make writing smooth in Lecture Notes

Search This thread

arty93

May 25, 2013
Anyway to change some settings so that the writing is very smooth and not jagged?, I tried Note Anytime which makes your writing look really nice, almost like you are writing on paper!

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010
Anyway to change some settings so that the writing is very smooth and not jagged?, I tried Note Anytime which makes your writing look really nice, almost like you are writing on paper!

Yes absolutely!

When lecturenotes is open, tap your menu button and go to settings. Within settings, first go to input and check "use stylus" then scroll all the way to the bottom and click "filter input setup." Uncheck everything, then check apply Savitzky-Golay filter and set the order to 5. This is my personal favorite, but you might wanna play around with it. Make sure "discard coordinates between Android events" is UNCHECKED.

Now go to Handling and scroll halfway down and make sure "use fast temporary rendering" and "use fast page rendering" is checked.

Also make sure force gpu rendering is not on in your developer settings.

arty93

May 25, 2013
Yes absolutely!

When lecturenotes is open, tap your menu button and go to settings. Within settings, first go to input and check "use stylus" then scroll all the way to the bottom and click "filter input setup." Uncheck everything, then check apply Savitzky-Golay filter and set the order to 5. This is my personal favorite, but you might wanna play around with it. Make sure "discard coordinates between Android events" is UNCHECKED.

Now go to Handling and scroll halfway down and make sure "use fast temporary rendering" and "use fast page rendering" is checked.

Thank you for the reply! I setup everything the way you said to except I was not able to find the 2 options for rendering in handling... Is it under another tab or sub tab.?

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010
Thank you for the reply! I setup everything the way you said to except I was not able to find the 2 options for rendering in handling... Is it under another tab or sub tab.?

My apologies! They're in Display, not Handling. About half way down the page

In the android settings, turning off force gpu rendering also makes a huge difference in lecturenotes.

arty93

May 25, 2013
Thank you! I will try it out in class tomorrow

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I have tried lecture notes several times. But due to the lag I can never stick with it. I end up using Snotes for tracking my clients workouts (Bought my note for my personal training business) and then Papyrus for long notes. It doesn't have as many options as lecturenotes but It is even smoother than Snote

arty93

May 25, 2013
I have tried lecture notes several times. But due to the lag I can never stick with it. I end up using Snotes for tracking my clients workouts (Bought my note for my personal training business) and then Papyrus for long notes. It doesn't have as many options as lecturenotes but It is even smoother than Snote

You might want to try note anytime, it is also very smooth and has a better interface then papyrus in my opinion

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010

There is absolutely NO lag in LectureNotes once you get it tweaked just right.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
I've been playing with it again and its better Now. Im exporting docs made in Lecture Notes width 1600 by height 2560 Ruled 70% and exporting it keeping lines and in A4 all margins at Zero I want to have a way to import them again into a new notebook that Ruled and matches the pdf size and lines perfectly. That way if I erase a part of it there isnt a blank spot with no lines any ideas for this ?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Duly.noted: I am not exactly sure whether I understand what you wish to achieve.

If it is about to copy one or more pages from one notebook to another: Open the source notebook in notebook overview (either directly from the notebooks board by long-clicking on the notebook and selecting `Notebook overview´ in the popup menu, or by opening the notebook normally and selecting `Notebook overview´ in the main menu), click on the tag to activate tag mode and on the pages to be copied to tag them, and select `Copy tagged pages to clipboard´ in the main menu. Close the source notebook and open the target notebook in notebook overview and select `Paste pages from clipboard´ in the main menu. To rearrange pages, click-and-drag them to the desired location.

In case the two notebooks have different (or opposite) aspect ratio, note the first two options `keep aspect ratio´ and `auto-rotate´ in the app's import settings.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
This didn't work for me on JP8 but I borrowed your primary_light_text.xml and pasted in JP8. When I booted using yours on JP8, the text didn't match up and it was all over the place. Also, it actually looks like the text can go a little darker. See my post:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9661649&postcount=73

I want someone else to be able to import and edit the pdf flawlessly as if they made it themselves. I could just export without the lines but it doesn't look good to me

arty93

May 25, 2013
@acadoid is it possible to setup dropbox somehow in lecture notes so that once I save the note it uploads it to dropbox?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@arty93: Even though LectureNotes usage of many individual files to store notebook pages is ideal for syncing your notes, LectureNotes does not directly sync with cloud services. There are too many different cloud services and syncing is better done by the specialized app of your favorite cloud service (or general syncing apps such as FolderSync), as they keep up with interface and security updates. LectureNotes allows you to set its app directory (the place where it stores your notebooks) to any place on your SD card, so that you can set it to a place that gets automatically synced with your cloud account. If you do not yet use such automatic syncing, you can set it up specifically for the LectureNotes app directory. In this way, you can automatically sync different devices as well. A large fraction of LectureNotes users has in fact multiple devices and does syncing in this way.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
@Duly.noted: I am not exactly sure whether I understand what you wish to achieve.

If it is about to copy one or more pages from one notebook to another: Open the source notebook in notebook overview (either directly from the notebooks board by long-clicking on the notebook and selecting `Notebook overview´ in the popup menu, or by opening the notebook normally and selecting `Notebook overview´ in the main menu), click on the tag to activate tag mode and on the pages to be copied to tag them, and select `Copy tagged pages to clipboard´ in the main menu. Close the source notebook and open the target notebook in notebook overview and select `Paste pages from clipboard´ in the main menu. To rearrange pages, click-and-drag them to the desired location.

In case the two notebooks have different (or opposite) aspect ratio, note the first two options `keep aspect ratio´ and `auto-rotate´ in the app's import settings.

I want someone else to be able to import and edit the pdf flawlessly as if they made it themselves. I could just export without the lines but it doesn't look good to me . Try exporting a Note as pdf then import it into A New note. I want the New note to match the pdf dimensions exactly and be able to erase Words from the pdf without lines dissapearing because the notes lines match the pdf's.

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@Duly.noted: Whether or not paper color and paper pattern are included into the export PDF file can be setup in the PDF export setup in the app's export settings.

One can get pages of one notebook to another via PDF export and reimport, but it is usually faster to do that as I described in my previous post.

If you wish to send your notes to another person, you can also share LectureNotes' notebooks (or subset of pages of notebooks), the resulting ZIP archive can be reimported in LectureNotes by the other person. The advantage of this over PDF export/import is that layer structure remains intact.

barthx

Jan 24, 2014
For me lecture notes lags significantly more when I'm in dual window mode. But when I run it in fuIIscreen the lag is barely noticeable. It's really annoying because when l'm studying I have the textbook in one window and take notes in the other. I've done everything mentioned in this thread except disabling "force gpu rendering", I can't seem to find it. Where is it?

acadoid

Apr 29, 2012
www.acadoid.com
@barthx: I am sorry about this problem. From LectureNotes' perspective, it does not make any difference whether it runs in full screen or dual/cascade view, and there is no difference in response time between the two modes on the old Galaxy Note 10.1. Why there is a difference between the two modes on the 2014 Galaxy Note 10.1 is unknown, I guess that input events are sent with a small delay in dual/cascade view. There was initially a similar problem on the Nexus 10, input events were sent with a delay of 250ms, and the problem was gone after a system update.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
@Duly.noted: Whether or not paper color and paper pattern are included into the export PDF file can be setup in the PDF export setup in the app's export settings.

One can get pages of one notebook to another via PDF export and reimport, but it is usually faster to do that as I described in my previous post.

If you wish to send your notes to another person, you can also share LectureNotes' notebooks (or subset of pages of notebooks), the resulting ZIP archive can be reimported in LectureNotes by the other person. The advantage of this over PDF export/import is that layer structure remains intact.

Ok I didn't know I could send it as a zip thanks :)

Romokos

Aug 21, 2010
For me lecture notes lags significantly more when I'm in dual window mode. But when I run it in fuIIscreen the lag is barely noticeable. It's really annoying because when l'm studying I have the textbook in one window and take notes in the other. I've done everything mentioned in this thread except disabling "force gpu rendering", I can't seem to find it. Where is it?

Do a search for it. But you'll find it in the about section in the android settings after you tap the build number 7 times i think.

Either way, no lag for me in multiwindow. even with 800+ page pdf and lecturenotes open

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes absolutely!

This is how I have it setup:

On my Note 10.1:
    In Dropsync, select folder ".../Android/Data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files" to be linked to a folder in Dropbox (I have it set simply as "/LectureNotes/files"). For the sync method, select "two-way." Wait while all your files are uploaded.

On my Note II:
    Once again in Dropsync, select the same local folder as above: ".../Android/Data/com.acadoid.lecturenotes/files" and link it to the Dropbox folder created above ("/LectureNotes/files"). Here's the crucial part: for the sync method, select "download only." Leave this sync method for the initial sync while Dropsync takes all of your files from the Dropbox folder and creates them on your second device. After that, you can change the sync method to whatever you like.

Since my main note-taking tool is my 10.1, and I only use my Note II to read notes (not edit them), I leave my settings as above. If you want to be able to write notes on both devices and have them sync with each other, select "two-way" as the sync method, but ONLY after you've done the initial sync first (otherwise you run the risk of accidentally overwriting all of your files with empty notebooks). If you're adding a third (or even fourth or fifth device), the same logic holds: first use the "download only" method of syncing, then change to whatever you like.

Here's a helpful hint for anyone using Dropsync to keep your files the same across devices: turn WiFi off while you are editing notebook pages! Dropsync, by default, uploads files as they created/modified. Dropsync and LectureNotes occasionally clash while one is uploading your page and the other is auto-saving, creating a "conflicted copy;" for example, your notebook will contain a "page3.png" and a "page3 (conflicted copy 2013-09-24-02-32-16).png". LN, however, only displays the file named "page3.png," even if the conflicted copy is the one that contains your newer edits! To sort this out is annoying and troublesome as you have to open both pages using something other than LN to compare them (Windows explorer/picture viewer, for example), delete one, make sure it is named correctly, sync it to Dropbox, close LN on your device, sync it, then reopen LN! (To my horror, I discovered several notebooks with many "conflicted copies," explaining why some of my work seemed to be missing!)

To avoid this runaround: just turn off WiFi, write to your heart's content, exit from the notebook (which triggers LN's auto-save function) and then turn WiFi back on (allowing Dropsync to do its work). Not an ideal solution, but much, much better than having to go through the recovery procedure described above for each notebook page! I suppose another possible solution is to turn off "Smart Change Detection" and/or "Instant Upload" in Dropsync so that it only syncs on a schedule or when you manually trigger it, but I haven't tried this.
    Where is the option for this? I can't find the developer options setting. I even searched for it and it didn't come up.

Maybe it's still hidden? It's hidden on stock ROM till you enable it. Click on build number (in about device) a few times to enable it. Then you will see Developer options above About device.

Sent from my SM-P600 using XDA Premium HD app