Ubuntu and the Nexus 10

Search This thread

madalone

Sep 17, 2012
Lisboa
Hello everyone,

Before you start flaming me for posting a redundant thread, please hear me out.

After bricking my TF300T (had xubuntu installed and had to f*** with partitions..and I f***** it real good) I've decided to get myself a Nexus 10. I've been doing some research on the matter of running Ubuntu Desktop (NOT touch) on it I've seen many tutorials on how to do it I've come across plenty howtos on how to install it on the Nexus 7.

My question is, is it possible to use the same process/images for my brand new Nexus 10? How different are the devices from each other?

I've seen that Canonical has released a Ubuntu Dual Boot Installer compatible with the Nexus 10. Would it be possible to use the Rabbits kernel I used for the TF300T? Also, as far as I've seen Multiboot is only compatible with the Nexus 7.. or have I seen wrong? Did I make a bad purchase and should've gotten an other tablet?

Thanks in advance for your time and help and my advanced apologies for inconveniencing anyone with this thread.

Mouzey

Feb 15, 2012
As far as I know (and I've only triedndoing this once a while back so I may be wrong) there is no way to partition the storage in the nexus 10 to install Ubuntu, and there is no kernel to support it. You would have to run the Ubuntu iso through chroot in the terminal, and then use a VNC client app to use Ubuntu. Effectively, you'd be running Ubuntu in the background whilst running android to view it, so performance (and compatibility) takes a hit.

But, like I say, times and developers have changed so I may be entirely wrong now...

Last edited:

beekay201

Nov 8, 2010
Say you manage to partition the emmc.. Then what? You'll need to port drivers over from Android (not an easy thing to do since they're proprietary).. Ubuntu touch is Android based.

a hammerhead wrote this.