changing HDMI output resolution

Search This thread

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
Ok so I have this TV that supports FHD resolution up to 1080p@24Hz. It runs smooth on 1080i it's probably at 60Hz and also runs smooth at lower resolutions like 720p. the problem is I can't set the resolution to run on. I just connect the cable and it automatically runs on 1080p.
at first I thought it might be something wrong with the 11pin cable I bought but then I tested it on another TV and it automatically entered 720p mode... which is interesting because as far as I know that TV is also a FHD TV. the thing is... it ran pretty smooth at that resolution and I would be happy if I could set the Note 3 to run on a custom resolution on my TV like 1080i or at least 720p.
any way I could do that?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
Its up to the TV if it has resolution setting. If not, Take a look at "Resolution Changer Pro"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nexter.miniscaler

Not only is that a paid app but also requires root.
any free workaround that doesn't require root?
I called Samsung service a couple of minutes ago and they said the phone automatically connects to a certain resolution (yeah tell me something new). the point is this: it actually connects to various resolutions depending on the TV. for example on my tv it connects to 1080p@24Hz but on another tv it conmects to 720p@60Hz (which btw is way smoother). on my TV even the Note1 knows how to connect to 1080i@60Hz instead of 1080p@24Hz (which is laggy). I wonder what makes the Note3 connect to certain resolution: is it the TV's software or is it the Note3's software...?

tamahos

Apr 4, 2011
-

i connect my note 3 to tv and its automatic connect at 1080p/30hz but my tv can support 60hz can i change it somehow?

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
why didn't samsung allow us to choose among all the possible resolutions it can connect to successfully (obviously the phone can detect that)? what do they think, are we that stupid not to make the right choice for us when it comes to resolution?
actually what they're doing, they try to push their TVs on our through. when I called service they asked if my TV was a Samsung TV almost like if they weren't willing to offer support unless my TV was Samsung.

Jack Barrett

Jul 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Sounds familiar. I also contacted them to fix their crappy HDMI settings in firmware as Im not getting more than 720p on 1080p HDTV. They said they will let know their devs and hopefully soon be resolved. Seems like nobody speaks about HDMI but many people have issues

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
well.. at least it runs smooth on your TV. If only it ran at 720p@60Hz on my TV it would be ok for me. The ideal solution for my TV would be 1080i and it's interesting that both my ex-Note 1 and 2 run at that resolution..

Jack Barrett

Jul 13, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
ok my mistake. today got the genuine hdmi mhl adapter from samsung and all is great 1080p/60. check my thread. the guy explained well about my problem. you will need mhl1 (I posted link where I bought it). it works on 720/60 and 1080i only

Last edited:

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
c'mon man are you kidding me? I have 2 MHL1s!! none of which works with Note 3. how else do you think I tested Note 1? MHL1 only has 5 pin and is for Note 1. MHL2 has 11 pin and is for Note 2 and 3.

ok... ok... so what do you have to do in order that Note 3 works with MHL1?

edit: just tried again with both MHL1 cables. they do absolutely nothing on Note 3. they only work with Note 1. they don't work with Note 2 also. Note 2 also requires 11 pin cable not 5 pin. Note 2 and Note 3 work with THE SAME MHL 2 cable. the difference is that Note 2 automatically connects at 1080i@60Hz while Note 3 automatically connects at 1080p@24Hz. and there one more weird thing. Note 2 doesn't work unless a charger is also plugged in MHL2 while Note 3 works without the charger. for some reason even if I connect the charger it still doesn't charge the Note 3 while if I connect the charger directly to the Note 3 it charges it. It's a little bit weird. how come Note 2 gets charged through MHL2 and Note 3 doesn't? how come Note 2 connects automatically at 1080i@60Hz while Note 3 connects at 1080p@24Hz...

Last edited:

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
not sure what you're talking about. Note 3 works with MHL2 not 1. it won't connect on MHL1 which is 5 pin

edit: see the edited post above

Last edited:

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
Thats why I suggested If you want to read my thread. MHL2 is not necessary 11 pin. Also its very possible that they disabled 1080i on Note 3

please provide a link to your thread. I don't know what thread you're talking about. plus I tried both my mhl1's (I bought two by mistake) and... they don't work with my Note3. they don't even charge the Note3. plus I had a problem recently after I tried mhl1 and didn't work switched to mhl2 and the tv wouldn't connect to Note3 even by mhl2. it would flicker something from time to time but wouldn't start. restarted my note3 and the problem was still there. eventually I turned off the tv and turn it on again and it would be back to 'normal'... 1080p@24Hz... so I taught maybe I should try again doing this with mhl1 and tried again mhl1 restarted my phone and tv a couple of times and with no effect. provide me a link to the thread you're talking about

detroit123

Apr 13, 2008
when you use MHL with the Note 3, I had to have the power plugged in and the HDMI out to the TV and the last thing to plug in is the phone

then it works; you will see the phone on your tv. If you don't do the right order it doesn't work

I am trying to find a way to hook up the phone via MHL HDMI without plugging in power but I have heard of any yet

I played a bunch of 1080 videos on a 720 Plasma and they looked excellent including sports with motion

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
not working... it might have to do with the fact that the charger I use isn't an original samsung one. I'll try tomorrow with the original charger and let you know if it works

ovidiugr

Mar 27, 2011
so I'm not testing this anymore. It was obvious it wouldn't work. I mean common, who are you kidding, not even Note 2 works with MHL1. Note 2 works, just like Note 3 only with the 11pin MHL2. the difference is Note 2 needs to be charged while Note 3 needs not. I followed your instructions and plugged them accordingly. even used 3 different chargers, the last one being an original samsung one. Nothing.