Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

What do you think about the Fairphone?

• Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

matt.s

May 7, 2013
everyday just bad news...

i am really thinking about a refund now...

Me too, I will make my decision based on if they can give a plausible answer on how they are planning to port Ubuntu, CM, Sailfish, Firefox OS and the like to the FP. I just opened another thread in the FP forum in order to finally get them to answer this question. If anybody wants to weigh in, here it is: http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200648718-Open-source-support

Reactions: Quallenauge

MrJekyll

Jan 22, 2013
maps api broken?

Hi,

on my fairphone I can't use any apps that need the Android Maps api (e.g. DB Navigator), although the fairphonegapps are installed and the files com.google.android.maps.jar/xml are present in the right place. PlayStore states that those apps are not compatible with my device. Installing them manually as .apk-file also fails. Has anyone noticed the same problem with his/her fairphone? Or does someone have an idea how to solve this problem (someone from the developers team maybe)?

Regards

oissin

Dec 31, 2013
Hi,

on my fairphone I can't use any apps that need the Android Maps api (e.g. DB Navigator), although the fairphonegapps are installed and the files com.google.android.maps.jar/xml are present in the right place. PlayStore states that those apps are not compatible with my device. Installing them manually as .apk-file also fails. Has anyone noticed the same problem with his/her fairphone? Or does someone have an idea how to solve this problem (someone from the developers team maybe)?

Regards

I think the permissions for the jar-file and com.google.android.maps.xml are wrong. in my previous phone the permission for group and world are marked 'r'. The jar file has the same permissions. I changed this, rebooted, removed the update for the play store and now I can install the apps previously marked als not compatible. (Doing this is at own risk)

MrJekyll

Jan 22, 2013
I think the permissions for the jar-file and com.google.android.maps.xml are wrong. in my previous phone the permission for group and world are marked 'r'. The jar file has the same permissions. I changed this, rebooted, removed the update for the play store and now I can install the apps previously marked als not compatible. (Doing this is at own risk)

That was it, now it works. Thanks a lot!

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
everyday just bad news...

i am really thinking about a refund now...

Me too, I will make my decision based on if they can give a plausible answer on how they are planning to port Ubuntu, CM, Sailfish, Firefox OS and the like to the FP. I just opened another thread in the FP forum in order to finally get them to answer this question. If anybody wants to weigh in, here it is: https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200648718-Open-source-support

I made your link clickable ;). Good post over there, already two guys supporting it.
To be precisely:
Kim's last post: 11th December 2013, 05:30 PM
Joe's last post: 25th October 2013, 06:37 PM

Therefore Kim is quiet for 3 weeks, Joe is quiet for about 9,5 weeks. I wouldn't call this support for a developing community.

Hi,

Regards

That was it, now it works. Thanks a lot!

Thanks, good information, you two. I will try DB Navigator tonight on the Fairphone. I will also try to check the available sd card memory and run benchmarks and I hope I can make some screenshots.

markiter

Feb 14, 2011

Thanks, great that you have solved this issue. Could you provide a step-by-step instruction? What did you change and how?

MrJekyll

Jan 22, 2013
Thanks, great that you have solved this issue. Could you provide a step-by-step instruction? What did you change and how?

0. (install terminal emulator)
EDIT: as imparted by Nicholas Evans in the Fairphone support forum, BusyBox is not necessary for this as the used programs are provided by Android itself.
1. get superuser rights (Start terminal emulator, type "su" and press enter, grant root priveledges if asked for)
2. remount your system-partition with write access (type "mount -o rw,remount /system" and enter)
3. change the permissions for the following files to rw-r-r:
/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar
(to do so, type "chmod 644 $file" and enter, replace $file with the filename and path as written above, do this for all three files)
4. remount system-partition read only (type "mount -o ro,remount /system" and enter)
5. close terminalemulator, delete appdata and updates for Google playstore and reboot. For me that was all.

Please have these instructions rewied by an experienced user/developer before using them, I will/can not guarantee for anything

Sent from my FairPhone using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

asmaron

Oct 10, 2013
Shame on your policy of silence!!!

Hey guys!
You're doing a really great work (and I'm talking about the community in this case... the FP-Team doesn't want to be part of this community as it seems)! And you do so, either if we get bad news almost every day. :mad:

It's really a shame, how an self-proclaimed project "that puts social values first" can be so ignorant and unsocial to it's new-born community!

HEY FAIRPHONE?!? JOE... KIM... BAS... AND ALL THE OHTERS!?! DO YOU THINK, YOU CAN TREAT US LIKE THIS? DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DESTROYING HERE??? YOU ARE ON THE ABSOLUTE RIGHT WAY TO KICK YOURE WHOLE PROJECT IN THE CURB!!! DO YOU THINK WITH YOUR CURRENT POLICY OF SCILENCE YOU SOLVE THE MISTAKES YOU HAVE MADE? NO!! THIS WILL MADE IT EVEN WORSE, 'CAUSE NOT EVEN THE PATIENTEST DEVELOPER WILL SUPPORT YOUR PROJECT, IF YOURE DOING SO!!! :mad::mad::mad:

They are not depending on you - but you will be depending on their free and open work, if you want to make your promise true, to built an fair AND OPEN device!

Shame on you for treating an new-born community like this! Is there no one in your team, who thinks a little over the edge of his plate? Do you think about the consequences you are working on to become true?

Sorry for this harsh words, but you have to think about it! Many people here are thinking about an refund! Is that your goal that you want to reach, after the whole hard work you have pushed into this project? I can't believe it!!!
What I can believe is, that this whole project is really hard work for you, and the last weeks weren't easy. What i currently think about you and your team is, that you are quite overstrained... You haven't ever managed and to cope with such a work-intensive project. You hadn't know a lot of things in the beginning - you didn't exactly know what you really got engaged with! There are existent supply-chains you didn't overlook - and there happens things like building another Chipset into your device - contrarian to the one that was promised to you. Suddenly there are Copy-Rights of a company on a code for the bootloader - contrarian to that you have thought about first. To put it in a nutshell and in the words of Laurel and Hardy "That's another fine mess you've gotten us into!"
But in all of this points there is absolutely NO legitimation for your "Policy of Scilence" and as it has been mentioned above for your tactic of passing the buck to your customers that have trusted in you, saying "Sorry... but its your fault, cause you trusted us!". I think it's really your turn to bring a cool mood to your customers. I've always thought that the "Waag Society" and Fairphone is a creative think tank: So be creative in doing an apologize to your supporters!

Stay to your project - defend it! You have to be clear in this point! You have to stay for the values of the project - the SOCIAL values!

So be social and TALK to us!!!

An angry and disappointed supporter (still!) of your project...
Asmaron

EDIT: As I am not expecting an answer on my post from an official part (Fairphone) 'cause I see that Fairphone seems to set on it's policy of scilence (even in their own "official" forums), is there anyone in the community who is from netherland and who is able to make some pressure and getting some more information in calling the guys?
This are the Phone-Numbers that are from the FP-Page: +31 (0)20 557 98 54 ; +31 (0)20 557 98 55
Maybe there is sb who can do that? I can't speak netherlends and my spoken english is not the best, for express a case like this...

Last edited:
Reactions: benkxda

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
0. (install busybox and terminal emulator)
1. get superuser rights (Start terminal emulator, type "su" and press enter, grant root priveledges if asked for)
2. remount your system-partition with write access (type "mount -o rw,remount /system" and enter)
(to do so, type "chmod 644 $file" and enter, replace $file with the filename and path as written above, do this for all three files)
4. remount system-partition read only (type "mount -o ro,remount /system" and enter)
5. close terminalemulator, delete appdata and updates for Google playstore and reboot. For me that was all.

Please have these instructions rewied by an experienced user/developer before using them, I will/can not guarantee for anything

Thank you very much. I will try this when I got my hands on this device next time.

Yesterday and today I was able to play with the Fairphone a bit. First impression was, that it is heavy. In my case I usually have a bigger screened phone with 130 g. I was able to feel the 40 g difference. But it's not a big thing.
What I really disliked, is the issue, that the camera and the speaker grill at the back are kind of popped out. On the backside you have the speaker on the bottom right and the camera on top left. If you want to lay the phone down on a plane surface like a table, it wiggles all the time when you are touching the screen. This is a no go. Looks like no one ever has tested it on a flat surface.

The device feels worthy, not cheap anywhere. Everything was solid, stable... just like I wanted to have it. Everything worked fine, fast, without stutters. Android looks very close to Stock/AOSP, only a few things where change. IMO this is positive. The owner wasn't happy about one thing, he wanted to change the standard home screen. For him screen #2 would be fine, but obviously this is not possible with this launcher or I did not find the right settings for it.

Below a few screenshots, like I promised. This was a German device, so everything is in German. If you cannot translate everything with Google Translate (or others), I can help you, just ask.

Screenshots!!! :)

Beginning with a journey through some system setting screens. Is this a serial number ("Seriennummer") or is it a bug?
shot_2013-12-31_21-12npsbp.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-12ctsjt.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-13adsve.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-13duspc.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-135db8v.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-16x1s9i.png

Next up some memory screenshots an a switch on/off timer, I think for the automatic on/off scheduler.
shot_2013-12-31_21-18m4szr.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-185blxk.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-19oasak.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-223ts5h.png

Benchmarks

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4, result: 13179
shot_2013-12-31_21-314mz73.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-31cmsj7.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-316jxzu.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-3131sid.png

CF-Bench 1.3, result: 12960 (sorry for the volume slider)
shot_2013-12-31_21-3656sud.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-37g7suu.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-37umx5a.png

Quadrant Standard Edition 2.1.1, result: 4824
shot_2013-12-31_21-391jx2i.png

System tool and Google Maps API

CPU-Z and an app for public transportation like DB Navigator. I did not find DB Navigator in the Store, but Öffi - Fahrplanauskunft was found on the Fairphone. As this app is similar to DB Navigator, it's not compatible due to recent mentioned problems with the Google Maps API. There is already a detailed solution for the Google Maps API issues by @MrJekyll.
shot_2013-12-31_21-408mlyv.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-4050s8z.png
shot_2013-12-31_21-50k2ssb.png

asmaron

Oct 10, 2013
Danke für die Infos Benkxda! :) Du hängst dich echt rein in das Projekt! Vielen, vielen Dank dafür! Ich bewundere dein Engagement. Ich hoffe die Fairphoneleute kriegen die Kurve!

Thanks a lot for this post benkxda! And thanks for your work to the whole community! :)

Regards,
Asmaron

EDIT: @ Benkxda: Can you tell us sth. about the battery drain (maybe one more screenshot? ;)) and the storage issue? Is it true that just 1 GB is reserved for apps or can you simply switch the storage through system settings?

Last edited:

markiter

Feb 14, 2011
0. (install busybox and terminal emulator)

Thanks, this worked like a charm, I followed these steps exactly, no problems.
The community is helping FP users. Hopefully FP will help the community in its turn, as promised.

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
Danke für die Infos Benkxda! :) Du hängst dich echt rein in das Projekt! Vielen, vielen Dank dafür! Ich bewundere dein Engagement. Ich hoffe die Fairphoneleute kriegen die Kurve!

Thanks a lot for this post benkxda! And thanks for your work to the whole community! :)

Regards,
Asmaron

EDIT: @ Benkxda: Can you tell us sth. about the battery drain (maybe one more screenshot? ;)) and the storage issue? Is it true that just 1 GB is reserved for apps or can you simply switch the storage through system settings?

Danke, ich hoffe auch, dass Fairphone schnell aufwacht.
Thanks, I also hope that Fairphone is waking up quickly.

I like the idea about a fair product, fair treatment of the mine workers, no child workers, health protection and not to forget the companies who assemble the devices. I don't care which company can create fair products, so if there is another company in 2014 who is more open, more honest, more communicative, working together with the community, doing a good community job, I am on their side. If Fairphone apologizes and promises to make a better job from now on, I am still on their side. Again, it's the idea, which counts for me.

Battery usage screenshots are requested, must wait until I get them from the owner. It seems to be true, you get 1 GB for your apps and the other free storage is for music, videos, pictures, documents or other files. Don't ask me why, this should be answered by Fairphone. Nonsense for me. But I am still not 100% sure, maybe a owner can confirm.

Assuming that my phone does not have the same serial nuber as yours, it is a bug since mine shows the same.

Haha, great one. A pre-easter-egg? Well, Maybe they repair it with the next version, which should be Android 4.4.2.

EDIT: Just added "Known Issues" and "Screenshots" to the OP. If anybody finds other issues, let's discuss and maybe find a solution :)

EDIT: I compared the benchmark results to my business device and my old Nexus. An overclocked Galaxy Nexus might be able to compete with the Fairphone for a short time, then comes the temperature throttling. Keep in mind, the S3 LTE and the Galaxy Nexus have Cortex A9 cores, the Fairphone has energy efficient Cortex A7 cores. Also, take a look on the GPU power, it's not that bad. It is good enough for most games.

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4 with Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (GT-I9305), CM 10.2 (Android 4.3) 4x 1,4 GHz
screenshot_2014-01-02hvxs2.png
screenshot_2014-01-029jl17.png
screenshot_2014-01-02npxlc.png

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4 with Google Galaxy Nexus (GT-I9250), CM 11 (Android 4.4) 2x 1,2 GHz
screenshot_2014-01-02pxpql.png
screenshot_2014-01-02cvsaf.png
screenshot_2014-01-02vascp.png
screenshot_2014-01-02nwpp8.png

Last edited:

smartn

Jan 2, 2014
EDIT: as imparted by Nicholas Evans in the Fairphone support forum, BusyBox is not necessary for this as the used programs are provided by Android itself.

Hi there,
sorry, I'm not very deep into these things below the OS-surface.
I didn't get step 3 correctly, could you please break it down into the 4 different steps it contains?...
If I get it right, I should do as follows:

type "chmod 644 $file" and enter

type "chmod 644 /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar" and enter

But... where in that process do I change the rights to rw-r-r for these files?
...sorry, I'm really not the smartest in these matters.

Thanks a lot for helping me getting my FP going!
smartn

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
Hi there,
sorry, I'm not very deep into these things below the OS-surface.
I didn't get step 3 correctly, could you please break it down into the 4 different steps it contains?...
If I get it right, I should do as follows:

type "chmod 644 $file" and enter

type "chmod 644 /etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml" and enter

type "chmod 644 /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar" and enter

But... where in that process do I change the rights to rw-r-r for these files?
...sorry, I'm really not the smartest in these matters.

Thanks a lot for helping me getting my FP going!
smartn

Hi smartn.

With chmod you change the rights and the rights are 644. So this number is the important thing. Try it, will work.

EDIT: @asmaron Screenshots about battery consumption arrived...

screenshot_2014-01-02r2sjc.png
screenshot_2014-01-029luj7.png

Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
About the internal storage, there is an "official" statement here:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154666-How-can-I-see-all-the-different-places-where-information-is-stored-on-my-phone-SD-Card-Internal-Storage-and-Phone-Storage-

and here is the community questioning about this:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200667593-Internal-Storage-?locale=en-us
@benkxda thx for the sharing, so the chipset is rootable, but the bootloader is not reachable?
(Damit meine ich, kann man in den Bootloader starten?)

benkxda

Jan 28, 2012
About the internal storage, there is an "official" statement here:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154666-How-can-I-see-all-the-different-places-where-information-is-stored-on-my-phone-SD-Card-Internal-Storage-and-Phone-Storage-

and here is the community questioning about this:

http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200667593-Internal-Storage-?locale=en-us

@benkxda thx for the sharing, so the chipset is rootable, but the bootloader is not reachable?
(Damit meine ich, kann man in den Bootloader starten?)

Oh, thanks for the links. I will add this clarification to the OP. Poor, shame... but why 1 GB? Since Android 4.0 I didn't have any any problems with app installation partitions.
I don't own a Fairphone, so I am not sure. I read something about pressing power and volume down rocker for two seconds to enter recovery/bootloader... anyone can confirm this?

Hi benkxda,

in deed, it's fixed. Thanks a lot!

smartn

That's good news. Thanks for confirming.

Developers and other members of XDA, I want also mention this support page: Why don’t you use other open source or free software instead of Android?
After reading this, I now have more questions unsolved than just the one in the topic. In fact, the answer confuses me :confused: Make your own thoughts.

BTW: Stefan Kraft, I read your note of thanks in your post at the Fairphone forum. Thank you too for your work over there, I read quite many posts from you. I hope you read it or someone tells you about my response :)

Last edited:

haiag

Sep 23, 2013
After reading this, I now have more questions unsolved than just the one in the topic. In fact, the answer confuses me :confused: Make your own thoughts.

What especially do confuse you?

For the Update Cycles, there was an blogpost here:
http ://ww w.fairphone.com/2013/09/20/fairphone-operating-system/#more-3448

The Fairphone OS will run on Android 4.2, but I get asked a lot by our community how many years of support we will give, and how soon after Android updates will we get Fairphone OS updates. Well, realistically at the moment we can’t give firm dates but it’s a good estimate that Kwame hopes to get an Android release something like a month after Android’s own update.

matt.s

May 7, 2013
Me too, I will make my decision based on if they can give a plausible answer on how they are planning to port Ubuntu, CM, Sailfish, Firefox OS and the like to the FP. I just opened another thread in the FP forum in order to finally get them to answer this question. If anybody wants to weigh in, here it is: http s://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/200648718-Open-source-support

FP answered the question, just follow the quoted link above. Unfortunately, my understanding of the technical details isn't deep enough to understand the consequences of this:

We are currently having our ODM, Changhong, prepare the kernel sources for release. This should take a few days and then made available quickly, and should include all the open source code.

Will the kernel sources be sufficient to port CM, Replicant and the like to the Fairphone or is Mediatek's support definitely needed if we want a costum ROM (or even a non-android-based OS)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

Thread link
    Announcement
    21 Jun 2014: Added a 60 days poll. Just for your information, your vote and choice is public.
    03 Apr 2014: iFixit released one of their famous teardowns for the Fairphone and Fairphone sells spare parts. BAM!!! Greets and thanks to Miro from iFixit.
    23 Mar 2014: Added pictures from opening the device to clean the dusty back side of the photo camera lens.

31 Jan 2014: We have our own Fairphone Forum. That's really grand.
    25 Jan 2013: Added two links. First, the unoffical FairPhone Users Forum and Fairphone at XDA Developers Wiki.
    19 Jan 2014: Added a lot of links recently. Today I want to point you to a petition to get AOSP Support for MediaTek Devices (thanks to @Donat.Callens)
    09 Jan 2014: Hid some larger content to get a better structure in the OP. By clicking the buttons you can recover the content. Added a link to the download section on the official Fairphone website for the "FP1" (indicates that there will be a FP2?).
    05 Jan 2014: Added a new section "Apps" due to a new app coming up, Fairphone Launcher by LuLeBe
    Older announcements

Fairphone - The Technical Details And Links
    The Fairphone - technical details, weblinks and other stuff
    fairphonepics9oedz.png

First of all - read the story behind the Fairphone to know, why it's fair and what it is all about.

Official Fairphone website
    Fairphone Spare Parts
    Fairphone accessories - Case (black)
    Fairphone Tutorial - Getting you started with your Fairphone (video tutorials)
    Downloads for the FP1: Repair form, Fariphone OS, Stock Android, source code packages, 3D files (CAD), Graphic Design and user guide
    The story behind the Fairphone
    Technical specifications
    The FAQs
    Download the Fairphone Press Kit (30-10)
    The Fairphone shop

More weblinks
    iFixit: Fairphone
    Requests to Fairphone
    Fairphone at XDA Developers Wiki
    unoffical FairPhone Users Forum (English forum)
    Fairphone Freunde (German forum)
    Petition: AOSP Support for MediaTek Devices[/B]
    Loco Toys Blog
    Fairphone OS on GitHub (incl. FairPhoneHome and FairPhonePeaceOfMind)
    Kwamecorp, the company who creates the Fairphone OS
    AOSP Support for MediaTek Devices (Petition)
    Fairphone on Google+
    WeAreFairphone FairPhone Fans Users & Enthusiasts (G+ community)
    Fairphone on Vimeo
    Fairphone on Twitter
    Fairphone on Facebook
    Fairphone on Flickr

Articles, reviews, videos, images...
    [08 Jan 2014] Glückliches Smartphone aus fairem Anbau (golem.de, German)
    [03 Jan 2014] Fairphone im Praxis-Test: Smartphone fürs gute Gewissen (Computer Bild, German)
    [03 Jan 2014] Kommentar: Das Fairphone ist gut genug (heise online, German)
    [Update 3.1.2014; 02 Jan 2014] Fairphone im Kurztest (c't, German)
    [03 Jan 2014] Fairphone: Öko-Handy im ersten Eindruck (Computer Bild, German)

Apps, widgets, themes, software
    Fairphone Launcher on Google Play by LuLeBe
    Peace of Mind+, A fork of Fairphone's app by mudar1488. Find out more on Google Play, GitHub, development website, XDA portal

Known issues
    1. Serial number: It seems that the serial number is not a valid serial number, but the standard number 0123456789ABCDEF (solution below)

2. Google Maps API: Apps which take advantage of the Google Maps API are currently incompatible with the Fairphone (e.g. DB Navigator, Öffi - Fahrplanauskunft) (solution below)

3. Device wiggles: If you touch the device if its laying on a flat surface, it wiggles unacceptably. The reason is the popping out speaker grill on the bottom right and the camera and LED module at the top left, both on the backside.

4. 1 GB limit for apps: There is a limit of 1 GB for app installation. Of course, you can move installations to the SD card or use managing apps like Link2SD[/URL. Learn more on the [URL="https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201154666-How-can-I-see-all-the-different-places-where-information-is-stored-on-my-phone-SD-Card-Internal-Storage-and-Phone-Storage-"]official support page (thanks to haiag)

Mods, hacks, solutions
    Please keep in mind, that you are using this at your own risk and may void your warranty.

Power measurements by globuli (original post)
    I finally got around to do more extensive power measurements (video with more detailed info to follow).

Everything is done with the display (when on) on lowest brightness, I have not looked into the effect of brightness on the consumption, hopefully next week. Also: the measuring equipment is self-built, so don't bet your money on my findings. The current was measured in 10 ms steps, then send through a rolling average. In theory anything could happen in between the 10 ms, and the consumption pattern suggests very short bursts of current. In brackets the time to live, if the battery delivers exactly 2000mAh

Display off, nothing to do in the background: basically below our precision, somewhere at 2mA (1000h), but I mean nothing to do
    Display on, nothing to do: 85 mA (23.5h)
    Video playback: ~160mA (12.5h)
    Incoming call 3G (with MP3 ringtone, vibrator, the works): > 410 mA (<4.8h), sorry, the measurement equipment clipped at 430mA
    Talking on 3G: 230 mA (8.7h)
    Incoming call 2G: (MP3, vibrator): >370 mA (5.4h), again, clipping involved, but clearly less than 3G
    Talking on 2G: 140 mA (14.3h)

With Z-Device-Test I tried other components as well, one interesting thing was that the flashlight apparently can only be switched on when the main camera module is active as well. BTW: the changing of the advertisement on the bottom of Z-Device Test costs ~30mA.

Main camera on (with picture in the display): 235mA (8.5h)
    Front camera on (with picture in the display): 195mA (10.2h)
    Vibrator: ~60 mA
    Flashlight: ~50 mA

GPS costs next to nothing, when trying different applications, GPS on or off seemingly made a difference of ~10mA, all power measurements here mainly showed costs for drawing pictures. Bluetooth similar, as long as the component is only on, but no pairing or other activity happens, next to nothing.

Heise wrote in their short test that in their measurements they assumed 7.1 hours of video playback, which would result to 281 mA. But at least with XVID and MP4 I could not make the Fairphone take more then 180 mA peak. No idea what the reason for that is, but as they explained, they emptied the battery to half it's capacity, but who knows how they deemed this "half". And our equipment surely is not off by 100 mA.

Lowering the volume by MoreThanADev (original post)
    I agree with you the speaker is too loud by default.

Here is the way to configure it without installing apps.

1) Enter Mediateck EngineerMode by calling *#*#3646633#*#* /!\ you can mess up your conf, be carefull not to randomly click on every button :)
    2) Swipe to the right to Hardware Testing
    3) Enter submenu Audio
    4) Select LoudSpeaker Mode
    5) in Type list, change Ring with Media

*Here i try to explain (with my poor english, and my poor explaining skills) how to adjust the sounds setting that best fits you, skip to 6) for a no brain guide*

This is the place of the sound settings for musics, movies and apps.

On the page you have a field Level which enables you to pick levels from 0 to 6
    and a field Value where you can put a number.

Levels corresponds to a fillness of the sound bar, so with default configuration, almost empty sound barre correspond to the level 0 and to the lowest sound of your phone.

If you want to change the sound volume for the almost empty sound bar, select Level 0 and change number in the field value (lower number => lower sound)

If you want to change the sound volume for bar filled at 1/6th change the value for Level 1 etc

The value I putted there were:

6)
    a)Select Level 0 and put 80 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    b)Select Level 1 and put 110 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    c)Select Level 2 and put 130 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    d)Select Level 3 and put 150 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    e)Select Level 4 and put 170 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    f)Select Level 5 and put 200 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.
    g)Select Level 6 and put 240 in Value field then press the Set button on the Value field line.

7) Test your sound
    , if it fits you, go to 8, else read the text you skipped after 5 :p
    8) Restart (might not be necessary but, who knows :)), or if you don't restart makes sur to close the EngineerMode so you won't mess up with your conf by accident.

That seemed to work whithout breaking anythings with my phone, and hopefully it will with yours ;)

Gesture typing - Official Google Keyboard for the Fairphone
    Gesture typing aka swipe is not available on your Fairphone keyboard? No problem!
    As we figured out, the Google Keyboard from Google Play is not compatible with the Fairphone. But you can install the apk directly from the thread [APK] Official Google Keyboard.

After the download, follow following instruction:
    1. Go to Settings -> Security -> activate Unknown sources
    2. Scroll down the notification drawer and tap on the icon of the downloaded Google Keyboard apk
    3. Go to Settings -> Language & input -> activate the Google Keyboard.
    Done :)

Xposed solutions
    The Xposed framework is known for its very good customization abilities.
    One of the famous modules is GravityBox. With it we were able to solve some issues.

Volume slider interrupts system
    Sometimes changing the volume interrupts the system, because the volume slider won't disappear. The system is inoperable. Switching display on/off can help as well as a system reboot. Use the extended volume sliders from GravityBox.

Unused SIM slot notification
    If you have only inserted one SIM, you get an icon in the status bar. You can hide this notification with GravityBox.

How to install GravityBox
    First you have to download and install Xposed. In this app you can download GravityBox.

First: Download the Xposed Installer APK and install it
    Launch the Xposed Installer, go to the "Framework" section and click on "Install/Update"
    Reboot
    Done!

Second: Download and install GravityBox, therefore open Xposed, go to download section and select GravityBox.
    After that, enable the module by checking the checkbox in the modules section
    Reboot
    Done!

Serial number by fjxda (original post)
    I saw that XPrivacy can fake the serial number for the apps you select (and you can even select that ONLY the serial is faked by Xprivacy, and ONLY for one app, so it has no side effects. And you can input your real serial number into XPrivacy if you want!).

With the correct serial number faked by Xprivacy, my favourite navigation app does now work fine.
    [EDIT: You first need the XPosed framework to install XPrivacy afterwards.]

The open(ed) bootloader by fjxda (original post)
    The bootloader is open.
    I downloaded, modified an uploaded the boot.img and the phone did still boot, so it doesn't verify any signature of the boot image.

Hint: boot-image starts at /dev/bootimg
    /dev/bootimg seems to point to a start address of internal memory but you can access the whole memory through it. So if you write something into, you can brick your whole phone and delete everything - probably.
    The boot image is probably at most 0x600000 bytes large, afterwards recovery partition starts.

Command to retrieve the boot img:

dd if=/dev/boot of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=6291456 count=1

Tools to modifiy:

https://github.com/bgcngm/mtk-tools

After repacking, the boot.img will be smaller (verify!).
    Then you can copy with dd if=/sdcard/boot1.img of=/dev/boot.img - on your own risk, better wait till official firmware image becomes available.

DON'T use cat on /dev/bootimg! Use dd.
    Don't write more than 6291456 bytes or your recovery will be lost.
    May be good Idea to backup recovery with
    dd if=/dev/recovery of=/sdcard/recovery.img bs=6291456 count=1
    If using mtk-tools - use a unix filesystem to extract into so that executed-rights within the initramfs of the boot-img don't get lost.
    [EDIT: Made link clickable]

Google Maps API issues by MrJekyll (original post, this solution was verified as working by several XDA members)

Q&A discussion - You ask, Kwamecorp replies
    First Fairphone OS version is based on Android 4.2.2
    The widgets of Fairphone OS will be released as open source, they will be uninstallable and the system comes without bloatware. (I am really impressed!)

Q&A discussion - You ask, Fairphone replies
    OSB-OTG is working with the Fairphone
    Fairphone firmware updates possibly available OTA, updates will be available as long as possible, also stock Android available on launch. No tablet planned right now, currently focusing on the smartphone only. First prototypes not to be expected before October.
    Front side Dragontrail Glass, backside cover to reveal the battery/SIM cards is silver steel, the rest made of plastic.
    The navigation bar ("navbar") has capacitive buttons.

Technical specifications
    SoC: MediaTek MT6589 MT6589m
    CPU: Cortex A7 (ARMv7) 1.2 GHz quad-core
    GPU PowerVR SGX544 @ 286 MHz PowerVR SGX544 @ 156 MHz
    Radios: 3G, HSPA+, TD-SCDMA, GSM850/900/1800/1900MHZ, WCDMA 900/2100MHz, no CDMA
    WLAN: WIFI 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth: v2.1 + EDR / v3.0 + HS (802.11 AMP) / v4.0 LE
    GPRS Class GPRS Class 12
    EDGE Class Multi-Slot Class 12

Display: 960 × 540 pixel, 4,3" (qHD) LCD, 24 bit 16 Mio. colors, 256 ppi, capacitive protected by Dragontrail Glass
    Camera: 8 megapixels, AF (stabilization + image sensor) 3264 × 2448 pixel, photo LED, multishot
    Front facing camera: 1,3 megapixels
    Video: 1280 x 720 pixel
    Video Decode Format: MPEG4/H.264:1080p@30fps MPEG4/H.264:720p@30fps
    Video Encode Format: MPEG4/H.263:1080P@30fps MPEG4/H.263:720P@30fps H.264:720P@30fps
    Audio Decode Format: WAV,MP3,MP2,AAC,AMR-NB,AMR-WB,MIDI,Vorbis,APE,AAC-plus v1,Aac-plus v2,FLAC,WMA
    Audio Encode Format: AMR-NB,AMR-WB,AAC,OGG

Dual-SIM: yes, (Mini-SIM) Dual Stand-by SIM1: 2G SIM2: 3G, Standard format SIM (ID-000 format)
    Internal memory 16 GByte
    External memory: microSDHC up to 32 microSD (compatible SD, SDHC and SDXC types) (up to 64Gb)
    RAM: 1 GByte

Battery: Li-Ion 2000 mAh, replaceable
    HSDPA: 7,2 MBit/s
    HSUPA: 5,7 MBit/s
    UMTS: HSPA uplink cat 7 up to 11.5Mbps, downlink cat24 up to 42.2Mbps HSPA downlink cat 14 up to 21.1 Mbps
    LTE -
    NFC -

FM radio: yes
    Light sensor: yes
    G sensor: yes
    E compass: yes
    Proximity sensor: yes
    GPS: yes
    Glonass -
    Gyroscope: yes

SAR rating (indication): 0.318 W/Kg 0.329 W/Kg (CE)
    Dimensions & Weight: 123 x 64.5 x 10 mm 126 x 63.5 x 10 mm, 170 g
    Android version: 4.2
    Connector: Micro-USB
    Earphone Jack ¢3.5

Release date: expected in 3th quarter 2013 December 2013 December 2013 / January 2014

Screenshots

Teardown - Cleaning the backside of the camera lens cover

Opening metal backsided lid.
    img_0318e0skbt.jpg

Removed battery, SIM card and micro SD card.
    img_0320ek8y47.jpg

Close-up of the dusty camera lens cover.
    img_0323eefyb2.jpg

After removing five screws, you can remove the frame which covers the circuit boards.
    Removing the frame was a difficult and hard work, as it is clipped very tough and tight. If you have the right tools, don't be afraid, but still be careful.

img_0329eofby6.jpg

Picture from inside after cleaning. The square black rubber around the lens cover does not protect well. It probably is just too thin.
    Other than that, the whole circuit boards and all electronic components where dusty on the top of the device. Possible reasons: USB port, earphone jack, power button

img_0335eiujes.jpg

Benchmarks

AnTuTu Benchmark 4.1.4, result: 13179
    shot_2013-12-31_21-314mz73.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-31cmsj7.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-316jxzu.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-3131sid.png

CF-Bench 1.3, result: 12960 (sorry for the volume slider)
    shot_2013-12-31_21-3656sud.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-37g7suu.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-37umx5a.png

Quadrant Standard Edition 2.1.1, result: 4824
    shot_2013-12-31_21-391jx2i.png

Fairphone OS Screenshots

Beginning with a journey through some system setting screens.
    shot_2013-12-31_21-12npsbp.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-12ctsjt.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-13adsve.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-13duspc.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-135db8v.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-16x1s9i.png

Next up some memory screenshots an a switch on/off timer, I think for the automatic on/off scheduler.
    shot_2013-12-31_21-18m4szr.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-185blxk.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-19oasak.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-223ts5h.png

System tool and Google Maps API

CPU-Z and an app for public transportation like DB Navigator. I did not find DB Navigator in the Store, but Öffi - Fahrplanauskunft was found on the Fairphone. As this app is similar to DB Navigator, it's not compatible due to recent mentioned problems with the Google Maps API. There is already a detailed solution for the Google Maps API issues by @MrJekyll.
    shot_2013-12-31_21-408mlyv.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-4050s8z.png
    shot_2013-12-31_21-50k2ssb.png

Battery consumption

screenshot_2014-01-02r2sjc.png
    screenshot_2014-01-029luj7.png

Videos

FAIRPHONE UNBOXING HD

Alternative OS on Fairphone

Fair Lifestyle - Technology | Euromaxx

Dragontrail glass

Manufacturer: Asahi Glass Co.
    Dragontrail details (PDF)
    Information on Wikipedia

Incredible aMazing Dragontrail glass screen test for xiaomi m2 smartphone from ibuygou

Dragontrail VS the All-Stars
    Hi,

I am Kees and I have started working for Fairphone at the first of June. As
    Embedded software developer and Open Source addict I spent most of my career
    doing what I like most: writing software and playing with hardware.

I joined the Fairphone team because I believe that a Fairphone phone deserves
    to be running Open Source software. I will do what I can, certainly in the
    future, to make this happen.

Currently? Currently I am working on getting the software for the second batch
    ready for production. The new phones are to come with an slightly updated
    software stack and will be using the new unified partition scheme (Using fuse
    to emulate external storage)

At the same time I am looking at the technical possibilities of upgrading the
    current phones to the new partition scheme (this is where I hope to get some
    technical input form XDA members).

the xrteamer forum has a nice write-up on the layout changes (I might post the
    link once I have permission to post links on the forum). and their current solution
    (that involves wiping the data). I am currently basing my work on theirs.

One of the biggest (annoying) changes to user is that the phone will no longer
    provide mass storage functionality unless an external SD-card is inserted. This
    has impact on how a proper backup and recovery can be done (backup using mass
    storage and recovery using MTP?). For the typical Fairphone user I estimate
    that this will be to much hassle and we need to find an alternative solution.

I was thinking of perhaps requesting the user to temporarily insert an SD-card
    for the update. But for now I am still simply looking at the upgrade (not the
    backup/restore yet) and this involves changing the partition layout while
    upgrading.

I am not used to using forum's much as I tend to prefer using irc and mailing
    list but I will try to keep you posted and use your minds as much a possible.
    Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package

Here's our next step in providing developer resources. Happy to present to XDA: Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package. Please let us know issues, problems, questions!

We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!
    Hi all,

There are a lot of different questions and issues building up here on XDA for the Fairphone team. Thanks for bearing with us. I've talked with @benkxda so that he can help me collect all relevant issues for the Fairphone tech team and Kwame software developers. Soon, it seems XDA will have Fairphone sub-forums to make this easier for all of us, too.

Also, news for you all: We're still planning the software release of Fairphone OS 1.1 over the air very soon. It was expected around today/tomorrow, but still needs some time.

Best,
    Joe
    FP Community Manager