[Nook HD/HD+] EMMC CM11 install - updated 11/29

Search This thread

metropolitans

Jan 11, 2012
I updated to the 1-19 nightly for the HD yesterday and was extremely happy to see that the local user profile image was restored to the "User switcher" tile in the notification drawer. I know it's just a GUI thing, but I really didn't like having my Google+ avatar in there. So thanks for that!

I just got my first spontaneous reboot ever (on any ROM) yesterday while granting superuser privileges to Battery Doctor to prevent autostart for some apps. But I haven't had any since. Also, on one of the nightlies a few days ago, wi-fi once reconnected after sleep to a neighbor's network, instead of mine. But that hasn't been repeated since then. Other than those 2 minor things, performance with CM 11 has been rock solid and stable.

There is one thing -- Battery drain seems to be slightly higher with CM 11 than on stock, but only while in actual use. While sleeping, it's actually a little better, getting 0-1% battery drain overnight.

jbbandos

May 26, 2010
Brussels
After the second reboot with 18/1 unofficial, the network wasn't forgotten. Did wpa configuration format or location change?

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

Forget it, the wifi is still losing the configuration after each reboot. It is almost like wpa_supplicant wasn't opening the conf file.

bykim5

Dec 26, 2011
Installed 1/19 nightly last night. Wifi was logged out when i turned it on from sleep. Toggling wifi didnt fix it, had to manually reconnect

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus
That's so weird. I've never had any issues with Wi-Fi on CM11 so far. Including the 01-19 official build. It just jumps right in with access whenever I need it. No need to reset anything. I have the 'Wi-Fi on during sleep' set to only when plugged in. And whether it's plugged in or not, it never has a problem connecting.

Sent from my Nook HD+ with unofficial Carbon on emmc using Tapatalk 4

chn110

Jan 1, 2009
1/18 build is very smooth. One issue with 1080p video playback. I used to be able to record 1080p video using camcorder onto a MicroSD card, and then plug the card into Nook HD+ and play back using VPlayer with HW decoder enabled. This worked beautifully with the Stock ROM. In 1/18 Vplayer can only play with HW decoder disabled and the video will stutter. It crashes if enabled.

slayer621

Dec 12, 2011
1/18 build is very smooth. One issue with 1080p video playback. I used to be able to record 1080p video using camcorder onto a MicroSD card, and then plug the card into Nook HD+ and play back using VPlayer with HW decoder enabled. This worked beautifully with the Stock ROM. In 1/18 Vplayer can only play with HW decoder disabled and the video will stutter. It crashes if enabled.

I've also had issue with 1080p anime. It plays but way too much stutter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

js365

Mar 5, 2011
Austin, TX
Has anyone tested the 1/21 Nightly? Any random reboots or black screen flickering issues?
With 1/21 for around 3 hours. Screen flickering still there. Haven't experienced any random reboot.... yet....

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

I've also had issue with 1080p anime. It plays but way too much stutter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I'm not sure about the 1080p issue. I tried 720p only. MX player with H/W decoder enabled. It works smoothly. 1/21 build here.

Reactions: slayer621

bxlegend

Jan 25, 2008
New York
There were no device specific changes in the latest nightly. Therefore, the same issues will still exist.

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus
That's so weird. I've never had any issues with Wi-Fi on CM11 so far. Including the 01-19 official build. It just jumps right in with access whenever I need it. No need to reset anything. I have the 'Wi-Fi on during sleep' set to only when plugged in. And whether it's plugged in or not, it never has a problem connecting.

Sent from my Nook HD+ with unofficial Carbon on emmc using Tapatalk 4

Ok. I think I have finally figured out what is going on. Notice that I didn't say I know why, but what. First for those of you who are having the Wi-Fi issues, are you running on dalvik or ART? I don't know why, but I think it makes a difference. I've been running on ART for the last few days, and haven't experienced any problems with Wi-Fi.

Today, for kicks I decided to go back to dalvik, just to see if I could notice anything different. Well, the first thing I noticed was that my Wi-Fi wasn't working. I couldn't even start it by deactivate it and reactivate it, or by turning on airplane mode and back off. So I went to Wi-Fi settings and had to enter in my password. Which is exactly the problem others have been complaining about.

I thought, there's no way that could be the difference, there must be something different in this build. So to test, I decided to go back TO ART and after the reboot happened, I had instant access to Wi-Fi.

So it's my theory that SOMEHOW ART is remembering the Wi-Fi password, but dalvik isn't. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nook HD+ with official CM11 on emmc using Tapatalk pro

JanSpatschek

Dec 1, 2012
Waidhofen
www.rlbrt.de
Ok. I think I have finally figured out what is going on. Notice that I didn't say I know why, but what. First for those of you who are having the Wi-Fi issues, are you running on dalvik or ART? I don't know why, but I think it makes a difference. I've been running on ART for the last few days, and haven't experienced any problems with Wi-Fi.

Today, for kicks I decided to go back to dalvik, just to see if I could notice anything different. Well, the first thing I noticed was that my Wi-Fi wasn't working. I couldn't even start it by deactivate it and reactivate it, or by turning on airplane mode and back off. So I went to Wi-Fi settings and had to enter in my password. Which is exactly the problem others have been complaining about.

I thought, there's no way that could be the difference, there must be something different in this build. So to test, I decided to go back TO ART and after the reboot happened, I had instant access to Wi-Fi.

So it's my theory that SOMEHOW ART is remembering the Wi-Fi password, but dalvik isn't. Hope this helps.

Good point! I am running Dalvik and just experienced a random reboot on 1/21 Nightly and the Wi-Fi issue. Strange.

MechaGen

Sep 9, 2008
Puyallup WA
Samsung Galaxy S20

I've been on dalvik from the start (never tried ART, can't give up Xposed) and have no problems at all with Wi-Fi on 1/17 UNOFFICIAL. On 1/10 I did have to turn Wi-Fi off and back on after sleep.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

rhyang

May 16, 2013
SJC

1/18 unofficial or nightly ? The 1080p fix probably didn't make in until the 1/19 nightly.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

bpaulien

Jan 10, 2013
Columbus
I've been on dalvik from the start (never tried ART, can't give up Xposed) and have no problems at all with Wi-Fi on 1/17 UNOFFICIAL. On 1/10 I did have to turn Wi-Fi off and back on after sleep.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 2

I've only heard of Xposed, never used, or read what it can do, really (or how to install it). So I guess I don't know what I am missing. Might give it a try some time. if I'm not too lazy!

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Tapatalk 2

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
I run my own builds (and ocasionally nightlies) and I have zero wifi problems. Did not get around to trying ART, so 100% davlik.

I myself have no Wi-Fi problems on my build with TI WPA _SUPPLICANT. I think it might depend on the user's router/modem/security.

However, webdroidmt uses my build and have Wi-Fi problem. He replaced the wpa_supplicant.conf from the TI WPA_SUPPLICANT with non TI WPA_SUPPLICANT and it fixes it for him. Maybe someone here should test it out to see if it fixes the Wi-Fi problem for them.
All they have to do is edit the content inside /system/etc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

Non TI WPA_SUPPLICANT
Code:
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=wlan0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
p2p_no_group_iface=1
TI WPA_SUPPLICANT
Code:
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=wlan0