[Q] Confirming the Stuff i need to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
NOTE: MODS, i know i could have used an existing thread for this, but i need the information in a proper way and maybe ask some repeated questions.

Hi guys,
I recently bought my first sony phone. Mighty impressed, i must say. Being an old HTC fan, i didnt expect i will ever make a jump, but this phone hooked me.

I have worked a bit for the development of HTC and some other phones, so i know what to look for and where to. Reading all the guides here, this is what i concluded if i want to safely unlock bootloader and flash some CM goodness. Please read my steps and let me know i am doing the right thing:

1. Root (via Doomlord thread guide. Flash old kernel, use exploit, then flash new kernel back)
2. Backup TA partition (for the precious BE2 and other magical SONY stuff)
3. Unlock BL the official or unofficial way, (as it doesnt matter because i can always relock it using TA backup , am i right???)
4. Flash CWM/TWRP etc and enjoy all the custom roms. (never look back)

Much appreciated guys. I will surely contribute with my own flavor of aokp once i get the basics correct. Not so soon.

Regards
neXusPRIME

Reactions: GtrCraft

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
Real benefits of unlocking bootloader? And can I use custom roms without unlocking?
Found it. I need to unlock before flashing non stock custom roms.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
Secondly, does anyone know a method to skip tracks while sleep mode? I don't want to wake phone each time I want to skip a track

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
if 4.3 comes via OTA and i have rooted (not Unlocked), will i get the ota and will it install properly?

or do we need a clean untouched device for OTA?

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
No if your bootloader is untouched it will update you will lose root tho

Sent from my C5303 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: neXus PRIME

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
One last question before taking the plunge.
What if i flash a generic stock FTF (for my c5303 ofcourse), but not caring about the branding, will that also be okay for OTAs or will i have to repair/update via PCC SEUS?
In other words, how do i know which branding stock ftf do i need? About Phone page doesnt have that info i think.

I am not worried about system partition or anything, but i want to make sure i have stock recovery of my phone which will guaranteed work when i get the 4.3 OTA.
for rest, ill root, flash CWM and nand backup all things.

btw, it was so so easier on HTC :(

Last edited:

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012
One last question before taking the plunge.
What if i flash a generic stock FTF (for my c5303 ofcourse), but not caring about the branding, will that also be okay for OTAs or will i have to repair/update via PCC SEUS?
In other words, how do i know which branding stock ftf do i need? About Phone page doesnt have that info i think.

I am not worried about system partition or anything, but i want to make sure i have stock recovery of my phone which will guaranteed work when i get the 4.3 OTA.
for rest, ill root, flash CWM and nand backup all things.

btw, it was so so easier on HTC :(

You can restore you phone with SEUS also with Flashtool ofcourse.
It does not matter what kind of firmware you flash as long as it is an C5303 one. I had dutch Vodafone Branded and I flashed a Generic EU one without issue the updates will be provide by Sony and not vodafone (my case).

Reactions: neXus PRIME

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
You can restore you phone with SEUS also with Flashtool ofcourse.
It does not matter what kind of firmware you flash as long as it is an C5303 one. I had dutch Vodafone Branded and I flashed a Generic EU one without issue the updates will be provide by Sony and not vodafone (my case).

Great. Thanks. I'm thinking of creating my own ftf. Just for the sake of it.

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
A little help please!!!
locked BL
rooted stock
installed cwm n twrp for locked bl. took a nand backup.
tried to flash existenze ultra using twrp without wiping anything. Installation completed in 10 sec, which is fishy.
on reboot, phone is stuck on sony logo.
cant enter recovery, only goes into flashmode....

what to do now???
can i recover??

Nanostray

Oct 30, 2012
A little help please!!!
locked BL
rooted stock
installed cwm n twrp for locked bl. took a nand backup.
tried to flash existenze ultra using twrp without wiping anything. Installation completed in 10 sec, which is fishy.
on reboot, phone is stuck on sony logo.
cant enter recovery, only goes into flashmode....

what to do now???
can i recover??

Well, that's weird... Flash original .ftf with flashtool?

neXus PRIME

Nov 22, 2011
Lahore, Pakistan
Well, that's weird... Flash original .ftf with flashtool?

Used sony update service to repair my phone,
Its back to unrooted stock 254
i think twrp messed something up.
Is it recommended or CWM only works?

on my old phone, twrp was more reliable.

There is something fishy with sony mobiles.

I know the modding stuff is more safe due to flashtool being always available for the rescue, however common stuff such as unlock, TA, recovery and etc are much too complicated for the newcomers.

even being n RC for porting TWRP to two htc phones didnt help me there.

Stuff dont work the first time.
In my case, the problem was,
flashtool worked the second time for flashing 254 kernel
doomlord kit worked the second time for rooting (i really dont know why, but it wasnt related to kit, something up with usb debug n permissions)
installing CWM didnt work the first time as well, (not the fault of installer, rather first time fails coz u give SU permissions just then, so something is missed, 2nd time, the SU permission is already there, so it works)

and ROM flashing almost always needs wipe dalvik/data/cache etc otherwise you might mess something up...

Its a lot safer if i see it one way, because these steps are more foolproof, but on the other hand, a lot more complicated, then say HTC or samsung phones. especially as i havent unlocked my BL so being cautious at every step.

Anyways, all things are fine now, using existenze ultra and enjoying it every bit.
Will step more carefully now on, using above as experience. Thanks all. This thread is closed until i have another problem :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: MODS, i know i could have used an existing thread for this, but i need the information in a proper way and maybe ask some repeated questions.

Hi guys,
    I recently bought my first sony phone. Mighty impressed, i must say. Being an old HTC fan, i didnt expect i will ever make a jump, but this phone hooked me.

I have worked a bit for the development of HTC and some other phones, so i know what to look for and where to. Reading all the guides here, this is what i concluded if i want to safely unlock bootloader and flash some CM goodness. Please read my steps and let me know i am doing the right thing:

1. Root (via Doomlord thread guide. Flash old kernel, use exploit, then flash new kernel back)
    2. Backup TA partition (for the precious BE2 and other magical SONY stuff)
    3. Unlock BL the official or unofficial way, (as it doesnt matter because i can always relock it using TA backup , am i right???)
    4. Flash CWM/TWRP etc and enjoy all the custom roms. (never look back)

Much appreciated guys. I will surely contribute with my own flavor of aokp once i get the basics correct. Not so soon.

Regards
    neXusPRIME
    Yes and Yes.
    The steps you described are the proper ones ;)

You can use Voodoo OTA Rootkeepr for that
    Rooting will flash custom recovery. How to get back stock recovery after that?

Rooting will not flash a custom recovery it will just install a SuperSu app and su binary. U can use a stock firmware and flash it using flashtool to get back to stock

Sent from my C5302 using Tapatalk