"Core.xxx" files in /data/btips

Search This thread

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I understand this directory has something to do with Bluetooth.

There are ten ~6.7 MB files in that directory with names like core.872 and core.19735.

I did a nandroid backup and then removed them. Everything seems to be OK, but I don't use BT for anything.

Any idea what these are? Could this be related to the BT ROM leak?

posguy99

Nov 8, 2009
I understand this directory has something to do with Bluetooth.

There are ten ~6.7 MB files in that directory with names like core.872 and core.19735.

I did a nandroid backup and then removed them. Everything seems to be OK, but I don't use BT for anything.

Any idea what these are? Could this be related to the BT ROM leak?

I wish people wouldn't call it a "ROM leak"... it just sounds so silly. ROMs don't leak and the ROM in the Hero isn't leaking. *SOMETHING* is just occupying data space.

Having said that... those are core dumps. Weird, I'd have expected Android to disable core dumps. The phone doesn't have file(1), so it's a little difficult to tell what dumped, but the number in the extension is the PID of the faulting process.

Mine doesn't have any, or I'd yank one over to my desktop and investigate it.

They *are* taking up space in /data, which is going to make the phone look like it has less storage space available (the number in the Settings app will go down). Erase them, they're useless to you.

It might be interesting to search the whole phone with find(1)... that at least is there (or maybe it's in the busybox MoDaCo installs ^_^) and see if there are any other dump files hanging around.

jonnythan

Oct 27, 2008
I wish people wouldn't call it a "ROM leak"... it just sounds so silly. ROMs don't leak and the ROM in the Hero isn't leaking. *SOMETHING* is just occupying data space.

Having said that... those are core dumps. Weird, I'd have expected Android to disable core dumps. The phone doesn't have file(1), so it's a little difficult to tell what dumped, but the number in the extension is the PID of the faulting process.

Mine doesn't have any, or I'd yank one over to my desktop and investigate it.

They *are* taking up space in /data, which is going to make the phone look like it has less storage space available (the number in the Settings app will go down). Erase them, they're useless to you.

It might be interesting to search the whole phone with find(1)... that at least is there (or maybe it's in the busybox MoDaCo installs ^_^) and see if there are any other dump files hanging around.

Great info, thanks. I wonder if they're related to bluetooth crashes since they're in the btips directory?

I searched for other files named core* but nothing looks like a core dump. There's a core.xml and a bunch of "coredump_filter" in proc directories and that's about it.

I think leak is an appropriate term though. Applications that have memory leaks consume memory that they can't release. This is similar, just with the onboard flash.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
I probably know the answer already but hoping...is there anyway to delete these core dump files in the btips folder without having to root the phone? Could an app or script on non-rooted device be able to just delete those files? I'm surprised there's no way through the phone to clear system dumps/cache, etc.

Looking for a way since a lot of people have this problem but not many will be comfortable rooting.