[FLASHABLE ZIP] Google Gapps + Amazon AppShop - HDX 7", 8.9" (Thor, Apollo)

Search This thread

WebDev28

Jul 18, 2010
BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation

Informations
  • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
  • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download

Play store still shuts down on me. Everything else works. I even cleared cache under settings and also cleared data and it looks like it is opening but then it shuts down the app. Not sure what's going. I even started from scratch.

Sent from my KFAPWI using xda premium

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
When I create a new partition it is installing a new os, right? So I can stop trying to restore to that partition?

Also, what is good size for partition? I have the 64gb.

Sent from my G2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No, it will just create "virtual drives", you have to use the restore function in safestrap recovery to have stock ROM in ROM slot.

Envoyé de mon GT-N7100 en utilisant Tapatalk

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
Play store still shuts down on me. Everything else works. I even cleared cache under settings and also cleared data and it looks like it is opening but then it shuts down the app. Not sure what's going. I even started from scratch.

I guess you didn't correctly enable Xposed and the xosed module which allow play store to work.

WebDev28

Jul 18, 2010
I did. Install xposed, hit install with in the app, download your mod then rebooted then flashed gapps.

holeshot77

Jul 11, 2008
Grimes, IA
No, it will just create "virtual drives", you have to use the restore function in safestrap recovery to have stock ROM in ROM slot.

The Thor gapps is the ROM, right? So I want to flash that in my ROM slot...boot into it and follow the steps, correct?

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Never mind. I just looked. Ill keep messing around. Ill try what you said cowboy. That even though it failed, it still might have worked.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
The Thor gapps is the ROM, right? So I want to flash that in my ROM slot...boot into it and follow the steps, correct?

No you must first backup your stock ROM then restore it to slot ROM. All that in recovery.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
OK. Then there's probably a problem on the 8.9". I was almost sure it would work on the 8.9" but it seems it's not the case. Sorry for that :/

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
If you comfortable enough a complete logcat output just after the play store hack would maybe help.

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
tomorrow I'll upload HDXPosed sources which could be useful for 8.9" support from our devs.

Reactions: turruso

The same for me. But all Google apps great

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I have a seven

ptrsnshane

Dec 13, 2013
I don't believe so, in the past it worked when getting the fail notice.

Sent from my KFTHWI using xda app-developers app

Cpasjuste

Jun 8, 2007
The same for me. But all Google apps great

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I have a seven

Do you also have a 8.9" ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BE SURE TO PLAY ON A SAFESTRAP ROM

Here is how to "easily" install Google Apps (gapps) on our HDX devices (tested on 7", should work on 8.9").
    This procedure will keep all amazon app services working, thanks to an Xposed module.

Installation

Informations
    • thor-gapps-installer-*.zip is just stock jb gapps with "welcomescreen.apk" removed and stock launcher added if needed
    • all work is done in HDXPosed module, more information on the HDXPosed thread

Download

Installed on Stock Rom Working

For anyone who wants to know. I have a 32GB Kindle HDX 8.9. I rooted my kindle then used KindleFree to install google services. I installed the XPosed mod without safestrap and everything is working without issues. I have not had a single problem with mine. All google apps including google hangouts and google+ work. I have not tried gmail as I prefer the default mail client so I have not installed gmail and I probably wont but everything else is working.

Edit: I forgot to mention that all of the amazon services are working as well. I can download and install apps from both the playstore and the amazon store, watch movies, download books, download and listen to music and download documents. I haven't had any problems with any services for amazon or google not working. The only unknown for me is gmail but like I said earlier I prefer the default mail client so I have not tried gmail.
    When you say stock do you mean the unrooted one?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

*sigh*

When you first install safestrap recovery, and boot into it, it will stay very clearly that you're dealing with STOCK ROM (and recovery robot at the boot menu will be RED, not green). That means you're MUCKING WITH STOCK ROM, not a "copy" of a ROM (i.e. safestrap).

In order NOT to muck with stock ROM (i.e. live your life on the edge), you "backup" the stock ROM, create a ROM slot (probably 1, name it "mod test1 or whatever) restore your backup into it, and activate that so you from now on boot into the COPY of your ROM. Then you can flash, edit, distort, or multilate your ROM... and as long as you can get into safestrap recovery, you can simply reset the ROM slot by loading a backup, and you're back in 5 minutes. And your "stock ROM" (rooted, but unmodified) will stay UNTOUCHED.

Got that? :)
    Sounds like there's no way to keep Amazon services working while allowing Play store downloads to work. I'm a huge Amazon spender and prime customer so it'd be nice to have it working alongside Play store without resorting to rebooting to different rom slots.
    Currently uploading the flashable zip !

One problem with it tough, gmail is not working anymore, something to do with the sync service ... while it work fine on my initial rom ! Can't understand but will probably find later ... in the meanwhile it can be used to test play store.

zip uploaded and first post updated !