[FIX] Note 3 GPS Issues

Search This thread

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
If this helps you I would appreciate it if you hit the "Thanks" button on this post.

I can finally 100% confirm that the GPS signal lost issues we have is software related.

The best workaround I have found for this is to:

Root your phone using Kingo or whatever root method you prefer
install KNOXRAID

@drakeymcmb made this ROM, so you know it's going to work.

***WARNING TO ALL USERS***
This thread is not a "Best ROM" thread and will NOT be treated like one! Possibly any ROM that's "rigged" will fix the GPS issues, but this is currently the only one I have found that works right every time.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

UPDATE: I wanted to add that if you have a AT&T ROM installed (may work on other ROMs, but definitely ask drakeymcmb before trying anything with a different ROM), Drakeymcmb has a fix here I'm quoting.

I already posted a fix for this issue a few days ago. Here is some feedback that I got. And here is the dl link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?j9tq965psemg9nv

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbfox View Post
I would like to appreciate drakeymcmb for the fix.

I have two AT&T Galaxy Note 3 and I had exact same problems on both Note 3. (GPS was turned off when power was plugged in or out and the connection switched between 4G and 4G LTE)

First, I did factory reset to my one of Note 3 and installed only GPS Test APP on the stock with rooted to test GPS. It seemed to work well when power is plugged in or out and then I installed Apps that I need and checked if GPS worked well whenever an App was installed. It looked like the factory reset fixed the problems but the problem happened again after about 12 hours. (I did this last night and GPS worked well before I went to bed but this morning, it happened again)

Frankly, I hesitated to apply this fix because I did not have enough information and did not know how to apply this fix but I thought it was worth trying this fix.

Here is how I applied this fix. (I think this is not the best way but this is what I can do with confidence. Please be careful and do this with your own risk)

1. Backup the following files
/system/lib/hw/gps.default.so
/system/lib/hw/gps.goldfish.so
/system/lib/libloc_adapter.so
/system/lib/libloc_api_v02.so
/system/lib/libloc_eng.so
/system/etc/gps.conf

2. Unzip Gpsfix.zip
3. Copy the files in the zip to the corresponding location.
4. Change the permission of the files to rw-r--r--
5. Make sure if the owner of the files is root
6, Reboot

After that, I tested GPS with my two Note 3 (one has the fix and the other does not).
The one with the fix works great when power is plugged in or out or the connection is switched between 4G and 4G LTE while the other one has still same problem. (after several testing, I applied the fix to the other Note 3 so my two Note 3 are working well now)

So far so good. I will update if I have any changes.

Drakeymcmb
Thank you very much. You are the best.
Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

pham818

Dec 4, 2011
Portland
I can finally 100% confirm that the GPS signal lost issues we have is software related.

The only workaround I have found for this is to

root your phone
install safestrap
install X Note

from the Android Development section. It's a ported international ROM which means it has all the GPS files from the International version.

This thread is not a "Best ROM" thread and will NOT be treated like one! Possibly any ROM that's ported will fix the GPS issues, but this is currently the only one I have found that works. If you find another ROM that works please post here!

good ****. got lost a few times because of the gps.

Reactions: ALPHA85

MonkeyThumper

Feb 27, 2012
I will 2nd this "fix"...

I actually rooted/SS/ROMed my phone a few days ago because I saw that it did possibly fix the GPS problem.

I was having the issue where GPS would disconnect when changing cell towers, or if I plugged/unplugged the power from the phone. I could reproduce it very easily.

So, I installed X-Note, and did some testing yesterday, and did not have a single GPS drop in over two hours of testing. I was also able to plug/unplug the power without losing GPS signal. On the way back to work this morning, I switched back to my stock ROM slot in SS, and the issue was back.

I do NOT know if the issue is fixed with any other ROMs. I have only tried X-Note at this point.

Would be great to know what is actually causing the issue with the stock software. Samsung still plays dumb about the problem, acting like they have never heard about it from anyone. I was very close to getting a replacement from AT&T under warranty, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. May still do that if I get the urge/time to put everything back to stock. I just don't want to end up getting a "refurb" from them. I've gotten one on a past phone, and it was a piece of crap that had more problems than the one I turned in. I'm not sure how much testing they actually do on a refurb phone before thinking it is ok to give out to someone else.

wiser212

Jun 25, 2007
I exchanged my phone 4 times with AT&T before I accepted a replacement. I complained each time about their lack of testing. The 4th one they sent was brand new. If you get a chappy phone, keep requesting replacements.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: butchieboy

MonkeyThumper

Feb 27, 2012
I exchanged my phone 4 times with AT&T before I accepted a replacement. I complained each time about their lack of testing. The 4th one they sent was brand new. If you get a chappy phone, keep requesting replacements.

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Your use of "chappy" reminded me of this:

296.jpg

Reactions: mdentley

gold3ndrag0n

Sep 2, 2010
I too can confirm it's some sort of a software/app conflict problem. This is what I posted on AT&T's forum:

Like you guys I have been doing the same thing. After wipe it seems to work fine, and I do suspect it's a software issue. I was actually in the process of writing an update here last night, as I was writing I decided to check it one more time to be absolutely sure I'd gotten rid of the problem when it happened again.

At the time I suspected the Flipboard widget that's preinstalled on our homescreen as that was the last app I started up before it happened. So then I wiped my phone a second time last night to test out Flipboard, but to my dismay the GPS continued to work perfectly even after I had signed in to the widget. Then I suspected GSam as that was the app I set up prior to Flipboard. So I left GSam uninstalled since the wipe last night, everything was still working until a few hours ago. I was going to drop by here and give an update when I thought, okay one last test... then boom we're back to square one.

It has to be some sort of software issue as all 3 of us have noticed, a factory wipe without installing apps/backup restore works but after we install our apps and use it for a day or so it bugs out again. But I can't think of what might be causing it, what app could affect the GPS chip like that? Plugging/unplugging normally has NOTHING to do with the GPS, so why is it causing it to shutdown. And the 4G LE to 4G switch too, it's on a separate radio, so how does it affect GPS? This is beyond annoying but at least we've been able to confirm with a 80-90% probability that it's not a hardware problem.

To add to that, once the problem has been triggered, even if you boot into Safe Mode it still exists. So it might even be something in the firmware itself. The only way to get rid of it is a factory reset or flash a different ROM like others have done here. Sometimes I do really HATE AT&T. Seems their ROMs are the buggiest and most untested out of the 4 major carriers and on top of that they lock our bootloader too.

Link to the thread on AT&T forum:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Di...g-Galaxy-Note-3-GPS-Issue/td-p/3824953/page/2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

dakleenupman

Nov 30, 2008
Chicago
If it's software related, how do those who exchange their phones get it corrected? My assumption is they set their replacement phone up the same way they had it prior to having the GPS issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

gold3ndrag0n

Sep 2, 2010
If it's software related, how do those who exchange their phones get it corrected? My assumption is they set their replacement phone up the same way they had it prior to having the GPS issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Being that it's software, we don't know what the trigger is. It could be any combination of things. For instance, it could need things to be done in a certain way to set it off, like say setting up the My Magazine then hitting My Story then going into Flipboard. And if it's not done in that order it won't set it off. When you reset your phone and set it back up, do you always do it in the exact same order each time? This app first then that app? This setting first then that? No, it's always in a different order.

Deduction tells us that it's software. Can't be hardware if it works right? Hardware either passes or fails, there isn't an in between. So if all of us that do a factory reset and it works until we start personalizing it, then obviously the hardware works right? And those guys that posted above about going to X-Note ROM and their GPS works correctly shows that it's not hardware right? Hardware can't choose to work with certain software and be faulty with others, that's the software's doing. The guys above aren't the only ones to have it work perfectly on X-Note either, a few others on other Note 3 GPS threads and a few on the AT&T forums have said the exact same thing, going to X-Note solves their problem.

One last thing to consider, GPS and wireless radios on our phones are different, AT&T may not have been able to test each model extensively on their ROM and Samsung may have. Take off your back cover and look at the top right corner, judging from the Note 2 that should be your GPS chip, see that number? That identifies the model of your chip, I've seen people say they have 1-4 or 1-3 or 4-4 or 2-2 and so on. Each batch with the different chips Samsung could have tested extensively to ensure their ROM works with all those chips. AT&T probably does not as they probably don't pay attention to those components because they're not the manufacturer.

Everything in this world is based on deductive reasoning, you use it whether you're a car mechanic or refrigerator repairman or computer technician or help desk or even doctors. What do you think House does? That's what most doctors do, they make an educated guess based on symptoms and if they're wrong, they've eliminated one possibility and gone on to the next until they find a cure. Deductive reasoning at work, and so is this thread.

xfaega

Jan 8, 2007
This is my thought after reading about simular problems with other brand Android phones and also some iphones. There's a technology used by some but not all phones called aGPS. What this is a gps that relies on cell tower assistance for better gps tracking. From all the simular complaints this theory is a match. Another reason I come to this conclusion is that the gps - cell - wifi - and Bluetooth are all independent components. But if you put your phone in airplane mode and try to use the gps it won't be able to lock onto your location. But other Android phones are able to do this in airplane mode. Then I tested the theory and when I enable the wifi the gps locked dead on my location. Then I turned off airplane mode and let the cell sign connect and I hit locate and it did the same thing as wifi. So some how the gps is linked to aGPS.

Last edited:

gold3ndrag0n

Sep 2, 2010
This is my thought after reading about simular problems with other brand Android phones and also some iphones. There's a technology used by some but not all phones called aGPS. What this is a gps that relies on cell tower assistance for better gps tracking. From all the simular complaints this theory is a match. Another reason I come to this conclusion is that the gps - cell - wifi - and Bluetooth are all independent components. But if you put your phone in airplane mode and try to use the gps it won't be able to lock onto your location. But other Android phones are able to do this in airplane mode. Then I tested the theory and when I enable the wifi the gps locked dead on my location. Then I turned off airplane mode and let the cell sign connect and I hit locate and it did the same thing as wifi. So some how the gps is linked to aGPS.

This has NOTHING to do with A-GPS, this thread is not about the GPS taking a long time to fix, please don't convolute it. A-GPS has to do with TTFF, it doesn't switch off a GPS chip. I suggest you do a lot more reading on A-GPS and understand what it is. And read what this thread is about, or GPS chips pretty much TURN OFF when we plug/unplug the charger when we ALREADY HAVE A LOCK. And the it does the same thing when switching network from 4G LTE to 4G.

I don't know what you're talking about with your "tests" because first of all they have nothing to do with our problem discussed in this thread and second you seem confused. Let me clarify for you.

Firstly, we don't have a problem with fix or how long it takes to fix or if it even fixes at all. We all get SOLID fix, our GPS loses signal at the plug/unplug of a charger and at the change in network i.e. going from 4G LTE to 4G. Do you see why your "tests" have nothing to do with us? You see why you're confused?

Secondly, you must be confusing not getting a fix with not loading a map. Without mobile data or WiFi your favorite navigation program will be unable to LOAD A MAP, not unable to obtain a GPS fix. And without mobile data and WiFi (here's where the A-GPS part comes in) your phone is not getting A-GPS data which gives you a slower TTFF. But if you wait long enough it will eventually get a fix. Use a GPS test app so that way there's no map to be loaded and just wait in airplane mode, you'll get a fix in less than 30 seconds.

Are things clearer now? Let's not convolute this thread for people coming here seeking answers to their problematic GPS OK?

Reactions: Agent

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
The problem is the GPS radio turns off and stays off when switching from LTE to 4G and vise versa. Doesn't really have anything to do with getting a fix on a satellite.

A bit testy are we goldendragon? Lol

Came back to edit this to say I'm still laughing 5 minutes later lol

Last edited:
Reactions: gold3ndrag0n

xfaega

Jan 8, 2007
Ok fine. Since you asked nicely. First, have you even read what I wrote in my first comment to you? Did you do what I said? The part about testing with a GPS test app so there's no map to load? You can even use Google Maps, it just won't show you the map but it'll get a GPS fix.

The map is only stored in the cache if it's loaded that area before. The entire map of the US is not going to be stored in your cache, not even an entire zip code. So there's no cache if it's never loaded that part of the map before. BUT as long as you've got a blue dot with a pointing arrow then that's your GPS fix.

Had you read or done what I said, you'd find that your Note 3 works fine without A-GPS and it does not need an Internet connection. Put your phone in airplane mode then open up Google Maps and leave it open and just wait. After a while you'll get a fix, better yet download GPS Test and open it in airplane mode. Can't be any easier than that.

I read what you posted. When I do the test with airplane mode on I get nothing even waiting after a minute or so. That's why I was under the impression the note 3 gps is a A-GPS. Heres a screen shot I took.

There's no blue dot nor arrow. But if I turn on wifi it instantly locates my location.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390031280787.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390031280787.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,168

gold3ndrag0n

Sep 2, 2010
I read what you posted. When I do the test with airplane mode on I get nothing even waiting after a minute or so. That's why I was under the impression the note 3 gps is a A-GPS. Heres a screen shot I took.

There's no blue dot nor arrow. But if I turn on wifi it instantly locates my location.

Ok it's not that a phone is A-GPS or not, it's does it use it in conjuncture with GPS. Assisted GPS just means that instead of letting the GPS chip do all the work, your location data is sent to your phone over mobile data or WiFi to Assist the GPS in figuring out where you are. So without the information sent over your GPS will still work but just slower in getting a fix. That's why I linked you that article. And that's why I said you were confused in the first place, I wasn't being mean then, at least not yet anyways.

Wait longer or like I said download GPS Test and see what's going on with your GPS chip. Download it then put your phone in airplane mode then run that app. Wait and see what it says. I don't know how long is the average but my phone gets a fix in airplane mode in less than 30 seconds, but if yours doesn't get it that quickly then just wait longer. But using the GPS Test app you'll actually see the satellites and how strong the signals are, it'll let you know if your GPS is actually trying to get a fix or not. Try it with the app and see what happens.

Reactions: Jmac823200

xfaega

Jan 8, 2007
Ok it's not that a phone is A-GPS or not, it's does it use it in conjuncture with GPS. Assisted GPS just means that instead of letting the GPS chip do all the work, your location data is sent to your phone over mobile data or WiFi to Assist the GPS in figuring out where you are. So without the information sent over your GPS will still work but just slower in getting a fix. That's why I linked you that article. And that's why I said you were confused in the first place, I wasn't being mean then, at least not yet anyways.

Wait longer or like I said download GPS Test and see what's going on with your GPS chip. Download it then put your phone in airplane mode then run that app. Wait and see what it says. I don't know how long is the average but my phone gets a fix in airplane mode in less than 30 seconds, but if yours doesn't get it that quickly then just wait longer. But using the GPS Test app you'll actually see the satellites and how strong the signals are, it'll let you know if your GPS is actually trying to get a fix or not. Try it with the app and see what happens.

I tried the app my signal is only 22. This is where I get confused my note 2 was able to use gps in airplane mode and without cell service. It was accurate. But for what odd reason I can't even get a location lock in airplane mode on the note 3. I know it's been said it's a software issue so has any tested the gps in airplane mode to see if it is actually working?

gold3ndrag0n

Sep 2, 2010
I tried the app my signal is only 22. This is where I get confused my note 2 was able to use gps in airplane mode and without cell service. It was accurate. But for what odd reason I can't even get a location lock in airplane mode on the note 3. I know it's been said it's a software issue so has any tested the gps in airplane mode to see if it is actually working?

22 what? Take a screenshot. I have and it works perfectly fine in airplane mode.

Taunya

Jan 17, 2014

The only workaround I have found for this is to

root your phone
install safestrap
install X Note

from the Android Development section. It's a ported international ROM which means it has all the GPS files from the International version.

:good:

tenbender

Sep 19, 2011
I was on the phone with tech support and we went through the entire thing. I did a total restart of the phone and reinstalled all the apps. So far so good. Worked fine on a couple of errands today. I did not reinstall any app that deals with downloading AGPS however and my phone still locks pretty quick. Will follow up in a few days. BTW version of phone as far as I can make out is 1-1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If this helps you I would appreciate it if you hit the "Thanks" button on this post.

The best workaround I have found for this is to:

Root your phone using Kingo or whatever root method you prefer
    install KNOXRAID

@drakeymcmb made this ROM, so you know it's going to work.

This thread is not a "Best ROM" thread and will NOT be treated like one! Possibly any ROM that's "rigged" will fix the GPS issues, but this is currently the only one I have found that works right every time.

UPDATE: I wanted to add that if you have a AT&T ROM installed (may work on other ROMs, but definitely ask drakeymcmb before trying anything with a different ROM), Drakeymcmb has a fix here I'm quoting.

I already posted a fix for this issue a few days ago. Here is some feedback that I got. And here is the dl link.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superbfox View Post

I have two AT&T Galaxy Note 3 and I had exact same problems on both Note 3. (GPS was turned off when power was plugged in or out and the connection switched between 4G and 4G LTE)

First, I did factory reset to my one of Note 3 and installed only GPS Test APP on the stock with rooted to test GPS. It seemed to work well when power is plugged in or out and then I installed Apps that I need and checked if GPS worked well whenever an App was installed. It looked like the factory reset fixed the problems but the problem happened again after about 12 hours. (I did this last night and GPS worked well before I went to bed but this morning, it happened again)

Frankly, I hesitated to apply this fix because I did not have enough information and did not know how to apply this fix but I thought it was worth trying this fix.

Here is how I applied this fix. (I think this is not the best way but this is what I can do with confidence. Please be careful and do this with your own risk)

/system/etc/gps.conf

2. Unzip Gpsfix.zip
    6, Reboot

After that, I tested GPS with my two Note 3 (one has the fix and the other does not).
    The one with the fix works great when power is plugged in or out or the connection is switched between 4G and 4G LTE while the other one has still same problem. (after several testing, I applied the fix to the other Note 3 so my two Note 3 are working well now)

Drakeymcmb

/system/etc/gps.conf

2. Unzip Gpsfix.zip
    6, Reboot

Drakeymcmb

Ok hold up let me do it for you.

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 AM ----------

Here you go. Just flash in safestrap

been using the fix that drakeymcmb shared and can confirm it works.

thanks drakeymcmb!
    i must say the gps fix zip file really works. i am a truck driver and i was having serious gps issues with the note 3 and thanks to the gps fix i no longer expereience gps probems. now i have to unroot my phone because i just got the kk update!!!