>>> General explanation .. please skip to read about the real problem below if your time is limited:
I will start by saying that I am NOT a knowledgeable Android user. In fact my whole experience with android started 2 days ago when I bought a second-hand galaxy S3 phone to finally put an end to my struggle with my Blackberry.
My BB died and I was in a hurry to get another smartphone to keep track of my work-related emails while travelling. I decided to buy a used phone because i am currently travelling in Indonesia. I didn't want to buy a new phone that will get scratches the next day. I settled on the S3 as the price vs value was unmatched by any other phone. I did not check any tips or thoughts before buying the phone which was a mistake on my part and now I think i have a problem. Basically, I just want to have the stock rom provided by Samsung on my phone so I can download updates OTA. I am not interested in rooting and trying altered versions of Android as I am currently travelling and got no time to keep track of bug fixes, problems or manual updates.
The system installed on the phone is Android 4.0.4. I wanted to update to JellyBean but when I tried to register the device for software updates, I kept getting "Processing Failed". I searched online and found several posts about the same issue explaining that the reason is mostly related to the CSC of the device (that was my introduction to the technical side of Android). Also, after further research, I found out that the system installed on my phone is Chinese while the build of the phone is Korean. I checked many posts regarding changing the CSC, rooting and unrooting, flashing to stock rom ....etc. However, after all that research, I am still confused on the right process to follow in order to revert to the original system where I can download updates OTA and I would really appreciate any type of help.
FACTS about the phone:
- When I connect to Kies it shows that the device name is SHV-210k which is a Korean build. It also shows the CSC is ALFA which I couldn't find an interpretation for.
- When check the "Settings" >> "About Device", I get:
- Model number: GT-I9300
- Android version: 4.0.4
- Baseband version: Unknown
- Kernal version:
SMP PREMPT Tue Jul 10 20:47:55 KST
- Build number: it's a link and as this is my first post I am not allowed to post links yet. You may see the link in the picture below.
- When I dial *#1234# I get to see the Firmware Version I get:
- AP: I9300ZSALF5
- CSC: I9300ZSALFA
After doing some research, I found that ZS refers to the China/Honk Kong.
- When I dial *#9090# I get to the Service Mood. I choose:  Version Info >>  SW Version >>  All SW Versions. Then I get:
- SW Ver : E210KKKLG3
- Rf Cal Date : 20120703
- Product Code:
- Base SW Version : CMC221_MG10_C
- I also tried Root Checker to see if I have root access but it says I don't.
- I checked Sammobile for a stock rom. I entered the name of the device that Kies showed (SHV-E210K) and there is only one option for KTF mobile (a Korean service provider). The info of that option are:
Latest firmware info
- SHV-E210K null
- PDA: E210KKKUGML4
- CSC: E210KKTTGML4
- MODEM: E210KKKML3
- Added: 2013-12-15
Things I need to know:
- Does my phone have a problem?
- Is it possible to change the name of the device that Keis shows (SHV-E210K in this case)
- What is the difference between SW Version and Firmware version?
- Is there a simple way to alter the phone to make it able to download updates OTA?
- IMPORTANT: Is the stock rom I found on Sammobile suitable for my device? If yes, should I simply flash it back? will that get me back to the original system of my S3?
- I can return/switch the phone from the store I bought it from (got 2 weeks trial period) but I got this S3 with 32GB internal memory for $260 in mint condition with no scratches whatsoever. The price is so cheap that I would rather keep it if it can be fixed safely. So, the big question is: Should I return/switch it?
I thought about changing the CSC of the phone to an Indonesian one but with the phone being Korean functioning with a Chinese system, I am not sure this will get me OTA updates. I also thought about reverting to the Samsung supported Android version by flashing back to a stock rom, but, I don't know whether I should install a korean rom, a chinese rom or an Indonesian rom. As I said in the beginning, it's my first experience with android.
Please: if anybody knows the right process to follow in this case, I would appreciate a simple explanation with a basic walk-through. I can provide more information if needed so please ask away.