By t-bon3, Senior Member on 25th November 2013, 10:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th January 2014, 12:35 AM |#121  
Flag The Land of the Blue busses.
Thanks Meter: 24

More
error
hi,
so Minimal ADB and Fastboot tells me error: device not found. im kinda annoyed. I got the motorola device manager installed and the phone is visible as "android device --> motorola adb interface"

perhaps im doind something wrong. do i run the "adb reboot-bootloader" command while IN fastboot menu? or do i run it while phone is booted up to system?
Ok nvm, i think i got to do the same thing twice...

Edit:
I have successfully reverted to retail en.GB 4.3 from a tesco branded 4.3. Thank you.

6th January 2014, 08:56 PM |#122  
Flag Near Prague
Thanks Meter: 87

More
Id just found out that I had not Stock but Tesco version - and now Ive successfully unlocked my MotoG and flashed UK retail. Thanks a lot!

PS: I wasnt able to use the command "adb reboot-bootloader" - it said "error: device not found" ... but fastboot was ok and the flashall batch went fine ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bon3

Pre-requisites:

a) Download and install Motorola Drivers:
http://www.mymotocast.com/download/MDM?platform=windows

b) Download and extract the stock firmware of your choosing (Warning: downgrading is untested!) from:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

Edit:
The firmware files have been updated most of the firmware archives are now in .tar.gz archives which include Motorola fastboot and flashing scripts for OSX, Linux and Windows.

The firmwares with '_umtsds' in the file name are for the 'dual-sim' versions of the Moto G, it's probably not a good idea to flash these onto single sim phones, or vice-versa.

On windows the .tar.gz archives need to be opened and extracted using a 3rd party archive manager. e.g. 7-zip, or PeaZip, Windows cannot extract these files natively, Linux and OSX can.

I used the retail British firmware (fastboot_falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB.tar.gz), extracted to c:\

c) If the firmware file you downloaded is a .xml.zip file then download Motorola Fastboot Attachment 2427667 (attached to this post) and extract the .exe into the same folder as the stock firmware files (the same folder as the .bin and .img files). If your firmware is a .tar.gz file then skip this step.

d) Get ADB (if you don't already have this, I suggest downloading and installing Minimal ADB and Fastboot by shimp208:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1S0...Wh6NGJmSE1BUWc

Disclaimer:

Follow these instructions at your own risk. If something goes wrong don't blame me!

I have only tested this on a Retail Moto G with an unlocked bootloader, however as these are the stock signed image files from Motorola it 'should' work on any device.

Edit: tkm89 reports that he was able to use this guide to restore to Stock Retail British firmware from a bootloader locked Tesco mobile Moto G

Steps to restore stock firmware:

1) Enable developer mode on the Moto G (Settings-> 'About Phone'. Tap 7 times on 'Build Number')
2) Enable USB debugging. (Settings -> 'Developer options' -> 'USB Debugging' -> check)
3) Connect phone to computer via USB, you should see a new ADB device detected and drivers installed.
4) Reboot to bootloader. Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
You should see the Moto G bootloader screen with the following options:
Code:
Normal Powerup
Recovery
Factory
Switch Console [NULL: null]
Barcodes
BP Tools
5) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:
Code:
cd C:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB
6a) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .tar.gz format
Run the 'flashall.bat' script in windows or './flashall.sh' in Linux/OSX
6b) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .xml.zip format.
Flash each of the partitions in sequence using mfastboot, you need to enter the following commands one-by-one checking that each one returns an [OKAY]
Code:
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2
mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1 
mfastboot erase modemst2 
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache 
mfastboot erase userdata 
mfastboot reboot
7) You should now be rebooted into a fully stock Moto G firmware.

7th January 2014, 03:52 PM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Hi there. Thank you very much for your instructions. I would like to suggest some improvements in the instructions for people that will come here and use them though. I hope you do not find this rude and I only aim to make this easier for others to understand.

Quote:

4) Reboot to bootloader. Open "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". Type:

Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
You should see the Moto G bootloader screen with the following options:
Code:
Normal Powerup
Recovery
Factory
Switch Console [NULL: null]
Barcodes
BP Tools

The way the above step is written, it read to me like you do this:
a) Reboot to bootloader
b) Look for an option named "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" which you then click and type..... etc

I would write it like this:

4: Reboot the phone into bootloader mode by doing the following: (assuming it has to be done this way and users cannot use the more known VOLUME down button during power on)

On your windows computer, open the program you downloaded earlier named "Minimal ADB and Fastboot". This program will open a command prompt with a working directory pointing to the main program root folder. You can then type into the command prompt the following command:

adb reboot-bootloader

So it should look like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb reboot-bootloader

Quote:

5) Open a command prompt / terminal (Start -> cmd.exe in Win7) and browse to the folder with the extracted firmware.

In my case:

Code:
cd C:\falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB
6a) If you downloaded and extracted a firmware in .tar.gz format
Run the 'flashall.bat' script in windows or './flashall.sh' in Linux/OSX

It is all well and good stating to "run the flashall.bat file" but to make this completely literate to all potential people that may attempt this, I would state exactly and explicitly what to do such as:

type flashall.bat at the command line so it looks like the below, and then click return OR enter.

c:\fastboot_falcon_retgb_user_4.3_14.10.0Q3.X-76-LGG-8_54_release-keys-cid7-Retail_GB>flashall.bat

Also screenshots would help and be even better. I do not have time to add this at the moment. I know most people are very computer literate on here, but on step 4 above, this did actually confuse me for a minute. Ok...maybe 30 seconds. I am a sucker for very mickey mouse instructions which I think is important when playing with expensive electronics and flashing.

But...thanks so much and all worked great for me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coursemyhorse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coursemyhorse Ad-Free
7th January 2014, 07:35 PM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
does it work with kitkat update?
7th January 2014, 09:20 PM |#125  
Flag Near Prague

More
Preflash validation failed
Im on US 4.4.2 ROM @ UK XT1032. I tried to downgrade to Retail UK 4.3 ROM and Im using motorola fastboot. Im getting error "Preflash validation failed" when I enter the command "fastboot flash partition gpt.bin" inside of the UK 4.3 ROM folder.
7th January 2014, 10:51 PM |#126  
Flag Natal RN
Thanks Meter: 90

More
I can confim that this method works for locked bootloader phones. Thanks for the OP :]

BUT: Vpn function stopped working after flashing retail GB. Moving back to Tesco's.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrkblo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mrkblo Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 03:47 AM |#127  
Flag Nottingham
Thanks Meter: 200

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalurban

Im on US 4.4.2 ROM @ UK XT1032. I tried to downgrade to Retail UK 4.3 ROM and Im using motorola fastboot. Im getting error "Preflash validation failed" when I enter the command "fastboot flash partition gpt.bin" inside of the UK 4.3 ROM folder.

Open the flashall.bat in Notepad and remove the following two lines:

Code:
CALL :fastboot_flash partition gpt.bin
IF %errorlevel% NEQ 0 EXIT /b 1
The gpt.bin cannot be downgraded so the flashing fails and stops the rest of the script from running. Removing those lines will allow the script to flash everything else and you'll have a working phone. This also works for other 4.3 roms in tar.gz format like the German and French ROMs.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flibblesan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flibblesan Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 04:12 AM |#128  
Flag Montreal QC
Thanks Meter: 355

More
I have finaly tried to flash the us version .... and my phone wont boot up ... it dosnt even go in revovery ... only boot loader ? ill try to reflash my factory rom

edit after flash the stock one i have acess to recovery but i wont do a normal boot ... it directly go to recovery
8th January 2014, 09:53 AM |#129  
Flag Near Prague

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLiXs

I have finaly tried to flash the us version .... and my phone wont boot up ... it dosnt even go in revovery ... only boot loader ? ill try to reflash my factory rom

edit after flash the stock one i have acess to recovery but i wont do a normal boot ... it directly go to recovery

What version did you flash? And did you use the flashall script or did you enter the commands manually? I, for example, am unable to use the script after flashing US 4.4.2 (preflash validation failed) ... to return back to 4.3 I have to enter the commands manually - there are two errors (one "preflash validation failed" and second about signature) but my original 4.3 ROM works fine despite that ...
8th January 2014, 10:34 AM |#130  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkblo

I can confim that this method works for locked bootloader phones. Thanks for the OP :]

BUT: Vpn function stopped working after flashing retail GB. Moving back to Tesco's.

Can you explain what you think has stopped working? "VPN" does not give much info. The ROMs are identical apart from the name I heard? They are exactly the same in size.
8th January 2014, 10:57 AM |#131  
Flag Natal RN
Thanks Meter: 90

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coursemyhorse

Can you explain what you think has stopped working? "VPN" does not give much info. The ROMs are identical apart from the name I heard? They are exactly the same in size.

I'm sorry sir, after moving to retail GB my VPN wouldn't connect, and at the sime time I had a tablet, a laptop and another mobile connected to it. After a few reboots, of both my router and the phone everything is working fine.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)