Fix adaptive brightness (all windows 8)

Search This thread

antys86

Oct 20, 2009
I customized a luminosity curve for my surface rt, just edit the registry keys.
Download extract and run the attached .reg file and confirm the insertion of the Keys, then reboot the system.
Alert to make a backup of the old keys if you want to restore the previous state.
This change is compatible with all windows 8 but I have tested only on the surface.
Adaptive brightness varies proportionally to the user manual brightness, I suggest to manually adjust the brightness bar to about 20%, if you place the bar at 0 the brightness will be minimal with no automatic adaptation.
Appreciated thanks

New version v2
New improved version.
Try it and tell me if it's okay.
In the zip you will find the normal version and one with more brightness in the dark
I suggest to manually adjust the brightness bar to about 25%

Attachments

• AdaptiveBrightness.zip
    545 bytes · Views: 698
  • AdaptiveBrightness.v2.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 2,403
Last edited:

antys86

Oct 20, 2009
Someone asked me why I did this!
In my surface the luminosity curve does not satisfy me.
The display seemed to have only three levels of brightness, setting an average value (ie on the desk in the room in the morning) adaptivity did not fit values ​​for low-light (night) and lots of light, that is to say the brightness in the dark was not a minimum making it annoying for the view and unnecessary consumption of battery, instead with shaded light levels brightness became easily maximum, with again a waste of battery.
This forced me to move often the brightness bar manually, but now with my calibration does not touch more because it adapts automatically to any light condition.
Also the adaptation of brightness occurred after 3 seconds by the change of light, whereas now changes instantly in 0,1 seconds (100ms).

Last edited:

ashwin1234

Sep 3, 2011
Awesome, didn't know windows could be modded to do this! On a more related note, isn't the update interval a bit too high? 30x faster than normal seems a bit excessive and the battery drain would be very much more. If it is not too much trouble, could you perhaps make a version that updates every 1 second? This way people can download whichever one suits them best.

antys86

Oct 20, 2009
version 1sec

It is not the refresh rate of the sensor, but the time between changes in display brightness because of lighting conditions.
This parameter does not affect the battery consumption.
However, to keep you happy I attach the version by 1 second.
Tell me if the curve satisfy you in different light conditions.

ashwin1234

Sep 3, 2011
Thank you, going to try it out now. What do you mean it is the time between changes of brightness? Shouldn't the brightness only change when the sensor detects it? Or is this a filtering via an average for the time period method?

Going to try out both of them to see the differences. Will report back here.

Back!: guess I understand what you are saying, the timing is just the gap between the different brightness levels, not the sensor reading. Sorry for the confusion caused.

I found the 1 sec one to not have a wide enough brightness range, but your original 0.1 sec one works perfectly. Using it now!

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

antys86

Oct 20, 2009
Yes, is the time to change between the different levels of brightness.
1 sec or 0.1 sec, the luminosity curve is the same.
Just for curiosity on what hardware you have tested?

Last edited:
Reactions: ashwin1234

ashwin1234

Sep 3, 2011
I'm using it on a surface rt. But now I notice in the dark, I can't manually increase brightness anymore. I didn't backup my registry either, but its okay.

Edit: I can edit the brightness manually if I disable the auto brightness under settings

Last edited:

nalrodriguez

Sep 12, 2012
.Hey guys i been using this on the surfaxe pro 2 and i forgot to backup the defualt reg, i have no problems with it , i just wanted to compare wich i like the best, any chance any of you have the default reg backed uo.. thanks in advance

antys86

Oct 20, 2009
.Hey guys i been using this on the surfaxe pro 2 and i forgot to backup the defualt reg, i have no problems with it , i just wanted to compare wich i like the best, any chance any of you have the default reg backed uo.. thanks in advance
On surface 1 just delete the ALRPoints key for the default curve value, on surface 2 I think is the same.

aaron.helin

Feb 18, 2010

Here you go ;)
I made a backup before deploying it on my Surface 2 Pro..
Since I applied it just now, I will need to test it before giving comments on how good it works for me..

Attachments

• AdaptiveBrightness_BACKUP.zip
    795 bytes · Views: 106

antys86

Oct 20, 2009
Here you go ;)
I made a backup before deploying it on my Surface 2 Pro..
Since I applied it just now, I will need to test it before giving comments on how good it works for me..

Also doing the restore of your backup, you must delete the key "ALRpoints".
This is the right backup

Attachments

• AdaptiveBrightness_BACKUP.zip
    459 bytes · Views: 138
Reactions: aaron.helin

XTCrefugee

Jun 23, 2006
Fairphone 5
New version v2
New improved version.
In the zip you will find the normal version and one with more brightness in the dark

Thanks antys86, I'm using just your ALRPoints values (the morelightnight version) on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, and finally auto brightness is usable! Brightness needs to be set at 100% for me though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I customized a luminosity curve for my surface rt, just edit the registry keys.
    Download extract and run the attached .reg file and confirm the insertion of the Keys, then reboot the system.
    Alert to make a backup of the old keys if you want to restore the previous state.
    This change is compatible with all windows 8 but I have tested only on the surface.
    Adaptive brightness varies proportionally to the user manual brightness, I suggest to manually adjust the brightness bar to about 20%, if you place the bar at 0 the brightness will be minimal with no automatic adaptation.
    Appreciated thanks

New version v2
    New improved version.
    more light night

My intent was never to touch the brightness bar!
    In this version, setting the bar more than about 25%, I raised slightly the minimum brightness
    version 1sec

It is not the refresh rate of the sensor, but the time between changes in display brightness because of lighting conditions.
    This parameter does not affect the battery consumption.
    However, to keep you happy I attach the version by 1 second.
    Tell me if the curve satisfy you in different light conditions.
    Yes, is the time to change between the different levels of brightness.
    1 sec or 0.1 sec, the luminosity curve is the same.
    Just for curiosity on what hardware you have tested?
    I'm happy for you. However, work in progress for a new version.