[Guide] How to Flash The Downloaded OTA File [ HTC One Mini 4.2.2 to 4.3]

Search This thread

windovv

Jun 25, 2011
Greeting from Vietnam, and sorry for my English ;)

So, you dont want to wait the official-update from your carier/country, you got the OTA file from somewhere else, i'm gonna show you how to flash it, step by step with some stricks
This might works with other phones (I think), but in this guide we'll doing stuffs with HTC One Mini Android 4.2.2, flashing 4.3 OTA file

Before you do anything, i suggest you should do a nandroid backup, so you can get back your official rom any time. This is very important, please google for it
(For those who dont know: to do this, you'll need Unlock bootloader, then installing a custom recovery, i recommend TWRP instead of CWM, i've got error with cwm once -> Get into Recovery Mode -> Backup -> Save it to your computer)

I've googled and tried some other ways to upgrade the phone, but it was not work, like:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2573479
Flash another 4.2.2 ROM -> [Settings > About > Software update] -> Download (only) the OTA file -> Flash the stock recovery file -> Then the phone will alert "the update is downloaded and ready"
Well, that's the idea. But right after your download is done (in your phone), it turns out error: "Variant system version", saying your phone has been modified, and end up by delete the OTA file

Let's get started

1. Requirement, Your phone must be:
  • Disabled Fast Boot:
    Settings > Power > Untick Fast boot
  • Enabled USB Debugging:
    Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging
    If you do not see "Developer Options", Go to Settings > About phone > Software > More > click on build number 7 times. This should enable that section
  • Unlocked Bootloader
  • Got the S-Off (For HTC phones, to: be able to write to /system)
  • Installed a custom recovery (recommend TWRP)
The guide can be found at here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2365506

2. Download the OTA file

3. Flash the firmware
  • Extract the OTA file you'll get firmware.zip
  • Make sure you already got the fastboot.exe, adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, ... files -> Move all these files + the firmware, the OTA file into a folder like: D:\htc
  • Reboot your phone into Fastboot USB Mode
    Power off > Hold the both Volume Down key + Power key several seconds > Fast Boot
    (Use the Volume key to change the selection, the Power key to chose/enter)
  • Make sure your phone is recognized by fastboot and adb, to check:
    fastboot devices
    - and:
    adb devices
    In case you got error "Device not found" with adb: turn the phone into Recovery Mode, it will fix this, so you can do adb push, shell...
  • Relock the bootloader, so we can flash the firmware update:
    fastboot oem lock
    The phone will reboot
  • Reboot to OEM update mode:
    adb reboot oem-78
    The phone will show the white-text HTC
  • Flash the firmware.zip:
    fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
    You'll see a green progressbar on the screen, if not: do the command again
  • Unlock Bootloader from http://htcdev.com, install the TWRP Recovery again
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_Code.bin
    fastboot flash recovery Twrp-2.6.0.0.img
    You might need to get the new Unlock_Code.bin from htcdev

Now your phone is wiped, the /sdcard/ folder is empty

4. Make the OTA Flash-able file
  • Download the sample.zip file at here, we'll rename it to: OTA-4.3.zip, see How to make a flashable zip at here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2163974
  • Open OTA-4.3.zip with winrar or 7zip, you'll see 2 folders: META-INF/ and system/ . We're going to put data from the OTA file into this zip file (Notice that the system/ folder is empty)
  • From the extracted OTA file that you've downloaded (OTA_M4_UL_JB43_SENSE55_MR_HTC_Europe_2.12.401.1-1.32.401.2_release_342200vz5jcl35ysxswchv.zip) copy 2 folders: system/ and patch/ into OTA-4.3.zip, just drag and drop them to opened OTA-4.3.zip (by winrar), hit OK in the winrar popup

--> You might wonder why we're doing this: Why we put 2 folders from OTA_M4_UL_JB43_SENSE55_MR_HTC_Europe_2.12.401.1-1.32.401.2_release_342200vz5jcl35ysxswchv.zip to the new, almost empty OTA-4.3.zip; instead of delete all other files, folders from OTA_M4_UL_JB43_SENSE55_MR_HTC_Europe_2.12.401.1-1.32.401.2_release_342200vz5jcl35ysxswchv.zip
--> The anwser is: i have no idea, the second way just doesn't work, i tried

5. Flash the OTA Flash-able file
  • Copy the OTA Flash-able file (OTA-4.3.zip) into your phone, your phone can not boot up now, so we'll use adb push command
    adb push OTA-4.3.zip /sdcard/
    It may takes few minutes
  • Now simply Install Zip from recovery:
    Boot into Recovery Mode > Install Zip > select OTA-4.3.zip
  • Reboot the phone, if everything goes well, it's showing a progressbar of the Apps installing

You're now in 4.3

Last edited:

Sirius-C

Dec 13, 2005
Ay Ba'h Gum La'ad
Thank you for this information but unfortunately it didnt work for me.

windovv said:

I do see the green progress bar and it moves to the right but....
the Fastboot/DOS window finishes the flash firmware command successfully but the green progress bar shown on the phone does not go to the very end.....

so at this point I reboot back to fastboot on the phone and then unlock the bootloader then follow the rest of your instructions....
Everything appears to be successful but when i boot the phone it displays the boot animation to the end then just stays there....The phone never goes past the boot animation

Ive managed to restore a backup so thats not a problem but im really struggling to install the 4.3 and sense 5.5 update using the other method shown at the beginning of your post and your method here

:(

anyhow, looks my radio, HBOOT etc is updated now ive flashed the "firmware.zip" from my OTA

windovv

Jun 25, 2011
Thank you for this information but unfortunately it didnt work for me.

I do see the green progress bar and it moves to the right but....
the Fastboot/DOS window finishes the flash firmware command successfully but the green progress bar shown on the phone does not go to the very end.....
I think this step is just fine, i've noticed that the progress bar was near to the end, not full of the bar. If you not sure about this, you can do this step (run this command) twice:

Everything appears to be successful but when i boot the phone it displays the boot animation to the end then just stays there....The phone never goes past the boot animation
It seems like you have just flashed the firmware.zip only, the rest of the OTA file has not been flashed successfully yet. The phone is now wiped, so it can't boot up

Reboot the phone, if everything goes well, it's showing a progressbar of the Apps installing
Notice that in some cases, there's no progressbar showing, but the phone still configuring itself, and it can takes about 5-10 miniutes

so at this point I reboot back to fastboot on the phone and then unlock the bootloader then follow the rest of your instructions....
At this step, pls install a custom recovery ~> goto recovery mode ~> File Management, you'll see that there're system folders, like /sdcard/, check out if they're empty or not...

Bottom line: make sure firmware.zip has been flashed (do the flash command twice), verify step 4 and step 5 in #1

Sirius-C

Dec 13, 2005
Ay Ba'h Gum La'ad
Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

I did flash the OTA zip after modifying it. I can only think that I did not wait long enough after the boot animation, although i did wait approx 5 minutes or more.

Since posting here I have managed to install the OTA update but I used the alternative method here:

I already had an unlocked bootloader and S-OFF so I skipped that part of the tutorial...
But I was unsuccessful the first time because I did not SUPERCID, as I read passed it..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greeting from Vietnam, and sorry for my English ;)

So, you dont want to wait the official-update from your carier/country, you got the OTA file from somewhere else, i'm gonna show you how to flash it, step by step with some stricks
    This might works with other phones (I think), but in this guide we'll doing stuffs with HTC One Mini Android 4.2.2, flashing 4.3 OTA file

Before you do anything, i suggest you should do a nandroid backup, so you can get back your official rom any time. This is very important, please google for it
    (For those who dont know: to do this, you'll need Unlock bootloader, then installing a custom recovery, i recommend TWRP instead of CWM, i've got error with cwm once -> Get into Recovery Mode -> Backup -> Save it to your computer)

I've googled and tried some other ways to upgrade the phone, but it was not work, like:
    Flash another 4.2.2 ROM -> [Settings > About > Software update] -> Download (only) the OTA file -> Flash the stock recovery file -> Then the phone will alert "the update is downloaded and ready"
    Well, that's the idea. But right after your download is done (in your phone), it turns out error: "Variant system version", saying your phone has been modified, and end up by delete the OTA file

Let's get started

1. Requirement, Your phone must be:
    • Disabled Fast Boot:
      Settings > Power > Untick Fast boot
    • Enabled USB Debugging:
      Settings -> Developer Options -> USB Debugging
      If you do not see "Developer Options", Go to Settings > About phone > Software > More > click on build number 7 times. This should enable that section
    • Unlocked Bootloader
    • Got the S-Off (For HTC phones, to: be able to write to /system)
    • Installed a custom recovery (recommend TWRP)
    The guide can be found at here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2365506

2. Download the OTA file

3. Flash the firmware
    • Extract the OTA file you'll get firmware.zip
    • Make sure you already got the fastboot.exe, adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, ... files -> Move all these files + the firmware, the OTA file into a folder like: D:\htc
    • Reboot your phone into Fastboot USB Mode
      Power off > Hold the both Volume Down key + Power key several seconds > Fast Boot
      (Use the Volume key to change the selection, the Power key to chose/enter)
    • Make sure your phone is recognized by fastboot and adb, to check:
      fastboot devices
      - and:
      adb devices
      In case you got error "Device not found" with adb: turn the phone into Recovery Mode, it will fix this, so you can do adb push, shell...
    • Relock the bootloader, so we can flash the firmware update:
      fastboot oem lock
      The phone will reboot
    • Reboot to OEM update mode:
      adb reboot oem-78
      The phone will show the white-text HTC
    • Flash the firmware.zip:
    • Unlock Bootloader from http://htcdev.com, install the TWRP Recovery again
      fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_Code.bin
      fastboot flash recovery Twrp-2.6.0.0.img
      You might need to get the new Unlock_Code.bin from htcdev

Now your phone is wiped, the /sdcard/ folder is empty

4. Make the OTA Flash-able file
    • Download the sample.zip file at here, we'll rename it to: OTA-4.3.zip, see How to make a flashable zip at here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2163974
    • Open OTA-4.3.zip with winrar or 7zip, you'll see 2 folders: META-INF/ and system/ . We're going to put data from the OTA file into this zip file (Notice that the system/ folder is empty)
    • From the extracted OTA file that you've downloaded (OTA_M4_UL_JB43_SENSE55_MR_HTC_Europe_2.12.401.1-1.32.401.2_release_342200vz5jcl35ysxswchv.zip) copy 2 folders: system/ and patch/ into OTA-4.3.zip, just drag and drop them to opened OTA-4.3.zip (by winrar), hit OK in the winrar popup

--> You might wonder why we're doing this: Why we put 2 folders from OTA_M4_UL_JB43_SENSE55_MR_HTC_Europe_2.12.401.1-1.32.401.2_release_342200vz5jcl35ysxswchv.zip to the new, almost empty OTA-4.3.zip; instead of delete all other files, folders from OTA_M4_UL_JB43_SENSE55_MR_HTC_Europe_2.12.401.1-1.32.401.2_release_342200vz5jcl35ysxswchv.zip
    --> The anwser is: i have no idea, the second way just doesn't work, i tried

5. Flash the OTA Flash-able file
    • Copy the OTA Flash-able file (OTA-4.3.zip) into your phone, your phone can not boot up now, so we'll use adb push command
      adb push OTA-4.3.zip /sdcard/
      It may takes few minutes
    • Now simply Install Zip from recovery:
      Boot into Recovery Mode > Install Zip > select OTA-4.3.zip
    • Reboot the phone, if everything goes well, it's showing a progressbar of the Apps installing

You're now in 4.3