[Q] How do I stop ATT update?

Search This thread
Dec 28, 2013
First off I apologize if this is in the wrong section or has been asked before, I couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for.

So I have my S4 (4.2.2 if it matters) rooted and TWRP recovery loaded on it. I was getting the ATT update message and I kept hitting ignore or remind me latter, however I noticed last night it starts to try to install and restart without giving me an option to cancel it. I quickly remove the battery to prevent my phone from updating.

My question is, how do I stop this update when I turn my phone back on? I don't want it to update the firmware and lock my boot loader. Or am I making a big deal over nothing?

Thanks in advance

ted77usa

Inactive RC / RT
Jan 13, 2010
Fog City
I'm assuming that u have MDB/MDL firmware. ......Take your Att sim card out. ... u need to root your phone. ... install Titanium back up and go to Att software update app ....back up first just incase u need it to return to att and then uninstall it...... that's should stop it from OTA update

SWYPED_FROM_S4_MF3_REDVENOM

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Yep, you're going to want to root and then rename or freeze those files, you found in the Google search. That will stop the update

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
Taking just the SIM out at this point won't help. Only way to completely stop it now since it was installing is to Odin back to MDL and start the root process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Hopefully it didn't already blow the qfuse.

Dec 28, 2013
I'm assuming that u have MDB/MDL firmware. ......Take your Att sim card out. ... u need to root your phone. ... install Titanium back up and go to Att software update app ....back up first just incase u need it to return to att and then uninstall it...... that's should stop it from OTA update

SWYPED_FROM_S4_MF3_REDVENOM

So not to keep asking the same question, when the sim card is out of the phone, will that prevent the update from installing?

Also to clarify, I've already rooted my phone and installed TWRP recovery. Again at this point I just want to make sure that when I turn my phone on the update isn't going to automatically finish installing before I can block the app/files

Again, thanks so much for the help, can't wait to get a rom installed and start enjoying the awesomeness

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I'd follow graydiggy suggestion. Don't turn it on except to go into download mode. Flash the mdl firmware, then root again and freeze the update apps or install a custom Rom

SouthernEvo

Aug 6, 2010
Jacksonville FL
I could be wrong but I believe the update won't apply since the stock recovery has been replaced with a custom recovery . If I am wrong Im sure somone will come in and correct this statement .

Reactions: Surge1223

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
If you have a custom recovery, the update should fail the install with an error 7. However, I would still completely start from scratch by using Odin to get a clean slate without an update. You could actually use Kies and do the emergency restore. Whatever you do, do not boot the phone into the OS until it has been completely wiped by either Odin or Kies. Only download mode.

Surge1223

Recognized Contributor
Nov 6, 2012
Florida
Google Pixel 6 Pro
boot into recovery and in twrp manually go erase the update.zip from cache/fota. Then wipe cache before rebooting. That, or flash the PIT file. I posted directions on how to extract the stock signed PIT file but you'll probably need someone to extract one for you since you dont want to boot to Android yet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: the_windrammer

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
Oh yeah. TWRP has a file manager. Delete the update and then boot the OS and use Titanium Backup to delete the OTA stuff

Dec 28, 2013
boot into recovery and in twrp manually go erase the update.zip from cache/fota. Then wipe cache before rebooting. That, or flash the PIT file. I posted directions on how to extract the stock signed PIT file but you'll probably need someone to extract one for you since you dont want to boot to Android yet.

Oh yeah. TWRP has a file manager. Delete the update and then boot the OS and use Titanium Backup to delete the OTA stuff

Sweet so by doing this I don't have to Odin back to stock?

Dec 28, 2013
Thank you everyone so much for your help. I seem to have got it all sorted out, don't see any changes to the baseband version and still have root access.

Thanks again.

tjf1

Nov 21, 2013
a different approach w/ i537 jb4.2.2

on topic but with different variables... I'm not finding a detailed post on the best way to stop ATT update immediately after rooting the i537 jb4.2.2

Can someone link me here please?

Not sure if I should just delete the app or go the root explorer route and delete the knox file (not sure if that is the only file to remove either?)

I have compiled all my notes at: freehelpinghands.wordpress DOT com/2013/12/15/best-way-to-unlock-root-a-new-phone/

and the answer to my question above will likely be answered by the time this is being read.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you everyone so much for your help. I seem to have got it all sorted out, don't see any changes to the baseband version and still have root access.

Thanks again.

Glad you got it worked out. You had the A team, surge and graydiggy
    Google how to stop ota i337 xda

You're not over reacting
    I could be wrong but I believe the update won't apply since the stock recovery has been replaced with a custom recovery . If I am wrong Im sure somone will come in and correct this statement .

Essentially.