[dev][kernel][kexec]

Search This thread

delewer

Aug 20, 2011
Paris
So the hope is lost D:

why ?

I'm not asking for an eta. I'm asking how the current development is going. I want to see what issues need to be solved before I can attempt porting it to the Z.

I'm trying to stop every kernel interrupts before jump into new kernel.
I have fix few things like stuppid bugs in kexec_module and relocate_kernel.
I have patch from scratch doom kernel with hardboot.

Try to stop everything in a running stock kernel is hard, even from early in boot.
For eg. i need to stop all CPU (X 4)...

king960

Feb 4, 2013
Warsaw
why ?

Sorry, i am a noob, maybe i will participate in this topic, only by watching it, good luck :)

I'm trying to stop every kernel interrupts before jump into new kernel.
I have fix few things like stuppid bugs in kexec_module and relocate_kernel.
I have patch from scratch doom kernel with hardboot.

Try to stop everything in a running stock kernel is hard, even from early in boot.
For eg. i need to stop all CPU (X 4)...

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

Poesini

Apr 11, 2012
Cali
Oh I'm waiting on this really hard because I found out that I had a locked bootloader -_- (Yeah I didn't check but just now)

Reactions: king960

Patrick4

Jan 18, 2013
Hi, Im trying to port this to the xperia U but I can't load the modules, when i type in # insmod /system/lib/modules/kexec_load.ko i get insmod: can't open '/system/lib/modules/kexec_load.ko' , is it because of "vermagic", do i need to patch the modules to load them ? :confused:
can anyone help ?

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
just for information...
compressed kernel with lzma his bigger than no lzma lol
4,1 Vs 4,15

so, i thave try :
kexec --load zImage.lzma --mem-min=0x0f00000000 --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
debug: Focus 1 - argc '5' ; argv 'bea96754' ; kernel_buf 'b6bdf008' ; kernel_size '3f5414' ; info 'bea96528' ; i '1' ; file_type.name 'zImage'
debug: malloc - xmalloc mem_range '4511824'
Could not find a free area of memory of 3fd414 bytes...

lol ... if you could find a way to reduced size ?? :p

Did you reserved and freed memory for kexec? Something like:
+#if defined(CONFIG_KEXEC_HARDBOOT)
+static void kexec_hardboot_reserve(void)
+{
+ if (memblock_reserve(KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE)) {
+ printk(KERN_ERR "Failed to reserve memory for KEXEC_HARDBOOT: "
+ "%dM@0x%.8X\n",
+ KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE / SZ_1M, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START);
+ return;
+ }
+ memblock_free(KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE);
+ memblock_remove(KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE);
+
+ kexec_hardboot_device.num_resources = ARRAY_SIZE(kexec_hardboot_resources);
+ kexec_hardboot_device.resource = kexec_hardboot_resources;
+}
+#endif

Standard kexec not working and allso kexec can boot only kexec patched kernels, so I get them only working using hard kexec, hard worked on them and finaly I had a fully working kexec for Sony Xperia Go, Sola, P and U, maybe this help -> https://github.com/munjeni/android_kernel_xperiago/commits/jb-dev?page=2

I will start working on your work after I get Xperia Z1 Mini! You made a realy interesting thread, I am realy interested in this! Hope we get some progress. :good:

And one more thing, I will backport my Boot Menu to Z1 and Z1S soon as we get kexec working! More info here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2418241

Last edited:

delewer

Aug 20, 2011
Paris
Hi, what is a curent status of our things? Is kexec boot kernel? Curent problems is?

Thx for your interest.

My current Pb is not in kexec patch (hardboot) itself, or kernel patching. It not a real challege to patch the guest kernel to boot into.

My problem is, i haven't a host custom kernel because my bootloader is locked, and can't be unlocked.

So, to use kexec tool, i must create a kernel module to use kexec function.
Stock Z1 kernel don't have kexec_load function, and the module must recode this part of custom kernel (with little of hardboot patch of course)

Few function are missing in symlink too
Eg,
smp_send_stop function
soft_restart function
setup_mm_for_reboot function
etc...

I use a custom patch to call some stock function, and a internal patch in module itself
Eg :
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
grep soft_restart /proc/kallsyms

This, give me the address to call function, i have coded in kexec module

But, i have a last and hard pb to solve i can't found how.

I use EXTERN var adresses to call asm function (famous relocate_kernel.s)

But i don't anderstand why, this cause kernel panic in kexec.

Eg :
if i code (in machine_kexec) :
static unsigned long kexec_start_address;
static unsigned long kexec_indirection_page;
static unsigned long kexec_mach_type;
static unsigned long kexec_boot_atags;

Of course, var are all initilized to 0x0, and can't be used in relocate_kernel (are allway init to 0x0)
No kernel panic at init in machine_kexec.

If i declare
extern unsigned long kexec_start_address;
extern unsigned long kexec_indirection_page;
extern unsigned long kexec_mach_type;
extern unsigned long kexec_boot_atags;

I can see in machine_kexec the vars from relocate_kernel, but i have a kernel panic if i try to modify a var.
Eg :
kexec_start_address = image->start;
Cause a kernel panic.

To test, i force values in relocate_kernel itslef with my calculate values from a hardboot test.

This cause another kernel panic at the first use of relocate_kernel adress

Eg :
extern const unsigned char relocate_new_kernel[];
extern const unsigned int relocate_new_kernel_size;

(force call to test)
void (*my_relocate)(void) = (void *)reboot_code_buffer_phys;
my_relocate();
cause kernel panic (unabled to handle paging request at ...)

void (*my_relocate)(void) = (void *)relocate_new_kernel;
my_relocate();
cause kernel panic (unabled to handle paging request at ...)

So it's very strange, and hard to fix.

To test, i use scripts i call from DualBoot and recovery TWRP

I give you last version i use (with a looooot of display in it, to give me indications for debug)

If you can help...
May be my Pbs are easy to solve by gcc options, but... i don't know where to see..

To compil Tools you must to have a host and guest kernels

Eg (from my include script) "compil-kexec" :
** Pre-requisite : sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi
** Pre-requisite : sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
** Pre-requisite : you must compil stock kernel to adapt module for your kexec :
** Pre-requisite : eg - cd Sony_official_kernel_sources/14.1.G.2.257/kernel
** Pre-requisite : eg - export ARCH=arm
** Pre-requisite : eg - export CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/bin/arm-linux-gnueabi-
** Pre-requisite : eg - make rhine_honami_row_defconfig
** Pre-requisite : eg - make

My script do everything for you (transfert to phone by wifi or usb too)
it's include in zip

And here my kernel patch (with last fix)

I don't know if an unlocked stock kernel have the same Pbs (kernel panic when i use extern addresses)
May be a unlocked kernel work perfectly with this kexec module....

I think it's a lot easy with a custom allready patched host kernel like with your xperia P, G etc...

Another thing about kexec tool :
Z1 don't have a atags systems, bootloader speak with kernel.
We use a dt.img (device_tree image)
We use device_tree by R2 asm var as same as atags, but we must log this dt.img in memory.
This log in memory use a magic number with a offset i fix (0x800)
I have create a code to do that in kexec tool (not module).

Thx

Attachments

• kexec-tools-20140111.tar.gz
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Kexec-kernelZ1-Patch-20131215.tar.gz
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
  • kexec-exe-Z1-20140111.tar.gz
    756.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
Some info related to kernel. Last time when I played with kexec I found something interesting: seccond kernel (ota kernel - dumped from ota partition) booted with kexec! So that mean - host kernel loaded these stock ota kernel (seems ota kernel is allready kexec patched? But all other kernels which I tried was not abble to load by kexec because was not kexec patched! Only kexec patched kernels was abble to boot in host kernel!). So I think before you try to load an kernel you need to patch these kernel. You can try: try to build stock kernel, than see what is missing in .config, than enable missing defconfig things (things needed for kexec - but try to build them as a module - if something fail to build as a module, try to add missing things (there will be a lot of problems aka duplicate symbols, missing symbols...blabla, but I think we can get them working). I will try soon as I get Z1 Compat.

Another thing which I found in ramdisk init script: there was a service aka kexec.dyn (have no idea whats usage of them since there was no these binary in /system/bin). Maybe you can check them in your ramdisk (probably thats related to the ota kernel ramdsk - I not checked).

Do you have a kernel git? Just want to see reboot code.

Last edited:

delewer

Aug 20, 2011
Paris
Some info related to kernel. Last time when I played with kexec I found something interesting: seccond kernel (ota kernel - dumped from oem partition) booted with kexec! So that mean - host kernel loaded these stock oem kernel (seems ota kernel is allready kexec patched?

Are you sure it's an ota kernel ? Not a part of bootloader you run and launch the stock kernel ? (ota process ??)
If it's really a safe kernel (may be a secured kernel to unbrick device by sony), without sources it's useless... but interresting to see and to test kexec tool ;)

But all other kernels which I tried was not abble to load by kexec because was not kexec patched! Only kexec patched kernels was abble to boot in host kernel!). So I think before you try to load an kernel you need to patch these kernel.

I know that. You have my kexec zip patch for stock kernel attached in zip, into last post.(compatible with Doomkernel, because DooMLoRD use the stock sony kernel, and mod it)

You can try: try to build stock kernel, than see what is missing in .config, than enable missing defconfig things (things needed for kexec - but try to build them as a module - if something fail to build as a module, try to add them (there will be a lot of problems aka duplicate symbols, missing symbols...blabla, but I think we can get them working). I will try them soon as I get Z1 Compat.

I know that. I have use a lot of sony official sources to adapt kexec module from Sony kexec.
And, of course, i have compil Sony official kernel because you need to build the "dt.img" file.
;)

Another thing which I found in ramdisk init script: there was a service aka kexec.dyn (have no idea whats usage of them since there was no binary in /system/bin). Maybe you can check them in your ramdisk (probably thats related to the oem kernel ramdsk - I not checked).

Outch.. nether see that... really interesting...

No, i don't have official git...
:(

I use Doomlord Git to have a custom kernel to test (may be i can try with CM11 kernel too, but not now)
I use Sony Zip to install official kernel. I have .257 kernel, and not the last, because i wait for succes before update my stock kernel (i don't want to brick something by accident)

My rebbot code is in the patch (in one of 3 zips).
My patch is not a diff... it's the sources you replace into directories. It's better i thinks to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirhl

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
Some info related to kernel. Last time when I played with kexec I found something interesting: seccond kernel (ota kernel - dumped from ota partition) booted with kexec! So that mean - host kernel loaded these stock ota kernel (seems ota kernel is allready kexec patched? But all other kernels which I tried was not abble to load by kexec because was not kexec patched! Only kexec patched kernels was abble to boot in host kernel!). So I think before you try to load an kernel you need to patch these kernel. You can try: try to build stock kernel, than see what is missing in .config, than enable missing defconfig things (things needed for kexec - but try to build them as a module - if something fail to build as a module, try to add missing things (there will be a lot of problems aka duplicate symbols, missing symbols...blabla, but I think we can get them working). I will try soon as I get Z1 Compat.

Another thing which I found in ramdisk init script: there was a service aka kexec.dyn (have no idea whats usage of them since there was no these binary in /system/bin). Maybe you can check them in your ramdisk (probably thats related to the ota kernel ramdsk - I not checked).

Bootloader won't allow booting of kernels off FOTAKernel partition... Though you should be able.to use that space other wise...

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
Are you sure it's an ota kernel ? Not a part of bootloader you run and launch the stock kernel ? (ota process ??)
If it's really a safe kernel (may be a secured kernel to unbrick device by sony), without sources it's useless... but interresting to see and to test kexec tool ;)

Yes I booted ota kernel! Steps was: dumped ota kernel partition, extracted only kernel from dump, created ramdisk image using ramdisk from "stock kernel", separated ota kernel + ramdisk into new directory - for kexec boot, booted these ramdisk and these ota kernel using kexec, got them booted!

Last edited:
Reactions: monioo

munjeni

Jun 2, 2011
Bootloader won't allow booting of kernels off FOTAKernel partition... Though you should be able.to use that space other wise...

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app
Just for info I have erased these partition and I can create new partition there! So allso I think these partition can be mounted for something, for example you can store there recovery ramdisk and an kernel for booting them with kexec! If you realy need more info please search in xperia go forum (sorry, I forgot where I posted them, maybe in general section?!) where I created a thread related to custom partitioning on xperia go (changed userdata, cache...etc size, merged 2 unused partitons, increased data, created custom one...blabla!).

Edit:
found my post -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2418241&page=8

Last edited:
Reactions: monioo

bulanula

Jun 10, 2009
London
Just for info I have erased these partition and I can create new partition there! So allso I think these partition can be mounted for something, for example you can store there recovery ramdisk and an kernel for booting them with kexec! If you realy need more info please search in xperia go forum (sorry, I forgot where I posted them, maybe in general section?!) where I created a thread related to custom partitioning on xperia go (changed userdata, cache...etc size, merged 2 unused partitons, increased data, created custom one...blabla!).

Edit:
found my post -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2418241&page=8

So what does this mean ?

Is it possible to use this for kexec on other phones like Xperia P ?

I also saw this in my dmesg from Xperia P :

Code:
[ 5.787506] init: cannot find '/system/xbin/kexec.dyn', disabling 'kexec'

Maybe we can put something at that location so the init finds the file and does not disable kexec for kernel ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Last Update : August, 19, 2014
    Hi,

I'm still try to bypass the MMU protection.
    I have fixe a lot of bug, like memory misalignment, bad adresses allocation, dtb correction, etc...
    Last sources and binaries here :
    kexec-tools V11.zip : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2902912&stc=1&d=1408401794
    kexec-tools binaries V11.zip : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2902913&stc=1&d=1408401794

Sorry, i have always 13 sec reboot after new kernel boot.
    "cpu_proc_fin" use a "mcr p15" to init cache and proc that cause freeze.
    I try to find solution for that.

Last Update : June, 22, 2014
    Hi,

My sources are horrible... but i give something new.

This kexec is for stock kernel only (tested on .757). I thinks theses sources work on other kernel too.

In "kexec-tools V10.zip", you have all my sources. It's highly recommended to mod them to have something OK.

In "kexec binaries.zip", you have binaries to install
    => "kexec_load.ko" and "procfs_rw.ko" must be placed in "/system/lib/modules" folder with "chmod 777"
    => "kexec" must be placed in /system/bin" folder with "chmod 777"
    => cd /system/lib/modules
    => insmod kexec_load.ko

For sources :
    Mod and adapt all you want, it's free.
    You have 2 scripts in Zip : "./compil-kexec" in "kexec-tools" folder to rebuild and send in device directly (install Adbtcp on device and send by tcp with : adb connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) = work perfectly with me.
    "scriptZ1" is for compil stock kernel or another kernel (doomlord kernel for eg)
    You must rename "custom_final_files" folder after compil to "final_file" manually ; You can have guest kernel in "custom_final_files" and stock kernel in "final_files" for "kexec-tools" path ... Don't mix a guest and host kernel please ^^

I am tired... i let you test and say if it's ok for you...

Thank a lot to munjeni for his help.

kexec-tools V10.zip : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2811994&stc=1&d=1403456181
    kexec binaries.zip : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2811995&stc=1&d=1403456181

Last Update : November, 23, 2013
    Hi,
    For few days now, i haven't no more kernel panic with my kexec.
    I have fixed few stuffs into sources, and add a lot.

These adds are, to include a "dt.img" image file into kexec load process.

This image file is a "device_tree" image to match hardware to software.

So, i assume to don't include atags into boot process, but pass bootloader informations by this DT.
    I have programmed a little scan memory to found dynamicly all magic tags, because i found 3 device_tree into memory (magic is "0xd00dfeed").
    These 2 device_tree are echo from first and nice structure.

The boot process need to have informations from this DT, and need all informations to initialize hardware (no HDW initialisation by the kernel)
    I must first fix issues ; Regroup zImage and dt.img into memory to load a solid bloc to kexec_load module to boot into, and second, fix an offset i can't explain, 0x800 in memory causing misalignment memory

Keep tuned..

Last Update : November, 17, 2013

Hi everybody,

My kexec-tools work for Sony Xperia Z1 stock kernel "3.4.0-perf"
    This tools can work on all locked bootloader for all locked device, not only Sony or Z1 models.
    This kexec-tools add a kexec_load kernel module (LKM) and use a driver to grant a communication between "kexec" user program and kexec_load.ko module

what is for ?
    "kexec" user program load in memory a custom kernel in zImage format, but can load ".tar" image too
    This user tool load ramdisk in memory if necessary
    This tool is for this purpose only, and don't keep in memory the custom kernel at device reboot.
    It is a "user" program, not a "kernel" extension... So, to really do the magic, we need the host kernel (stock sony locked kernel) have a kexec_load capability to reboot in a new gest kernel (custom kernel).

Infortuntly, stock kernel don't have kexec_load capability.
    Sony have compiled his stock kernel without this option, and "standard" kexec-tools "need" this option to work. :eek:

To see all system call capability of kernel, you can run theses command :
    Code:
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict 
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/kptr_restrict
    cat /proc/kallsyms
    Do all grep you want here.
    The "echo 0" "restrict" is here to unmask logical adresses to "system calls"
    Like you can see, "__NR_kexec_load" capability isn't here.

To add kexec_load capability in stock locked kernel, we need to add manualy a kernel module wich add this function into the kernel.
    Why ? Because the way to keep in memory a custom kernel need to know a lot of parameters, and keep a specific memory range alive at reboot.
    Only kernel can do this.
    All user program will be terminated at reboot.

"Standard" kexec_load.ko module use a method to implement the "__NR_kexec_load" function in system call table.
    Since 2.6.0 kernel, linux for security reason, have locked in memory the "system_call_table" ; No more add or modification is authorized.
    If kexec tool try to add a value, "kexec_load" for us, we causes a kernel panic, and reboot device.

For this reason, i have modify kexec user program and kexec_load module to implement a driver to talk to each other.

this driver replace syscall method, and we no more need to use a system call table.
    For this reason, this tool is now compatible with modern kernel like our "3.4.0"
    For this reason, this tool must work for other device (Xperia X, P, S, etc...) and another brand
    For this reason, if kernel is locked, we can bootstrap to run a new kernel.

Installation
    First, you can compil your own kexec tool
    Here, sources : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2397299&stc=1&d=1384689174

And here, the binaries : http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2397305&stc=1&d=1384689406
    (it's not a cwm zip, i have no time to create an installer for now ; use "./compil-kexec" if you want an automatic install)
    Install *.ko in /system/lib/modules
    Install kexec and kdump in /system/bin
    Grant with "chmod 777"

Unzip in kexec-tools folder
    Install a toolchain (sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi)
    launch => ./compil-kexec

what's all
    This script can do everythinks for you
    - Compilation of tools
    - Compilation of modules
    - installation in device
    This script can compil for every brand you have.
    Except you must remove or adapt the patch (see below why)

Patch ??
    This patch is because a module must be compiled in the same time the kernel himself.
    For this reason a "vermagic", an identifier, is used by system to block every module not compil with kernel
    Some custom kernel bypass this to authorize every modules.
    But for stock kernel, it is not allowed.
    You can easely strapp this by busybox.
    "busybox modprobe" for help
    "-f" to force load without vermagic

To see this vermagic :
    Code:
    # uname -r
    This "uname -r" must be the same that
    Code:
    # strings kexec_load.ko | grep vermagic
    vermagic=3.4.0-perf-g66807d4-02450-g9a218f1 SMP preempt mod_unload modversions ARMv7
    If you want use automaticaly this vermagic, you can modify into the custom kernel this file :
    Code:
    "include/config/kernel.release" and add :
    "3.4.0-perf-g66807d4-02450-g9a218f1"
    This file will be use at module compil to match the vermagic.

Infortunatly, it is not enought. :silly:

The infamous "no symbol version for module_layout"
    When a module compil is created, it use symbols link to system call function, translate by adresses
    Theses symbols are not at same physical adresses in stock kernel and modules (compiled from DooMLoRD kernel).
    So, theses adresses must be convert into modules itself to match with stock symbols adress.
    A patch is needed.
    If you use my script, modules are automatically patched.

Here patches :
    Code:
    sed -i 's/\x32\x76\x86\x29/\x72\xFF\x5E\x20/' procfs_rw.ko
    sed -i 's/\x32\x76\x86\x29/\x72\xFF\x5E\x20/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xBB\xD0\xF8\x4D/\x0E\x1C\x63\x77/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xA6\x26\x81\x1A/\xD4\x56\x02\x7E/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xA3\xD1\xEC\x96/\xEC\x43\x28\x1A/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x8C\xE6\x6A\x5F/\x3D\xDF\x02\xF2/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x3E\xF3\xEF\xE9/\x18\x7F\xA6\x8A/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x8B\xD2\x92\x10/\xC8\x19\x08\x9C/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x1C\xE8\x18\xE1/\x7C\x71\x9E\xEF/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xAB\x2C\x2F\x8B/\x8E\xD7\x63\xC0/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xF5\x62\xAA\x4B/\x34\x80\x1B\x74/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x00\x52\xD6\xD7/\x6F\x80\x91\x20/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x4F\x77\x57\x6A/\x0C\x57\xC7\x63/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xCA\x2F\x65\x71/\x92\xB8\x7F\x53/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x0F\xD0\xA0\x91/\xFA\x80\x15\xB4/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x29\xA0\x6D\x48/\x6C\x6B\x96\x54/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\x6D\x1F\x1F\x37/\xCC\x5E\x79\x8B/' kexec_load.ko
    sed -i 's/\xFD\x23\xD0\xFB/\xE3\xE3\x68\x52/' kexec_load.ko
    You can use hexedit or hexdump to see these adresses :
    Code:
    hexdump kexec_load.ko | grep ff72         
    0003d50 b0b0 80ac ff72 205e 6f6d 7564 656c 6c5f
    how does it work ?
    # kexec --help
    For kexec help... nothing more to say.

# lsmod
    List loaded modules... You must see
    kexec_load 31369 0 - Live 0x00000000 (O)

# rmmod kexec_load.ko
    Remove kexec_load module from memory.

# grep kexec /proc/device
    To see installed driver.
    You must see :
    100 kexec_driver

First number is "major" number to identify your driver in system.

# mknod /dev/kexec_driver c 100 0
    Install driver.
    Major number (here 100), is important for module.
    This Major must be the same between module and driver.
    By default, 100 is used.

# insmod kexec_load.ko
    To install "LKM", kexec_load kernel module.
    If another Major is needed, you can use "insmod kexec_load.ko 101" for Major 101
    You can use "modprob" if you want, but you must configure the module folder.

How kexec and module exchange informations ?
    By the driver.
    Normal output for a kernel module is to write in "dmsg" file.
    To see kernel output, launch this command :
    Code:
    # dmesg
    To see last kernel log, see in :
    Code:
    # cat /proc/last_kmsg
    For kexec module, this normal way still exist, and give a lot of informations, but to speak with, you must use the driver.
    /dev/kexec_driver

You can yourself test communication:
    Code:
    # cat /dev/kexec_driver
    You can send kernel by this communication channel.
    Type following commands for help
      => echo help >/dev/kexec_driver
      => dmesg | grep Kexec
    Code:
    # echo help >/dev/kexec_driver
    # cat /dev/kexec_driver
    Last command : 'help'
     Please type following command :
          => dmesg|grep Kexec
    Every command send into driver is receive by kexec_load.ko module and running into the kernel.
    The answer can by read thru the driver

Here, you can see that normal way to see messages is allway dmesg.

Code:
    # dmesg|grep Kexec
    <4>[15050.521628] Kexec: Starting kexec_module...
    <6>[15050.521656] Kexec: kexec_driver_contener allocation
    <6>[15050.521673] Kexec: kexec_memory_buffer allocation
    <4>[15050.521691] Kexec:----------------------------------------------------
    <4>[15050.521710] Kexec: kexec_driver created with major : '100'
    <4>[15050.521728] Kexec: Please, prepare by typing the following commands :
    <4>[15050.521746] Kexec:  => mknod /dev/kexec_driver c 100 0
    <4>[15050.521761] Kexec:  => cat /dev/kexec_driver
    <4>[15050.521775] Kexec:-----------------------------------------------------
    <4>[15050.521791] Kexec:  For help
    <4>[15050.521803] Kexec:  => echo help >/dev/kexec_driver
    (...)
    I have add a lot of informations to help to configure kexec.

rdtags, atags ??
    Not sure for this part of kernel.
    "atags" is the most used method to bootloader to parse commands and informations to kernel at boot.
    "atags" is a form of structure in memory to organise informations.
    At boot, a address chain is created and can be compulse in /proc/atags file.
    This file is read only system.
    "rdtags" is another way to bootloader to parse information to kernel.
    "rdtags" is not stocked in "/proc"
    But, as i see, stock kernel can use "atags" from bootloader.
    kexec can substitute bootloader function to create fromscratch a atags chain, and parse to new kernel.
    I have change this part to stock atags in "/data/atags", and reuse or change if need.

If this don't work, i must create a rdtags chain to replace atags ; It's not a hard work.

Status

For the moment, kexec tools works.
    => Phase one OK.

I can start Phase Two : new kernel patch.
    If you want to help me...

Actually, load a custom kernel and boot into with kexec tools work.
    But at boot into, a kernel panic occurs.

It seems, a part of kexec patch is missing in custom kernel.
    Attempts on Xperia P (sorry IF i noob-ed with this post)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2053466

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

It's a dead thread.
    Because, it's a epic failed (for now).

Status of my attempts :

Modules loads : OK for two modules (kexec_load and procfs_rw)
    - procfs_rw.ko => create "/proc/atags" => ok, but bad buf... it must be fix (easy part)
    - kexec_load.ko => Loaded => ok but, the way to use is "syscall" add for kexec_load function => failed
    why ? Because after 2.6 kernel (Z1 have 3.4.0 kernel), syscall_table is read only and had fixed size. So if i attempt to add value (kexec_load in our case), we have kernel panic.

But i have a solution to add function in LKM, is to add a "real" module call.

I have add a "kexec_driver" in "/dev" structure by :
    Code:
    insmod kexec_load.ko
    mknod /dev/kexec_driver c 254 0
    (...)
    crw-rw-rw- root     root     254,   0 2013-11-11 15:26 kexec_driver

Driver is in alpha stage and highty experimental

To be continue...
    just for information...
    compressed kernel with lzma his bigger than no lzma lol
    4,1 Vs 4,15

so, i thave try :
    kexec --load zImage.lzma --mem-min=0x0f00000000 --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
    debug: Focus 1 - argc '5' ; argv 'bea96754' ; kernel_buf 'b6bdf008' ; kernel_size '3f5414' ; info 'bea96528' ; i '1' ; file_type.name 'zImage'
    debug: malloc - xmalloc mem_range '4511824'
    Could not find a free area of memory of 3fd414 bytes...

lol ... if you could find a way to reduced size ?? :p

Did you reserved and freed memory for kexec? Something like:
    +#if defined(CONFIG_KEXEC_HARDBOOT)
    +static void kexec_hardboot_reserve(void)
    +{
    + if (memblock_reserve(KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE)) {
    + printk(KERN_ERR "Failed to reserve memory for KEXEC_HARDBOOT: "
    + "%dM@0x%.8X\n",
    + KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE / SZ_1M, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START);
    + return;
    + }
    + memblock_free(KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE);
    + memblock_remove(KEXEC_HARDBOOT_START, KEXEC_HARDBOOT_SIZE);
    +
    + kexec_hardboot_device.num_resources = ARRAY_SIZE(kexec_hardboot_resources);
    + kexec_hardboot_device.resource = kexec_hardboot_resources;
    +}
    +#endif

Standard kexec not working and allso kexec can boot only kexec patched kernels, so I get them only working using hard kexec, hard worked on them and finaly I had a fully working kexec for Sony Xperia Go, Sola, P and U, maybe this help -> https://github.com/munjeni/android_kernel_xperiago/commits/jb-dev?page=2

I will start working on your work after I get Xperia Z1 Mini! You made a realy interesting thread, I am realy interested in this! Hope we get some progress. :good:

And one more thing, I will backport my Boot Menu to Z1 and Z1S soon as we get kexec working! More info here -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2418241
    Excellent work Delewer!

So is it currently functional but with bugs or does it still need work before others can start testing it?

Are your tests at the moment with Sony stock kernel (i,e, DooMKernel) or with AOSP kernel (i.e. CM kernel running CM10 or equivalent)?

It's not a fonctionnal kexec ; all i see in my sources say it work, but it is not yet, it's frustating to me to be so close.

I test only with DoomKernel, to be sure when ok, to see it is.
    When ok, aosp will be kexeced immediatly after... for sure !!!

Most important for now it's to have log from new kernel to debug the first crash ; if i have a log, we win the battle.
    Hi new thread created for kernel kexec development.

Status: not working: wrong values for mem defines under the kernel is giving segmentation fault as its attempting to write to memory areas that are currently being used byyyyy the system

Instructions:
    Make kernel compatible?:
    1. Download kernel diff patch from below
    2. Terminal - diff patch > diff.txt

How to use:
    1. Download kexec-tools (kexec binary) from below
    2. Copy into system/bin directory and give it executable permission
    3. Download compatible kernel
    4. Terminal - kexec --load-hardboot zImage --initrd=initrd.img --mem-min=0x20000000 --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
    kexec -e

Download links:
    Kexec tool- https://db.tt/8DZXQ9eV
    Ramdisk firmware 1.548 : https://db.tt/8DZXQ9eV
    zImage (kernel):

Source code:
    Kernel diff patch: https://db.tt/Xi2htT7Q (currently contains wrong values for mem defines)
    Kexec-tools: https://db.tt/I22ofr3b

Special thanks: @delewer @krabappel2548