[FAQ] Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions

Search This thread

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Please use the Find function of your browser (usually Control-F or Command-F) to search for words within.

FAQ is split into two parts because... I write too much. ;)

TABLE OF CONTENTS (Note: Only 1st level for brevity)

PART 1
: (just scroll down)
  1. General
    • What can I do with a Chromecast?
    • How can Chromecast keep playing when I disconnect/shut down/reboot my phone/tablet/computer?
    • How is Chromecast different from Apple AirPlay?
    • Can I use Chromecast outside of the United States?
    • How does Chromecast differ from using a TV output option on my phone/tablet/computer?
    • How does Chromecast differ from other media players like Roku and Apple TV?
    • I'm having trouble setting up my Chromecast with the app - is there a manual setup?
    • Any known issues with routers?
    • What control protocol does Chromecast use?
    • Can I have more than one Chromecast on the same network?
    • Can I cast to more than one Chromecast at the same time, from the same device?
    • My Chromecast came with a 3-month Netflix subscription code. I'm already a Netflix subscriber, can I use this?
    • My Chromecast came with a $6 Google Play Movies credit. What can I use that for?
    • What wireless type does Chromecast use?
    • What are the LED statuses for Chromecast?
    • Where is the Chromecast source? Known issues?
    • Can Chromecast control my TV?
    • Where is the Chromecast API or SDK?
    • Can I use a wired Ethernet connection with Chromecast for better bandwidth/performance?
  2. Capabilities
    • What official apps and sites does Chromecast support?
    • What media types does Chromecast support?
    • Can I cast media stored on my phone/tablet?
    • Can I cast media stored on my computer?
    • Can I cast my computer's desktop?
    • Can I cast my phone/tablet's screen?
    • Can I cast a browser tab?
    • Can I use my computer's speakers while casting to Chromecast?
    • Can I use a DNS other than Google?
    • Can I specify what output resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc) Chromecast uses?
    • Can I use Chromecast on a public hotspot or hotel Wi-Fi?
    • Do I need to have another device with WiFi in order to use Chromecast? Can't I just use it from a wired device on my network?
    • Casting my own media - which app is the best?
  3. Connectivity
    • Can I connect Chromecast to...
    • How do I get audio from Chromecast out my...

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563143#post48788011
PART 2
  1. Root
    • Which Chromecasts are rootable?
    • My Chromecast is supposed to be rootable, but it has already downloaded a Google OTA update. Can I still root it?
    • How do I root?
    • What does root give me?
    • How can I check what firmware build my Chromecast has if I can't connect it to the Internet?
    • I had root with Eureka-ROM and now it appears I don't?
  2. Official Apps (Questions pertaining to them, not a comprehensive list of official applications)
    • YouTube
    • HBO GO
    • Avia
    • Plex
    • Netflix
    • RealPlayer Cloud

Proceed to Part 1

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
^ Go back to Table of Contents (Home, or scroll to top of page)
> Jump to Part 2 (or just scroll down)

Please use the Find function of your browser (usually Control-F or Command-F) to search for words within.

PART 1
  1. General
      Read Google's walkthrough, it's much better than the Chromecast product page. Also see Google's Chromecast app page. Here is a list of Chromecast-enabled apps on the Play store.

Important to note here that Chromecast is not a "wireless replacement for a HDMI cable" in all cases. Save for screen-mirroring (coming), use of Chromecast requires that each individual application support it, unlike an HDMI cable which shows the device's entire screen.

In this manner, Chromecast is more like an accessory that enhances applications that support it.
      One advantage Chromecast has over an HDMI cable is that it can run at full 1080p on the TV, whereas HDMI cable connections can be limited to device's screen resolution.

Even though Chromecast is technically a standalone device, it's best to think of it as an extension of your tablet or phone's capabilities, rather than a full-fledged device.
    • How can Chromecast keep playing when I disconnect/shut down/reboot my phone/tablet/computer?
      Yes. See this post for more.
      See this discussion.
      As of March 19, 2014 Chromecast is now available in Canada and Europe.
      You can use Chromecast in other countries but without extra fiddling you will only have access to services available in your country. Region-aware services like YouTube, Netflix and Hulu will only show you content for your country.
      To view content from other countries will require using a DNS relocation service or VPN to get content from another region if the app is not supported in your region. @bagl0312 wrote a guide that should apply to most OpenWRT-based routers.
      See this discussion and Can I use a DNS other than Google? below.
      Also, allowed wireless channels vary outside of the US/Canada, so you might have to set your AP/router to a specific channel if it likes to auto-select one that Chromecast doesn't use.
    • How does Chromecast differ from using a TV output option on my phone/tablet/computer?
      The TV output of your phone/tablet/computer shows everything from your phone/tablet/computer, which can be quite nice. But, of course, the output on your TV is dependent on your phone/tablet/computer - you can't turn your phone/tablet/computer off an expect what's playing to continue playing on your TV.

Chromecast, on the other hand, operates independently like a "second screen" type device. You send a request from your phone/tablet/computer to Chromecast and it goes and handle the request to play video, music, etc on its own. Unless you are streaming content stored on your phone/tablet/computer, your phone/tablet/computer is just used to monitor and control Chromecast. You can turn it off, or even have another device take over control. Your phone/tablet/computer is just the remote control for the Chromecast playback, and just like a TV remote control, the TV keeps playing if you take the remote away - you just can't control it. And Chromecast is wireless. :)

If you have a spare Android device with WiFi and TV output, you can try using that as a Chromecast with [App] Cast Receiver app for Android or [App] YouMap Chromecast Receiver for Android
      (Below no longer works as of Cast SDK 2.0 release)
      If you have a spare Android device with WiFi and TV output, you can turn that into a Chromecast with Cheapcast.
      If you already happen to have a computer connected to your TV, you can use it as a Chromecast with the CR Cast extension or Leapcast for Google Chrome.

There's no remote. Your phone/computer/tablet is your remote. That means no more searching for the remote!
      While Chromecast may not have quite as wide a variety of content available, the the list of applications continues to grow.
    • I'm having trouble setting up my Chromecast with the app - is there a manual setup?
      Yes. Go here: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup?np=manualsetup
      Also check Google's Chromecast setup pages and Troubleshooter.
      Here's Google's Router Compatibility list. (The old Router Known Issues & Workarounds page seems to be no longer)
      At least one person needed to disable Parental Controls on their router. Access Control and Content Filtering do similar things so if you are having trouble, try toggling those options as well.
      Also, there are some WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations to consider as well. Sustainable WiFi bandwidth is critical for a smooth casting experience.
      ISP-supplied Cisco DPC3825 seems not to allow Chromecast traffic between wired and wireless segments. See this post.
      If you suspect there is a bandwidth or router issue and have Netflix, you can try this diagnostic video
      Chromecast uses the DIAL protocol for discovery and casting.
      Yes. Available Chromecasts will appear in a list by name when you initiate the cast.
    • Can I cast to more than one Chromecast at the same time, from the same device?
      Yes, but only from different apps, for example, casting HBO GO to Chromecast #1 while casting YouTube to Chromecast #2.
    • My Chromecast came with a 3-month Netflix subscription code. I'm already a Netflix subscriber, can I use this?
      (Expired)
      Yes! And be sure to use it (or give it to a friend or family member) before December 31, 2013 because that's the date the code expires!
      jbl0ggs reports:
      According to Netflix rep, the 3-month Netflix code from the Chromecast promo, can be redeemed until 01/31/2014
      It'll add on to an existing subscription anyway, so don't delay!

• My Chromecast came with a $6 Google Play Movies credit. What can I use that for?
      The credit applies to your Google Wallet, so you can use the credit for any content on the Google Play Store except for subscriptions. In other words, anything in Google Play Store with the exception of hardware and subscriptions.
      Be sure to redeem your code before March 31, 2014 because that's the date those codes expire, and the funds must be used by March 31, 2015.
      From the Play Store specifications Chromecast supports 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n, though I really don't recommend trying it on an 802.11b network unless you have zero interference and minimal other usage.
      Blinking white - Chromecast is not connected to a WiFi access point, or it needs to be set up.
      * In current FlashCast, this means flashing is in progress.
      Solid white - Chromecast is connected to a WiFi access point. It may or may not be able to reach the Internet.
      * In older versions of FlashCast, this means flashing is in progress.
      Solid red - in the boot process (it should go white afterward), settings reset has been requested (by holding the button down)
      * In FlashCast, this means there was a problem flashing. Bad/missing eureka_image.zip or Chromecast may not be rootable.
      Mirrored source
      Cast SDK issues
      Google Cast Release Notes
      For automatic TV power-on and channel-switching, Chromecast uses HDMI-CEC. Most TVs with HDMI support CEC. Computer monitors, projectors and non-televisions generally do not support CEC.
      HDMI-CEC functionality is sometimes known by other names such as LG Simplink, Panasonic VIERA Link, Samsung Anynet+, Sony BRAVIA Sync. Your TV must have this feature enabled for the input Chromecast is connected to.
      In order for Chromecast to turn your TV on, it must be powered on - not all TVs provide USB power while switched off, so it is recommended to use wall power for Chromecast if you want it to be able to turn your TV on automatically.
      Chromecast does not turn the TV off.
      As of February 3, 2014, it is here!
    • Can I use a wired Ethernet connection with Chromecast for better bandwidth/performance?
      Yes, Google has released an Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast. The adapter is a combined power and OTG Ethernet adapter. The network plugs into the power "brick" which then has a long single cable that goes to the Chromecast. When using the Ethernet adapter you do *not* need to provide your wireless credentials to Chromecast. Unfortunately, because the Ethernet is hardwired to the OTG lines, you cannot use the official Ethernet adapter in conjunction with a powered OTG cable or USB storage. Some third-party USB Ethernet adapters should work if you want to easily switch out USB peripherals on rooted ROMs. Google "Chromecast OTG ethernet"
  2. Capabilities
      See Google's list of Chromecast apps.
      You can also check the Chromecast section of Google Play on your Android device for applications that support Chromecast. Store Home > Apps > Categories > Chromecast button at top
      Or you can check the list of Chromecast-enabled apps on the Play store.
      See Google's Supported media types page. Also, Avia notes that Chromecast has difficulty with media bit rates over 10 Mbps. @Asphyx recommends "Encode in H.264 Codec MP4. Keep the Video Bitrate lower than 4000."
      The author of BubbleUPnP has some great information regarding bandwidth and on-the-fly transcoding requirements and how it affects Chromecast streaming. The page is geared toward BubbleUPnP Server, but the information applies to all local-network Chromecast streaming applications.
      If media is in a format compatible with Chromecast...Transcoding allows a file that is not natively supported by Chromecast to be converted on-the-fly for playback on Chromecast.
      Yes, via the Cast extension for the Chrome browser. Note that there will be some lag between what you see on the computer and what you see on Chromecast as performance will depend greatly on your computer's processing power and your (home) network's bandwidth and latency. See this discussion for more.
      Android screen mirroring to Chromecast was officially announced at Google I/O 2014 and went live July 9, 2014. It currently requires KitKat 4.4.1 or higher and a supported device, though see below...
      Supported devices at the moment are
      • Nexus 4
      • Google Nexus 5
      • Google Nexus 7 (2013)
      • Google Nexus 10
      • Samsung Galaxy S4
      • Samsung Galaxy S5
      • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
      • Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (2014)
      • HTC One M7
      • LG G Pro2
      • LG G2
      • LG G3
      The list is expected to grow, though the exact device limitations/requirements for screen casting are still not known.
      r3pwn has created an enabler to use screen mirroring on unsupported devices. Your mileage may vary, but worth checking out.

The lag for screen mirror is minimal under ideal conditions

If you can't get native mirroring for whatever reason, there is a pure software mirror called mirror4cast. It requires root and performance is nowhere near the native screen mirroring, but it does show what's on the Android display and works on devices running older Android versions.
      Yes, via the Cast extension for the Chrome browser
      1. with video?
        Yes, though playback performance will depend greatly on the source format of the video, your computer's processing power and your (home) network's bandwidth and latency.
      2. with full screen video?
        Yes, subject to above, just full-screen the video and it should appear full-screen on Chromecast as well. You can Alt-Tab (Windows) or Cmd-Tab (Mac OS) to let things play in the background while you do other tasks
      While casting, audio will be redirected to Chromecast, so audio will play out of your TV, not your PC. Besides, even if you got the PC speakers playing audio, it would be out of sync with the video on your TV because of compression/decompression and network transfer delay between your computer and Chromecast.
      By default Chromecast uses Google's DNS servers, regardless of what your DHCP-supplied DNS is.
      1. Stock
        You might be able to have Chromecast "fall back" to DHCP-supplied DNS by having your routerWhich one works will depend on your router's response. See this this thread
        If you have a more-intelligent router, you can set up iptables rules to intercept and re-route DNS requests to a different DNS server.
      2. Rooted
        Flashcast-AutoRoot lets you set the DNS in /data/dns.conf
        Eureka-ROM defaults to using the DHCP-supplied DNS servers, and includes presets for common DNS relocators, or you can set manually specify DNS IPs.
        If you are not using Eureka-ROM, there is a mod to use DHCP-supplied DNS. There are also mods to use the Unlocator DNS service and use the UnoTelly DNS service.
    • Can I specify what output resolution (480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc) Chromecast uses?
      Not at this time. You can specify streaming resolution for tab casting, but as far as actual output resolution, Chromecast appears to use the HDMI handshake to determine what it should output. This can potentially be a problem for displays that report 1080p support but do not correctly support 1080p input.
      While Chromecast might connect to a public hotspot or hotel Wi-Fi network, most public hotspots and hotel Wi-Fi networks are configured to disallow connections between clients, which will prevent Chromecast from receiving cast requests and control from your tablet/phone/computer.
      Also, most of them require accepting some Terms of Service in a browser. Since Chromecast has no interface, you can't accept the terms. The same applies if the service requires a passcode or other authentication.
    • Do I need to have another device with WiFi in order to use Chromecast? Can't I just use it from a wired device on my network?
      Yes, at least for setup. Chromecast setup requires a supported Windows computer with WiFi, Mac OS computer with WiFi, Android device with WiFi, or iOS device with WiFi in order to set up Chromecast. This is because Chromecast acts as an access point during its setup process, so you need a WiFi-enabled device to connect to its access point to configure it. Once it is set up and connected to your wireless network, you can cast to Chromecast from both wired and wireless devices (assuming you're on the same subnet and wireless and wired networks are bridged, which is the default for most routers).
      It all depends on your needs and your media.
      @Asphyx posted a comprehensive comparison of the initial offerings.
      There are a number of offerings now including BubbleUPnP, Plex, Avia, RealPlayer Cloud, Localcast, etc. so it's probably best to do some searching and read feedback from other users to determine what's best for your case.
      Old information based on the initial offerings (Avia, Plex, RealPlayer Cloud) hidden below.

Avia is better if...
      1. Your primary playback client is your Android phone/tablet
      2. All your media is in a Chromecast-compatible format, or you are willing to convert it to a Chromecast-compatible format
      3. You have a lot of media on your phone/tablet that you want to play and is Chromecast-compatible
      4. You have a DLNA server that is not a Plex server and you want to cast content from it
      5. You don't want to have a media server running (you don't have a server, or a system you're willing to have running for media playback)
      BubbleUPnP is better if...
      2. All your media is in a Chromecast-compatible format, you are willing to convert it to a Chromecast-compatible format, or you are willing to run BubbleUPnP server
      3. You have a lot of media on your phone/tablet that you want to play and is Chromecast-compatible
      4. You have a DLNA server that is not a Plex server and you want to cast content from it
      5. You don't want to have a media server running (you don't have a server, or a system you're willing to have running for media playback), but you want the option to use one in the future (BubbleUPnP Server)
      Plex is better if...
      1. Your media is not in a Chromecast-compatible format or you have no idea what that means
      2. You have no clue what transcoding means, or you know what transcoding means, but you are unwilling to transcode your media library to make it Chromecast-compatible
      3. You are okay with running Plex Media Server on a system for media playback
      4. You have multiple playback devices (Roku, etc) that you use
      RealPlayer Cloud is better if...
      1. You need transcoding but are unwilling or unable to have a Plex Media Server in your network
      2. You want the convenience of having media on the RealPlayer Cloud
      3. You don't mind uploading non-Chromecast-compatible media to RealPlayer Cloud

3. Connectivity
      1. a computer monitor?
        Yes, in most cases, as long as the computer monitor supports video (as opposed to computer graphics) over HDMI or DVI.
        Note that connecting over DVI may not provide audio, so you may need an HDMI audio extractor device to "break out" the audio to go to speakers or an aux input.
      2. a HDTV with VGA?
        To be honest, it's probably cheaper and easier to upgrade your TV to one with HDMI.
        Yes, but it will require some kind of HDMI-to-VGA or HDMI-to-RGB converter, preferably one with audio output(s) like the HDfury2 or newer.
        If the converter does not have audio output(s), you will also need an HDMI audio extractor device to "break out" the audio to go to speakers or an aux input.
      3. a HDTV with analog component HD input?
        To be honest, it's probably cheaper and easier to upgrade your TV to one with HDMI.
        Yes, but it will require some kind of HDMI-to-Component converter, preferably one with audio output(s) like the HDfury2 or newer.
        If the converter does not have audio output(s), you will also need an HDMI audio extractor device to "break out" the audio to go to speakers or an aux input.
      4. a TV without HD inputs?
        To be honest, it's probably cheaper and easier to upgrade to an HDTV with HDMI.
        Yes, but it will require some kind of converter to convert HDMI to SD Component, S-Video or Composite video and audio.
        Unless your TV automatically handles widescreen input and the converter you choose sets the widescreen flag on output, make sure to get a converter that handles aspect ratio conversion (ARC, not to be confused with Audio Return Channel for HDMI, which is also ARC) as the Chromecast outputs 16:9 widescreen. Otherwise your Chromecast output will be horizontally squashed (people will be extra skinny).
        If the converter does not have audio output(s), you will also need an HDMI audio extractor device to "break out" the audio to go to speakers or an aux input. See this discussion.
      5. an UltraHD ("4K") TV?
        Sure. The TV will upscale the Chromecast output to the TV's native resolution.
      1. AV receiver?
        If your Chromecast is plugged into your AV receiver, it should pick up the audio automatically.
        If Chromecast is connected to your TV and both support ARC (Audio Return Channel), Chromecast's audio should be able to route through the HDMI cable connected between your TV and AV receiver.
        If Chromecast is connected to your TV and one or both do not support ARC, then you will need to take the audio output from your TV back to your AV receiver. TVs usually have a Digital output for this purpose, either coax SPDIF or optical TOSlink which you can take back to your receiver. If you TV's output and receiver's input don't match, you can get a Coax-to-Optical or Optical-to-Coax converter box.
        If Chromecast is connected to your TV, and one or both do not support ARC, and your TV does not have a digital audio output, then you will need to use analog audio, or get an HDMI audio extractor box to "break out" the audio from the HDMI stream so you can route it to your receiver.
      2. external sound bar or speakers?
        If your sound bar or speakers have HDMI input the information above about hooking up to an AV receiver applies.
        For other situations, you will need an HDMI audio extractor box to "break out" the audio from the HDMI stream so you can route it to your receiver as either a digital or analog signal.

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
< Back to Part 1 (or just scroll up)

PART 2
  1. Root
    For additional root questions, please see the Root Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? thread.
      A new root exploit was released on August 22, 2014. This exploit covers devices with builds older than 19084 (the exploit was patched in build 19084) and requires a Teensy 2.0 or 2++ development board along with a powered USB OTG cable and 1G+ flash drive. See this post for all the details!
      Old: Currently only devices with the original vulnerable bootloader (firmware build 12072) can be rooted.
      As newer Chromecasts are already shipping with newer firmware versions (and therefore no vulnerable bootloader), the serial number seems the most reliable way to tell whether an unused, unopened Chromecast can be rooted.
      Once set up, a stock Chromecast will automatically update its firmware (OTA updates from Google), so the serial number test is not valid for Chromecasts that have already connected to the Internet, unless you are very lucky and it has not yet downloaded or applied an update. See this discussion.

• My Chromecast is supposed to be rootable, but it has already downloaded a Google OTA update. Can I still root it?
      A new root exploit was released on August 22, 2014. This exploit covers devices with newer bootloaders (12940-17977, perhaps newer), but requires a Teensy 2.0 or 2++ development board along with a powered USB OTG cable and 1G+ flash drive. See this post for all the details!
      Old: If Chromecast has not applied any OTA update, and you did not let it perform the update at boot, then you may be able to abort the update and still root it by opening it, jumping some pins and booting a FlashCast USB stick (it will delete the cached OTA update data). Not for the faint of heart! See this discussion.
      If your Chromecast has already applied any OTA update (your firmware build is no longer 12072), then no. Once an update is applied, the bootloader vulnerability is removed and you can no longer root with FlashCast.

• How do I root?
      A new root exploit was released on August 22, 2014. This exploit covers devices with newer bootloaders (12940-17977, perhaps newer), but requires a Teensy 2.0 or 2++ development board along with a powered USB OTG cable and 1G+ flash drive. See this post for all the details!
      Old: You go from a stock Chromecast to a rooted Chromecast by using FlashCast to write a rooted firmware (like Eureka-ROM) by using the vulnerability in the original bootloader. The first time you use FlashCast you have to plug it into and boot it on Chromecast twice - first to prepare the FlashCast stick to accept mods, and the second time to flash a rooted, OTA-disabled firmware so you don't lose root.
      Read the Cliff notes version of the procedure, longer more-detailed version, or watch a video of the flashing/rooting process. For a flowchart and troubleshooting, see the Rooting with FlashCast Mini-FAQ.

ADB, Telnet, SSH, protection from Google OTA updates, ability to run unofficial apps (via Eureka-ROM), ability to change default behavior (like use a different DNS than Google) and the power to peek into the dark corners of your device. ;) See this discussion.
      1. Unofficial apps
        • Audiour - free audio sharing Info & Download
        • put.io - download torrents to cloud storage, rather than local
          See this post
        • AllCast (aka AirCast/KoushCast) old beta - stock Chromecasts should use released AllCast - send video stored on Android phone/tablet to Chromecast Download & Info
        • fling - send (Chromecast-compatible) video stored on computer to Chromecast Download & Info No longer works with Cast SDK 2.0
      2. Custom firmware (installing one of these is REQUIRED to preserve root!)
        • Flashcast-AutoRoot Keeps up-to-date with Google updates, automatically rooting on install. No extra features, but you can customize since you have root. Must install another rooted firmware like Eureka-ROM first! (See hidden below)
        • Eureka-ROM (KyoCast functionality and Use DHCP-provided DNS mods built-in, plus automatic Eureka-ROM OTA updates that upgrade while preserving root and a nifty web management panel)
          USB storage can be mounted via shell, see this thread.
        • Stock OS with updates disabled (to preserve root)[/url] no longer maintained, use Flashcast-AutoRoot
        • Rooted build 13300 (ADB and telnet enabled, OTA updates disabled)
        • PwnedCast - replaced by Eureka-ROM above. Existing PwnedCast installs will OTA upgrade to Eureka-ROM, unless you have disabled PwnedCast OTA updates.

3. Mods (apply on top of rooted/custom firmware)
        • Use non-Google DNS (Unlocator, Unotelly, etc) - unnecessary for Eureka-ROM users who can specify DNS via the Eureka web panel
          For reference:
          Use DHCP-supplied DNS
          Use Unlocator DNS service.
          Use UnoTelly DNS service
        • Stock boot animation - switch back to the stock Chromecast boot animation when using custom firmware
        • rCast - use Chromecast as a standalone media player without an Internet connection (applies over Eureka-ROM, see the thread)
        • KyoCast (alternate whitelist) old - see below - run apps that have not been blessed by Google without being a developer.
          KyoCast is being phased out and its functionality is included in Eureka-ROM. For reference only, here is the original discussion on KyoCast

• How can I check what firmware build my Chromecast has if I can't connect it to the Internet?
      Better instructions here.
      In order to use the Chromecast app to check the build, your Chromecast just needs to be connected to your WiFi, it doesn't need Internet. So, disconnect the WAN cable on your router. If you have an integrated modem/router, disconnect the DSL or Cable signal line to it - then nothing will connect to the Internet and you can safely check your Chromecast build from the app. If you have a spare AP or router, you can set up an isolated network and connect your phone/tablet/computer and Chromecast to it for setup.
      Don't forget to disconnect power on Chromecast before you reconnect the Internet!
      To be extra safe, perform a Factory Reset on it by holding down the button until the LED turns red. This will clear the Chromecast settings and it will prompt to be set up again.
      This can happen if the power is pulled or lost during an update.
      You may still have the vulnerable bootloader and be able to get root back, depending on how long it has been since the attempted update.
      Unplug Chromecast from power until you can re-flash the newest Eureka-ROM via OTG.
      This is a good reason to use AC/wall power rather than USB on the TV, as the TV often cuts USB power when the TV is turned off.
      For further details, see this post.
      Also, see note about rooting newer firmware version above.
  2. Official Apps (Questions pertaining to them, not a comprehensive list of official applications)

Last edited:

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Hi have another FAQ to add:

Can Chromecast play Netflix 3D movies ?
Currently, NO.

Just my 5 cents :eek:

Doubtful it ever will either...Most TVs that support 3D have configuration steps that are required to tell it what kind of 3D it is.
And the truth is most TVs that have 3D capability already have NetFlix built into it native so why would you chromecast it at all?

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Doubtful it ever will either...Most TVs that support 3D have configuration steps that are required to tell it what kind of 3D it is.
And the truth is most TVs that have 3D capability already have NetFlix built into it native so why would you chromecast it at all?
Control from phone/tablet. The whole "use your phone/tablet as the remote" is really Chromecast's core differentiator.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Control from phone/tablet. The whole "use your phone/tablet as the remote" is really Chromecast's core differentiator.

Yes I see what your saying...But until HDMI standard includes more communication than just AV I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Something along the lines of HDMI-CEC Plus.

But it would require Two Way communication (Possible with HDMI) so the TV could send messages back through the CC to your unit.

Usually when you play a 3D file the TV asks you if it is 2D/3D and which 3D format it is SBS or HOU.
That would have to be sent to CC and forwarded to your unit which I'm sure is not possible at this point.

The 3D standard was created and so rushed that it never occurred to the engineers that this should be determined in the header of the video so this step could be skipped.The TV would see the header, Switch to the appropriate 3D format and just play!

Truth is the only reason we have 3D (SmartTVs and now 4K) is because when the entire US was forced to upgrade to HD at the same time the Manufactures realized that No one would be needing a new TV the following year...
So they came up with these Gimmicks like 3D, SmartTV and now 4K just to give you some reason to keep buying TVs! LOL

They didn't really think it out fully and the truth is there were 3D TVs before there was even the Broadcasting Equipment as far as Camera Support available to shoot the content these TVs would display! LOL

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Yes I see what your saying...But until HDMI standard includes more communication than just AV I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Something along the lines of HDMI-CEC Plus.
Yeah, if you wanted to truly unify all the remote controls... Right now, it's just the only practical reason you'd Chromecast something from Netflix to your TV rather than using the TV's built-in Netflix.
Another possible advantage to the Chromecast route would be use of a hardware keyboard if your phone/tablet has one.
But some TVs have this already built into their remotes too.

So they came up with these Gimmicks like 3D, SmartTV and now 4K just to give you some reason to keep buying TVs! LOL

They didn't really think it out fully and the truth is there were 3D TVs before there was even the Broadcasting Equipment as far as Camera Support available to shoot the content these TVs would display! LOL
Yup, anaglyph has existed since before I was born, and I played with 3D visualization on an SGI workstation in the very early 90's.
Remember WebTV? Hehehe... Convergence took a few rounds, but it finally arrived... sort of.
Chromecast and Second screen is the next evolution. After all, Netflix invented DIAL.
Hey, those Watchman devices might come back... I have to admit, I kind of want a Galaxy Gear even though it doesn't do video.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
Yeah, if you wanted to truly unify all the remote controls... Right now, it's just the only practical reason you'd Chromecast something from Netflix to your TV rather than using the TV's built-in Netflix.
Another possible advantage to the Chromecast route would be use of a hardware keyboard if your phone/tablet has one.
But some TVs have this already built into their remotes too.

Yup, anaglyph has existed since before I was born, and I played with 3D visualization on an SGI workstation in the very early 90's.
Remember WebTV? Hehehe... Convergence took a few rounds, but it finally arrived... sort of.
Chromecast and Second screen is the next evolution. After all, Netflix invented DIAL.
Hey, those Watchman devices might come back... I have to admit, I kind of want a Galaxy Gear even though it doesn't do video.

It is where I would like to see the Chromecast go at some point.which is why I would like them to add an IR emitter to the CC next.Cause it is almost as useful as a control device as it is a streamer.

Don't laugh...Not only do I remember WebTV I have a neighbor who still USES IT! I tried to get them to switch to a GoogleTV but they were not technically up to it! LOL

3D is great for content that is shot for it. But most content in 3D is shot in 2D and then converted via Software..No Wonder people get headaches watching it! LOL

But back on topic...
I think the chromecast is a great initial first step. If it does well (seems to be doing that) I believe future versions might add some of these features in time.

LonelyHiker

Dec 11, 2013
3d Youtube

Faq to add:
Youtube 3D support: yes

With all the fuss about 3D Netflix, I think people might not have noticed that Chromecast plays 3D Youtube videos perfectly. I can only imagine 3D Netflix will also be possible through Chromecast in the near future.

Reactions: bhiga

aknisley

Jun 4, 2010
Keokuk
Multiple Chromcast's

I was wondering if multiple Chromcast's can be used at the same time on the same network? Only have one now but would like to use other tv's at same time. Though I would ask before buying another one.

preusstang

Jan 13, 2011
May I suggest some additional formatting? It might be easier to search the FAQ if the questions were listed by themselves and also below with the answers, since the list has grown quite a bit and some of the answers are necessarily a bit longer. Its a little daunting when viewing on a smaller screen.

E.g.

1. Is Chromcast cool?
2. Can Chromecast be rooted?
N. This is question N?

---
1. Is Chromecast cool? Yes.
2. Can Chromecast be rooted? Yes, but check here (post link) for bla bla..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
I was wondering if multiple Chromcast's can be used at the same time on the same network? Only have one now but would like to use other tv's at same time. Though I would ask before buying another one.
Yes. I have two actively in use on my network. They will appear in a list by name when you hit the Cast button.

May I suggest some additional formatting? It might be easier to search the FAQ if the questions were listed by themselves and also below with the answers, since the list has grown quite a bit and some of the answers are necessarily a bit longer. Its a little daunting when viewing on a smaller screen.
I agree, it's daunting on small screen (and Tapatalk doesn't seem to 100% support nested bullet lists).

Normally I would put an index at the top but I haven't figured out how to add anchor links in posts (happy for someone to school me here...) so I wasn't sure whether it would add value or just increase the amount of scrolling needed.

Also considering collapsing the links into linked text rather than raw links which get truncated on display anyway.

EDIT: Cleaned up the links a lot. Will revisit the table of contents when I have more time.

Last edited:

MopheusDG

Feb 16, 2012
Faq to add:
Youtube 3D support: yes

With all the fuss about 3D Netflix, I think people might not have noticed that Chromecast plays 3D Youtube videos perfectly. I can only imagine 3D Netflix will also be possible through Chromecast in the near future.

I do agree, but youtube 3D is based on Side By Side or OU conversion, and I think Netflix 3D is really 120 hz frame by frame 3D... so the question is, is Chromcast capable of handling 120 Hz to even start thinking on Netflix 3D ?

Thanks for this FAQ, is great to see Chromecast is starting to grow.

travisjustin

Jan 27, 2013
You can use realplayer cloud to cast local media instead of paying for avia. Noticed the FAQ doesn't mention it ;)

smitherston

Dec 14, 2013
rooted chromecast question

If you have a rooted chromecast and a un rootable chromecast is there some way to wipe the unrootable chromecast and copy a image from your rooted chromecast onto it thus rooting the unrootable chromecast.

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
If you have a rooted chromecast and a un rootable chromecast is there some way to wipe the unrootable chromecast and copy a image from your rooted chromecast onto it thus rooting the unrootable chromecast.
Not that I know of. The bootloader is write-protected and requires a specific unlock to well, unlock.

I guess maybe if you had mad electronics skills, an EEPROM programmer, and enough time, but that seems a lot of work for a $35 device, and this is coming from someone who added an HDMI-Component converter and downscaler to get Chromecast working on a standard definition TV. :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TABLE OF CONTENTS (Note: Only 1st level for brevity)

PART 1
    1. General
    2. Capabilities
    3. Connectivity

https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563143#post48788011
    PART 2
    1. Root
      • How do I root?
      • YouTube
      • HBO GO
      • Avia
      • Plex
      • Netflix
      • RealPlayer Cloud

Proceed to Part 1

PART 1
    1. General
        Read Google's walkthrough, it's much better than the Chromecast product page. Also see Google's Chromecast app page. Here is a list of Chromecast-enabled apps on the Play store.

Important to note here that Chromecast is not a "wireless replacement for a HDMI cable" in all cases. Save for screen-mirroring (coming), use of Chromecast requires that each individual application support it, unlike an HDMI cable which shows the device's entire screen.

In this manner, Chromecast is more like an accessory that enhances applications that support it.
        One advantage Chromecast has over an HDMI cable is that it can run at full 1080p on the TV, whereas HDMI cable connections can be limited to device's screen resolution.

Even though Chromecast is technically a standalone device, it's best to think of it as an extension of your tablet or phone's capabilities, rather than a full-fledged device.
        Yes. See this post for more.
        See this discussion.
        As of March 19, 2014 Chromecast is now available in Canada and Europe.
        You can use Chromecast in other countries but without extra fiddling you will only have access to services available in your country. Region-aware services like YouTube, Netflix and Hulu will only show you content for your country.
        To view content from other countries will require using a DNS relocation service or VPN to get content from another region if the app is not supported in your region. @bagl0312 wrote a guide that should apply to most OpenWRT-based routers.
        See this discussion and Can I use a DNS other than Google? below.
        Also, allowed wireless channels vary outside of the US/Canada, so you might have to set your AP/router to a specific channel if it likes to auto-select one that Chromecast doesn't use.
        The TV output of your phone/tablet/computer shows everything from your phone/tablet/computer, which can be quite nice. But, of course, the output on your TV is dependent on your phone/tablet/computer - you can't turn your phone/tablet/computer off an expect what's playing to continue playing on your TV.

Chromecast, on the other hand, operates independently like a "second screen" type device. You send a request from your phone/tablet/computer to Chromecast and it goes and handle the request to play video, music, etc on its own. Unless you are streaming content stored on your phone/tablet/computer, your phone/tablet/computer is just used to monitor and control Chromecast. You can turn it off, or even have another device take over control. Your phone/tablet/computer is just the remote control for the Chromecast playback, and just like a TV remote control, the TV keeps playing if you take the remote away - you just can't control it. And Chromecast is wireless. :)

If you have a spare Android device with WiFi and TV output, you can try using that as a Chromecast with [App] Cast Receiver app for Android or [App] YouMap Chromecast Receiver for Android
        (Below no longer works as of Cast SDK 2.0 release)
        If you have a spare Android device with WiFi and TV output, you can turn that into a Chromecast with Cheapcast.
        If you already happen to have a computer connected to your TV, you can use it as a Chromecast with the CR Cast extension or Leapcast for Google Chrome.

There's no remote. Your phone/computer/tablet is your remote. That means no more searching for the remote!
        While Chromecast may not have quite as wide a variety of content available, the the list of applications continues to grow.
        Yes. Go here: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup?np=manualsetup
        Also check Google's Chromecast setup pages and Troubleshooter.
        Here's Google's Router Compatibility list. (The old Router Known Issues & Workarounds page seems to be no longer)
        At least one person needed to disable Parental Controls on their router. Access Control and Content Filtering do similar things so if you are having trouble, try toggling those options as well.
        Also, there are some WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations to consider as well. Sustainable WiFi bandwidth is critical for a smooth casting experience.
        ISP-supplied Cisco DPC3825 seems not to allow Chromecast traffic between wired and wireless segments. See this post.
        If you suspect there is a bandwidth or router issue and have Netflix, you can try this diagnostic video
        Chromecast uses the DIAL protocol for discovery and casting.
        Yes. Available Chromecasts will appear in a list by name when you initiate the cast.
        Yes, but only from different apps, for example, casting HBO GO to Chromecast #1 while casting YouTube to Chromecast #2.
        (Expired)
        Yes! And be sure to use it (or give it to a friend or family member) before December 31, 2013 because that's the date the code expires!
        jbl0ggs reports:
        According to Netflix rep, the 3-month Netflix code from the Chromecast promo, can be redeemed until 01/31/2014
        It'll add on to an existing subscription anyway, so don't delay!

The credit applies to your Google Wallet, so you can use the credit for any content on the Google Play Store except for subscriptions. In other words, anything in Google Play Store with the exception of hardware and subscriptions.
        Be sure to redeem your code before March 31, 2014 because that's the date those codes expire, and the funds must be used by March 31, 2015.
        From the Play Store specifications Chromecast supports 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n, though I really don't recommend trying it on an 802.11b network unless you have zero interference and minimal other usage.
        Blinking white - Chromecast is not connected to a WiFi access point, or it needs to be set up.
        * In current FlashCast, this means flashing is in progress.
        Solid white - Chromecast is connected to a WiFi access point. It may or may not be able to reach the Internet.
        * In older versions of FlashCast, this means flashing is in progress.
        Solid red - in the boot process (it should go white afterward), settings reset has been requested (by holding the button down)
        * In FlashCast, this means there was a problem flashing. Bad/missing eureka_image.zip or Chromecast may not be rootable.
        Mirrored source
        Cast SDK issues
        Google Cast Release Notes
        For automatic TV power-on and channel-switching, Chromecast uses HDMI-CEC. Most TVs with HDMI support CEC. Computer monitors, projectors and non-televisions generally do not support CEC.
        HDMI-CEC functionality is sometimes known by other names such as LG Simplink, Panasonic VIERA Link, Samsung Anynet+, Sony BRAVIA Sync. Your TV must have this feature enabled for the input Chromecast is connected to.
        In order for Chromecast to turn your TV on, it must be powered on - not all TVs provide USB power while switched off, so it is recommended to use wall power for Chromecast if you want it to be able to turn your TV on automatically.
        Chromecast does not turn the TV off.
        As of February 3, 2014, it is here!
        Yes, Google has released an Ethernet Adapter for Chromecast. The adapter is a combined power and OTG Ethernet adapter. The network plugs into the power "brick" which then has a long single cable that goes to the Chromecast. When using the Ethernet adapter you do *not* need to provide your wireless credentials to Chromecast. Unfortunately, because the Ethernet is hardwired to the OTG lines, you cannot use the official Ethernet adapter in conjunction with a powered OTG cable or USB storage. Some third-party USB Ethernet adapters should work if you want to easily switch out USB peripherals on rooted ROMs. Google "Chromecast OTG ethernet"
    2. Capabilities
        See Google's list of Chromecast apps.
        You can also check the Chromecast section of Google Play on your Android device for applications that support Chromecast. Store Home > Apps > Categories > Chromecast button at top
        Or you can check the list of Chromecast-enabled apps on the Play store.
        See Google's Supported media types page. Also, Avia notes that Chromecast has difficulty with media bit rates over 10 Mbps. @Asphyx recommends "Encode in H.264 Codec MP4. Keep the Video Bitrate lower than 4000."
        The author of BubbleUPnP has some great information regarding bandwidth and on-the-fly transcoding requirements and how it affects Chromecast streaming. The page is geared toward BubbleUPnP Server, but the information applies to all local-network Chromecast streaming applications.
        If media is in a format compatible with Chromecast...Transcoding allows a file that is not natively supported by Chromecast to be converted on-the-fly for playback on Chromecast.
        Yes, via the Cast extension for the Chrome browser. Note that there will be some lag between what you see on the computer and what you see on Chromecast as performance will depend greatly on your computer's processing power and your (home) network's bandwidth and latency. See this discussion for more.
        Android screen mirroring to Chromecast was officially announced at Google I/O 2014 and went live July 9, 2014. It currently requires KitKat 4.4.1 or higher and a supported device, though see below...
        Supported devices at the moment are
        • Nexus 4
        • Google Nexus 5
        • Google Nexus 7 (2013)
        • Google Nexus 10
        • Samsung Galaxy S4
        • Samsung Galaxy S5
        • Samsung Galaxy Note 3
        • Samsung Galaxy Note 10 (2014)
        • HTC One M7
        • LG G Pro2
        • LG G2
        • LG G3
        The list is expected to grow, though the exact device limitations/requirements for screen casting are still not known.
        r3pwn has created an enabler to use screen mirroring on unsupported devices. Your mileage may vary, but worth checking out.

The lag for screen mirror is minimal under ideal conditions

If you can't get native mirroring for whatever reason, there is a pure software mirror called mirror4cast. It requires root and performance is nowhere near the native screen mirroring, but it does show what's on the Android display and works on devices running older Android versions.
        Yes, via the Cast extension for the Chrome browser
        1. with video?
          Yes, though playback performance will depend greatly on the source format of the video, your computer's processing power and your (home) network's bandwidth and latency.
        2. with full screen video?
          Yes, subject to above, just full-screen the video and it should appear full-screen on Chromecast as well. You can Alt-Tab (Windows) or Cmd-Tab (Mac OS) to let things play in the background while you do other tasks
        While casting, audio will be redirected to Chromecast, so audio will play out of your TV, not your PC. Besides, even if you got the PC speakers playing audio, it would be out of sync with the video on your TV because of compression/decompression and network transfer delay between your computer and Chromecast.
        By default Chromecast uses Google's DNS servers, regardless of what your DHCP-supplied DNS is.
        1. Stock
          You might be able to have Chromecast "fall back" to DHCP-supplied DNS by having your routerWhich one works will depend on your router's response. See this this thread
          If you have a more-intelligent router, you can set up iptables rules to intercept and re-route DNS requests to a different DNS server.
        2. Rooted
          Flashcast-AutoRoot lets you set the DNS in /data/dns.conf
          Eureka-ROM defaults to using the DHCP-supplied DNS servers, and includes presets for common DNS relocators, or you can set manually specify DNS IPs.
          If you are not using Eureka-ROM, there is a mod to use DHCP-supplied DNS. There are also mods to use the Unlocator DNS service and use the UnoTelly DNS service.
        Not at this time. You can specify streaming resolution for tab casting, but as far as actual output resolution, Chromecast appears to use the HDMI handshake to determine what it should output. This can potentially be a problem for displays that report 1080p support but do not correctly support 1080p input.
        While Chromecast might connect to a public hotspot or hotel Wi-Fi network, most public hotspots and hotel Wi-Fi networks are configured to disallow connections between clients, which will prevent Chromecast from receiving cast requests and control from your tablet/phone/computer.
        Also, most of them require accepting some Terms of Service in a browser. Since Chromecast has no interface, you can't accept the terms. The same applies if the service requires a passcode or other authentication.
        Yes, at least for setup. Chromecast setup requires a supported Windows computer with WiFi, Mac OS computer with WiFi, Android device with WiFi, or iOS device with WiFi in order to set up Chromecast. This is because Chromecast acts as an access point during its setup process, so you need a WiFi-enabled device to connect to its access point to configure it. Once it is set up and connected to your wireless network, you can cast to Chromecast from both wired and wireless devices (assuming you're on the same subnet and wireless and wired networks are bridged, which is the default for most routers).
        It all depends on your needs and your media.
        @Asphyx posted a comprehensive comparison of the initial offerings.
        There are a number of offerings now including BubbleUPnP, Plex, Avia, RealPlayer Cloud, Localcast, etc. so it's probably best to do some searching and read feedback from other users to determine what's best for your case.
        Old information based on the initial offerings (Avia, Plex, RealPlayer Cloud) hidden below.

Avia is better if...
        2. All your media is in a Chromecast-compatible format, or you are willing to convert it to a Chromecast-compatible format
        5. You don't want to have a media server running (you don't have a server, or a system you're willing to have running for media playback)
        BubbleUPnP is better if...
        2. All your media is in a Chromecast-compatible format, you are willing to convert it to a Chromecast-compatible format, or you are willing to run BubbleUPnP server
        5. You don't want to have a media server running (you don't have a server, or a system you're willing to have running for media playback), but you want the option to use one in the future (BubbleUPnP Server)
        Plex is better if...
        1. Your media is not in a Chromecast-compatible format or you have no idea what that means
        2. You have no clue what transcoding means, or you know what transcoding means, but you are unwilling to transcode your media library to make it Chromecast-compatible
        3. You are okay with running Plex Media Server on a system for media playback
        4. You have multiple playback devices (Roku, etc) that you use
        RealPlayer Cloud is better if...
        1. You need transcoding but are unwilling or unable to have a Plex Media Server in your network
        2. You want the convenience of having media on the RealPlayer Cloud
        3. You don't mind uploading non-Chromecast-compatible media to RealPlayer Cloud

3. Connectivity
        1. a computer monitor?
          Yes, in most cases, as long as the computer monitor supports video (as opposed to computer graphics) over HDMI or DVI.
          Note that connecting over DVI may not provide audio, so you may need an HDMI audio extractor device to "break out" the audio to go to speakers or an aux input.
        2. a HDTV with VGA?
          Yes, but it will require some kind of HDMI-to-VGA or HDMI-to-RGB converter, preferably one with audio output(s) like the HDfury2 or newer.
        3. a HDTV with analog component HD input?
          Yes, but it will require some kind of HDMI-to-Component converter, preferably one with audio output(s) like the HDfury2 or newer.
        4. a TV without HD inputs?
          To be honest, it's probably cheaper and easier to upgrade to an HDTV with HDMI.
          Yes, but it will require some kind of converter to convert HDMI to SD Component, S-Video or Composite video and audio.
          Unless your TV automatically handles widescreen input and the converter you choose sets the widescreen flag on output, make sure to get a converter that handles aspect ratio conversion (ARC, not to be confused with Audio Return Channel for HDMI, which is also ARC) as the Chromecast outputs 16:9 widescreen. Otherwise your Chromecast output will be horizontally squashed (people will be extra skinny).
          If the converter does not have audio output(s), you will also need an HDMI audio extractor device to "break out" the audio to go to speakers or an aux input. See this discussion.
        5. an UltraHD ("4K") TV?
          Sure. The TV will upscale the Chromecast output to the TV's native resolution.
        1. AV receiver?
          If your Chromecast is plugged into your AV receiver, it should pick up the audio automatically.
          If Chromecast is connected to your TV and both support ARC (Audio Return Channel), Chromecast's audio should be able to route through the HDMI cable connected between your TV and AV receiver.
          If Chromecast is connected to your TV and one or both do not support ARC, then you will need to take the audio output from your TV back to your AV receiver. TVs usually have a Digital output for this purpose, either coax SPDIF or optical TOSlink which you can take back to your receiver. If you TV's output and receiver's input don't match, you can get a Coax-to-Optical or Optical-to-Coax converter box.
          If Chromecast is connected to your TV, and one or both do not support ARC, and your TV does not have a digital audio output, then you will need to use analog audio, or get an HDMI audio extractor box to "break out" the audio from the HDMI stream so you can route it to your receiver.
        2. external sound bar or speakers?
          If your sound bar or speakers have HDMI input the information above about hooking up to an AV receiver applies.
          For other situations, you will need an HDMI audio extractor box to "break out" the audio from the HDMI stream so you can route it to your receiver as either a digital or analog signal.

PART 2
    1. Root
      For additional root questions, please see the Root Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? thread.
        A new root exploit was released on August 22, 2014. This exploit covers devices with builds older than 19084 (the exploit was patched in build 19084) and requires a Teensy 2.0 or 2++ development board along with a powered USB OTG cable and 1G+ flash drive. See this post for all the details!
        Old: Currently only devices with the original vulnerable bootloader (firmware build 12072) can be rooted.
        As newer Chromecasts are already shipping with newer firmware versions (and therefore no vulnerable bootloader), the serial number seems the most reliable way to tell whether an unused, unopened Chromecast can be rooted.
        Once set up, a stock Chromecast will automatically update its firmware (OTA updates from Google), so the serial number test is not valid for Chromecasts that have already connected to the Internet, unless you are very lucky and it has not yet downloaded or applied an update. See this discussion.

Old: If Chromecast has not applied any OTA update, and you did not let it perform the update at boot, then you may be able to abort the update and still root it by opening it, jumping some pins and booting a FlashCast USB stick (it will delete the cached OTA update data). Not for the faint of heart! See this discussion.
        If your Chromecast has already applied any OTA update (your firmware build is no longer 12072), then no. Once an update is applied, the bootloader vulnerability is removed and you can no longer root with FlashCast.

• How do I root?
        Old: You go from a stock Chromecast to a rooted Chromecast by using FlashCast to write a rooted firmware (like Eureka-ROM) by using the vulnerability in the original bootloader. The first time you use FlashCast you have to plug it into and boot it on Chromecast twice - first to prepare the FlashCast stick to accept mods, and the second time to flash a rooted, OTA-disabled firmware so you don't lose root.
        Read the Cliff notes version of the procedure, longer more-detailed version, or watch a video of the flashing/rooting process. For a flowchart and troubleshooting, see the Rooting with FlashCast Mini-FAQ.

ADB, Telnet, SSH, protection from Google OTA updates, ability to run unofficial apps (via Eureka-ROM), ability to change default behavior (like use a different DNS than Google) and the power to peek into the dark corners of your device. ;) See this discussion.
        1. Unofficial apps
          • Audiour - free audio sharing Info & Download
          • put.io - download torrents to cloud storage, rather than local
            See this post
          • AllCast (aka AirCast/KoushCast) old beta - stock Chromecasts should use released AllCast - send video stored on Android phone/tablet to Chromecast Download & Info
          • fling - send (Chromecast-compatible) video stored on computer to Chromecast Download & Info No longer works with Cast SDK 2.0
        2. Custom firmware (installing one of these is REQUIRED to preserve root!)
          • Flashcast-AutoRoot Keeps up-to-date with Google updates, automatically rooting on install. No extra features, but you can customize since you have root. Must install another rooted firmware like Eureka-ROM first! (See hidden below)
          • Eureka-ROM (KyoCast functionality and Use DHCP-provided DNS mods built-in, plus automatic Eureka-ROM OTA updates that upgrade while preserving root and a nifty web management panel)
            USB storage can be mounted via shell, see this thread.
          • Stock OS with updates disabled (to preserve root)[/url] no longer maintained, use Flashcast-AutoRoot
          • Rooted build 13300 (ADB and telnet enabled, OTA updates disabled)
          • PwnedCast - replaced by Eureka-ROM above. Existing PwnedCast installs will OTA upgrade to Eureka-ROM, unless you have disabled PwnedCast OTA updates.

3. Mods (apply on top of rooted/custom firmware)
          • Use non-Google DNS (Unlocator, Unotelly, etc) - unnecessary for Eureka-ROM users who can specify DNS via the Eureka web panel
            For reference:
            Use DHCP-supplied DNS
            Use Unlocator DNS service.
            Use UnoTelly DNS service
          • Stock boot animation - switch back to the stock Chromecast boot animation when using custom firmware
          • rCast - use Chromecast as a standalone media player without an Internet connection (applies over Eureka-ROM, see the thread)
          • KyoCast (alternate whitelist) old - see below - run apps that have not been blessed by Google without being a developer.
            KyoCast is being phased out and its functionality is included in Eureka-ROM. For reference only, here is the original discussion on KyoCast

Better instructions here.
        In order to use the Chromecast app to check the build, your Chromecast just needs to be connected to your WiFi, it doesn't need Internet. So, disconnect the WAN cable on your router. If you have an integrated modem/router, disconnect the DSL or Cable signal line to it - then nothing will connect to the Internet and you can safely check your Chromecast build from the app. If you have a spare AP or router, you can set up an isolated network and connect your phone/tablet/computer and Chromecast to it for setup.
        Don't forget to disconnect power on Chromecast before you reconnect the Internet!
        To be extra safe, perform a Factory Reset on it by holding down the button until the LED turns red. This will clear the Chromecast settings and it will prompt to be set up again.
        This can happen if the power is pulled or lost during an update.
        You may still have the vulnerable bootloader and be able to get root back, depending on how long it has been since the attempted update.
        Unplug Chromecast from power until you can re-flash the newest Eureka-ROM via OTG.
        This is a good reason to use AC/wall power rather than USB on the TV, as the TV often cuts USB power when the TV is turned off.
        For further details, see this post.
        Also, see note about rooting newer firmware version above.

Let us know how it goes - I'm definitely curious as to whether your AVR can pull the audio without relying on the TV to send it back down. I can't really think of a technical reason it shouldn't be able to. The audio return is really meant for when the TV is doing on-board decoding, like when using an on-board QAM tuner.

Using the CC with my AVR has turned out to be a great solution for me. Connecting the CC directly to my AVR allows me to listen to Google music without the TV on :D
    Root or not to root? I have a rootable one but don't have access to a computer at the moment thought. And I know there is some apps that I can use local files with and screen mirroring with but was there a way to root from a android terminal just curious or a imager app? Kinda wanna use this kinda been putting it off lol

Hi, if you don't have access to a computer, but you have a powered USB OTG cable, you might be able to root it only with your phone, even without a flash drive.
    There is an app called Drivedroid which simulates a flash drive from your phone. Not every phone is supported, but I believe it works on most of them, it works on my old HD2 and on my 2012 Nexus 7 just fine. I haven't tested it, but you might be able to make your phone emulate the flashcast drive image and boot from that, and then root. This is just a theory, though. I don't know if DriveDroid supports the Flashcast image format. But there is no harm in trying.

If you do not have a powered OTG cable or anything similar, you are unfortunately still out of luck.

Post back if it worked.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

Or, I thought of a way that could be much easier.

If your phone is rooted and supports USB OTG, you can download the flashcast disk image and dd it from your phone to a flash drive. In Android Terminal Emulator type:
    Code:
    dd if=/path/to/downloaded/image.bin of=/path/to/flashdrive/device bs=1m
    Warning: this will DELETE EVERYTHING on your flash drive and there is no way to get it back. You have been warned.
    Also, if you are NOT 100% SURE with the path to your flash drive device, do not use this command, YOU COULD OVERWRITE SOMETHING IMPORTANT on your device and somehow damage it. In general, anything that begins /dev/block/mmc... is wrong, it is in the internal memory on the phone, not the flash drive. Really, be very careful. You have been warned.

You should find out where is your flash drive device in the filesystem (NOT /usbdisk or /storage/usbdisk or similar, it is probably somewhere in /dev). On my tablet, it was on /dev/block/sda, but this can vary across devices. You can find out by looking into /dev/block with a file manager, first with the flash drive connected and then with the flash drive disconnected, and see what files are missing there.

When you prepare your flash drive this way, you can continue with the flashcast guide.

I just tested this on my Nexus 7 and it works well.