rooting 4.3 verizon gs3

Search This thread

nook2hd

Sep 6, 2013
SOLVED: SafeRoot works for VRUCML1, and SuperSU binary update issue resolved.

Followed all the steps of Saferoot, everything else seems ok except SuperSU failed to update su binary.
The weird thing is that steps after SuperSU update (disabling KNOX and installing busybox) seem ok, and while SuperSU's popup window asking for SU binary needs to be updated, I can see in the grayed out back showing ADB Shell as the only apps gained root access.

More detail on SuperSU binary update, I chose update su normal way (instead CWM/TWRP) and next popup will report "Installation failed. Please reboot and try again." I tried many reboots and results were all the same.

From Terminal emulator, su -v command shows su is at version 3.1.1 (that's the latest already). If I cancel binary update, SuperSU app will exit too. I tried to install superuser app and use it to update su binary as someone suggested, it will fail in gaining root access.

Any way to overcome this issue and gain root on this OTA 4.3? Please help.

Phone Info:

Device Name: SCH-I535
Baseband Version: I535VRUCML1
Build Number: JSS15J.I535VRUCML1
Hardware Version: I535.10

SOLVED: SafeRoot works for VRUCML1, and SuperSU binary update issue resolved. Hope this will be helpful to others who has similar problems.

Background, I was rooted in JB 4.1.2 before took the 4.3 OTA (can't remember which method I used to root though.)

It's the weird thing that ADB Shell was granted root access as was shown in the SuperSU grayed out background prompted me to dig deeper. I noticed that SafeRoot script installs su binary into /system/xbin, so while phone connected to PC, run "adb shell" command, I see $ prompt, then run "/system/xbin/su", I see root's # prompt. So ADB Shell can indeed gain root access.

From there, run "which su' which tells me the default su being used is /system/bin/su (apparently not from SafeRoot). Removing /system/bin/su resolved the SuperSU binary update failure issue.

Since you'll need root access to remove files from /system, here are the steps I used to do that.
While still with root access in the above mentioned adb shell, do the following:

mount -o remount,rw /system
cp /system/bin/su out_of_system_folder_for_backup (optional)
rm /system/bin/su
mount -o remount,ro /system

Now run SuperSU app in the phone, it should update binary ok and prompt you to reboot. Voila! you have root working now.

Hope this will be helpful to others.

Now, I am wondering how to enable the feature to add new APN in 4.3. Adding the following 2 lines:
ril.sales_code=LOL
ro.csc.sales_code=LOL

to build.prop file does not work anymore.

burowyako

Sep 12, 2007
I made the huge mistake of installing the OTA 4.3 update the other day. My phone is extremely slow and I need to do something about it. I haven't found a need to root my device but I'd sure love to at least go back to the 4.1 software or something else.

After doing some reading, it sounds like it's hard to do anything after the 4.3 update. I'm not sure what the Safestrap option does or the benefits of it. Can somebody give me some pointers? The battery life and performance of the device are killing me.

Thank you for your help!

buhohitr

Nov 30, 2011
Stock 4.3 is pretty good. I suggest you should do a factory reset first and slowly and carefully reinstall your apps one by one. You probably have too much junks and never tuneup your phone. Its time for a good clean up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

cjthompson

Feb 5, 2014
hey quick question. not sure if im in the right forum or not but it has to do with supersu and 4.3 so ill just ask here and if im in the wrong place maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

i rooted using SafeRoot / VRUCML1
root went fine.
i also downloaded ez-unlock.
i used ez-unlock (unlocked the bootloader) (was oblivious to the unlockable bootloader at that moment in time) (sure know about it now)
i also tried to update the binaries in superuser (as the program requested)
turned phone off, and wouldnt turn back on..............yay for HARDBRICK... :/

my question is, should i be able to safely update the binaries now that my phone is back up and running or is that not ok to do???????

im not sure whether ez-unlock or the supersu binary update was ultimately the cause of the hardbrick.

Phone: sch-1535 (samsung galaxy s3 vzw carrier)
debrick method: debrick image, external micro sd, android terminal emulator. transfer debrick.bin to internal sd, run emulator.......
not sure if you needed the information or not but figured i would provide it so no one would have to ask.

thanks in advance for any replies!!

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
hey quick question. not sure if im in the right forum or not but it has to do with supersu and 4.3 so ill just ask here and if im in the wrong place maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

root went fine.
i used ez-unlock (unlocked the bootloader) (was oblivious to the unlockable bootloader at that moment in time) (sure know about it now)

my question is, should i be able to safely update the binaries now that my phone is back up and running or is that not ok to do???????

im not sure whether ez-unlock or the supersu binary update was ultimately the cause of the hardbrick.

debrick method: debrick image, external micro sd, android terminal emulator. transfer debrick.bin to internal sd, run emulator.......
not sure if you needed the information or not but figured i would provide it so no one would have to ask.

Updating your binary will cause no problems.

Ez unlock is what bricked your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: cjthompson

whitelg35

Nov 29, 2014
I had a simile problem I also go the same message ( system not althorized)

can any one help I safe rooted my sch-i535 verizon jellybean 4.3 ..added titanium back and pressed something wrong in titanium back up that soft brick my phone so now all it says is "unauthorized software take to you local verizon dealer" i've tried everything Ive read on this site and then some,still boots to yellow screen of death.this is not the first phone i've rooted been playing with modifying phones since the V3M came out.yes it was updated by OTA 4.3..everything in Odin fails, the knot counter is tripped but i don't buy my phones from Verizon anyway, tried hard reset still nothing.I can get into down load mode (power,vol down/home)and reset mode(power, vol up/home)Kies says unauthorized software .anything would be helpful.......deadcat
I'm not sure how I fixed it, but when I put the phone in Odin mode and I think I pressed the power and it restarted like normal and everything worked.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tried to root my sch-i535 4.3 I had MTP click and usb debugging click...and it failed in odin...I have an image and link of what I was using to root the phone below and this is what the phone gave me in download mode...how can I fix this problem?

product name: sch-i535
    custom binary download: no
    current binary Samsung: official
    QUALCOMM secureboot: enable
    warranty bit:0
    bootloader rp swrev: 1
    secure check fail: recovery

root went fine.

Updating your binary will cause no problems.

Ez unlock is what bricked your phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I have sch-i535
    android 4.3
    version baseband: I535VRUCNC1
    I have 4.3 and I don't know how to root :(
    help me please.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2639337

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk