FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,680

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 03:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th January 2014, 12:33 PM |#201  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Source code
Hi,

after sending another mail to Fairphone I received the following mail today:

Dear Benedikt,

i got the confirmation we will be publishing the Linux Kernel sources under GPL today, the latest tomorrow. You will be
able to find it in our Support centre under the category downloads.

Regards,

Miquel Ballester
Product Strategy

Finally, they seem to follow the Linux Kernel's licence

Regards,
Benedikt
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bwildenhain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bwildenhain Ad-Free
7th January 2014, 10:35 PM |#202  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
After having the Fairphone a short day, some impressions.

I did not have some installing problems with gapps (or maps api, DB navigator works fine)

My front facing camera shows 5 Megapixel, my rear camera has 6 Megapixel.
Can anybody else confirm this? @joemier?

Changing from CM I miss some features, so I hope CM will come to Fairphone soon.

My first impression is really positive. I like the quick launcher!

Where can I upload pictures here?
8th January 2014, 06:05 AM |#203  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,680

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzriaz

Hi all, been looking around on xda for my Sensation and have been following this thread the last weeks for info about the Fairphone. Yesterday it arrived and have been playing around with it.

* First I had the problem with installing the play store (language set to English) but the second try it worked.
* Swiping pulled out the Fairphone menu all the time so changed the launcher very quickly to Nova Launcher.
* Got an AnTuTu score of 13546.
* Can notice it is faster then the Sensation in browsing and apps installing. Haven't played any games.
* You can turn in off but your alarm clock still works.

I am not a developer but if there are any questions or things you would like to know I am willing to check them and post the results (as long as there is no real danger to the phone, so no drop tests )

Kind regards

I also use a third party launcher. Usually they're more powerful and customizable.
Very close to my AnTuTu result. Important thing is to provide also the version of the app. The HTC Sensation is an oldie, definitely cannot compete with the Fairphone
The alarm functionality is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildenhain

Hi,

after sending another mail to Fairphone I received the following mail today:

Dear Benedikt,

i got the confirmation we will be publishing the Linux Kernel sources under GPL today, the latest tomorrow. You will be
able to find it in our Support centre under the category downloads.

Regards,

Miquel Ballester
Product Strategy

Finally, they seem to follow the Linux Kernel's licence

Regards,
Benedikt

Cannot find it now, but will be available hopefully very soon. Thank you for this good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

After having the Fairphone a short day, some impressions.

I did not have some installing problems with gapps (or maps api, DB navigator works fine)

My front facing camera shows 5 Megapixel, my rear camera has 6 Megapixel.
Can anybody else confirm this? @joemier?

Changing from CM I miss some features, so I hope CM will come to Fairphone soon.

My first impression is really positive. I like the quick launcher!

Where can I upload pictures here?

Strange behaviour, maybe Fairphone changed something in their installation procedure, probably not the Gapps file packages. Can you provide these gapps files by uploading to a public available storage?
I don't upload images directly to XDA, because they have a maximum in size (kB) and dimensions (pixels). I use abload.de and include the URLs to the uploaded files.
The Following User Says Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 09:22 AM |#204  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Strange behaviour, maybe Fairphone changed something in their installation procedure, probably not the Gapps file packages. Can you provide these gapps files by uploading to a public available storage?
I don't upload images directly to XDA, because they have a maximum in size (kB) and dimensions (pixels). I use abload.de and include the URLs to the uploaded files.

Here is the screenshot to show the 6 MP. Does anyobne else has only 6 MP instead of 8?

I startet in English, logged into WiFi and downloaded and installed the gapps (No SIM, No MicroSD).
Afterwards I changed the Language to German.
I did not find the gapps files on my phone.
8th January 2014, 09:38 AM |#205  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
The Sensation is old but the GPU score is higher then of the FP. Also the memory for apps is a bit higher. But the cpu of the FP is a lot better.

@haiag

On my FP I have the following options:
Front camera: 1.3M - 2M - 3M - 5M
Back: above + 8 M

Strange yours misses the options. When I change the language to Deutchs I still have all the options.
What is the resolution of the pictures? (yuo can find it by opening the picture and press settings -> details)
8th January 2014, 09:47 AM |#206  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzriaz

The Sensation is old but the GPU score is higher then of the FP. Also the memory for apps is a bit higher. But the cpu of the FP is a lot better.

@haiag

On my FP I have the following options:
Front camera: 1.3M - 2M - 3M - 5M
Back: above + 8 M

Strange yours misses the options. When I change the language to Deutchs I still have all the options.
What is the resolution of the pictures? (yuo can find it by opening the picture and press settings -> details)

I found the answer.
When I use the fullscreen mode, then the maximum MP-option is 6. Back to 4:3 mode it is 8.
8th January 2014, 10:48 AM |#207  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 214

More
Linux kernel source
The Linux kernel source is on its way.

We're just finding the right place to store them online. We still expect to have them up today - hopefully by afternoon CET.

Best,
Joe
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 11:08 AM |#208  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemier

The Linux kernel source is on its way.

We're just finding the right place to store them online. We still expect to have them up today - hopefully by afternoon CET.

Best,
Joe

Nice. I just wanted to say, I am glad to see that communication did improve drastically. In several posts (Fairphone forum and here) you guys were admitting that you messed up with communication. I think people accept your apologies and appreciate your honesty. The daily delivery updates in the blog is the right step.

I hope you don't feel like coming into enemy territory anymore. And I hope that when everyone got the Fairphone, the custom rom development will go through the roof. I think one good thing to push that would be an own Fairphone subforum here on xda. Does anyone know how and where we can ask for one?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hyst For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hyst Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 11:24 AM |#209  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyst

Nice. I just wanted to say, I am glad to see that communication did improve drastically. In several posts (Fairphone forum and here) you guys were admitting that you messed up with communication. I think people accept your apologies and appreciate your honesty. The daily delivery updates in the blog is the right step. I hope you don't feel like coming into enemy territory anymore.

Absolutely agree with that! FP is back on the right way now. Thanks for preparing to share the source code with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyst

And I hope that when everyone got the Fairphone, the custom rom development will go through the roof. I think one good thing to push that would be an own Fairphone subforum here on xda. Does anyone know how and where we can ask for one?

Thats a good question! I think @benkxda knows more about that. He seems to be very active on XDA. So maybe he can tell us or bring this questions to the right moderators.

@joemier: I've some questions about the workers welfare found. I wrote some post on the FP-Forums over there. Maybe you can have a look at! Thanks indeed!

Regards,
Asmaron
8th January 2014, 11:29 AM |#210  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Swedish language needed
So, again, I have seven Fairphones on their way here for my staff. It's very important to have a swedish translation of the operating system in the phone. Can you @joemier inform me on how this issue is taken care of? I would be glad to have the answer for my staff that the translation is coming up.
8th January 2014, 01:16 PM |#211  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Thumbs up Got my Fairphone
I received my fairphone yesterday and i am quite impressed. Performance is solid for me, Screen looks great!
I did not install Gapps, trying to live without them for a while. Synced my Contacts and Calendar with Davdroid (from the f-droid.org repository). Firefox runs fast, but crashed once for me and did not play youtube videos (internal browser did). Alarm features are very welcome and liked automatic shutdown and turn on. Both features worked fine.
The phone feels really good (i like that it is heavy). I uploaded some unboxing pics to flickr: flickr.com/photos/benimnetz/sets/72157639528081595/.

PS: Golem.de has review online as well.

Thanks to fairphone for the fast progress with kernel sources!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)