Camera with Photosphere

Search This thread

siraeryn

Aug 27, 2013
Perth
I've been attempting to install the Google edition camera with photosphere on my HTC One XL running CM11.

There are a number of threads with a link to download an APK based on the camera from Android 4.3 or 4.2.
e.g. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2472879 from the EVO 3D thread

When I attempt to install this APK, It simply says Not Installed.
My understanding was that it would coexist with the existing Gallery and camera app.

So I looked for another way to install the camera and found the following link to put together a ZIP to install from Recovery:
http://floodping.org/photosphere-on-cyanogenmod-11-4.4.2/

I followed this through and made a zip file; booted into Recovery (TWRP 2.6.3 with SELinux) and installed it.
It showed up in the applications as Camera, the same as the CM11 camera but is installed in /system/app/GoogleCamera.apk where CM11's camera is called Camera2.apk

I used the Nexus 5 factory image as the basis for this. My zip file.

The results:
Camera, video and panorama worked as for the normal camera
Photosphere started fine. Took a number of photos in the grid. Hit the stop button. Hadn't crashed yet. Now if I change anything it crashes "unfortunately camera has stopped" or similar. At that point, if it hasn't completed rendering the panorama it creates then it will manually need to be force stopped.
By anything, I mean closing the camera or trying to change the camera mode. You can swipe to show the filmstrip view of previous photos but if you select one then the camera crashes.
So... I left it sitting there with the camera open for a while - hopefully long enough to do whatever rendering it needed. Then crashed out. Viewed in gallery and shared in Google+. Here.
One odd thing. I took images around about 180 degrees. They were stitched together as if they were 360 degrees.

I do have a couple questions:
For the APK version - any idea why it would say "Not Installed"? I had enabled Unknown Sources. I do have Norton Mobile installed.
Recovery installed version:
  • Is anyone working on the development of this?
  • Is there anything I can do?
  • I used the Nexus 5 factory image as the base. Generally I understood that apps are fairly universal so would it make any difference to use the Nexus 4 image?

Has anyone else had success, limited or otherwise, with Photospheres on the Evita?

orangekid

Sr. Mod / Mod Committee / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Apr 10, 2009
Moved to the Q&A forum since this is essentially a troubleshooting issue and I think you'll get better exposure here.

For your first question, the only reason I see is because it is trying to overwrite a system file.

I suggest going into /system/app and backing up your current camera APK and then deleting it. Restart the phone and THEN try to install the new APK.

AFAIK, the apps should be relatively universal along the same base, provided you are using the same Android version, this does have exceptions though.