WOW: just got my XPERIA X2 !! Unboxing video, first impressions, Q&As, User guide...

Search This thread

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
WOW: just got my XPERIA X2 !! Unboxing video, first impressions, Q&As, User guide...

WOW I am amazed :eek: Sony did it again, got my retail (final) version SE X2 today, some quick first impressions (my thumbs are busy touching the phone right now :D)

UNBOXING

EDIT: Unboxing Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8eVv-BnzSY

- The box is smaller than X1, well packaged, simple but clever and proper
- A 4GB micro SD is included, along with a 1500 mAh Battery (same battery as X1), standard USB charging wall (mains) plug and USB-microUSB cable, a little user manual, and cool Sony earphones / handsfree
- It comes with what seems to be a TV OUT CABLE INCLUDED :confused: :cool: ?? (lemme check this one and confirm -> EDIT: CONFIRMED !! TV out cable included, see pic down)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

- BUILD QUALITY is WAY better than X1 or any HTC plastic phone (comparing to the (HD2 and Diamond2/Pure right now): this phone has METAL all around and just feels SOLID but LIGHTER than X1
- The phone has a SOLID, METALLIC FEEL not found on my other HTC plastic cheapo phones (HD2 / Diamond2)
- Slightly less weigth than X1
- Slightly bigger than X1, BUT THINNER, even with the slick "grab me from here" bulks in the battery cover. NOT AS BULKY AS RHODIUM.
- NEW battery COVER: METALLIC, sleek (easy to take with both hands to thumb type), and it has a RELEASE BUTTON that makes it very easy to remove without struggling with come cramped holes or using a knife to open it: just push the release button and plop it goes from right to left (sort of oppening a chest)
- The SIM compartment has been redesigned too: another improvement over X1
- The micro SD slot is besides the SIM holder, accessible from the outside once you twist-open the battery door.
- New stylus design, easyer to grab (just to test... I never use it :p)

TURN ON

Used to Captain slow's X1 boot time, I pressed powwe and put it over the table to take a look at the USB cable... UPS... IT WAS ON AND READY in no time, so I can not drescribe the boot process, all I can say is it was FAST

- THE SCREEN IS GORGEOUS, WOW !! Bright and crips. Not capacitive, but brighter and crispier than the HTC Diamond2 sitting by its side. THIS IS DEFINITIVELY NOT THE SAME SCREEN FROM THE X1, THIS ONE IS WAY BETTER
- The new keyboard layout is OMG... :) GREAT: good feedback, solid buttons, control key, shortcut for video out, etc etc etc... just as looking as a tiny standard PC keyboard - SCORE on this one !!
- 8.1 Megapixel with flash and geotagging :D I gotta feeeling I ain't sleeping tonite !! Hmmm... WVGA video recording with LED light anyone ?? Yesss.

- THE DEFAULT TILES PANEL IS AMAZING, the animations come from another world, and it is VERY useful

- SONY HAS REVAMPED MOST ICONS FROM THE STOCK WinMo 6.5 START MENU, and has face-lifted many interfaces as the "create a new mail account" dialogue. COOL and finger friendly !!

EDIT: I just found it has a menu to CUSTOMIZE INPUT FEEDBACK with TWO BIG LEDs located at the top and bottom of the phone, and HAPTIC FEEDBACK (vibration at touch) too. Sweeeet.

qpscv6.jpg

Charging while turned off, it has a battery animation on screen

33bcs38.jpg

EDIT: Video Explanation of the new "SlideView" UI which replaced X1's simpler Panel Manager: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUFd5XZ0tyg & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_DkpP0oXGU

EDIT: VIDEO playback performance comparison, X1 vrs X2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTKEz30SHNE

EDIT: Sample video taken with the SE X2, at full 800x480 (WVGA) resolution, in a dark place with the LED light on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDXzr4004M

EDIT: Some SCREEN CAPTURES pics at post 2 (scroll down)

EDIT: Raw ROM dump, panels, theme etc here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=585722

EDIT: PDF User guide / Quick start and papers download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E2P5PH4R

More to come as it emerges :D ...

Last edited:

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
I am glad to continue finding MORE FACE-LIFTED WM6.5 menus and dialogs
No no no no, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT
Guys my HTC Pure (Diamond2) and HD2 are up FOR SALE, I don't want them anymore :D :D

CON:

The USB port is similar but DIFFERENT, which means my previous cables CAN'T BE USED with the X2 !!! (looks like a flatten out mini USB port = micro USB port, thanks for pointing out !!)

MORE INFO UPDATE

1- There's a lot of new software to describe and comment

2- Curiously enough: NO OPERA, but the newer Pocket Internet explorer is behaving fine

3- The new panels interface is more complex: the panels button won't take you to the 9 panels selector but to a scrollabel menu (sort of the "Media Xperience Panel" looked like), wher you can finger-scroll access MAIL, SE SYNC, PANELS, PLAY NOW, MEDIA [slide view] (notice this is not a panel itself, but integrated into the "panels" interface, which I like a LOT), CALENDAR, and CALL HISTORY (this one includes the new dialer/contacts/calls user interface)

I will have to post TONS of pics to fully describe it :D

4- Sony has made custom themed icons (electric green over black) for many Bronze (WM6.5 Start Menu) apps: help, SlideView, Camera, Media, Panels (yes: a link to access the panels interface) and "SE Sync", which is an online backup service (like "MS MyPhone")

5- GAMES: Preloaded are Bubble Breaker, Solitaire, "EXPERIMENT 13" (looking good... let´s test a bit more !!) and XTRAKT

6- Other on-board software: Google Maps, Boingo Mobile, a NATIVE YOU TUBE APP !!! Marketplace and MyPhone are there too, along with the traditional WM6.5 apps and shortcuts. Adobe Reader LE is there too.

7- Pressing "settings" shows the typical System, Personal and Commections folders plus a themed "Backlight and Power" shortcut. I NOTICED POWER IS READ IN 1% INCREMENTS HERE, SO A TASKBAR DRIVER WOULDN'T BE SO HARD TO ACCOMPLISH

8- Here in settings the NEW SONY COMM MANAGER, WOW, way a lot better that HTC's one, more complete, and of course theme matched to the tiles panel. YOU CAN EVEN SELECT DLNA, Direct Push or VIDEO OUT SOURCE FROM THIS NEW COMM MANAGER

9- There's a NEW TASK MANAGER TOO: theme matched and more ample (finger friendly). I love this one too. BEWARE is preset to minimize, not CLOSE apps when pressing the "x"

10- The reset button is hidden under the stylus (battery cover has to be removed)

NOT PRESENT:

- Miscrosoft .NET Compact frameworks 3.5 IS NOT PRE-INSTALLED
- Opera Browser is not present
- No "quick GPS" (it's HTC's)

SOME TESTED APPS:

- hTorch (requires NET CF 3.5) --> not working ??
- CapSure --> OK
- WMWiFiRouter --> OK
- HTC Pure's Music ID tweaked / ported app for SEX2 (uploading soon :D) --> OK
- HTC Blackstone's MP3 trimmer tweaked / ported app for SEX2 (uploading soon :D) --> OK

Here's the first boot log:

Code:
---- 1/7/80 11:00:41 AM ----
Begin Factory phase, 10/8/09 2:29:42 AM
Cabs to install: 76
 1  - 42.4  - _setupJbed.CAB
 2  - 14.0  - AdobeReaderLE.CAB
 3  - 9.6   - AwoX_DMS_Setup_for_SEMC_win32-v08.cab
 4  - 10.0  - BoingoMobile.CAB
 5  - 2.1   - CABInstaller_R55.CAB
 6  - 20.8  - Camera_R59.CAB
 7  - 1.2   - Change_OTA_CP_Policy.cab
 8  - 9.9   - ClearStorageSetup.CAB
 9  - 45.0  - cnn-panel.CAB
 10 - 21.3  - CommManagerCab.CAB
 11 - 20.0  - ConnectionSetupWizard.CAB
 12 - 10.2  - DeviceInfo.CAB
 13 - 1.9   - DRMWhiteList.CAB
 14 - 9.6   - Experiment_13_-_r7941.cab
 15 - 3.2   - ExtraFonts_v1.0.cab
 16 - 2.6   - FlashPanelAndMMIInstall.CAB
 17 - 21.5  - GoogleMaps_v3.2.1.16-norun-gmm-sonyericsson.CAB
 18 - 11.8  - GooglePanel.CAB
 19 - 35.9  - GoogleSearch_SEMC_2.1.813.CAB
 20 - 4.5   - GrowingPanel.cab
 21 - 6.0   - IdleModeText.CAB
 22 - 5.0   - IlluminationSvcSetup.CAB
 23 - 30.7  - JMMS_Ver4.5.75_01Oct09_SE_PPC.CAB
 24 - 10.6  - MicrophoneAGCApp.CAB
 25 - 10.3  - MobileDataSetup.CAB
 26 - 2.0   - MonitorNapDefChange_V10.CAB
 27 - 3.0   - MyCPLSetup.CAB
 28 - 3.3   - OEMNotif_R47.CAB
 29 - 10.3  - OpticalJoystickSettingsSetup.CAB
 30 - 26.5  - owp_en.cab
 31 - 20.1  - PanelManager_R59.CAB
 32 - 1.6   - PatternsSetup.CAB
 33 - 10.8  - PhoneSettingsSetup.CAB
 34 - 4.5   - PixelCityDayPanel.cab
 35 - 4.4   - PixelCityNightPanel.cab
 36 - 12.6  - PMBacklightSetup.CAB
 37 - 2.4   - PMLauncher_R57.CAB
 38 - 105.4 - se_keyboard.CAB
 39 - 2.2   - SE_StartMenuLandscape.cab
 40 - 3.6   - SE_WelcomScrRemover.CAB
 41 - 206.0 - SEMC_UserGuide_EN.cab
 42 - 7.2   - SEMCFlashDeployment.CAB
 43 - 5.0   - SEMCSlideViewPluginInstaller.CAB
 44 - 73.0  - SettingsPart1.CAB
 45 - 72.8  - SettingsPart2.CAB
 46 - 22.9  - Setup_BT_extensions.CAB
 47 - 22.6  - SetupSNM.CAB
 48 - 19.8  - SlideView_R60.CAB
 49 - 3.7   - SonyEricsson_Emailsignature.CAB
 50 - 39.6  - SpbMobileShell_126628.cab
 51 - 7.4   - SpbMobileShell_LifestylePanel_126628.cab
 52 - 106.2 - SupportPanelCab.CAB
 53 - 2.3   - SymSelectorSetup.CAB
 54 - 13.9  - TaskManagerSetup.CAB
 55 - 24.7  - TileWave.091008.024.R1315.CAB
 56 - 12.0  - TimezoneSvcSetup.CAB
 57 - 12.8  - TVOutManagementSetup.CAB
 58 - 1.4   - USBMS_RegKey.cab
 59 - 23.2  - VulcanDialer_1.0.0.638.cab
 60 - 2.3   - XKeyHandler_R55.CAB
 61 - 17.6  - XPERIA_THEME_V2.0.cab
 62 - 11.1  - XpFilterDeploy_R60.CAB
 63 - 2.5   - XpFramework_R55.CAB
 64 - 12.6  - xPlayNow-0.20.0.CAB
 65 - 25.6  - Xtrakt_09.09.22.RC10.r7944_Release_Vulcan.CAB
 66 - 19.4  - youtube.CAB
 67 - 3.2   - zzSE_IlluminationSetting.CAB
 68 - 2.4   - zzSE_MSFT_Setting.cab
 69 - 7.1   - zzz010_Generic_Default.cab
 70 - 2.1   - zzz015_MSFT_License_en.cab
 71 - 1.7   - zzz015_NonOperator_defaults.cab
 72 - 3.8   - zzz020_content.cab
 73 - 6.2   - zzz023_startmenu_en.cab
 74 - 4.5   - zzz050_network.cab
 75 - 2.0   - zzzzSEUS_VersionInfoCUSEN.cab
 76 - 2.2   - ZZZZZZ_SlideViewDisableErrorMessage.CAB
Install time: 22 mins, 58 secs
Copied 0 directories, 0 files in 0.06 secs
End Factory phase, 10/8/09 2:52:40 AM

SOME QUICK SCREEN CAPS:

1zb9k6t.jpg

fu48xw.jpg

TV OUT:

dhe8ut.jpg

Last edited:

medzz

Aug 16, 2009
Oh my godness congratulations !!!

Tell us the differences and everything now !, god damnit im so excited to se how it looks inside !
And if you say its smoth etc, it will prob run at almost the same paste on out poor x1 :p
once agin CONGRATULATIONS ! :p

EDIT: How much did it cost you ? :)

Last edited:

Darth Sith

Jan 6, 2008
Very very compliments!
The thing that interest me is the multimedia capabilities: please try to make a video in full quality with camera, than see if it can play without lags. (if you can post the video...)

How is fast in panels? and how fast is tilewave panel?
Hope somethings good can be installed on X1.

sx1-doc

Dec 1, 2005
Gratz Gtrab,

finally somebody with good experience got an X2 ,Dream come true.

i am sure that the Dump is been done already and Gtrab is cooking and adding some spices and salt.

by the way jbenchmark Results proof that X2 has ultimate java emulator (hope to see it soon around) can you canfirm it ??
Happy for You G

Last edited:

mbernstein

May 8, 2006
Hi GTrab,

Please let us know, when it will be OK to post some questions without being too pushy (as I believe you will answer many of them with your impressions/review).

Thanks.

Hannigan174

Mar 14, 2008
I was kinda poo-pooing the X2 to myself, but after hearing gtrab gush about, maybe I do want one :). Regardless, I'll get a chance to try out some of the stuff when the panels, etc. get ripped out of it.

Hope you love your X2 gtrab, and I hope you will be willing to share some of the new goodies with us.

gtrab

Aug 10, 2007
America
I will try to answer all Qs

And yes I am trying to find a way to dump ;)

Tilewaves panel is AWESOME and FAST

ipporek

Jul 21, 2008
Hmm... now you're tempting me to get the X2 as well... Had only just decided to give up on it and stick to my X1 while I got the X10 as my 2nd phone...