[HOW-TO]-[param-mod]-[BOOTLOGO]

Search This thread

tys0n

[i8190][HOW-TO]-[param-mod]-[BOOTLOGO]

!!Disclaimer!!
You will be responsible for your own work. Don't blame me for anything that might go wrong with your phone.
I've done this and it worked just fine, but then again...i'm not you
:)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref. and research:
What is param.lfs, and why do we have it?

Param.lfs is needed for the bootloader to go on with the boot. Inside your phone there's a /lfs-partition which works as a image cache for the bootloader. It contains the bootimages, charging, warning, etc etc.
If image is not there it will fail to boot.

After extracting all images in param.lfs with "param-tools" I noticed there was a difference from the param folder in the phone.
One picture was missing in param.lfs.

In "/mnt/.lfs" there is a "logo.jpg" which is nowhere to be found in param.lfs.
View attachment param-extracted.zip
As you see in the zip, all bootimages are very low-res (96X160) but that "logo.jpg" in device is 480X800 so I realized that it must be created inside device on first boot after flash, somehow rendered from the two low-res images inside param.lfs.
I asked a few friends with L/N-models about their logo.jpg and they confirmed that it was there, but of course with the bootimage for their L/N-model.
I copied the "logo.jpg" from device and dd'd the param-partition from device and started searching for that "logo.jpg"...

This is where my work start.
Ok so we all got it, but it's different for all models, right. What if I change the 640X480 "logo.jpg" from the dd'd param instead of edit the small 90X160 model-specific images that other how-to's and mods suggested, which would have to be done for all models.... A total of six images!
This way, edit one 640X480 "logo.jpg" should make it work on all models, and it did!
So, how do we look whats inside param, and what do we look for?
We have to use a hexeditor to be able to do anything. I used HxD. Other editors work as well, but they have different options for copy/paste etc.
A *.jpg in hex always starts with "FF D8" and ends with "FF D9" (Ref.)

How to do it..​
First you'll have to make a "logo.jpg". Choose your tools for that as it will not be covered in this how-to.
Save your created picture as logo.jpg, 480X800, NOT BIGGER THAN 64673bytes. (176241 in octal numbers)

This is only safe with this specific param.(Attached at the buttom of post) Other params may have the picture in different offset.

Open attached param.lfs in HxD.
param1.JPG
We will work with octal values.
Choose edit/select block.
Start:02464000 --> End: 02662240 (The lenght should now be 176241)
param3.jpg
param4.JPGStart of block
param5.JPGEnd of block
Go to File/new. A new empty tab will open.
With the new tab in front -->Edit/insert bytes.
param6.jpg
Bytecount must be same as the lenght-value from the block we marked in original param.lfs (176241)
You'll get a notification, just klick yes.
Now we have an empty block in the same lenght as the picture we want to change.
Open your 480X800 logo.jpg in HxD. Right klick/select all, then copy.
Go back to the empty file we made, right klick/paste write. (make sure you runnung HxB in overwrite mode.)
param7.jpg
Save it as logo.jpg.
We should now have a new logo.jpg with exact the same lenght as the one in param.lfs.
Copy it the same way we did before, but now you paste write it into the marked space in param.lfs.
Save it as param.lfs and make sure its not bigger than original param.lfs.
You're done!
Now you can open (not unzip) the attached cwm-zip and overwrite the param.lfs in there, and flash in your custom recovery.
The one inside is an inverted i8190 stock image. Black on white background.
logo.jpg

Some of the params I've made so far. Here you'll also find odin flashable params if anything goes wrong. Download mode will still be accessable.

I believe this should work for other Samsung devices as well, with their specific param, and the right offsets for that param.

Thanks to @ketut.kumajaya for param-tools, @DemonWav for reference for where to start.

Attachments

• i8190-CWM-param.zip
    719.2 KB · Views: 1,356
  • orig_param.zip
    576.7 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited:

ketut.kumajaya

Recognized Developer
Apr 28, 2011
Bekasi
Glad to know, as a reference my script useful here. How about creating a param.lfs as a base for param-tools, so no need any hex editor for a different boot logo.

tys0n

Glad to know, as a reference my script useful here. How about creating a param.lfs as a base for param-tools, so no need any hex editor for a different boot logo.
Yes, param-tools is really a great tool :) Thank you for that!

I do't know much about scripts but it's a good idea :)
Do you mean like put the param and new logo.jpg in a folder, run a command to insert it to param?

romimpaired

Nov 8, 2013
Hollywood
Same procedure, different values..

Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599
View attachment 2272892Original logo.jpg (64673byte)
Original param.lfs View attachment 2272887
Octal values in original param: 3274000-->3465472. Length: 171473

Hello tys0n, any chance I could get you to PM me an odin or cwm flashable param.lfs for the T599n? I am trying to get Cygwin / param tools to work but my system just isn't up to the task. Greatly appreciated and keep up the great work!

romimpaired

Nov 8, 2013
Hollywood
Hi. I think I only got a param for T-Mobile.
T599n is metro, right?
If yours is fine then maybe you can make a backup, zip it, and attach it here so I can take a look at it :)

Sent through time and space from my s3mini/CM10.2

Hey tyson, sorry for taking so long to follow-up...holidays were upon us and took my time away. Anyway...i was able to grab the param.lfs from your previous post in this thread and dd the file through terminal emulator. Worked, no more scrambled boot screen. thanks to everyone who posted the information somewhere in these convoluted threads.

Last edited:

joker79

Sep 26, 2010
Hi evry one

Tyson please i need param.ifs for I8190N. I flash I8190 param.ifs and boot jpg now is I8190. Please can you givme to flash back.

macieek1235

Mar 2, 2014
Hi
Thank you for this tutorial it is really good but i can't do it :(

Last edited:

macieek1235

Mar 2, 2014
Could anyone help me.
I tried to make bootlogo but it doesn't work.
so could you make it for me with the logo of google
out.php

Last edited:

tys0n

Thanks can I make boot logo with my own photo ?

Yes you can :)

Yes you can but you also can share a request image and someone will do it for you ;)

There is a thread where you can do it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432783

That is true. You can make a request, or give me a pm if you want any help to make one, or if you don't want to share your image with the whole forum.

Sent through time and space from my s3mini/CM11

tys0n

I will update this guide soon! I'm now using "010 Editor" which is both powerful and available for windows, osx and linux. I will add empty templates with correct fileize where you can just paste/overwrite with your new image. I will add values for all i8190-models and SGH-T599 models. If you got more ideas, please send me a pm and let me know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [i8190][HOW-TO]-[param-mod]-[BOOTLOGO]

!!Disclaimer!!
    You will be responsible for your own work. Don't blame me for anything that might go wrong with your phone.
    I've done this and it worked just fine, but then again...i'm not you
    :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ref. and research:
    What is param.lfs, and why do we have it?

Param.lfs is needed for the bootloader to go on with the boot. Inside your phone there's a /lfs-partition which works as a image cache for the bootloader. It contains the bootimages, charging, warning, etc etc.
    If image is not there it will fail to boot.

After extracting all images in param.lfs with "param-tools" I noticed there was a difference from the param folder in the phone.
    One picture was missing in param.lfs.

In "/mnt/.lfs" there is a "logo.jpg" which is nowhere to be found in param.lfs.
    View attachment param-extracted.zip
    As you see in the zip, all bootimages are very low-res (96X160) but that "logo.jpg" in device is 480X800 so I realized that it must be created inside device on first boot after flash, somehow rendered from the two low-res images inside param.lfs.
    I asked a few friends with L/N-models about their logo.jpg and they confirmed that it was there, but of course with the bootimage for their L/N-model.
    I copied the "logo.jpg" from device and dd'd the param-partition from device and started searching for that "logo.jpg"...

This is where my work start.
    Ok so we all got it, but it's different for all models, right. What if I change the 640X480 "logo.jpg" from the dd'd param instead of edit the small 90X160 model-specific images that other how-to's and mods suggested, which would have to be done for all models.... A total of six images!
    This way, edit one 640X480 "logo.jpg" should make it work on all models, and it did!
    So, how do we look whats inside param, and what do we look for?
    We have to use a hexeditor to be able to do anything. I used HxD. Other editors work as well, but they have different options for copy/paste etc.
    A *.jpg in hex always starts with "FF D8" and ends with "FF D9" (Ref.)

How to do it..​
    First you'll have to make a "logo.jpg". Choose your tools for that as it will not be covered in this how-to.
    Save your created picture as logo.jpg, 480X800, NOT BIGGER THAN 64673bytes. (176241 in octal numbers)

This is only safe with this specific param.(Attached at the buttom of post) Other params may have the picture in different offset.

Open attached param.lfs in HxD.
    param1.JPG
    We will work with octal values.
    Choose edit/select block.
    Start:02464000 --> End: 02662240 (The lenght should now be 176241)
    param3.jpg
    param4.JPGStart of block
    param5.JPGEnd of block
    Go to File/new. A new empty tab will open.
    With the new tab in front -->Edit/insert bytes.
    param6.jpg
    Bytecount must be same as the lenght-value from the block we marked in original param.lfs (176241)
    You'll get a notification, just klick yes.
    Now we have an empty block in the same lenght as the picture we want to change.
    Open your 480X800 logo.jpg in HxD. Right klick/select all, then copy.
    Go back to the empty file we made, right klick/paste write. (make sure you runnung HxB in overwrite mode.)
    param7.jpg
    Save it as logo.jpg.
    We should now have a new logo.jpg with exact the same lenght as the one in param.lfs.
    Copy it the same way we did before, but now you paste write it into the marked space in param.lfs.
    Save it as param.lfs and make sure its not bigger than original param.lfs.
    You're done!
    Now you can open (not unzip) the attached cwm-zip and overwrite the param.lfs in there, and flash in your custom recovery.
    The one inside is an inverted i8190 stock image. Black on white background.
    logo.jpg

Some of the params I've made so far. Here you'll also find odin flashable params if anything goes wrong. Download mode will still be accessable.

I believe this should work for other Samsung devices as well, with their specific param, and the right offsets for that param.

Thanks to @ketut.kumajaya for param-tools, @DemonWav for reference for where to start.
    I will update this guide soon! I'm now using "010 Editor" which is both powerful and available for windows, osx and linux. I will add empty templates with correct fileize where you can just paste/overwrite with your new image. I will add values for all i8190-models and SGH-T599 models. If you got more ideas, please send me a pm and let me know.
    Same procedure, different values..

Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599
    logo.jpgOriginal logo.jpg (64673byte)
    Original param.lfs View attachment sgh-t599-param.zip
    Octal values in original param: 3274000-->3465472. Length: 171473
    Tbh I am still lost lol :p.

Sent from my _______ . You fill in the blank
    Haha. I'm no hex guru either :silly: Still learning.
    I'll see if I can make one with Bless Hex Editor in linux and make a how-to for that also :cool:
    Tyson please i need param.ifs for I8190N. I flash I8190 param.ifs and boot jpg now is I8190. Please can you givme to flash back.
    It is available here http://get.maclaw.pl/?id=51