FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[FLASHABLE ZIP] Google Gapps + Amazon AppShop - HDX 7", 8.9" (Thor, Apollo)

960 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,355

By Cpasjuste, Senior Member on 20th December 2013, 02:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation
Informations
  • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
  • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Cpasjuste For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cpasjuste Ad-Free

20th December 2013, 02:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Will this work for 8.9 hdx?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app
20th December 2013, 02:36 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggamonkey

Will this work for 8.9 hdx?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using xda app-developers app

Oups, forget to specifiy that i have the 7" model ...
Dunno, the main and most work is in the "services.odex" file, so maybe it's the same on both devices ! Is safestrap available on the 8.9 ? If there is a way to recover from "system" tricks then i could find the time to recompile this file for you guys.
20th December 2013, 02:55 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpasjuste

Hi,

after a lot of work this night i finally got everything up and working including working play store downloads !
Here is a simple howto, i'm sure confirmed users won't have problems to get it working, and for other i'm sure there will be other howto in the next few days

BE SURE TO WORK ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

So here we go !

• Start from a stock, clean backup
  • Remove a few system apps (amazon mp3, slik browser...) to free space on system partition for gapps else it won't completely install
  • Install gapps from recovery : gapps-jb-20130812-signed.zip
  • Remove "/system/app/SetupWizard.apk" to bypass gapps welcome screen as it depends on stock "Settings.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/MarketIntentProxy_1010.apk" (not sure if needed)
  • Replace "/system/framework/services.odex" with this one (recompiled with signature check disabled) : services.odex
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProvider.odex"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.apk"
  • Remove "/system/app/DownloadProviderUi.odex"
  • Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProvider.apk to "/system/app/"
  • Copy CM-10.1 DownloadProviderUI.apk to "/system/app/"
  • Update google play games services to version 4.0.34 (not sure if needed anymore as it will probably be downloaded from playstore)

If you get some fc, try clearing cache and dalvik cache. I will maybe try to build a custom rom from that but time will probably miss me !
I'm sure that confirmed hackers here will get it working with the provided files and write a better howto soon

Enjoy and merry Christmas !

You may have just given me the excuse I needed to root...
20th December 2013, 03:21 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Quote:

Hi,

after a lot of work this night i finally got everything up and working including working play store downloads !

You sir are a genius! Thanks so much for giving us the access to the play store for downloads. It's a christmas miracle! I can verify that this does indeed work on the 7" HDX.
The Following User Says Thank You to berndt_toast For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift berndt_toast Ad-Free
20th December 2013, 03:26 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndt_toast

You sir are a genius! Thanks so much for giving us the access to the play store for downloads. It's a christmas miracle! I can verify that this does indeed work on the 7" HDX.

I can confirm that this does indeed work
I'm not explaining a lot but if you are used to this i'm sure you'll find your way
20th December 2013, 03:32 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

I can confirm that this does indeed work
I'm not explaining a lot but if you are used to this i'm sure you'll find your way

Edit: I somehow got into a boot loop. After I downloaded some updates, it restarted automatically to the kindle fire loading screen, then to the updating apps screen, then back to the Kindle Fire loading screen and kept on doing this. I had to hard reboot to get it to stop. Followed your instructions to a T. Any ideas? I did try to clear the cache and dalvik cache, but that did not help.
20th December 2013, 04:06 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndt_toast

Edit: I somehow got into a boot loop. After I downloaded some updates, it restarted automatically to the kindle fire loading screen, then to the updating apps screen, then back to the Kindle Fire loading screen and kept on doing this. I had to hard reboot to get it to stop. Followed your instructions to a T. Any ideas? I did try to clear the cache and dalvik cache, but that did not help.

You mean you was able to download some updates from the market then boot loop ? After the hard reset is it working? I didn't had a lot of time to play with it but didn't had a problem yet. I may have done other tweeks that i forget but don't think so. I know i did "chmod 777 /data/dalvik-cache" as i think there was some permissions problem there but tougth it was not the case. Maybe it is..

A complete logcat output could help.

I have to go but will come back in a few hours to help..
20th December 2013, 04:14 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

You mean you was able to download some updates from the market then boot loop ? After the hard reset is it working? I didn't had a lot of time to play with it but didn't had a problem yet. I may have done other tweeks that i forget but don't think so. I know i did "chmod 777 /data/dalvik-cache" as i think there was some permissions problem there but tougth it was not the case. Maybe it is..

A complete logcat output could help.

I have to go but will come back in a few hours to help..

Yep, after downloading some app updates from the google play market, it automatically restarted and looped. After the hard reset it did not work. I reverted back to my stock backup for the time being. I tried fixing permissions in Safestrap, but that did not work either. I wonder if others are having this problem.
20th December 2013, 04:39 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
I think there is not a lot of others as it's the first hack out there that (should) works !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app
20th December 2013, 04:47 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

I think there is not a lot of others as it's the first hack out there that (should) works !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

Yeah, would be nice if someone can put the necessary files and commands into a flashable zip file.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)