Continual Boot to TWRP [T-Mo]

Search This thread

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI
So for the first time in my history of Android's since the G1 I've finally bricked a phone. Apparently there was an OTA for the T-Mo devices and I managed to hamfist my notification and accept it.

Needless to say I'm now stuck permanently booting into TWRP. I've tried some various troubleshooting methods including doing what I thought was a successful sideload of the TMo-Stock-Rooted Rom. It showed a successful push and ran through the install but I got a message kicked back saying "No OS installed". Now I've seen other users receive this same message and after rebooting anyway they got their ROM to boot.

No such luck for me, after it reboots (post sideload install) it shows system as unmounted and then just boots back into recovery ad nauseum...I'm really at a loss here folks.

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI

Hadn't tried it previously but I just attempted to run the ADB command and it still boots into TWRP. I'm not sure if those commands worked or not however. I got a big wall of text in terminal after the second command.

FWIW, on every reboot System is unmounted (Data & Cache remain mounted) but I can check it. Seems that it's irrelevant whether its checked or not.

Tried a sideload using the Stock Rooted 110G image and still nothing. Sideload appears to go, and install goes through without error but reboots only into TWRP with System unmounted.

Last edited:

joewaz

Dec 27, 2013
Hadn't tried it previously but I just attempted to run the ADB command and it still boots into TWRP. I'm not sure if those commands worked or not however. I got a big wall of text in terminal after the second command.

FWIW, on every reboot System is unmounted (Data & Cache remain mounted) but I can check it. Seems that it's irrelevant whether its checked or not.

can you get the phone to shut off and stay off. If you can then simply put it in download mode and use LG flash tool to flash stock rom back on. Please let me know if this is an option if not I will try and figure out something else

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI
can you get the phone to shut off and stay off. If you can then simply put it in download mode and use LG flash tool to flash stock rom back on. Please let me know if this is an option if not I will try and figure out something else

I can get it to shut off and stay off no problem. I'm on OSX at the moment and likely won't be able to get to a PC until the 9th. I'll definitely give the LG Flash tool method a try when I can.

joewaz

Dec 27, 2013
I can get it to shut off and stay off no problem. I'm on OSX at the moment and likely won't be able to get to a PC until the 9th. I'll definitely give the LG Flash tool method a try when I can.

yes I am afraid you are stuck in till you can get to a real man's computer lol. I'm just kidding though my girlfriend has a stupid Apple and I was stuck with the same problem I had to drive 50 miles to where I used to live to pick up my laptop to fix this. But the LG flash tool works like a charm and you will not have any problems. Just make sure that you read the procedure for the Verizon phone. If you are not surelookup the forum wink Link

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI
yes I am afraid you are stuck in till you can get to a real man's computer lol. I'm just kidding though my girlfriend has a stupid Apple and I was stuck with the same problem I had to drive 50 miles to where I used to live to pick up my laptop to fix this. But the LG flash tool works like a charm and you will not have any problems. Just make sure that you read the procedure for the Verizon phone. If you are not surelookup the forum wink Link

Haha I hear you. I moved recently and the apt I'm in doesn't have ethernet drops so I had to order up a PCI wireless nic card =\ I'll dig around for the LG flash tool guides and see what I can learn.

I was hesitant to even flash a recovery because of how ass backwards LG made it for us in the first place =\

joewaz

Dec 27, 2013
Haha I hear you. I moved recently and the apt I'm in doesn't have ethernet drops so I had to order up a PCI wireless nic card =\ I'll dig around for the LG flash tool guides and see what I can learn.

I was hesitant to even flash a recovery because of how ass backwards LG made it for us in the first place =\

brother I feel your pain. But when you get everything all situated I will tell you the easiest way to install a backup recovery program. It is an app in the App Market called free GEE... One click and bam you have a backup lol.. You may want to use freegee to make sure twrp is installed right.. It will just over write all the files and correct any wrongs... Freegee.. Remember that!!

coldcrush390

Feb 13, 2011
So for the first time in my history of Android's since the G1 I've finally bricked a phone. Apparently there was an OTA for the T-Mo devices and I managed to hamfist my notification and accept it.

Needless to say I'm now stuck permanently booting into TWRP. I've tried some various troubleshooting methods including doing what I thought was a successful sideload of the TMo-Stock-Rooted Rom. It showed a successful push and ran through the install but I got a message kicked back saying "No OS installed". Now I've seen other users receive this same message and after rebooting anyway they got their ROM to boot.

No such luck for me, after it reboots (post sideload install) it shows system as unmounted and then just boots back into recovery ad nauseum...I'm really at a loss here folks.
No worries friend! I almost went crazy last night trying to find a fix!! Here what fixed mine!

You need to be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS when typing this in:

Go to Advanced in TWRP and run Terminal

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota

then hit go
after it pushes through again type:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc
then hit enter and reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: ajax1d and jwagman1

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI
No worries friend! I almost went crazy last night trying to find a fix!! Here what fixed mine!

then hit go

Are those commands pushable through ADB? For whatever reason when I get to the Terminal Command through TWRP it wants me to navigate to a different directory and there's no command line to type things in. I've always been a CWM flash a .zip kinda guy so digging into ADB is all new for me.

jwagman1

May 21, 2007
no worries friend! I almost went crazy last night trying to find a fix!! Here what fixed mine!

You need to be extremely cautious when typing this in:

Go to advanced in twrp and run terminal

then hit go

Dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc

this worked perfectly!!! Thanks sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!

coldcrush390

Feb 13, 2011
Are those commands pushable through ADB? For whatever reason when I get to the Terminal Command through TWRP it wants me to navigate to a different directory and there's no command line to type things in. I've always been a CWM flash a .zip kinda guy so digging into ADB is all new for me.

Don't navigate anywhere, I thought the same thing just tap on select below and follow the commands. Take your time doing it and don't rush!

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

this worked perfectly!!! Thanks sooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!
Your welcome :)

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI
Don't navigate anywhere, I thought the same thing just tap on select below and follow the commands. Take your time doing it and don't rush!

Ran the terminal side commands, got to LG Splash and we're sitting there now. We'll see how long it sits or if it's a boot loop.

**EDIT**

10 minutes sitting at the LG splash no go. I managed to snag an interim wifi adapter for my desktop so I'm going to try the Flash tool posted from earlier and see if it works.

Last edited:

k4ylr

Jul 21, 2010
Minden, NV and Hilo, HI
How can I do this on add? What would be the commands on adb? I'm on CWR so I can't use twrp

Can't say for sure, I had seen some to run this way:

adb shell

then the 2 lines of prompt. I'm stuck on a boot loop so I'm trying to get the Flash Tool method to work. I should have not messed with G2 in retrospect lol, way too little support and far too big of a PITA to bother.

ajax1d

Apr 6, 2008

then hit go

This worked for me. I tried several other methods from other threads but could not complete them for various reasons.
This also is the simplest method as it installed the update without my having to download it again.

eat314

Jan 8, 2014
Update

I was able to bring the phone back with those commands using adb thank you guys for your help.

Did you have any driver issues? I'm stuck in the same situation booting just to ClockworkMod Recovery after an attempted OTA update. Can't connect to Win7 because driver can't configure properly even with the latest drivers installed. Connects file with my wife's working LG G2 so I know the drivers are right. Also tried to get into download mode with no luck. I'm stuck. Does anyone know how to get pass this?:(

eat314

Jan 8, 2014
Problem fixed!!!!

Did you have any driver issues? I'm stuck in the same situation booting just to ClockworkMod Recovery after an attempted OTA update. Can't connect to Win7 because driver can't configure properly even with the latest drivers installed. Connects file with my wife's working LG G2 so I know the drivers are right. Also tried to get into download mode with no luck. I'm stuck. Does anyone know how to get pass this?:(

OK. Finally got it working. Wish I had figured it out before I factory reset my phone. My main issue was the driver. Even though I had the right LG drivers installed, it just would not recognize it properly. Here is what I had to do after a failed device configuration.
- Go to Computer Management and find the failed device and Update Driver.
- Choose to manually select device and then select Have Disk.
- Find and select \Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LG VZW United Driver\64BitADB\lgandadb.inf (Tried the other xxxadb.inf files but none worked)
- When the list of devices is presented, scroll down and select LGE Mobile Server Single ADB Interface

Your device should now be recognized by adb. Follow the steps provided by others above in this thread and you should be good to go. Worked for me. Good luck.

Thank you all for the great knowledge base. Saved me $500!!! ::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

then hit go