[Q] Problems in updating (4.0.4 to 4.1.1) and going into recovery mode

Search This thread

khalid_saad

Jan 16, 2014
I tried to update my HTC One X from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1 by OTA. The phone would download the entire update (around 370 MB), then try to install it, but couldn't. This happened several times. Then I downloaded the OTA update zip file and copied it to my phone memory. But now, it wouldn't go into recovery mode (after pressing volume down and power and navigating to recovery). When I press on recovery, it would go to a black screen, showing a phone with an exclamatory sign over it. After some time (maybe 1 or 2 minutes) it would reboot to normal mode with 4.0.4.

So, I think the problem is my phone cannot simply enter recovery mode. Is there any way to install the update by commands through PC?

I'm not really a fan of custom ROMs. Only the stock ROM of JB 4.1.1 will do.

Thanks!

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
Try resetting your phone from the hboot. (You'll lose all data including apps and sdcard. So backup first)

Then try ota again.

Sent from my One X

Reactions: khalid_saad

khalid_saad

Jan 16, 2014
Try resetting your phone from the hboot. (You'll lose all data including apps and sdcard. So backup first)

Then try ota again.

Sent from my One X

You mean factory reset? Did that. No improvement. Also I ran the RUU for stock ROM of ICS 4.0.4. Had to do that to unbrick it (long story, was trying to flash custom ROM. Was facing the same problem, couldn't enter recovery option). But still, same story, downloads update for 2 hours, then goes back to 4.0.4. I'm in deep **** man! :(

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
You mean factory reset? Did that. No improvement. Also I ran the RUU for stock ROM of ICS 4.0.4. Had to do that to unbrick it (long story, was trying to flash custom ROM. Was facing the same problem, couldn't enter recovery option). But still, same story, downloads update for 2 hours, then goes back to 4.0.4. I'm in deep **** man! :(

Have you unlocked your bootloader?
If yes, I will directly give you instructions to update to 4.2.2

khalid_saad

Jan 16, 2014

I did, but again relocked to go to stock ROM to unbrick via RUU. I can unlock it again and I would appreciate if you tell me how to update to 4.2.2. But I'm afraid the process won't work if it involves going into recovery mode in the phone. :(

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
I did, but again relocked to go to stock ROM to unbrick via RUU. I can unlock it again and I would appreciate if you tell me how to update to 4.2.2. But I'm afraid the process won't work if it involves going into recovery mode in the phone. :(

It does involve the recovery mode.

Can you tell me why it wouldn't work?

Sent from my One X

khalid_saad

Jan 16, 2014

Sent from my One X

Like I said earlier, when I go to bootloader (by holding volume down and power) and then select recovery from the options, a black screen comes with an android photo in the middle, with an exclamatory sign above it. After a couple of minutes, the screen disappears and the phone is restarted. That's what happens every time, I don't know why.

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
Like I said earlier, when I go to bootloader (by holding volume down and power) and then select recovery from the options, a black screen comes with an android photo in the middle, with an exclamatory sign above it. After a couple of minutes, the screen disappears and the phone is restarted. That's what happens every time, I don't know why.

That's not a problem. What you're seeing is the Stock Recovery from HTC. As far as I know, you can't flash stuff from HTC's recovery.

Give me the output of 'fastboot getvar all'

And also while pasting the output, hide your IMEI and Serial No. it may be used for bad purposes by bad people.

khalid_saad

Jan 16, 2014
That's not a problem. What you're seeing is the Stock Recovery from HTC. As far as I know, you can't flash stuff from HTC's recovery.

And also while pasting the output, hide your IMEI and Serial No. it may be used for bad purposes by bad people.

I found an article in the internet telling that if I copy the OTA update .zip file in my phone's memory, then go to recovery and select that file for update, it will update from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1. Sorry I forgot the link, so can't give you the reference.

Anyway, here is the output of 'fastboot getvar all':
(bootloader) version: 0.5a
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.12.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 2.1204.135.20
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 2.17.401.2
(bootloader) serialno: ************
(bootloader) imei: ***************
(bootloader) product: endeavoru
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-T30S
(bootloader) modelid: PJ461****
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3832mV
(bootloader) devpower: 51
(bootloader) partition-layout: None
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: None
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 2
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.810s

Reactions: athulele

athulele

Oct 11, 2011
USA
I found an article in the internet telling that if I copy the OTA update .zip file in my phone's memory, then go to recovery and select that file for update, it will update from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1. Sorry I forgot the link, so can't give you the reference.

(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3832mV
(bootloader) devpower: 51
(bootloader) partition-layout: None
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: None
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 2
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.810s

Cool dude! You have a s-off deivce!

Anyway, Backup ALL (Apps, contacts, sdcard) data before you start with the following steps -

1. Keep your bootloader LOCKED.

2. Download this firmware and place it in your fastboot folder. Also download the stock ROM and place it on your device.

3. reboot your phone into fastboot mode
4. Through cmd - fastboot oem rebootRUU
5.You'll have a black screen on the device
6. Just to be sure, flash the firmware zip twice while in RUU mode. (fastboot flash zip firmware.zip)
7. Now go back to fastboot mode ( Power and volume combo)
8. Unlock your bootloader ( please refer HTCDev for instructions)
9. Flash this recovery (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
10. Extract the boot.img from the Stock ROM zip and flash it through fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot.img)
11. Go into the recovery. Do a Factory Reset.
12. locate the stock rom and flash it. (if it was erased while unlocking the bootloader, place it again)
13. now reboot
14. If all goes well, you'll boot into stock 4.2.2!

15. if you want to receive further OTA updates (if any)from hTC , flash this recovery.

Hope I helped! Feel free to ask any doubt you have!

khalid_saad

Jan 16, 2014
Cool dude! You have a s-off deivce!

Anyway, Backup ALL (Apps, contacts, sdcard) data before you start with the following steps -

1. Keep your bootloader LOCKED.

2. Download this firmware and place it in your fastboot folder. Also download the stock ROM and place it on your device.

3. reboot your phone into fastboot mode
4. Through cmd - fastboot oem rebootRUU
5.You'll have a black screen on the device
6. Just to be sure, flash the firmware zip twice while in RUU mode. (fastboot flash zip firmware.zip)
7. Now go back to fastboot mode ( Power and volume combo)
8. Unlock your bootloader ( please refer HTCDev for instructions)
9. Flash this recovery (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img)
10. Extract the boot.img from the Stock ROM zip and flash it through fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot.img)
11. Go into the recovery. Do a Factory Reset.
12. locate the stock rom and flash it. (if it was erased while unlocking the bootloader, place it again)
13. now reboot
14. If all goes well, you'll boot into stock 4.2.2!

15. if you want to receive further OTA updates (if any)from hTC , flash this recovery.

Hope I helped! Feel free to ask any doubt you have!

You are freaking awesome dude! I love you!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Then try ota again.

Sent from my One X

Sent from my One X