FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,680

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 03:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
8th January 2014, 01:16 PM |#211  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Thumbs up Got my Fairphone
I received my fairphone yesterday and i am quite impressed. Performance is solid for me, Screen looks great!
I did not install Gapps, trying to live without them for a while. Synced my Contacts and Calendar with Davdroid (from the f-droid.org repository). Firefox runs fast, but crashed once for me and did not play youtube videos (internal browser did). Alarm features are very welcome and liked automatic shutdown and turn on. Both features worked fine.
The phone feels really good (i like that it is heavy). I uploaded some unboxing pics to flickr: flickr.com/photos/benimnetz/sets/72157639528081595/.

PS: Golem.de has review online as well.

Thanks to fairphone for the fast progress with kernel sources!
8th January 2014, 01:35 PM |#212  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I'm experiencing strange glitches with the touchscreen when putting the Fairphone on my bed with the USB charger attached.

youtube.com/watch?v=2yCBnQU02Co

(Unfortunately I can't post/embed the link directly because I have less than 10 posts here. Can maybe some mod edit the post and enable the video embedding?)

- When holding it in my hand with the USB charger connected or when laying on the bed without the charger connected, everything works fine.
- If I put it on my bed with the charger connected, the touchscreen goes crazy when touching it.

I'm not sure what the problem is, possibly it's because my mattress contains silver for anti-bacterial reasons. Or maybe it's differences in electric potential when touching the back side (= holding it in my hand) while being connected to the charger. Does someone else experience these issues?
8th January 2014, 01:42 PM |#213  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Question
Because I was reading that there are many software glitches, I thought about one thing:
why did they not just use Cyanogenmod or something similar? That would save development costs and CM is right stable
(ok I have to say that 10.2.0 stable is the worst und most buggy thing I have ever seen BUT updates are hopefully coming soon => and here again: there would be no dev costs for fairphone)
8th January 2014, 02:34 PM |#214  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrtheyrn

I'm not sure what the problem is, possibly it's because my mattress contains silver for anti-bacterial reasons. Or maybe it's differences in electric potential when touching the back side (= holding it in my hand) while being connected to the charger. Does someone else experience these issues?

I dont have my Fairphone yet, but i had such Problems with my Xperia-Arc, in this case it had something to do with the GND of the Charger. With some it was not useable , other Chargers worked better. Did you try another Charger ?
8th January 2014, 02:39 PM |#215  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcyber

I dont have my Fairphone yet, but i had such Problems with my Xperia-Arc, in this case it had something to do with the GND of the Charger. With some it was not useable , other Chargers worked better. Did you try another Charger ?

Right now I'm using the original HTC Desire charger. I'll test another one tonight

It's not really a problem for me, I was just wondering why it happens.
8th January 2014, 03:05 PM |#216  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,680

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

Here is the screenshot to show the 6 MP. Does anyobne else has only 6 MP instead of 8?

I startet in English, logged into WiFi and downloaded and installed the gapps (No SIM, No MicroSD).
Afterwards I changed the Language to German.
I did not find the gapps files on my phone.

Ok. Did it preselect German or English as the system language?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzriaz

The Sensation is old but the GPU score is higher then of the FP. Also the memory for apps is a bit higher. But the cpu of the FP is a lot better.

@haiag

On my FP I have the following options:
Front camera: 1.3M - 2M - 3M - 5M
Back: above + 8 M

Strange yours misses the options. When I change the language to Deutchs I still have all the options.
What is the resolution of the pictures? (yuo can find it by opening the picture and press settings -> details)

Can you provide an up to date AnTuTu benchmark with the Sensation? What I found on the internet were "old" benchmarks, but all far below the Fairphone's GPU power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiag

I found the answer.
When I use the fullscreen mode, then the maximum MP-option is 6. Back to 4:3 mode it is 8.

Thanks for sharing another solution. I cannot see, why there should be a limit to 6 MP because of the fullscreen mode, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemier

The Linux kernel source is on its way.

We're just finding the right place to store them online. We still expect to have them up today - hopefully by afternoon CET.

Best,
Joe

Sweet. It's getting closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyst

Nice. I just wanted to say, I am glad to see that communication did improve drastically. In several posts (Fairphone forum and here) you guys were admitting that you messed up with communication. I think people accept your apologies and appreciate your honesty. The daily delivery updates in the blog is the right step.

I hope you don't feel like coming into enemy territory anymore. And I hope that when everyone got the Fairphone, the custom rom development will go through the roof. I think one good thing to push that would be an own Fairphone subforum here on xda. Does anyone know how and where we can ask for one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmaron

Absolutely agree with that! FP is back on the right way now. Thanks for preparing to share the source code with us!

Thats a good question! I think @benkxda knows more about that. He seems to be very active on XDA. So maybe he can tell us or bring this questions to the right moderators.

@joemier: I've some questions about the workers welfare found. I wrote some post on the FP-Forums over there. Maybe you can have a look at! Thanks indeed!

Regards,
Asmaron

Yes, communication has a good flow. I like that.
About the subforum: A few days ago I asked a Moderator about the Fairphone, if it is possible to get a own forum for it. He will check that. Meanwhile you can suggest a new forum for our device in the thread *** New Device Forum Requests ***. I already did as well as two others.
This thread has currently 29,102 views (at least tomorrow we reach 30,000) and 214 replies to the OP. And the device is not delivered to all customers now. Also, the sources for the kernel are coming soon. So for me it's the beginning and we already have enough attention, also in the press. And don't forget, we have Joe Mier from Fairphone in here, also @KimHansenDenmark from Kwamecorp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuswallgren

So, again, I have seven Fairphones on their way here for my staff. It's very important to have a swedish translation of the operating system in the phone. Can you @joemier inform me on how this issue is taken care of? I would be glad to have the answer for my staff that the translation is coming up.

@joemier, if there is no chance to get it done by Fairphone, can we get this done as a community driven translation? We can ask the guys in the translation thread. I guess, this is quite a lot to translate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benkxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift benkxda Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 03:26 PM |#217  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
AnTuTu on Sensation
@benkxda

Just updated AnTuTu to 4.1.6 on the Sensation.
Screenshots are attached.
Sensation still seems to have better GPU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-08_15-19-47.png
Views:	94
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2502269   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-08_15-19-40.png
Views:	87
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2502270  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahzriaz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ahzriaz Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 05:19 PM |#218  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Source has been published
Quote:

The Linux kernel source is on its way.

We're just finding the right place to store them online. We still expect to have them up today - hopefully by afternoon CET.

Best,
Joe

@benxda

It has just been published at http://www.fairphone.com//downloads/...l_GPL_L.tar.gz
(Or www.fairphone.com -> Support -> Downloads).

@joemier
However, the Kernel is still incomplete, the included build (alps/kernel/build.sh) script complains about the file ./mediatek/build/shell.sh missing, but there is no folder alps/mediatek I hope this can be fixed soon.

Regards,
Benedikt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bwildenhain For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bwildenhain Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 05:50 PM |#219  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 214

More
Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package
Here's our next step in providing developer resources. Happy to present to XDA: Fairphone OS Linux kernel source code package. Please let us know issues, problems, questions!

We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 09:26 PM |#220  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:

We've put together this package with all our downloads of Fairphone OS and stock Android 4.2.2.

We're eager to see what you all can do with it. Thanks for your patience as we got it up. Enjoy!

Thank you JOE! Thats really cool. I think it went quick (even if I was told the roms would be available this week, I didn't believe it - yeah - I need to appologize that I didn't trust you). Most vendors don't provide images at all, so I am really happy that you do. Thanks!

For the others: Maybe you ask whats difference between AOSP and Fairphone OS. At least I did. Ok, so I checked which files exist in one package and not in the other:

$ diff -rq FP_AOSP FP_OS | grep -v "sind verschieden."
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhoneHome.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhoneHome.odex.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhoneIFixIt.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhonePeaceOfMindApp.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairPhonePeaceOfMindApp.odex.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairphoneUpdater.apk.
Nur in FP_OS/system/app: FairphoneUpdater.odex.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: Launcher2.apk.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: Launcher2.odex.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: QuickSearchBox.apk.
Nur in FP_AOSP/system/app: QuickSearchBox.odex.

Mainly, AOSP contains the stock android home app (launcher), FP OS contains the fairphone home app (launcher).
So FP OS, is what was installed on the phone on delivery.

If you flash one of these images, the google apps will be removed from the phone. Probably, there is NO factory reset (=deleting user data) necessary, to remove the google apps. Flashing the image is enough.

Hope that helps.

Another tipp: If you have already bricked your phone, you will not be able to copy the files to the internal SD-card and the recovery application is not able to read from the external SD-card.

But in this case, you can still install the firmware with adb sideload
www.google.de/search?q=adb+sideload

(You will need to install adb, either by installing the http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html#download or by installing adb from your linux package manager (ubuntu). A recent version of adb is needed, as adb sideload is a newer feature).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fjxda For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fjxda Ad-Free
8th January 2014, 10:29 PM |#221  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkxda

Thanks for sharing another solution. I cannot see, why there should be a limit to 6 MP because of the fullscreen mode, though.

That's simple to explain, the "fullscreen" is just the original 4:3 with top & bottom chopped off. So from the 8 MP the camera delivers, only 6MP make it into the picture.

Cheers!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)