Sprint LG G2, no tethering option, bought from best buy.

Search This thread

Downspire

Jan 11, 2014
Hi. I bought my phone through best buy and noticed I don't any of the sprint apps. Ive been trying to get the native hotspot to work but the option to turn it on isnt in the menu.

I'm rooted and tried the iceroom and stock versions of native hotspot. Also I've contacted another user who had the same issue, no hotspot option, also purchased via best buy.. Which is kinda odd. Does anyone else have this issue or know of a way of fixing it?

digitalsynner85

Sep 15, 2011
New Iberia, Louisiana
ya know, the same thing happened w/ me.......bought the phone from best buy and was looking for a hotspot feature and lo-and-behold, theres none to be found, even enabled dev settings and didn't pop up. I'm kinda dumbfounded and i really like the stock OS coming from the galaxy s4 and was hoping there was a hidden setting for it or if theres a rom that enables it because i'd be all over that lol

Downspire

Jan 11, 2014
anonis james

Extremely odd that it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else either. I cant even use any of the other tethering apps (wifi tether, barnacle, etc etc), I recieve ad-hoc errors, which I'm assuming is the issue with the native hotspot not appearing in the menu.

Still looking for a way to fix this if anyone knows how, would greatly appreciate it.

geosnipe

Mar 7, 2011
RVA
Extremely odd that it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else either. I cant even use any of the other tethering apps (wifi tether, barnacle, etc etc), I recieve ad-hoc errors, which I'm assuming is the issue with the native hotspot not appearing in the menu.

Still looking for a way to fix this if anyone knows how, would greatly appreciate it.

If you root and DL wireless tether you can't? Its a carrier option not an retailer option- makes no sense. Just trying to understand.. Contacting a friend now..

Last edited:

Downspire

Jan 11, 2014
If you root and DL wireless tether you can't? Its a carrier option not an retailer option- makes no sense. Just trying to understand.. Contacting a friend now..

No. The phone is rooted and Ive tried the wireless tether app, pdanet, barnacle. Every wireless app shows an ad-hoc error in the log while pdanet gives me a htc sync error 2.

Thing is theres no hotspot option in the menu. Im sure its like that for everyone who bought the phone from best buy.

geosnipe

Mar 7, 2011
RVA
No. The phone is rooted and Ive tried the wireless tether app, pdanet, barnacle. Every wireless app shows an ad-hoc error in the log while pdanet gives me a htc sync error 2.

Thing is theres no hotspot option in the menu. Im sure its like that for everyone who bought the phone from best buy.

My question is: Why would a carrier do that? That is an upsell that they want to extend to every smartphone purchase, it's lost revenue. That is why I'm perplexed and have placed a call to my friend (MGR for VZW).

digitalsynner85

Sep 15, 2011
New Iberia, Louisiana
So I'm lying? Lol.....stock v8 Rom, purchased from BB

Sent from my LG-LS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1389663483607.jpg
    1389663483607.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 114

bigpappa

Jan 24, 2011
Buffalo
Apparently this issue is caused by not fully finishing the activation process for Sprint. Sprint base apps install after activation... my sneaking suspicion is they are installed via the "Sprint ID" app but Im not sure. Either try doing the activation again, or more likely to work is to do a full factory reset and make sure you do not interrupt the process all the way thru activation.

You will then have your tethering options back. Its likely the reps at bestbuy are bypassing that part of the activation process by interrupting it so they can finish your sale and get you outta there faster. Might also be unintentional on their part but who knows.

Do a factory reset.

Reactions: whodey1814

whodey1814

Jan 13, 2014
West Chester
noob question... will factory reset remove root and twrp? i have both, stock rom. i already backed up via twrp. however, will i need to install everything again afterwards?

justinswidebody

Jun 20, 2010
You need to do a factory reset, no It will not loose root or twrp. As soon as you the phone boots back up, update prl and profile. Make sure you are in a good data location or are hooked up on WiFi. After updating both of these your phone should install all the Sprint apps and you will have tether option in settings

Reactions: whodey1814

whodey1814

Jan 13, 2014
West Chester
Apparently this issue is caused by not fully finishing the activation process for Sprint. Sprint base apps install after activation... my sneaking suspicion is they are installed via the "Sprint ID" app but Im not sure. Either try doing the activation again, or more likely to work is to do a full factory reset and make sure you do not interrupt the process all the way thru activation.

You will then have your tethering options back. Its likely the reps at bestbuy are bypassing that part of the activation process by interrupting it so they can finish your sale and get you outta there faster. Might also be unintentional on their part but who knows.

Do a factory reset.

As bigpappa pointed out... it's not necessarily a best buy thing. It's the fact the rep probably didn't finish the activation process when setting your phone up in store. It could have been any store... it's just coincidence that the people with the problem happen to have bought from best buy.

digitalsynner85

Sep 15, 2011
New Iberia, Louisiana
lol i don't doubt that but i just had to give him hell because he was essentially trying to call us out who didn't have the tethering option and "debunk" it when it was just a simple statement that it wasn't there and was curious as to why, ive never really seen that happen before w/ an incomplete activation but its not like it really matters because theres tethering mods n **** out there that enable it anyway so just had to give him a little bit of hell haha

whodey1814

Jan 13, 2014
West Chester
so... i factory reset my phone and it never went thru the activation process again. when i tried to activate device in settings, it said it was already activated. i quit and just installed the cm nightlies and now have wifi tether but im curious as what the fix could be.

bigpappa

Jan 24, 2011
Buffalo
After activation the Sprint Zone app runs and installs all the sprint bloatware and base apps. If you didnt have sprint zone load and start installing those apps, or quit that process manually then you didnt finish full activation. If Sprint Zone failed to load after the factory reset I dont know what to tell you other than to do it again.

whodey1814

Jan 13, 2014
West Chester
After activation the Sprint Zone app runs and installs all the sprint bloatware and base apps. If you didnt have sprint zone load and start installing those apps, or quit that process manually then you didnt finish full activation. If Sprint Zone failed to load after the factory reset I dont know what to tell you other than to do it again.

i think that's part of the problem... there was so Sprint Zone app at all. i looked into downloading it but couldnt find anything.

bigpappa

Jan 24, 2011
Buffalo
i think that's part of the problem... there was so Sprint Zone app at all. i looked into downloading it but couldnt find anything.

Sorry, I muffed on the app name.... I meant "Sprint ID" app, not Sprint Zone.

Edit: check /system/app/ folder for sprintzone.apk, sprintid.apk, and sprintinstaller.apk. They may be there.

Last edited:

whodey1814

Jan 13, 2014
West Chester
Sorry, I muffed on the app name.... I meant "Sprint ID" app, not Sprint Zone.

Edit: check /system/app/ folder for sprintzone.apk, sprintid.apk, and sprintinstaller.apk. They may be there.

Neither were there when I went through my apps before... However, I already installed CM or I'd look. maybe someone else with the problem can take a look and test it out? Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with CM for the time being and takes me forever to switch as I'm still learning.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Do a factory reset.
    You need to do a factory reset, no It will not loose root or twrp. As soon as you the phone boots back up, update prl and profile. Make sure you are in a good data location or are hooked up on WiFi. After updating both of these your phone should install all the Sprint apps and you will have tether option in settings

So I'm lying? Lol.....stock v8 Rom, purchased from BB

By the way, I bought from BB as well and I have USB and Wifi Hotspot options, in case you wanted to know.