[ROM][GT-S8000] Android for non-android phone [JétDROID] CyanogenMod 7.1 unofficial

Search This thread

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Jét-Droid project

This mind-blowing development project has successfully ported Android to the non-android smartphones by Samsung S8000 and S8003

Dual boot (JetQi bootloader) preserves stock OS on the internal memory and boots into Android from the external micro SD card

Altough JetDroid project was done also for Samsung S8003, I will refer here only to S8000 as I couldn't test any of this with the S8003

NEW DEVELOPERS ARE WELCOME

INDEX:
This post includes:"JétDroid" project introduction / S8000 hardware info / development info
Post #2: Install guide for users / download links / attached files
Post #3: ROM CyanogenMod 7.1 (State-of-the-Art ROM to 2013/2014)
Post #4: Older ROMs and CyanogenMod 9 experimental

CREDITS:
All the credits and respect goes to the guys who have grounded, carried and brought to us this project, its developers and contributors:
  • dopi
  • KB-JetDroid
  • Carlos_Manuel
  • aleksey.4erepanov
  • and many others: please post here and I will update the list
The project home was not on the XDA but here:
External links (old):
Guys from JetDroid project are most welcome to join this thread, I'm sure some of them are here on the XDA forum :)

HARDWARE INFO
SAMSUNG Jét S8000
"Smarter than smartphone"

With this enormous fanfare worldwide, (with the General Manager for the UK who tought that the Samsung Jet S8000 is better than the Apple iPhone 3GS) Samsung's flagship handset as of 2009, Samsung Jet S8000 was released with this not really modest marketing tag that can be found still nowadays on internet.

Yet, altough released back in 2009, the hardware of the S8000 is even as of beginning 2014 still better than many modern low-end android phones and throughout interesting target for the android porting development:

samsung_gt_s8000_jet.jpg
samsung-jet-s8000-phone.jpg

Technical information:
  • Manufacturer: Samsung Mobile
  • Availability by country: June 2009
  • Compatible networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
  • UMTS (3G): 900/2100 MHz
  • HSDPA: 3.6Mbps
  • Form factor: Touchscreen bar
  • Dimensions: 108.8(H) x 53.5(W) x 11.9 mm(D)
  • Weight: 110 g
  • CPU: 800 MHz processor
  • Display: 3.1" (79mm) 16M color WVGA AMOLED touchscreen, 480 x 800 pixels
  • Platform: Latest TouchWiz 2.0 UI with Motion UI, Media Gate 3D and Smart unlock
  • Data inputs: T9, Abc
  • Memory: 2GB internal / removable storage: microSD up to 16 GB (microSDHC compatible)
  • Rear camera: 5MP (2,592×1,944 pixels) auto-focus, with dual LED flash, geo-tagging, image stabilization, face detection, Smile Shot, Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) and D1 video recording at 30 fps
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, standard microUSB port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, TV out
  • Media: MP3, AAC, AAC+, e-AAC+, WMA, AMR, WAV, MP4, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV, DivX, and XviD
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), AGPS, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, and USB 2.0 (microUSB)
  • Other: Accelerometer for screen auto rotate and turn-to-mute, electronic compass, FM radio with RDS, DNSe and SRS sound effect, Touchscreen, full web browser (Dolfin), and haptic touch feedback
  • Battery: 1100 mAh Li-ion
  • Battery Talk Time: up to 8.2 hours
  • Standby: up to 442 hours

CONS of Samsung's OS:
  • The hardware of this nice looking handset is excellent but crippled by its poor operating system and even poorer support from Samsung
  • No additional widgets / applications to download
  • Official firmware support is non existent
  • The Exchange sync software doesn't work with gmail
  • No text smiley's
  • Can't copy/paste text
  • GPS drains the battery (Wi-Fi also)
  • Java support is poor
  • Motion gate is useless
  • Memo's limited to 100 characters
  • The phone with Samsung's OS is laggy

GET A JETDROID DEVELOPER !!
DEVELOPMENT INFO: about "JETDROID"
Target: porting Android OS to non-android devices Samsung Jét GT-S8000 (and GT-S8003)

"JETDROID": HOW DOES IT WORK?
  • Linux-based hardware of Samsung Jét is in general capable of booting into Android OS
  • Boot into Android OS is done here directly from external SD card, not from internal memory
  • JetDroid partition of the external (removable) SD card is formatted with Linux OS to ext2 or ext3
  • JetQi bootloader must be flashed on the S8000, boot into Android is possible with 2-buttons-combo
  • Original Samsung's firmware remains unmodified and the S8000 can also boot normally into stock OS
JETDROID DEVELOPMENT SOURCES:
BUILD A ROM - DEVICE REPOSITORY SOURCES:
DEVELOPMENT STATUS (to early 2014):
  • modification of the JetQi bootloader is possible for succesful porting of the CWM recovery
  • drivers development necessary for enabling SIM card functions (calls, SMS)
  • State-of-the-Art ROM: CyanogenMod 7.1 (build 20130603 by Carlos_Manuel: DOWNLOAD IT HERE)
JETDROID project / external links:

Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Flashing guide

FLASHING GUIDE

DISCLAIMER:
Code:
* [i]i am not responsible for any bricked devices, marriage crisis,[/i]
* [i]sleeples nights, termonuclear wars, electricity blackouts, short[/i]
* [i]circuits, or for bad weather in your region that will brick your phone.[/i]
* [i]this thread is for an older device, download links may dissapear by time[/i]
* [i][b]warning:[/b] bootloader flashing is just always risky proceeding that[/i]
* [i]could hard-brick any device. Everybody is flashing on his own wish- and risk[/i]

INSTALL CHECKLIST:
  • S8000 must be unlocked (both sim and network) otherwise hard-brick by flashing of the bootloader is possible
  • Samsung mobile usb driver must be installed on your pc and device recognized by the pc
  • Compatible original firmware (list in the guide) must be flashed with multiloader v.5.62 (attached)
  • After that, the JetQi dual-boot bootloader must be flashed with multiloader v.5.62
  • External SDHC card must be inserted in the phone (the faster SDHC card is, the better)
  • Card gets formatted by running Samsung OS with Ubuntu/Linux OS (running Ubuntu in the Virtual box or as "Test Ubuntu" (live CD) is also possible)
  • Unmount TFLASH volume (careful here, as MFLASH is internal partition of the stock fw of your phone!!!!)
  • Better use "Disk Utility" than "Gparted" to format the SDHC card and format first partition as "Master-Boot-Record" (ext2) for JetDroid ROM
  • JetDroid partition size for JetDroid can be between 1550-1950mb, create another partition (rest) as FAT
  • Mount both volumes/partitions (ext and FAT)
  • Extract in Ubuntu downloaded ROM and paste all files on the JetDroid partition
  • In "Terminal" (Ubuntu) set permissions: (sudo chmod -R 777 /media/yournameforjetdroidpartition(withoutspaces)
  • Now "Safely remove parent drive" (phone) and switch off the phone
  • Boot with 2-buttons-combo into Android OS (call&power buttons)

GUIDE:

DOWNLOADS: (all links are still working)
  • download here the files for the old Eclair 2.1 build
  • this JetQi bootloader works on my s8000 (also attached on the bottom of this post)
  • another JetQi bootloader links: jacquesjk-bootloader or this one here (both untested by me)
  • multiloader v.5.62 (flashing software for compatible stock rom) is attached on the bottom of this post

Buttons on the s8000:
functions of the buttons:
View attachment 2508844
(click to enlarge)

download files:

Attachments

• JetQi_Bootloader0.2.zip
    145.8 KB · Views: 1,973
  • MultiLoader_V5.62_Win.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,616
Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
State-of-the-Art ROM for JETDROID

NOTE: my own reccomendation is to use only the very fastest SDHC cards you can get. Don't even consider anything beyond Class 10, otherwise you will face unstable and laggy performance. Sandisk extreme 80Mbps will work the best.

CyanogenMod 7.1
by Carlos_Manuel

DOWNLOADS: CyanogenMod 7.1 (build 20130603): DOWNLOAD IT HERE
(Carlos_Manuel's site)

WHAT IS WORKING:
  • ADB (everything works: push/pull, installing apps, logcat, permissions changing etc)
  • WiFi
  • Root (I did it with the SuperOneclick 2.3.3 root tool by Shortfuse)
  • Touchscreen fully working
  • Bluetooth (send & receive)
  • Play Store / Google account sync
  • Apps (all works: root & no-root)
  • CM7.x features: like multi-languages support etc
WHAT IS NOT WORKING:
(as in other JetDroid ROMs):
  • SIM card: no connection
  • none of the SIM functions (calls, SMS, mobile data)
  • battery status displays always 70% (charging works normally)
All credits for this ROM to dopi, KB-JetDroid and @Carlos_Manuel

Attachments

• screenshot-20140108-202956.png
    screenshot-20140108-202956.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,382
  • screenshot-20140108-203553.png
    screenshot-20140108-203553.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,329
  • screenshot-20140108-203700.png
    screenshot-20140108-203700.png
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,307
  • screenshot-20140108-204923.jpg
    screenshot-20140108-204923.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,455
  • screenshot-20140108-204954.png
    screenshot-20140108-204954.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,305
  • screenshot-20140108-205035.png
    screenshot-20140108-205035.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,252
  • screenshot-20140108-205152.png
    screenshot-20140108-205152.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,066
  • screenshot-20140108-205240.png
    screenshot-20140108-205240.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,017
  • screenshot-20140108-210331.jpg
    screenshot-20140108-210331.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,102
  • screenshot-20140109-052334.png
    screenshot-20140109-052334.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • screenshot-20140110-151543.png
    screenshot-20140110-151543.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,071
Last edited:

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
JétDroid: ROMs overview / earliest to latest

JétDroid and me: pros & cons
At this point, I will just report my own experience with all other ROMs that I was able to try so far on my S8000
* * * * * * * this comparison is therefore just subjective and by no mean a fair or complete overview * * * * * * * *

Out of my own experience, I can report here only of four ROMs that I was able to boot on my S8000. Regrettably, I have missed whole this exciting development project although I own this phone since 2009: I simply never browsed in internet, couldn't even imagine to boot into Android OS with it. If you ask me "is it worth it"? I will say: yes, definitely! One can use Samsung's TW2.0 for calls, SMS and mobile internet and Android with WLAN. It is matter of taste, I really enjoy to use Android with my Jét, especially my favorite ROM, the CM7.1 by Carlos_Manuel

VIDEO COMPARISON:
**** TouchWiz **** Eclair (2.1) **** CyanogenMod 9 (4.0.4) **** CyanogenMod 7.1 ****

For watching in 1920x1080 HD, please CLICK HERE to watch it directly on YouTube

JETDROID ROMs - functionality comparison:

Eclair 2.1 (JetPlatform0.2 and 0.3)
  • ADB: NO
  • WiFi: NO
  • Bluetooth: (send & receive) NO
  • Root: NO
  • Touchscreen: YES (fully working)
  • Google (Play Store / account sync etc): NO
  • Apps: YES, at least all of those you can install
  • Android version features: YES (languages, etc)
  • Functionality: unstable, laggy, freezes often, no tone (indication works)
  • Comment: despite just few working functions, developing of this ROM was simply the revolution in person and excellent base for further development. A key-feature (JetQi bootloader) was invented short before this stage. Reportedly, Wi-Fi was working on 0.3 platform, however I wasn't able to turn it on, or I have used wrong files on my SDHC card.

CyanogenMod 6 (Froyo 2.2)
Unfortunatelly, I wasn't able to boot this ROM. I've tried all tricks but the ROM I found and downloaded simply didn't boot. I am grateful if anybody gives me a hint where to download working one.

CyanogenMod 7.1 (Gingerbread 2.3.7)
  • ADB: YES (everything works: push/pull, installing apps, logcat, permissions changing etc)
  • WiFi: YES (fully working)
  • Bluetooth: YES (fully working: send & receive)
  • Root: YES (I've gained root access it with the SuperOneclick 2.3.3 root tool by Shortfuse, that uses ADB to install Superuser and busybox)
  • Touchscreen: YES fully working
  • Google (Play Store / account sync etc): YES (all working)
  • Apps: YES (all apps work here: no matter if root or no-root ones)
  • Android version features: YES (all working)
  • Functionality: altough slow compared to modern devices, with fastest SDHC cards it is stable and not too laggy, it makes definitely fun to use it. Not so with slower SDHC cards: unstable und laggy, CPU gets warmer then.
  • Comment: overall best ROM that I could try. If some day a Jét-driver for the SIM card get succesfully developed and some recent Linaro codes implemented in the kernel to boost its performance, this ROM would be just perfect for the S8000

CyanogenMod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4)
  • ADB: YES... (not fully, installing Apps via ADB works, read comment)
  • WiFi: NO (freezes)
  • Bluetooth: YES (I didn't try data transfer)
  • Root: ALMOST (read comment)
  • Touchscreen: ALMOST (cursor circle works, also click, but not "hold" click, therefore difficult scrolling)
  • Google (Play Store / account sync etc): NO (no Wi-Fi, no SIM card, so no connectivity)
  • Apps: YES
  • Android version features: YES (multi-languages, time zones, correct time displaying)
  • Functionality: early development stage, tough obviously great potential for the S8000 in ICS, hopefully it will be developed further
  • Comment: with this ROM as-is, ADB was working, but it wasn't able to install apps. After just a simple experiment of copy&paste of few files from the CM7.1 ROM (cat, getprop, sh) I was already able to install the Apps and nearly gained root access. Some basic files are missing in this ROM that is bit left alone in its early stage of development (ADB reports: rm not found so it can not delete the files). This ROM has potential to be great and should definitely be developed further, the device benefits of ICS codes, feels smoother and fast.... you can see that it boots into OS about 7sec faster that CM7.1, altough it has a slower SDHC card (about 20% slower). So ICS could likely be "The One" ROM for S8000, by gaining all functions that CM7.1 already has working. I didn't try to create logcat for Wi-Fi enabling, maybe it would give an answer what to do, it is anyway nearly working....

WHAT IS NOT WORKING (in all JétDroid ROMs):

Last edited:

Carlos_Manuel

Apr 28, 2011
Kuressaare
Nice! :)

But credits goes to Dopi and KB-JetDroid from jetdroid.org / Github. :)
My built ROM is optimized and includes some other stuff like librsjni file for live wallpapers, etc. :)

Hopefully someday Dopi and KB-JetDroid starts working on ICS, because it's fast on Jét.

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX
GT-i9250
Nokia Lumia 820

My built ROM is optimized and includes some other stuff like librsjni file for live wallpapers, etc. :)

Hopefully someday Dopi and KB-JetDroid starts working on ICS, because it's fast on Jét.

Kudos mate :)

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

@Carlos_Manuel
OK, I will update the OP under "credits" altough you definitely deserve them as well: I couldn't even find anywhere GB roms by dopi and KB-JetDroid and some of which I found and downloaded didn't boot :(

Thks for opening this new thread Tetakpatak :)

I think i'm going to dust off my jet again.

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX
GT-i9250
Nokia Lumia 820
My resistive touchscreen just died on me... :( cant play with my jet anymore...

Will remember this one as one of the best cellphones i had... shame that samy did.not used android on it.

Sent from Asus MemoPad FHD ME302C

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Oh, pity..... I'm sorry mate :(
I also really like my S8000. It runs whole day long as radio (app Live365) on Carlos_Manuel's CM7 Android.

Reactions: Exnor

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX
GT-i9250
Nokia Lumia 820
Oh, pity..... I'm sorry mate :(
I also really like my S8000. It runs whole day long as radio (app Live365) on Carlos_Manuel's CM7 Android.

I'm trying to get one 2nd hand on Ebay... but since the touchscreen is resistive i'm kinda reluctant...

I was able to remove the "digitizer" from the phone (not glued to the screen) but replace part are way too expensive for me to just tinker with the Jét...
I really liked my jét even if was just to tinker with... One of the best buys i did.

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Your phone didn't get broken because of flashing a JétDroid I hope?

The back part gets quite warm, reading a SDHC card costs CPU hard work , it seems.

Last edited:

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX
GT-i9250
Nokia Lumia 820
Your phone didn't get broken because of flashing a JétDroid I hope?

The back part gets quite warm, reading a SDHC card costs CPU hard work , it seems.

No of course not.

The digitizer just stop working on most parts of the screen... and its the resistive layer fault because if i press it really hard sometimes it works... its was to expect after all resistive tech like this have a limited number of uses until it "breaks".

2nd hand models are quite cheap on eBay but i wonder if the digitizer is in good condition, since i only need that part to reassemble my good old jét...

samsungwarrior

Aug 21, 2010
Good luck

Out of my own experience, I can report here only of four ROMs that I was able to boot on my S8000. Regrettably, I have missed whole this exciting development project although I own this phone since 2009: I simply never browsed in internet, couldn't even imagine to boot into Android OS with it. If you ask me "is it worth it"? I will say: yes, definitely! One can use Samsung's TW2.0 for calls,and SMS and mobile internet and Android with WLAN. It is matter of taste, I really enjoy to use Android with my Jét, especially my favorite ROM, the CM7.1 by Carlos_Manuel[/COLOR]

This phone is fantastic, I have one that is indistinguishable from brand new hardly used, it's a new replacement for a digitizer problem , I have never stopped hoping this push would come, there are millions of us who still have this phone, I hope what your doing is advertised widely. Pity samsung didn't release the source code they've missed a massive chance to increase their Street cred with the whole tech buying public and change public perception of their support. Might not be allowed, but I bet many would give a small donation for a fully completed modern rom. Best wishes from me and from many.

Reactions: tetakpatak

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
This phone is fantastic, I have one that is indistinguishable from brand new hardly used, it's a new replacement for a digitizer problem , I have never stopped hoping this push would come, there are millions of us who still have this phone, I hope what your doing is advertised widely. Pity samsung didn't release the source code they've missed a massive chance to increase their Street cred with the whole tech buying public and change public perception of their support. Might not be allowed, but I bet many would give a small donation for a fully completed modern rom. Best wishes from me and from many.

I totally agree. The hardware is really good and sturdy, so with the source code, dopi & co would probably easily port ICS similar way like in Badadroid project (with Samsung S8500 and S8530 with Bada OS, last model between S8000 and the revolutional Galaxy S1, i9000) instead of taking the hard road of hardware hacking.

Boot of Android OS from the external SD card slows the phone massively down, as the card slot is a bottleneck.

tetakpatalked from N7100

yohanab

Oct 13, 2017
Disculpa se que el articulo es viejo pero me gustaría saber si después de instalar android en mi jet puedo hacer llamadas usar las conexiones de red ?

Exnor

Jan 9, 2012
LX
GT-i9250
Nokia Lumia 820
Disculpa se que el articulo es viejo pero me gustaría saber si después de instalar android en mi jet puedo hacer llamadas usar las conexiones de red ?

Ola. Mi Castellano es muy limitado. Lo espero que entiendas Inglés.

This project, as far as i know, was abandoned years ago :/ ... as i recall it does not the cell network chipset (i might be wrong here, i was a few years ago) but i think WiFi was ok and working.

The resistive part of my Jet unit died last year and i just trashed the unit so i cant really test it now. Hope the info helps.

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Yes, exactly. Wifi works, not so the mobile network in Android. One needs to reboot to the stock UI to use mobile networks. I still have my S8000 and both android and stock UI are working.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oxydeme

Oxydeme

Feb 4, 2013
i9100
Redmi Note 10S
Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I'm planning on installing it to my hibernative Jét S8000, and was wondering myself if there is a way to extract Sim relative stuffs from Stock Samsung OS and implement it to JétDroid Rom? A question just like this cause, I saw that pretty all of the JétDroid Roms have a problem with Sim, so, is there any way of doing so??
Anyway, thanks for any revelant- or normal- answers,
See ya :)

tetakpatak

Jan 6, 2013
Lucerne
Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but I'm planning on installing it to my hibernative Jét S8000, and was wondering myself if there is a way to extract Sim relative stuffs from Stock Samsung OS and implement it to JétDroid Rom? A question just like this cause, I saw that pretty all of the JétDroid Roms have a problem with Sim, so, is there any way of doing so??
Anyway, thanks for any revelant- or normal- answers,
See ya :)
Well, AMAIK, the development project described in this thread was the only succesful porting of the Android to the S8000, running it from the external memory card.

None of the ROM versions has ever made it to work with the SIM card if the S8000 was booted in Android.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Jét-Droid project

This mind-blowing development project has successfully ported Android to the non-android smartphones by Samsung S8000 and S8003

Dual boot (JetQi bootloader) preserves stock OS on the internal memory and boots into Android from the external micro SD card

Altough JetDroid project was done also for Samsung S8003, I will refer here only to S8000 as I couldn't test any of this with the S8003

NEW DEVELOPERS ARE WELCOME

INDEX:
    This post includes:"JétDroid" project introduction / S8000 hardware info / development info
    Post #2: Install guide for users / download links / attached files
    Post #3: ROM CyanogenMod 7.1 (State-of-the-Art ROM to 2013/2014)
    Post #4: Older ROMs and CyanogenMod 9 experimental

CREDITS:
    All the credits and respect goes to the guys who have grounded, carried and brought to us this project, its developers and contributors:
    • dopi
    • KB-JetDroid
    • Carlos_Manuel
    • aleksey.4erepanov
    • and many others: please post here and I will update the list
    The project home was not on the XDA but here:
    External links (old):
    Guys from JetDroid project are most welcome to join this thread, I'm sure some of them are here on the XDA forum :)

HARDWARE INFO
    SAMSUNG Jét S8000
    "Smarter than smartphone"

With this enormous fanfare worldwide, (with the General Manager for the UK who tought that the Samsung Jet S8000 is better than the Apple iPhone 3GS) Samsung's flagship handset as of 2009, Samsung Jet S8000 was released with this not really modest marketing tag that can be found still nowadays on internet.

Yet, altough released back in 2009, the hardware of the S8000 is even as of beginning 2014 still better than many modern low-end android phones and throughout interesting target for the android porting development:

samsung_gt_s8000_jet.jpg
    samsung-jet-s8000-phone.jpg

Technical information:
    • Manufacturer: Samsung Mobile
    • Availability by country: June 2009
    • Compatible networks: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
    • UMTS (3G): 900/2100 MHz
    • HSDPA: 3.6Mbps
    • Form factor: Touchscreen bar
    • Dimensions: 108.8(H) x 53.5(W) x 11.9 mm(D)
    • Weight: 110 g
    • CPU: 800 MHz processor
    • Display: 3.1" (79mm) 16M color WVGA AMOLED touchscreen, 480 x 800 pixels
    • Platform: Latest TouchWiz 2.0 UI with Motion UI, Media Gate 3D and Smart unlock
    • Data inputs: T9, Abc
    • Memory: 2GB internal / removable storage: microSD up to 16 GB (microSDHC compatible)
    • Rear camera: 5MP (2,592×1,944 pixels) auto-focus, with dual LED flash, geo-tagging, image stabilization, face detection, Smile Shot, Wide Dynamic Range (WDR) and D1 video recording at 30 fps
    • Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, standard microUSB port, GPS receiver with A-GPS, 3.5mm audio jack, TV out
    • Media: MP3, AAC, AAC+, e-AAC+, WMA, AMR, WAV, MP4, MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV, DivX, and XviD
    • Connectivity: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), AGPS, Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, and USB 2.0 (microUSB)
    • Other: Accelerometer for screen auto rotate and turn-to-mute, electronic compass, FM radio with RDS, DNSe and SRS sound effect, Touchscreen, full web browser (Dolfin), and haptic touch feedback
    • Battery: 1100 mAh Li-ion
    • Battery Talk Time: up to 8.2 hours
    • Standby: up to 442 hours

CONS of Samsung's OS:
    • The hardware of this nice looking handset is excellent but crippled by its poor operating system and even poorer support from Samsung
    • No additional widgets / applications to download
    • Official firmware support is non existent
    • The Exchange sync software doesn't work with gmail
    • No text smiley's
    • Can't copy/paste text
    • GPS drains the battery (Wi-Fi also)
    • Java support is poor
    • Motion gate is useless
    • Memo's limited to 100 characters
    • The phone with Samsung's OS is laggy

GET A JETDROID DEVELOPER !!
    DEVELOPMENT INFO: about "JETDROID"
    Target: porting Android OS to non-android devices Samsung Jét GT-S8000 (and GT-S8003)

"JETDROID": HOW DOES IT WORK?
    • Linux-based hardware of Samsung Jét is in general capable of booting into Android OS
    • Boot into Android OS is done here directly from external SD card, not from internal memory
    • JetDroid partition of the external (removable) SD card is formatted with Linux OS to ext2 or ext3
    • JetQi bootloader must be flashed on the S8000, boot into Android is possible with 2-buttons-combo
    • Original Samsung's firmware remains unmodified and the S8000 can also boot normally into stock OS
    JETDROID DEVELOPMENT SOURCES:
    BUILD A ROM - DEVICE REPOSITORY SOURCES:
    DEVELOPMENT STATUS (to early 2014):
    • modification of the JetQi bootloader is possible for succesful porting of the CWM recovery
    • drivers development necessary for enabling SIM card functions (calls, SMS)
    • State-of-the-Art ROM: CyanogenMod 7.1 (build 20130603 by Carlos_Manuel: DOWNLOAD IT HERE)
    JETDROID project / external links:
    Flashing guide

FLASHING GUIDE

DISCLAIMER:
    Code:
    * [i]i am not responsible for any bricked devices, marriage crisis,[/i]
    * [i]sleeples nights, termonuclear wars, electricity blackouts, short[/i]
    * [i]circuits, or for bad weather in your region that will brick your phone.[/i]
    * [i]this thread is for an older device, download links may dissapear by time[/i]
    * [i][b]warning:[/b] bootloader flashing is just always risky proceeding that[/i]
    * [i]could hard-brick any device. Everybody is flashing on his own wish- and risk[/i]

INSTALL CHECKLIST:
    • S8000 must be unlocked (both sim and network) otherwise hard-brick by flashing of the bootloader is possible
    • Samsung mobile usb driver must be installed on your pc and device recognized by the pc
    • Compatible original firmware (list in the guide) must be flashed with multiloader v.5.62 (attached)
    • After that, the JetQi dual-boot bootloader must be flashed with multiloader v.5.62
    • External SDHC card must be inserted in the phone (the faster SDHC card is, the better)
    • Card gets formatted by running Samsung OS with Ubuntu/Linux OS (running Ubuntu in the Virtual box or as "Test Ubuntu" (live CD) is also possible)
    • Unmount TFLASH volume (careful here, as MFLASH is internal partition of the stock fw of your phone!!!!)
    • Better use "Disk Utility" than "Gparted" to format the SDHC card and format first partition as "Master-Boot-Record" (ext2) for JetDroid ROM
    • JetDroid partition size for JetDroid can be between 1550-1950mb, create another partition (rest) as FAT
    • Mount both volumes/partitions (ext and FAT)
    • Extract in Ubuntu downloaded ROM and paste all files on the JetDroid partition
    • In "Terminal" (Ubuntu) set permissions: (sudo chmod -R 777 /media/yournameforjetdroidpartition(withoutspaces)
    • Now "Safely remove parent drive" (phone) and switch off the phone
    • Boot with 2-buttons-combo into Android OS (call&power buttons)

GUIDE:

DOWNLOADS: (all links are still working)
    • download here the files for the old Eclair 2.1 build
    • this JetQi bootloader works on my s8000 (also attached on the bottom of this post)
    • another JetQi bootloader links: jacquesjk-bootloader or this one here (both untested by me)
    • multiloader v.5.62 (flashing software for compatible stock rom) is attached on the bottom of this post

Buttons on the s8000:
    functions of the buttons:
    View attachment 2508844
    (click to enlarge)

download files:
    State-of-the-Art ROM for JETDROID

NOTE: my own reccomendation is to use only the very fastest SDHC cards you can get. Don't even consider anything beyond Class 10, otherwise you will face unstable and laggy performance. Sandisk extreme 80Mbps will work the best.

CyanogenMod 7.1
    by Carlos_Manuel

DOWNLOADS: CyanogenMod 7.1 (build 20130603): DOWNLOAD IT HERE
    (Carlos_Manuel's site)

WHAT IS WORKING:
    • ADB (everything works: push/pull, installing apps, logcat, permissions changing etc)
    • WiFi
    • Root (I did it with the SuperOneclick 2.3.3 root tool by Shortfuse)
    • Touchscreen fully working
    • Bluetooth (send & receive)
    • Play Store / Google account sync
    • Apps (all works: root & no-root)
    • CM7.x features: like multi-languages support etc
    WHAT IS NOT WORKING:
    (as in other JetDroid ROMs):
    • battery status displays always 70% (charging works normally)
    All credits for this ROM to dopi, KB-JetDroid and @Carlos_Manuel

JétDroid: ROMs overview / earliest to latest

JétDroid and me: pros & cons
    At this point, I will just report my own experience with all other ROMs that I was able to try so far on my S8000
    * * * * * * * this comparison is therefore just subjective and by no mean a fair or complete overview * * * * * * * *

Out of my own experience, I can report here only of four ROMs that I was able to boot on my S8000. Regrettably, I have missed whole this exciting development project although I own this phone since 2009: I simply never browsed in internet, couldn't even imagine to boot into Android OS with it. If you ask me "is it worth it"? I will say: yes, definitely! One can use Samsung's TW2.0 for calls, SMS and mobile internet and Android with WLAN. It is matter of taste, I really enjoy to use Android with my Jét, especially my favorite ROM, the CM7.1 by Carlos_Manuel

VIDEO COMPARISON:
    **** TouchWiz **** Eclair (2.1) **** CyanogenMod 9 (4.0.4) **** CyanogenMod 7.1 ****

For watching in 1920x1080 HD, please CLICK HERE to watch it directly on YouTube

JETDROID ROMs - functionality comparison:

Eclair 2.1 (JetPlatform0.2 and 0.3)
    • ADB: NO
    • WiFi: NO
    • Bluetooth: (send & receive) NO
    • Root: NO
    • Touchscreen: YES (fully working)
    • Google (Play Store / account sync etc): NO
    • Apps: YES, at least all of those you can install
    • Android version features: YES (languages, etc)
    • Functionality: unstable, laggy, freezes often, no tone (indication works)
    • Comment: despite just few working functions, developing of this ROM was simply the revolution in person and excellent base for further development. A key-feature (JetQi bootloader) was invented short before this stage. Reportedly, Wi-Fi was working on 0.3 platform, however I wasn't able to turn it on, or I have used wrong files on my SDHC card.

CyanogenMod 6 (Froyo 2.2)
    Unfortunatelly, I wasn't able to boot this ROM. I've tried all tricks but the ROM I found and downloaded simply didn't boot. I am grateful if anybody gives me a hint where to download working one.

CyanogenMod 7.1 (Gingerbread 2.3.7)
    • ADB: YES (everything works: push/pull, installing apps, logcat, permissions changing etc)
    • WiFi: YES (fully working)
    • Bluetooth: YES (fully working: send & receive)
    • Root: YES (I've gained root access it with the SuperOneclick 2.3.3 root tool by Shortfuse, that uses ADB to install Superuser and busybox)
    • Touchscreen: YES fully working
    • Google (Play Store / account sync etc): YES (all working)
    • Apps: YES (all apps work here: no matter if root or no-root ones)
    • Android version features: YES (all working)
    • Functionality: altough slow compared to modern devices, with fastest SDHC cards it is stable and not too laggy, it makes definitely fun to use it. Not so with slower SDHC cards: unstable und laggy, CPU gets warmer then.
    • Comment: overall best ROM that I could try. If some day a Jét-driver for the SIM card get succesfully developed and some recent Linaro codes implemented in the kernel to boost its performance, this ROM would be just perfect for the S8000

CyanogenMod 9 (Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4)
    • ADB: YES... (not fully, installing Apps via ADB works, read comment)
    • WiFi: NO (freezes)
    • Bluetooth: YES (I didn't try data transfer)
    • Root: ALMOST (read comment)
    • Touchscreen: ALMOST (cursor circle works, also click, but not "hold" click, therefore difficult scrolling)
    • Google (Play Store / account sync etc): NO (no Wi-Fi, no SIM card, so no connectivity)
    • Apps: YES
    • Android version features: YES (multi-languages, time zones, correct time displaying)
    • Functionality: early development stage, tough obviously great potential for the S8000 in ICS, hopefully it will be developed further
    • Comment: with this ROM as-is, ADB was working, but it wasn't able to install apps. After just a simple experiment of copy&paste of few files from the CM7.1 ROM (cat, getprop, sh) I was already able to install the Apps and nearly gained root access. Some basic files are missing in this ROM that is bit left alone in its early stage of development (ADB reports: rm not found so it can not delete the files). This ROM has potential to be great and should definitely be developed further, the device benefits of ICS codes, feels smoother and fast.... you can see that it boots into OS about 7sec faster that CM7.1, altough it has a slower SDHC card (about 20% slower). So ICS could likely be "The One" ROM for S8000, by gaining all functions that CM7.1 already has working. I didn't try to create logcat for Wi-Fi enabling, maybe it would give an answer what to do, it is anyway nearly working....

WHAT IS NOT WORKING (in all JétDroid ROMs):