FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,151 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,673

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th January 2014, 04:29 PM |#321  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
@MoreThanADev, @chrmhoffmann
Good to see some Devs around here who know how the Android stuff works I am still learning how all the parts fit together on Android. The platforms I develop for are Windows and MAC....no Linux/Android at all. But I am willing to learn

18th January 2014, 06:49 PM |#322  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzano

@MoreThanADev, @chrmhoffmann
Good to see some Devs around here who know how the Android stuff works I am still learning how all the parts fit together on Android. The platforms I develop for are Windows and MAC....no Linux/Android at all. But I am willing to learn

Well i'm just a wanna be android dev too. But yeah some people in the thread really have huge skills !

Speaking of windows and Linux. All the flashing tools I found for the Fairphone were Windows .exe
Did I search badly or is there absolutely no Linux tool for flashing my phone ?
18th January 2014, 07:35 PM |#323  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,122

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanADev

Well i'm just a wanna be android dev too. But yeah some people in the thread really have huge skills !

Speaking of windows and Linux. All the flashing tools I found for the Fairphone were Windows .exe

Well, what do you exactly want to flash?

Chris
18th January 2014, 07:54 PM |#324  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmhoffmann

Well, what do you exactly want to flash?

Chris

At the moment nothing.

But, if, someday, I happen to brick my phone and have no way to have an adb shell on it.
I suppose the only fix would be to use to the sp_flash tool as stated in this post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=230

Of course I don't plan to brick my phone, but i don't plan not using/updating it neither, so i'm thinking ahead in order to feel less shy whenever i want to try something on it .
18th January 2014, 07:58 PM |#325  
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreThanADev

Recovery only works with signed zips, however you can use dd and use the offsets provided in scatter.txt to flash pretty much whatever you want. Fastboot (and YAFFS!) would have been the way to go, @joemier.
Attached Files
File Type: txt scatter.txt - [Click for QR Code] (407 Bytes, 24 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to MarcoToo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarcoToo Ad-Free
18th January 2014, 08:09 PM |#326  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,122

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoToo

Recovery only works with signed zips, however you can use dd and use the offsets provided in scatter.txt to flash pretty much whatever you want. Fastboot (and YAFFS!) would have been the way to go, @joemier.

You can flash boot and recovery with dd and /dev/bootimage and /dev/recovery

But I agree that they should add fastboot, please @joemier

Chris
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrmhoffmann For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrmhoffmann Ad-Free
19th January 2014, 02:12 AM |#327  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Post How improve GPS signal reception
Note: This how-to is quite large, so I tried my best to keep it short and use [HIDE] wherever possible. And for you devs who already have optimized your GPS - well, least there are some colorful pics for you at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastos77

please post some guidance, thank you.

What we are going to do here is reduce the time to first fix (TTFF) - this the time your device needs to lock on to the first satellite. After that, every subsequent GPS signal should be found much quicker, and it should be more accurate. However, some of the improvements come at the cost of mobile data usage (more info at end of post), but it's usually in the kilobyte area, so no biggie.

There are three different measures to increase your GPS functionality:
  1. Activate A-GPS & EPO
    You probably already know this, but just in case: In SettingsLocation access, activate GPS satellites (on/off switch), then click on GPS satellites.
    Here, activate EPO assistance & A-GPS.
    Enter A-GPS, click Network Request.
    Enter EPO settings, click Auto download, then Download at the bottom.

2. Download & installEPO files
    As you might have noticed, the download function doesn't really work; this is because Mediatek's FTP server seems to be down almost constantly. This has annoyed so many people that there's a thread dedicated to getting the EPO files. So you got two choices:

Download the latest version from my Dropbox (took me about 15 tries), or

Take the hard route and try the FTP server yourself:

• Name: epo.mediatek.com
    • Port: 21
    • Login: epo_alps
    • Password: epo_alps
    • The files you need: EPO.DAT and EPO.MD5
    Put the files EPO.DAT and EPO.MD5 into /data/misc. If you don't have permission and don't know to to change this, click here:

Open Terminal, and type:
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    chmod 777 /system/app
    Then it should be possible to insert the files. Properties:
    Now check whether the system has accepted the files by entering EngineerMode: Dial *#*#3646633#*#*. Swipe to Location → Location Based Service → EPO. Under EPO file info, you should see the correct date (2014-01-19). The files are valid for a month. Below, you can set the update period; I've set mine to 2x a day, but I still have to download the files manually.

3. Set NTP server
    In order to sync quickly to the satellites, you should always connect to your nearest NTP server. You can do this yourself by editing gps.conf in system/etc, but I recommend:

Download FasterGPS, grant super user access, and set your region and country. Correct files will be written.

Done! Now turn on your GPS, step outside, start EngineerMode (Dial*#*#3646633#*#*) again, and go to Location → YGPS. Then watch the magic happen (hopefully ) Under information, you can find stats like time to first fix, accuracy etc - Remember, after the first TTFF, reconnections should go a lot faster.

Hope this helped! If there are any more tips to enhance GPS let me know - I am still a beginner when it comes to Android, but here at XDA the learning curve is damn steep And it looks like even as a junior member, I can already post links... thanks to whoever enabled that!

Info on A-GPS and EPO:

What is A-GPS? Assisted GPS, where your data connection is used to download information about GPS, satellites etc. Shortens the TTFF.
What is EPO? Extended Prediction Orbit, MTK’s proprietary off-line server based technology, which downloads data about the satellite movement for the next weeks. That way, your GPS knows where to look. More info here.
As a bonus, here are some field tests concerning not only GPS precision, but also navigation and RAM use when constantly connected:

Before I had correctly set up EPO and NTP, GPS signal was already quite good, but it took a long time to lock, and would often get interrupted. Here is an example of a train ride at about 140km/h - it doesn't show on the map, but if you download and open the KML file, you can see the constant interrupts as the GPS loses signal.

After I fixed all the settings, I recorded a bus ride on the German freeway, and I was impressed with the precision! We went into Mainz (semi-big city) and even between the tall buildings the position never went off too far to interrupt navigation. @paphko, if you haven't already, then give these steps up there a chance and try again - maybe it'll work better! My navigation window mostly looked like this:

The battery held up very well, too: I kept the screen on for the entire 4 hrs, and with navigation and tracking had only used up about 40%. Not bad at all.

By the way, since we were discussing the limitations of Fairphone only having 1GB RAM a couple weeks ago, this is what it looks like under the hood when using both MyTracks and Maps Navigation (and Facebooking, and Dropboxing, ... ):

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to simsalonaut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift simsalonaut Ad-Free
19th January 2014, 10:49 AM |#328  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwildenhain

Yes, works out of the box:

Instellingen -> [Draadloos en netwerken] Meer ... -> USB internet
Should be more or less: Settings -> [Wireless and networks] More ... -> USB Internet

It only displays instructions how to setup a Windows computer to share your internet connection, but it also works if you pretend to have Windows XP and setup your Linux desktop accordingly (your usbX address has to be 192.168.0.1/24, your system has to respond to dns-requests and of course, you should have NAT and routing enabled)

Regards,
Benedikt

(Of course, I could give more detailed instructions, but as I don't know your PCs OS, that might be useless)

Ah I missed that option, thanks! I kept going into Tethering & portable hotspot.

(I'm on Ubuntu, but was mostly wondering whether it would work at all - I've got wifi set up now so it's not really necessary anymore.)
19th January 2014, 10:51 AM |#329  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Partitioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrueegg

after i bricked my phone in the first run, i now managed to have a bigger data partition:

i successfully used meteos-mtk6589-rom-edit-optimized_for_8gb-16gb-en.apk from partition_storage_mtk6577.rar found at chinaphonearena.

now i have a 7GB /data partition:

Code:
[email protected]:/ $ df
Filesystem             Size   Used   Free   Blksize
/dev                   487M    52K   487M   4096
/mnt/secure            487M     0K   487M   4096
/mnt/asec              487M     0K   487M   4096
/mnt/obb               487M     0K   487M   4096
/system                639M   348M   290M   4096
/data                    7G   131M     6G   4096
/cache                 123M     4M   118M   4096
/mnt/cd-rom              1M     1M     0K   2048
/protect_f               8M     4M     4M   4096
/protect_s               8M     4M     4M   4096
/storage/sdcard0         6G   608K     6G   32768
be aware that this will factory reset your device. make a backup.

not sure, what happens, if you omit the erase-step. init does an fscheck and fsresize before mounting the partition. so maybe data would be preserved. do not rely on this assumption. I did not check it!!!

still trying to find a way to fully disable the FAT partition on mccblk0p8 ... any ideas?

martin.

I managed to reproduce the partitioning (well, at least with 2.7 GB since I was not sure if I have a 4 GB or 8 GB ROM) and would be willing to write a how-to for it It's quite easy, although I had that "dead Android - no command." screen for a while :P

PS: for people coming over from iOS to Android there is a way to transfer your contacts without iCloud or gmail - could help y'all on that.

PPS: Is there a way to install the xda App without google play? Guess I'd just need a link to the .apk but couldn't find one :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-01-19-00-13-25.png
Views:	170
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2525601  
19th January 2014, 11:49 AM |#330  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Post Partitioning - how to
Here is a step-by-step instruction to partition your Fairphone

Two things you should know before doing this:
- you will have to reset your phone completely, so all your data will be lost
- I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone by doing this :P
  • Install and open this App (just click the link with your phone browser)
  • Choose any size, confirm
  • Message "Operation completed succesfully [..]" should appear
  • Turn off your phone
  • Turn on your phone while holding the volume up button
  • Don't worry, the next screen should look like the first attached pic
  • To activate those options, press your power button once
  • Press the volume down button until you are on "wipe data/factory reset"
  • Press the volume up button to select this option
  • Same goes for the next step, just choose "Yes" when being asked if you really want to do it.

Finished!

Credit goes to mrueegg!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	recoverymode.jpg
Views:	1888
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2525669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-19-12-34-32.png
Views:	1836
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	2525670  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to arghwhymustiregister For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arghwhymustiregister Ad-Free
19th January 2014, 12:06 PM |#331  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I also repartitioned my FP this way , was really easy , now i have 4GB data-partition

Gesendet von meinem FP1 mit Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)