,115
  • snap20091107_182106.jpg
    snap20091107_182106.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,787
  • snap20091107_182112.jpg
    snap20091107_182112.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,598
Last edited:

youngt_07

Feb 12, 2008
wow.. extremely fast!! im kinda new to the sapphire and hero roms.. been trying to get a reliable rom on my mytouch ever since i got the phone and this has loaded fast and is extremely responsive! Good work!

Reignzone

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
I'm working on a similar project Evil. So, this is very nicely done...I wasn't planning on releasing until Saturday. You managed to beat me to the punch; then again...I thought I had all the time in the world. ;)

Seems pretty sweet.

D

Deleted member 2086469

hi evil....am EAGER to try out your rom but I'm with a 32A device, I wonder can you make a quick 32A kernel patch-over for this to work for us too? Thanks a bunch!!!:D:D

cheperdumonde

Jun 5, 2009
thank you for the work

Why work all your side?
you could work together, Evil, Eugene, Reignzone, Qtek, ... ? and create the perfect rom

Excuse me for english, iam french

Xda Rocks

Reignzone

Sep 2, 2009
Dallas, Texas
thank you for the work

Why work all your side?
you could work together, Evil, Eugene, Reignzone, Qtek, ... ? and create the perfect rom

Excuse me for english, iam french

Xda Rocks

You bring up an excellent idea; however, it's just not as easy as all that. It's the hint of individualism that developers strive for. If we were to create some "SUPER ROM" then our individual talents would become obsolete; lost in translation. :rolleyes:

I've considered something along those lines though...so it's not completely absurd to suggest that as you did. :D

eugene373

Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
Sadly there will never been a "perfect Rom", As each Dev. has a personal touch to each Rom, and what he/she feels is acceptable per there Rom's.

As stated, we could work together, but then surely, Somethings would not be ideal for others in the group, which in turn could very well slow progress down, or even halt the production completely.

I for one Would offer PS skills to that Dev., But to say what should be in a rom is anyone's guess.

Mainly We do it out of Bored, or just really enjoy fiddling with things.

*Back to topic.*

One thing I've noticed, is no Ring lag so I'll definitely be adding the media back to the system Folder.

Great Job eViL :D

The_Chrome_Coyote

Jul 15, 2006
ugh, 4shared, why do you ruin my life?

Anyone have a mirror? Id really like to give this Hero a try. I liked the speed of the other superlite ROMs, and all the extras dont appeal to me anyways.

D

Deleted member 2086469

hi evil....am EAGER to try out your rom but I'm with a 32A device, I wonder can you make a quick 32A kernel patch-over for this to work for us too? Thanks a bunch!!!:D:D
pleeeeeeaseeeee, someone make a 32A kernel patch for this sweet+lite ROM as I'm dying for..............by the way eugene, can I use ur 32A kernel patch over this one??? but i think it's not possible......:(

edding3k

Oct 7, 2009
Really nice ROM, really fast but i have big problem. The phone doesn't wake up after a while!
i flashed the device with this 3 times, every try the same Problem.

sorry for my bad English!

-----

so I have tried a UID mismatch fix. it seems to run.

Last edited:

wicked_beav

Feb 20, 2009
Detroit, Michigan
Hey evil, could you tell me exactly which widgets have been nixed. I definitely must have the calender widget (full size) and maybe the music widgets. Other than that I can live without the rest. Thanks in advance.

edding3k

Oct 7, 2009
Available are the search and the Clock! and the normal android widgets!

btw, i'm not able to insert a new APN, i cant write anything at the textboxes like APN Name, APN, Username or password. Only numbers!