[Kernel][Beta][29-JAN-2014] Triangulum kernel.

Search This thread

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009

triangulum-600x150.png

Triangulum kernel is a custom kernel series specifically for the galaxy gear.

This is the first fully custom kernel for the Galaxy Gear. This is not a complete ROM, This is just a replacement kernel.

Features:
  • Restored Exynos 4212 frequency table - Full 1.6GHz clock available.
  • Dual core enabled
  • init.d support
  • autoroot including superuser
  • MTP as default.

2enabled.png
uname.png

2coreantutu.png
voltagecontrol.png

Known Issues:
  • Second core isn't enabled on first boot after flashing.

Download links are in the second post.

Installation Instructions:

Heimdall:

1. Boot device in download mode.
  2. Click browse to open package.
    Heimdall-Select.png
  3. Open triangulum-1.0-heimdall.tar.gz with Heimdall
    Heimdall-File-Open.png
  4. Start flash.
    Heimdall-Flash.png

Odin:

1. Boot device in download mode.
  2. Make sure that only Auto Reboot is checked, and select file in AP
    odin-device-connected.png
  3. Open triangulum-1.0-odin.tar.md5
    odin-select-file.png
  4. Start flash.
    odin-flash.png
  5. Done.
    odin-done.png

Recovery:

Note: This requires running _null TWRP
  1. Copy triangulum-1.0.zip to device
  2. Reboot to recovery
  3. Select zip from file picker
  4. Install

Signature banner for those who like showing what they are running on their devices:
Code:
[PLAIN]
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2610071"][img]http://files.lilstevie.geek.nz/assets/triangulum/images/triangulum-600x150.png[/img][/URL][/PLAIN]

Root powered by SuperSU - Logo created with Universe Sandbox

Last edited:

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
F.A.Q:

1. Will this kernel drain my battery faster?

It depends on usage. In most cases you will however see a faster battery drain unless you change the frequency settings using an application such as SetCPU or Voltage Control.

2. Where did the name Triangulum come from?

The name Triangulum comes from the name of a galaxy within our local group. You can read more about it here.

3. What settings do you recommend in <insert cpu control app here>?

It really depends on what you find works best for you, it is a balance between battery life, responsiveness and how much heat it is going to produce on your wrist. Personally I have set the device to use the powersave governor which is more conservative on when it steps up the frequencies, but also bumped up the minimum frequency to 400MHz as to aid in response times, but have full clock at 1.60GHz.

4. Before installing I had adb enabled, why isn't it now?

I don't believe in enabling adb by default, for the same reason I will not run the kernel in insecure mode. As part of the process to enable MTP the system forgets if you have enabled adb.

Last edited:

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
Changelog:

1.0.1:
  • Fixed no sound bug
  • Fixed no video recording bug

1.0:
  • Reworked init.d support
  • MTP enabled on boot
  • Moved out of beta

0.2:
  • Unlocked second core
  • Added init.d support
  • Autoinstall root if not present
  • Switched to LZMA for kernel and ramdisk

0.1:
  • Initial Release

Last edited:

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
init.d support is definitely possible, as is MTP. SWAP I'm a little more hesitant about, I'm not fond of swap on mmc devices due to wear cycles, but also the limited available memory (4GB) means it would be a sacrifice.

I agree with swap although it would be nice to experiment with.

MTP on the other hand tho I think would be a excellent idea pre-enabled.. Make life easier for more novice users who are not very confident with adb.

Reactions: jimyv

kashortiexda

Jan 12, 2011
heimdall

first - thanks for the work, exciting stuff.....can't wait to see where this goes...
If we can get uv/oc and some ram advantages, it'll be great.
I was chatting to f0mey about swap...I see you're not a fan of swap.

sorry for OT, but relevant (i guess in a remote kinda way )....for the life of me I just cant get Heimdall to flash this, keeps giving me a libusb error-12.

I have used Heimdall before often, but it just doesn't want to recognise the device. (Windows7 x86)
I tried reloading zadig (drivers), reinstalled C++ framework etc but no gravy
When I try to reload the Heimdall driver files, it says drivers already installed

I guess I'll wait for the Odin or TWRP flashable kernel, unless you have it available as a Boot.img ?

Last edited:

lilstevie

Apr 17, 2009
first - thanks for the work, exciting stuff.....can't wait to see where this goes...

sorry for OT, but relevant (i guess in a remote kinda way )....for the life of me I just cant get Heimdall to flash this, keeps giving me a libusb error-12.

I have used Heimdall before often, but it just doesn't want to recognise the device. (Windows7 x86)
When I try to reload the Heimdall driver files, it says drivers already installed

I guess I'll wait for the Odin or TWRP flashable kernel, unless you have it available as a Boot.img ?

Sorry I cannot help for most of the Heimdall stuff. I use linux on my workstation which Heimdall just works with :)

I can however help with just the boot.img :) here you can find it in kernel boot.img format. Also the heimdall package is just a tar.gz which can be opened with winrar et al. :)

How high is the stock clock on the cpu on the gear? Great with a new kernel for the gear! :D thank you!

On the stock kernel it is 800MHz

Reactions: kashortiexda

kashortiexda

Jan 12, 2011
I was contemplating making a cwm/twrp flashable zip with boot img but am not sure what mmcblk partition for the script

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Tonio1987french

Oct 2, 2012

Same for me, windows 8 x64 :(

Tonio1987french

Oct 2, 2012
Rename triangulum.img to boot.img
Copy to null_ 19.zip
And flash null_ 19.zip (no wipe if already installed)

Kernel work very well thank you :good:

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
Please a Tarball Im on stock and I wanna flash this baby aswell

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts