[TOOL] Include your own framework files into android SDK

Search This thread

ss.plinio

Mar 6, 2013
I've developed a shell script to add custom shared java libraries into android SKD.

The purpose is to create an easy way to share new APIs using the android SDK itself, enabling developers to use some new framework feature in the same way they used to coding with a standard SKD.

A real world use case: I had to create a new feature to our cm-9 like firmware. This feature must be a brand new API inside android framework and then some applications would use it. The issue comes in how developers would compile their apps. So far the only option was every development environment point to the library source code, since android standard SKD obviously has not this new API.

Would be easier if we had a SDK with that feature, wouldn't it? Then, all developers would just use that SDK to compile their apps just as they are used to do.

This is what sdk-maker.sh intends to do.

How to use:
Code:
$ sdk-maker.sh --help

Important concepts:
  • Base platform: this sdk-maker will perform all operations taking an existing SDK platform as starting point. E.g., if you want to use ICS as base to your new platform, you should use android-15 since it is the folder inside
    Code:
    sdk_location/platforms
    which refers to ICS.
  • API level: Same meaning used for Google. E.g.: ICS has API level 15. You must NOT have two or more platforms with the same API level. This will lead you SDK to not work with Eclipse.

Operation systems:
  • Linux like. Tested with Ubuntu 12.04 (LTS)

Required tools (you can both add them to your PATH or pass to sdk-maker as an argument):
  • dex2jar. Actually sdk-tool will look for d2j-dex2jar.sh.
  • zip
  • unzip

Limitations: It can not embed java docs. Any tips about how to do that will be appreciated.

Thanks: Unfortunately I can not post the link from where my inspiration comes because I'm a new XDA user and then I can not post outside links. I'll do that after reach 10 posts.

Attachments

• sdk-maker.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited: