Z1 Power Button issue

Search This thread

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my power button felt different on my Z1. At first I thought it was my imagination, but more and more I was sure something wasnt right.

Last week on the way to work, my colleague who also has a Z1 used my phone to look at something and his first comment was "Whats up with your power button??"

It has no definite feeling when pressing it, its almost impossible to tell if you have pressed it or not, it looks and feels recessed too.

When trying his phone it was exactly as I remembered it to be, when you push it you can feel as response (small click or resistance), on mine there is nothing!

So I contacted Sony Xperia, who were suprised by the described issue. Long story short I have to return the phone to them for a 5 - 7 day turnaround repair.

Anyone else had the same issue? Or even sent their phone back to Sony in the UK? I am a little concerned that once it is prised open to be repaired it will never be the same again! All in all, for the £550 I paid for a premium handset, it is the first one that I have had any hardware issues with.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Anyone else had the same issue?

I saw a problem like that with a device of my friend and he felt exactly in the same way, it's a faulty botton, have to be replaced.

I am a little concerned that once it is prised open to be repaired it will never be the same again! All in all, for the £550 I paid for a premium handset, it is the first one that I have had any hardware issues with.

I can truly understand you. Same here. I always get a mid range phones and never had problems. This one I paid a lot of money, issues everywhere. I sent mine back to Sony as well, but for different reason.

Reactions: stratplayer

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org
I saw a problem like that with a device of my friend and he felt exactly in the same way, it's a faulty botton, have to be replaced.

I can truly understand you. Same here. I always get a mid range phones and never had problems. This one I paid a lot of money, issues everywhere. I sent mine back to Sony as well, but for different reason.

Was your device ok when it came back? All the edges aligned, sealed etc etc?? It is a worry for me, how do I know it is waterproof still for example?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Was your device ok when it came back? All the edges aligned, sealed etc etc?? It is a worry for me, how do I know it is waterproof still for example?

Mine do not come back yet, I sent it back via warranty 2 weeks ago. I will let you know. Anyway Sony Service have to provide best service for your phone and it should be still under warranty even when the phone come back to you but in which condition this is a mystery for all of us.

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org
Mine do not come back yet, I sent it back via warranty 2 weeks ago. I will let you know. Anyway Sony Service have to provide best service for your phone and it should be still under warranty even when the phone come back to you but in which condition this is a mystery for all of us.

They said 5 - 7 days on the phone Friday, if you sent it two weeks ago and are still waiting then that's pretty poor I think.

NiM72NiK

Jun 28, 2012
Tehran
I have the exact same problem guys. repairing it needs a special technique? (for water resistance issues)

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
I have the exact same problem guys. repairing it needs a special technique? (for water resistance issues)

I think is needed a experience because you have to take apart all phone and I will suggest to let do this job to Sony. And of curse it will have to be seal again to make the water resistance working again. If you do all of this the warranty will be gone.

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org
An update on mine, it got worse and now has been sent back for warranty repair at Sony, well they use a company called SBE Ltd in the UK

I'm not very impressed to be honest, this is the first phone I've had to return to the manufacturer for repair, this was meant to be a quality product. So there is at least 3 people with the same problem, maybe more who haven't noticed. Potentially there is an issue with the design or button component.

In so cheese off as I have to use a crappy Nokia Lumia 800 Windows phone for the period it is away!

I have been looking at a Nexus 5 or Note 3 as a replacement, selling mine on eventual return from repair..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

shook187

Oct 1, 2010
Haverhill MA
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm having issues with my volume down rocker. It is much harder to press then volume up it also doesn't have the clicking sound volume up gives when you press it. Of course I'm within my return window so I'm waiting for my replacement phone to get here so I can ship the one I currently have back

Sent from my Xperia Z1s

NiM72NiK

Jun 28, 2012
Tehran
I think is needed a experience because you have to take apart all phone and I will suggest to let do this job to Sony. And of curse it will have to be seal again to make the water resistance working again. If you do all of this the warranty will be gone.

at first i have rooted my phone so the warranty is already gone..and Because I live in Iran and there is no experienced or official Sony branches to do the stuff i have to pay a lot of money to ordinary people who have the tools for doing it and praying really hard to have my z1 remained water resistance..and another problem is that this button is very well designed and has a good material which it doesnt get gray or orange after a while.for sure the replacement doesnt have the same great quality and thats a failure :|

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
at first i have rooted my phone so the warranty is already gone..and Because I live in Iran and there is no experienced or official Sony branches to do the stuff i have to pay a lot of money to ordinary people who have the tools for doing it and praying really hard to have my z1 remained water resistance..and another problem is that this button is very well designed and has a good material which it doesnt get gray or orange after a while.for sure the replacement doesnt have the same great quality and thats a failure :|

Ok, but if the button still working I think is not worth to open it and risk much more, BTW is not the button problem but the hardware component under the button.

Reactions: Ezzady

samarth7b

Jan 28, 2014
Z1 button issue

I'm from India and have the same problem with the button. I bought Z1 around October last year. The button started getting worse gradually from the beginning of January, and now there's absolutely no feedback on pressing. It almost feels as if there's a spring under the button.

If anyone has given the phone for repairs to Sony for this issue, please reply. I'm also worried about the waterproofing and other possible damage to the device, specially given the fact that it's got a non-removable back so opening up the device might be a mess.

Last edited:

xXFlippyXx

May 17, 2012
I've seen a video on YouTube about the z

As far as the Z is concerned there are about 4 screws and the rest is glued. Front- and backside.

Now, you can guess if the phone is still waterproof after putting it back together.

Even with skilled techs and the appropriate equipment I highly doubt it.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPN930fohyo&feature=youtu.be

It's a German video but I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Best thing you could do is to ask the repair center for a guarantee on wich you can depend on (written of course)

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk

Ezzady

May 25, 2011
Bangi
Using my Z1 for nearly a month now and the device power button was slightly a bit wearing off but that wasn't my concern. I'm just worried bout the waterproof capability. If the Z was glue front and back, How long can it last with all those nature element?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Using my Z1 for nearly a month now and the device power button was slightly a bit wearing off but that wasn't my concern. I'm just worried bout the waterproof capability. If the Z was glue front and back, How long can it last with all those nature element?

It can be forever if you use the device properly and you you keep in mind to don't use the flaps a lot and keep them clean. Flaps like that can do great job for 2 years without problem but time and natural degradation is on they way, so if you will replace the flaps after this time is fine to me. But if you keep leaving the phone in you car on dashdoard under the sun all the time clearly this can compromise the assembly and the sealing of the phone. So practically depend of how you use your phone.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I'm from India and have the same problem with the button. I bought Z1 around October last year. The button started getting worse gradually from the beginning of January, and now there's absolutely no feedback on pressing. It almost feels as if there's a spring under the button.

If anyone has given the phone for repairs to Sony for this issue, please reply. I'm also worried about the waterproofing and other possible damage to the device, specially given the fact that it's got a non-removable back so opening up the device might be a mess.

Yes , opening the phone for a button will be a mess and maybe is not covered by warranty so if the button working well I will not be worry about it. The day when it will not work then you will get the new button.

Ezzady

May 25, 2011
Bangi
It can be forever if you use the device properly and you you keep in mind to don't use the flaps a lot and keep them clean. Flaps like that can do great job for 2 years without problem but time and natural degradation is on they way, so if you will replace the flaps after this time is fine to me. But if you keep leaving the phone in you car on dashdoard under the sun all the time clearly this can compromise the assembly and the sealing of the phone. So practically depend of how you use your phone.

I see. I don't use the flaps because im always charge my phone using a magnetic charger. Just want to keep this phone for the best. Thanks for the tips bro. Appreciate it. ;)

stratplayer

Nov 4, 2009
Bristol
blog.stratplayer.org

I started this thread, it is definitely a problem and you should get it repaired. Mine was sent back and now has been repaired, not very impressive for a "premium" handset!

It was only away for just over a week.

samarth7b

Jan 28, 2014
I started this thread, it is definitely a problem and you should get it repaired. Mine was sent back and now has been repaired, not very impressive for a "premium" handset!

It was only away for just over a week.

Yeah, I'm thinking of giving it in next week. Very disappointing from a flagship phone. Did yours show any visible sign of damage after repairs? Even scratches etc.?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone else had the same issue?

I am a little concerned that once it is prised open to be repaired it will never be the same again! All in all, for the £550 I paid for a premium handset, it is the first one that I have had any hardware issues with.

Ok, but if the button still working I think is not worth to open it and risk much more, BTW is not the button problem but the hardware component under the button.
    I've seen a video on YouTube about the z

As far as the Z is concerned there are about 4 screws and the rest is glued. Front- and backside.

Now, you can guess if the phone is still waterproof after putting it back together.

Even with skilled techs and the appropriate equipment I highly doubt it.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPN930fohyo&feature=youtu.be

It's a German video but I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Best thing you could do is to ask the repair center for a guarantee on wich you can depend on (written of course)

Gesendet von meinem C6903 mit Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Yes , opening the phone for a button will be a mess and maybe is not covered by warranty so if the button working well I will not be worry about it. The day when it will not work then you will get the new button.