[Q] Repair for Read-Only TouchPads?

How much would you spend to get your read-only TouchPad fixed?

• More than $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $76-100

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • $51-75

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $26-50

• $25 or less

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

jdcrutch

Dec 13, 2008
I'm one of the many TouchPad users whose tablet has switched over to a read-only state.

From what I've been able to gather, this is a hardware problem. HP won't fix it, and if your TP is out of warranty—as most are by now—HP wants $385 to replace the tablet with a refurb.

This seems like a golden opportunity for some handy hackers to go into the TouchPad repair business.

Is there anybody out there who has figured out how to repair this problem, and is willing to fix it for me and others in the same situation?

Is there anybody out there who has gotten his or her read-only TP repaired, and can recommend a repairman?

I'd be willing to spend some money, rather than see my TP and all the accessories I bought for it go to waste.

Jim Crutchfield
Long Island City, NY

Last edited:

ennu

Dec 23, 2012
curacao
tried this?

:confused:
I'm one of the many TouchPad users whose tablet has switched over to a read-only state.

From what I've been able to gather, this is a hardware problem. HP won't fix it, and if your TP is out of warranty—as most are by now—HP wants $385 to replace the tablet with a refurb.

This seems like a golden opportunity for some handy hackers to go into the TouchPad repair business.

Is there anybody out there who has figured out how to repair this problem, and is willing to fix it for me and others in the same situation?

Is there anybody out there who has gotten his or her read-only TP repaired, and can recommend a repairman?

I'd be willing to spend some money, rather than see my TP and all the accessories I bought for it go to waste.

Jim Crutchfield
Long Island City, NY

you tried this thread?: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13277-fixes-for-sdcard-issues-for-all-versions-of-cyanogenmod/ or this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45309263&postcount=284

Last edited:

jdcrutch

Dec 13, 2008
No Solution Yet

Ennu's threads are full of intriguing suggestions, but no solutions for the read-only problem.

Has anybody solved the read-only problem? Can anybody repair a read-only TP? What am I to do with my read-only tablet? Is it a total loss?

benru89

Dec 31, 2011
From time to time i do a google search hoping that someone had posted a solution for the read only memory problem..but everytime its the same threads with the same people and no answers, i guess we had bad luck with our devices as it seems that not many people is affected...damm i miss my touchpad... :(

asif9t9

Oct 29, 2011
I am facing this issue now, too. What's tough is I couldn't explain what was wrong for the longest time. Glad to know it's got a name....the "read only mode" problem. But what's the fix?

goodsouls

Oct 24, 2010
Providence, RI
From time to time i do a google search hoping that someone had posted a solution for the read only memory problem..but everytime its the same threads with the same people and no answers, i guess we had bad luck with our devices as it seems that not many people is affected...damm i miss my touchpad... :(

So, it's that time again for me..... Has anyone solved this problem yet? A DDG search revealed nothing new. :(

jdcrutch

Dec 13, 2008
Still no luck. I guess it's time to give up, but it seems such a shame. They were such nice tablets.

PrplHaz4

Aug 21, 2011
Yup, it's a shame - unfortunately, there doesn't even seem to be any single place that has all the info about this problem.

The last thread I was pulling on was that the write problems occurred due to an issue with one version of the Linux kernel in one of JC Sullins' CM9 builds. Unfortunately, tying all of the like problems (and any potential solution) together has been difficult at best. WebOS on mine seems to be functioning way too well for there to be some insurmountable hardware problem...