FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Fairphone?

I already own a Fairphone (FP).

46 Vote(s)
86.79%
I ordered or consider to buy a FP.

5 Vote(s)
9.43%
No FP for me yet, but the idea is interesting.

2 Vote(s)
3.77%
Fair? Nothing in life is fair.

0 Vote(s)
0%

Fairphone - Technical details, links and Q&A interaction with Fairphone [26 Jul 2014]

1,148 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,679

By benkxda, Senior Member on 13th July 2013, 02:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd January 2014, 05:20 PM |#381  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 214

More
Hi all,

There are a lot of different questions and issues building up here on XDA for the Fairphone team. Thanks for bearing with us. I've talked with @benkxda so that he can help me collect all relevant issues for the Fairphone tech team and Kwame software developers. Soon, it seems XDA will have Fairphone sub-forums to make this easier for all of us, too.

Also, news for you all: We're still planning the software release of Fairphone OS 1.1 over the air very soon. It was expected around today/tomorrow, but still needs some time.

Best,
Joe
FP Community Manager
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to joemier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joemier Ad-Free
23rd January 2014, 06:17 PM |#382  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Question Wiki pages?
Hi everyone,

I am a total newbie, no developer - and still waiting for my FP1. I must have been one of the last to order, and you guys played a role in convincing me. I've been reading in this thread occasionally since late July and I am impressed. You guys rock. A big warm thank you to @benkxda, also for organising this thread so well by updating the OP.

A question, for you, @benkxda, but also for everyone else: what do you guys think about using the xda-wiki to organise the shared knowledge?

I just realised it's there today, and registered here to ask this question. And also possibly to help filling in some info, if you guys deem it a nice idea. A quick search in the wiki showed that it's seemingly not very much used considering MediaTek based devices: wiki/MediaTek_chipsets - nearly nothing to see there, move along...

Any thoughts, and experiences with the xda-dev wiki?
23rd January 2014, 07:35 PM |#383  

More
Install NOGAPPS Maps - how-to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikokrowe

Could you please provide a more detailed descritpion on how to install the NOGAPPS maps. I managed to install the blank store, but failed on maps (or at least I do believe so as "DB Navigator" installation simply aborts). Installing the zip in recovery mode failed without further information.

Thank you very much in advance

PS: Long time reader's first post - but I'm afraid I have nothing to offer but questions.

Hey @Nikokrowe, finally got it working for myself - hope this will help you:
  • as @MarcoToo mentioned it, you have to unzip those files first
  • second, move
    /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
    and
    /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar
    to the according folders on the phone (until here everything should be the same as it was with Blank Store - you can use the same commands adjusted to the new files)
  • now, to move META-INF you have to allow writing to the root of the phone you can do this with
    mount -o rw,remount -t rootfs /
  • and now you just have to move that folder into the root of your phone

Finished!

Now the last thing to do is give those files the right permissions, just follow this.

Installed DB Navigator and Oeffi without any problems - both working fine!

If you got any questions ask me - spent like 1 hour with that stuff now..
The Following User Says Thank You to arghwhymustiregister For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arghwhymustiregister Ad-Free
23rd January 2014, 08:13 PM |#384  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I don't think that you need the META-INF folder. It's there to be executed. It just copies the system of the zip to /system.

Sent from my FP1 using xda app-developers app
23rd January 2014, 08:47 PM |#385  

More
Hahaha, oh my.. Yeah you are right ^^

Just took a look in the script - well, at least I know how to do such stuff now =P

PS: How can you execute it then?

PPS: no editing possible with the xda app? :/
24th January 2014, 05:32 AM |#386  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
You could execute it by flashing it via recovery. But this doesn't work in our FP1. Perhaps I'll try CWM.

Sent from my FP1 using xda app-developers app
24th January 2014, 02:10 PM |#387  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Hey everyone,

i encountered a bluetooth problem. I am not able to pair my phone with my car (Toyota Yaris). Which is REALLY annoying.
do someone know a way to troubleshoot this? Maybe some apps, or suggestions what I should try?

Here are some details:
With my old phone (Galaxy W) everything worked fine. When I want to pair my phone with my car, everything looks ok during that pairing process. After I accepted every popup, I get the car in my "paired devices" list on the phone, and vice verca. BUT they do not connect. Meaning I cant speak via bluetooth in my car, although they both know each other. And if I try to trigger the connection process manually, it fails everytime without an error message.

Thanks
24th January 2014, 02:50 PM |#388  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Had the same problem. Postponed troubleshooting and next day it works without and Fürther action...
But i have to be BT activated before starting the car.

Gesendet von meinem FP1 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bastos77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bastos77 Ad-Free
24th January 2014, 03:42 PM |#389  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastos77

Had the same problem. Postponed troubleshooting and next day it works without and Fürther action...
But i have to be BT activated before starting the car.

Gesendet von meinem FP1 mit Tapatalk

Funny. I will report back if it works tomorrow
24th January 2014, 04:04 PM |#390  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondiordna

A question, for you, @benkxda, but also for everyone else: what do you guys think about using the xda-wiki to organise the shared knowledge?

I just realised it's there today, and registered here to ask this question. And also possibly to help filling in some info, if you guys deem it a nice idea. A quick search in the wiki showed that it's seemingly not very much used considering MediaTek based devices: wiki/MediaTek_chipsets - nearly nothing to see there, move along...

Any thoughts, and experiences with the xda-dev wiki?

That's a very nice idea, to use the xda-wiki! People, let's use the wiki to collect issues and help and instructions! @benkxda do you want to help and copy stuff from your OP to the wiki as well? You're doing a great job and people have been thanking you a lot, so that would be great.

I've started a rudimentary wiki page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Fairphone

If people participate and check everything and fill out the rest, we will have a very nice wiki page soon!
(And it will be much more organised and clean than this thread )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unrelashade For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Unrelashade Ad-Free
24th January 2014, 06:50 PM |#391  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Question
Hi guys, I have just received my Fairphone and have several questions:

I have read the first 30 pages of this thread over the past few weeks and I am honestly quite confused what to do with my phone
It is my first smartphone, the first thing I wanted to do is install the Google Apps, but I remembered a post here that stated that you cannot delete them once installed, so I downloaded f-droid and got some basic apps there.
Can you recommend me some f-droid apps? Is there a way to use google apps (especially google maps) without handing out too much data?
My biggest concern right now is the transition of my contacts. I loaded them onto my SIM cart, but it could now copy all of them. So i tried to do it in batches, but now my FP wont delete the contacts on my SIM, it always gives me an "Delete failure" message. Has anyone expeirenced this before?

And last question for now:
Does anyone know a good function plotter? That can draw graphs, perhaps even quickly calculate derivatives and stuff (like an offline wolfram alpha)

greetings
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)