[ROOT]Lenovo Vibe Z (K910)

Search This thread

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
This is a build at a really early stage so take care !

Ok, so the method I propose is absolutely non intrusive. You might want to flash the recovery you'll find here-under but I personally haven't done it so feel free to go first ;) Flashing back the original recovery shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Prerequisite
You should have installed:
  • K910 ADB Driver (available on the CD that appear when you connect the device)
  • ADB
  • Fastboot

Rooting
So the method is pretty easy:
  1. Download the latest SuperSU update.zip and put it at the root of your Internal SD Card
  2. (Optional) Download Google Apps for Android 4.2.2 (thanks to TeamAndroid) and put it at the root of your Internal SD Card
  3. Download the recovery.img (build 140205)
  4. un-7zip it
  5. Restart your device in the bootloader:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
  6. Boot your phone into the ClockworkMod recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot cwm_recovery_custom.img
  7. Install zip, wipe partition, backup/restore, adb sideload, ...
  8. Reboot

The phone is left untouched except for the zip you flashed.

Update on the 6th of February (Build 140205):
  • Bigger font
  • /sdcard mounted on the first user's internal storage (= symlink /sdcard /data/media/0)
  • Makes use of the latest kernel

The old recovery.img stays available.

For those who would be stuck on K910_SS_S_2_040_0039_131101, I posted the official update.zip here

How to build my own recovery
If you are curious about building the recovery, I'll post here a few tips.

First of all, you'll need a good tutorial like the one on XDA University. The steps are the following:
  • Prepare your OS to receive a cyanogenmod repository. I would advice an Ubuntu so you can following this guide. Note that this is for a plain Android so you need to stop following it when they issue the first repo command
  • Then you need to carefully read this guide on porting CyanogenMod ROM. You don't need to build the full system (which is a completely other story) but only the recovery. I prepared the vendor directory for you (base on LG Optimus and a lot of research).
  • The building happens according to this guide.

You could be done by now if it wasn't for the dtb. If you try to boot your recovery as is, fastboot will complain about it. You'll find other people having the same issue, just follow their solution.

Last edited:

sakilxda

Dec 20, 2010
Badajoz (Extremadura)

Ok, so the method I propose is absolutely non intrusive. You might want to flash the recovery you'll find here-under but I personally haven't done it so feel free to go first ;) Flashing back the original recovery shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

1. Download the recovery.img
  2. un-7zip it
  3. Restart your device in the bootloader:
    Code:
    adb reboot-bootloader
  4. Boot your phone into the ClockworkMod recovery:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-kiton.img
  5. Install zip, wipe partition, backup/restore, adb sideload, ...
  6. Reboot

More precisions to come in a next edit.

Yess!!! Thanks!!!

katalinscrob

Nov 7, 2006
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 4493312 bytes
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [ 0.142s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: dtb not found)
finished. total time: 0.155s
:eek:

What rom version did you have when boot .img?
cwm (loki) .img from lg g2 says ok afterall, but phone restarts after showing me a nice blue line .:cool:
take a look https://gitlab.com/itsmikeramsay/mkbootimg/tree/master and this http://looollll.doorblog.jp/archives/29337755.html and this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2469510
I believe this really may be helpful to you http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2073775

Attachments

• cwmlgg2.img.zip
    9.9 MB · Views: 1,367
Last edited:

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
creating boot image...
creating boot image - 4493312 bytes
OKAY [ 0.142s]
booting...
FAILED (remote: dtb not found)
finished. total time: 0.155s
:eek:

What rom version did you have when boot .img?
cwm (loki) .img from lg g2 says ok afterall, but phone restarts after showing me a nice blue line .:cool:
take a look https://gitlab.com/itsmikeramsay/mkbootimg/tree/master and this http://looollll.doorblog.jp/archives/29337755.html and this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2469510
I believe this really may be helpful to you http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2073775
I have K910_SS_S_2_040_0109_131226 but it shouldn't be an issue anyway. This sounds like I uploaded the wrong recovery (I have so many) because "dtb not found" is the message you receive when, well, the DTB doesn't appear in the recovery. Adding the DTB is the very last step to build the recovery.

Try this one instead.

Just for your information, note that following the guide I mentioned earlier did work but I have to add a custom init.rc because there was no backlight on the screen.

sakilxda

Dec 20, 2010
Badajoz (Extremadura)
I have K910_SS_S_2_040_0109_131226 but it shouldn't be an issue anyway. This sounds like I uploaded the wrong recovery (I have so many) because "dtb not found" is the message you receive when, well, the DTB doesn't appear in the recovery. Adding the DTB is the very last step to build the recovery.

Try this one instead.

Just for your information, note that following the guide I mentioned earlier did work but I have to add a custom init.rc because there was no backlight on the screen.

Other possible root???

http://lenovobbs.cnmo.com/thread-14620407-1-1.html

sakilxda

Dec 20, 2010
Badajoz (Extremadura)
Right now with this method, and when I get my Lenovo steps that I can do?

Update first and then use this method to root?

I do not understand English, use google translate, and as I see there seems to be no problems?
Still it take at least 2 weeks to receive it and I'm sure there will be changes and improvements ...
Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

katalinscrob

Nov 7, 2006
Big thanks button should be available too...
Managed to boot in cwm, root from cwm (btw very nice option ), Gapps full reinstall and finally a backup. EVRIKA! YOU DID IT ! Respect man ! permanent img flash would be next step I assume...

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
Right now with this method, and when I get my Lenovo steps that I can do?

Update first and then use this method to root?

I do not understand English, use google translate, and as I see there seems to be no problems?
Still it take at least 2 weeks to receive it and I'm sure there will be changes and improvements ...
Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
You're right: best method is to upgrade then root with this method. If it seems difficult to get the upgrades, I can post the zip files (it took me more than a week to get the first one).

Reactions: LinhPhi9x94

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
Big thanks button should be available too...
Managed to boot in cwm, root from cwm (btw very nice option ), Gapps full reinstall and finally a backup. EVRIKA! YOU DID IT ! Respect man ! permanent img flash would be next step I assume...

You're very welcome ;)

Well, actually, there should be no problem flashing this recovery, it's just that it could break the OTA process (and that I haven't tested it myself yet)

So next step after testing is to find a way to make this menu readable. I mean, I almost need a magnifying glass to read it :laugh:

katalinscrob

Nov 7, 2006
It isn't really an issue, maybe to correct the dafult push backup folder to internal sdcard clockworkmod instead of root folder (mnt...). I suppose that until seriously modded ROM's will appear it's best to mantain non flashed anyway for the OTA capability IMHO. Anyway, very nice job, put a paypal to receive some beers from us.:cowboy:

nlohani

Jul 17, 2008
I still cannot install zips (SuperSU / gapps) from recovery, though recovery.img was flashed without any error. Am I missing anything? :confused:

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
I still cannot install zips (SuperSU / gapps) from recovery, though recovery.img was flashed without any error. Am I missing anything? :confused:
Are you sure you are in the custom recovery? The Lenovo one look similar but doesn't have the clockwork mod logo in the background. It lets you install zip...as long as they are signed by Lenovo.

nlohani

Jul 17, 2008
Are you sure you are in the custom recovery? The Lenovo one look similar but doesn't have the clockwork mod logo in the background. It lets you install zip...as long as they are signed by Lenovo.

You are right, after re-flashing your recovery I was able to install SuperSU.zip, but still couldn't find it in the device.
Just to share further-
1. Titanium backup still fails to get root access
2. One root checker application says my device is rooted, but 'rescue root checker' says it is not :(

Reactions: sakilxda

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
It isn't really an issue, maybe to correct the dafult push backup folder to internal sdcard clockworkmod instead of root folder (mnt...). I suppose that until seriously modded ROM's will appear it's best to mantain non flashed anyway for the OTA capability IMHO. Anyway, very nice job, put a paypal to receive some beers from us.:cowboy:

Good suggestions. I'll take a look.

Now that I know what it takes to build a recovery, I'll think twice before starting a project of a really modded ROM

Reactions: sakilxda

csu333

Feb 26, 2009
You are right, after re-flashing your recovery I was able to install SuperSU.zip, but still couldn't find it in the device.
Just to share further-
1. Titanium backup still fails to get root access
2. One root checker application says my device is rooted, but 'rescue root checker' says it is not :(

I 've had the same behavior with the oldest ROM. This is why I provided a custom ROM with busybox installed even if I knew most people wouldn't need it. It was just impossible to install it afterwards. It might then be version related. Which version are you running?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Prerequisite
    You should have installed:
    • K910 ADB Driver (available on the CD that appear when you connect the device)
    • ADB
    • Fastboot

Rooting
    1. Download the latest SuperSU update.zip and put it at the root of your Internal SD Card
    2. (Optional) Download Google Apps for Android 4.2.2 (thanks to TeamAndroid) and put it at the root of your Internal SD Card
    3. Download the recovery.img (build 140205)
    4. un-7zip it
    5. Restart your device in the bootloader:
      Code:
      adb reboot-bootloader
    6. Boot your phone into the ClockworkMod recovery:
      Code:
      fastboot boot cwm_recovery_custom.img
    7. Install zip, wipe partition, backup/restore, adb sideload, ...
    8. Reboot

Update on the 6th of February (Build 140205):
    • Bigger font
    • /sdcard mounted on the first user's internal storage (= symlink /sdcard /data/media/0)
    • Makes use of the latest kernel

The old recovery.img stays available.

For those who would be stuck on K910_SS_S_2_040_0039_131101, I posted the official update.zip here

How to build my own recovery
    If you are curious about building the recovery, I'll post here a few tips.

First of all, you'll need a good tutorial like the one on XDA University. The steps are the following:
    • Prepare your OS to receive a cyanogenmod repository. I would advice an Ubuntu so you can following this guide. Note that this is for a plain Android so you need to stop following it when they issue the first repo command
    • Then you need to carefully read this guide on porting CyanogenMod ROM. You don't need to build the full system (which is a completely other story) but only the recovery. I prepared the vendor directory for you (base on LG Optimus and a lot of research).
    • The building happens according to this guide.

You could be done by now if it wasn't for the dtb. If you try to boot your recovery as is, fastboot will complain about it. You'll find other people having the same issue, just follow their solution.
    SOLVED

Hello. I tried to install the latest 4.4.2 ROM via CWM and now i'm stuck in Lenovo logo. I cant do anything. Shut down and press the volume down (or up) button while connecting usb cable doen't work.
    What can i do???

SOLVED

Turn off the phone --> Run minimal ABD and fastboot as admin--> just write the command for recovery install (don't hit enter yet)--> press volume + and volume - button and connect the phone to pc via usb--> now hit enter and voila. Your phone will boot in recovery. All other is simple and you can find how to install the stock firmware. Any problem just pm.
    Thank you all
    MY BRICK SOLVED!

In case you can get with Vol- the original Lenovo menu:

- buy a OTG cable
    - Buy a USB stick 2-4GB
    - Format USB stick with FAT (!)
    - Put sdfuse directory on it and a K910 .qsb image inside the directory
    - Plug stick via OTG in the phone
    - start phone with Vol- & Power
    - Choose point 4 - SD Update from the Lenovo recovery Menu

Phone will show this picture then:

IMG_1556.jpg

- Hit "start"
    - Wait
    - Be Happy :laugh:
    - Buy me a cigar (Partagas Series D No.4 preferred) ;)

That's it! :D
    Hi there,

Show as the pictures! It DOES NOT work like in 1416 or 1419. You should have read Russian Forum more accurate. Personally I did it a few times and without success. I never ever leave information before has been checked.

Regards

Surprisingly, it does work perfectly for me:

Exact commands used:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>fastboot boot recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-b140205-kiton.img
    OKAY [ 0.370s]
    booting...
    OKAY [ 0.012s]
    finished. total time: 0.386s

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb sideload VIBEUI_V1.5_1420_4_ST_K910_NK_W_E2D0.zip
    sending: 'sideload' 100%

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb sideload 4-16_GApps_Minimal_4.4.2_signed.zip

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb sideload UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
    Greetings from TEAM SUPERLUMINAL!!

Keep your Lenovo K910 ready for the future. Allow us introduce CM12 Lollipop 5.02 for K910. It's still really early stage.
    So, we release the build within a few weeks in Needrom. Until then, stay tuned.
    Here is few preview shot´s.

Thanks, and don´t forget to donate! :good:

-ekkilm, morphic