[Q] LG Optimus G Menu Button Quit Working

Search This thread

Vortex777

Dec 13, 2013
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum. I tried searching, but haven't found the answer yet so posting here.

I have an LG Optimus G which I bought about 2 months ago from ebay. Phone was in brand new condition and the seller claimed that he only used it once (a few hours) but didn't like the interface so he went back to iPhone. The phone has worked flawlessly until today when the menu button quit working. It is not registering any touch on that side; although the button lights up when the home and back buttons or the screen is used. It is only the menu button that has gone bad. I have not recently installed any updates either. The last update I installed was 11/19/2013. It is running Android version 4.1.2.

Is there a fix to this problem? I am really bummed that being my first android phone, I was starting to like this phone a lot and now this problem has come up!

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Rishi.

Nov 6, 2012
New Delhi
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum. I tried searching, but haven't found the answer yet so posting here.

I have an LG Optimus G which I bought about 2 months ago from ebay. Phone was in brand new condition and the seller claimed that he only used it once (a few hours) but didn't like the interface so he went back to iPhone. The phone has worked flawlessly until today when the menu button quit working. It is not registering any touch on that side; although the button lights up when the home and back buttons or the screen is used. It is only the menu button that has gone bad. I have not recently installed any updates either. The last update I installed was 11/19/2013. It is running Android version 4.1.2.

Is there a fix to this problem? I am really bummed that being my first android phone, I was starting to like this phone a lot and now this problem has come up!

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Welcome to the Community.

Although , I haven't heard about this problem earlier. But in case if that's a hardware problem , then with some tweaks , on-screen buttons can be used , like in N4. It's an alternative.
However , for that the phone should be rooted.
In case if you have warranty available , then you should probably take it to the nearest service center. But if not , then I guess rooting it shouldn't cause any issue , as there is no warranty left to void.

Apparently , is there any app that you have installed recently that is meant for tweaking some settings of your droid ??

Last edited:

Vortex777

Dec 13, 2013
Welcome to the Community.

Although , I haven't heard about this problem earlier. But in case if that's a hardware problem , then with some tweaks , on-screen buttons can be used , like in N4. It's an alternative.
However , for that the phone should be rooted.
In case if you have warranty available , then you should probably take it to the nearest service center. But if not , then I guess rooting it shouldn't cause any issue , as there is no warranty left to void.

Apparently , is there any app that you have installed recently that is meant for tweaking some settings of your droid ??

Rishi,

Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply. I didn't install any app for tweaking the settings. The last two apps I installed were Mercury Messenger and Skype.

As far as warranty goes, how do I find out if it is still in warranty or not since I bought the phone on ebay? Not sure how long the seller had the phone before I bought it.

Do you think hard resetting would help?

Thanks

Rishi.

Nov 6, 2012
New Delhi
Rishi,

Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply. I didn't install any app for tweaking the settings. The last two apps I installed were Mercury Messenger and Skype.

As far as warranty goes, how do I find out if it is still in warranty or not since I bought the phone on ebay? Not sure how long the seller had the phone before I bought it.

Do you think hard resetting would help?

Thanks
If it were a hardware problem, I don't think hard reset will do any good.
But you can try to take a backup and then try resetting it once.

As far as warranty is concerned, you can check with the owner of the phone from whom this phone was purchased on eBay. Of he has a valid bill with remaining warranty then maybe you could be lucky.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Rishi.

Nov 6, 2012
New Delhi
You can try this to check if it's really not registering any touch on the home key.

GO through this step. ( I assume , you're on Stock )
In the phone type in : 3845#*970#
It'll open a hidden menu with loads of options for testing .
GO to : HW Device test (options 2 from top)
-> Touch test, ( option 4 from top.)
->Touch sensing test.

You can perform various touch test and buttons test there to see what areas are having trouble registering touch inputs.

Reactions: adfurgerson

Vortex777

Dec 13, 2013
You can try this to check if it's really not registering any touch on the home key.

->Touch sensing test.

You can perform various touch test and buttons test there to see what areas are having trouble registering touch inputs.

Thanks Rishi,

I performed the touch test and yes the menu location is not registering touch. Rest everything else is registering touch correctly. I have contacted the seller to see if they can help.

So, say if it is not in warranty, what else can be done?

Thanks!

Rishi.

Nov 6, 2012
New Delhi
If not under warranty then it's going to cost quite a bit. I have no idea about the cost and internals though.

IMO, you can continue with the onscreen overlay button fix, if it asks too much to get repaired.
It'll like as if you were using a nexus 4 with external memory support and lte.

Vortex777

Dec 13, 2013
try going to the LG website and requesting a repair. I got mine off of Ebay as well and surprisingly it was still covered. (proximity sensor broke and it was repaired by LG)

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for your reply, ChummyDays,

Question though; how did you establish the proof of purchase LG requires you to send (I am guessing, you bought yours used like mine)?

Phillyz96

Jun 4, 2014
I dropped my phone few days ago and now my home, menu and back buttons are not working properly. espesially the back button 'goes on' sometimes and it shuts everything what i open immediately. home and menu buttons just dont respond sometimes on my touch. Is there anyway I can fix it myself? I also thought about the on screen buttons, but couldnt find any tweaks for that.

cletusarrarr

Apr 11, 2009
if your buttopns r broke install xposed, will need root and install gravity box and enable the navigation bar.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

->Touch sensing test.