Otterbox preserver or lifeproof.

Search This thread

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
I am in the market for a waterproof case. I love having multiple cases and this is one i dont have. I have been looking at both the lifeproof nuud and otterbox preserver. They both look like really nice cases but I'm worried a bit about sound quality. I really like the fact the lifeproof doesn't have a built in screen protector but read on amazon, like I'm worried about, affects sound quality. I was trying to find the OB on amazon but the only one listed is at 339$ and doesn't have any reviews.

My question is what are your experiences with either case. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.

leaderbuilder

Ordered this thing with some trepidation when it first came out.
Waterproof YES
Great protection YES.
Touch functions work well YES.
Sound out - listen to music or calls Yes and quality is okay.
Sound in - speaking on calls - nearly inaudible to person on the other end!
If you use your phone as, well, a phone you MUST use some bluetooth headset/mic or it's a no go.
I was really hoping that this wouldn't be the case, but figured it would be - as virtually all 'waterproof' cases for any device I have just cannot transmit VOICE sound 'IN'.
But hey it is waterproof and provides superp protection. I'll just have to remember to put the case on before I need it. :p

Reactions: hexitnow

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I was looking at that one as well like I said. I've always had good luck with otterbox. The only thing I don't like about in comparison to the lifeproof is the LP is 6.6ft @ 1hr while the OB is only half an hour and then OB has a built in screen protector. I really hate built in screen protectors.

Hit thanks if I helped you out. Doing a little bit of reading goes a long way. Sent via tapatalk.

Last edited:

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH
I've got a lifeproof nuud and I have no complaints. The first one I bought, I had the sound issues that other people on this forum has had. I replaced it and the call quality was damn near crystal clear. I recently had to get a warranty replacement because my USB port cover broke off, and the new one I have now works perfectly also. Another thing that really stands out is their customer service. I called to see where I could buy additional screen protectors and they sent me 3 for free. This last time I called for a replacement, they sent me a brand new case in the box with really no questions asked. I haven't worked up the balls to put my phone underwater yet because I had a bad experience with a casio g'rock when I tried that. But I'm sure it'll come. I recommend giving the lifeproof nuud case a shot, I doubt you'll be let down. I know I wasnt.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: hexitnow

hexitnow

Jun 19, 2013
Idaho
As much as I like cases I think I'll buy both. I just bought the nuud on amazon for 50 and next day Aired it for like an extra 4 bucks. Stoked about it arriving and once more otters pop up on amazon I'm going to buy one of those as well.

SuFuCru

Feb 23, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've had both. I started with Lifeproof and went through two Frē cases because of the bad audio quality. I then went with the Preserver. I've been through two of those as well. It's an awesome case, but the mesh covers on the speakers tear off within a few days. My second one only lasted a day in tact before getting ripped off just by pulling it out of my pocket. I took the first one back and got a refund from Walmart, and still have the replacement from Ottetbox. I just super glued the mesh back on.

I gave the Lifeproof another shot with the Nüüd case and couldn't be happer. Call quality is great, and no screen protector to get those Newton rings or "rainbows" between the glass and screen protector.

If you go with the Nüüd but want to buy in store, pick it up at Best Buy. They honored Amazons price of $52.99.

Last edited:

Bradh024

Jul 14, 2010
****holeville, OH
Hell I started out paying $100 from Verizon with the water protection plan. After getting screwed around about wanting to return the case because it was defective, I ended up only paying $60 for it. $50 is a he'll of a deal

manybreak

Jan 10, 2010
I was about to order the lifeproof nuud and came here just one more to check on reviews and still can't decide between obex or lp heelpp :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

SuFuCru

Feb 23, 2011
Dallas, TX
And what's your opinion on them ?

The Incipio doesn't close properly with the battery cover of the phone on. If you take it off, it closes, but the screen cover doesn't contact the screen properly and loses touch sensitivity. Also, the tempered glass protector has the worst rainbowing effect imo.

manybreak

Jan 10, 2010
The Incipio doesn't close properly with the battery cover of the phone on. If you take it off, it closes, but the screen cover doesn't contact the screen properly and loses touch sensitivity. Also, the tempered glass protector has the worst rainbowing effect imo.

Yeah I picked one of those at radioshack 2 days later i went and did an exchange , same issue that the case doesn't close at all ..the worst one , which one you would recommend ?

SuFuCru

Feb 23, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yeah I picked one of those at radioshack 2 days later i went and did an exchange , same issue that the case doesn't close at all ..the worst one , which one you would recommend ?

So far the Lifeproof gets my vote as the best for me. I absolutely love the overall design of the Otterbox, but the speakers are a big design issue. If they come up with a fix, it'll be a hit. Out of all of them I've tried, I felt the most protected with that one. Speakers and button response though, hats off to LP.

manybreak

Jan 10, 2010
So far the Lifeproof gets my vote as the best for me. I absolutely love the overall design of the Otterbox, but the speakers are a big design issue. If they come up with a fix, it'll be a hit. Out of all of them I've tried, I felt the most protected with that one. Speakers and button response though, hats off to LP.

Alright so lp , nüüd of frë?

The nüüd design its pretty cool , without the front screen protector

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Seidio OBEX Waterproof Case for Samsung Galaxy S4

its pretty good.. Light n does its job very well, This beats OB and any other case by FAR!

http://www.amazon.com/Seidio-CSWSSG...io+OBEX+Waterproof+Case+for+Samsung+Galaxy+S4

http://www.seidio.com/obex/

I agree. I love my obex case. Very secure and keeps your device safe. Very waterproof, I literally run my phone under water to clean it. Screen very responsive. Only issue is the capacitive buttons take a getting used to. Require a bit more finger coverage.

About the nuud, I've read countless reviews about people saying it leaks. Totally not cool. Lol. I really suggest the obex case. Had it about a month with no major complaints.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

manybreak

Jan 10, 2010
Oh really ? Mhmm ... I also like how the obex seidio looks....black and redd

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Oh really ? Mhmm ... I also like how the obex seidio looks....black and redd

I have the white / grey cause I don't like dark colors on my phone as they absorb sun light and heat up your device. But they are designed very nicely. Only downside is the white rubber seems to absorb the dye from my jeans xD prolly can clean that up with bleach tho.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wittyusernametaken

Sep 22, 2013
Lifeproof build quality for the s4 cases are crap. If I could do it over again I'd probably get that liquipel thing done to my phone and get a cheap case and still come out on top.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: adis452

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ordered this thing with some trepidation when it first came out.
    Waterproof YES
    Great protection YES.
    Touch functions work well YES.
    Sound out - listen to music or calls Yes and quality is okay.
    Sound in - speaking on calls - nearly inaudible to person on the other end!
    If you use your phone as, well, a phone you MUST use some bluetooth headset/mic or it's a no go.
    I was really hoping that this wouldn't be the case, but figured it would be - as virtually all 'waterproof' cases for any device I have just cannot transmit VOICE sound 'IN'.
    But hey it is waterproof and provides superp protection. I'll just have to remember to put the case on before I need it. :p
    I've got a lifeproof nuud and I have no complaints. The first one I bought, I had the sound issues that other people on this forum has had. I replaced it and the call quality was damn near crystal clear. I recently had to get a warranty replacement because my USB port cover broke off, and the new one I have now works perfectly also. Another thing that really stands out is their customer service. I called to see where I could buy additional screen protectors and they sent me 3 for free. This last time I called for a replacement, they sent me a brand new case in the box with really no questions asked. I haven't worked up the balls to put my phone underwater yet because I had a bad experience with a casio g'rock when I tried that. But I'm sure it'll come. I recommend giving the lifeproof nuud case a shot, I doubt you'll be let down. I know I wasnt.

Lifeproof build quality for the s4 cases are crap. If I could do it over again I'd probably get that liquipel thing done to my phone and get a cheap case and still come out on top.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2