SUCCES! Adding content to HTC 8S stock Rom

Search This thread

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
Hey guys, I don't know if this is of any use for you, but I think it won't hurt to share it.

Based on some posts and ideas I read in different threads, I managed to write to the EFIESP and the PLATpartition of the stock rom of my HTC 8S. I changed the bootimages in the PLAT partition to a custom one,flashed the image and it worked. I'll attach a picture to prove it and if that's not enough, I will post a video. :p

So, the first step is to download the stock rom (obviously...) and extract the .exe file. (I use 7-ZIP) Then there is a file called "RUU_signed.nbh". If you open it with a Hex Viewer, like HxD, you can find multiple partition Headers. I found 4 that I can use, the rest is encrypted with what appears to be Bitlocker, hence the different headers. Now, what I did was mark the area of the first partition (starts approximately at offset 228BEF90 and is a FAT16 Partition) and continued the selection until the end of the file. Then I created a new one and pasted it. I ddid the same with the rest, always selecting and copying from where the partition starts until the end of the whole file and pasted it into a new one. Then I mounted the files using OSFMount and voilà, you can put stuff and files in there! If you finished, you just unmount the files. Then I opened each file again with HxD, selected EVERYTHING and pasted it
to the according area in the original RUU_signed.nbh. I started with the first one, then the second and so on, so you don't overwrite the changes you have made if you start in reverse order. After packing the file, I tried to flash it and to my surprise, IT WORKED! :D After rebooting I saw my custom bootimage! Downside of this is obviously that it requires you to use the stock firmware and it will be overwritten once you update your device. But I hope our skilled Devs here have some use for those 2 partitions. :) Theres 2 more that are usable, but I don't know their names, but you can still put files in them.

Now again, I don't know if this is of any use for you devs, but I still felt kind of obligated to share it :p

Stupid thing, I put my HTC 8S into Diag Mode and THEN flashed it, now it doesn't connect as MTP but as HTC Diagnostic Interface and I can't change it back because I can't deploy anything to the device. It works perfectly, boots and everything, but no USB Connection via MTP. So be very careful before flashing, since the mode is determined by a NV value which you can't edit afterwards.

This is not a tutorial to be followed by everyday users, but something ment for developers. You do everything at your own risk! And keep in mind that this has only been tested on an HTC 8S!

cheers, hutchinsane_

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 4,190
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 3,841
Last edited:

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
Yeah, I heard that it is possible, though I hadn't had a chance to test it on my 8X.
As for EFIESP: you can edit \efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD to enable Kernel Debugger functionality and it is basically enough to hack the whole OS even with actions currently performed.

The most interesting partitions are MainOS (second to last), and Data (last one). Interop Unlock can be done in MainOS.

Thing is that newest ROMs are encrypted (not hard to crack but still)

Last edited:
Reactions: hutchinsane_

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
Darn, hoped I was the first to come up with the idea. :p I do have acces to the file you're talking about. MainOS seems to be encrypted with Bitlocker since their headers start with -FVE-FS-. I could take a look into the 8X Rom aswell, I expect the situation to be the same. :) So is there a thread on the Kernel Debugger thing?

EDIT: I just did what you set, although I used a program called "Visual BCD Editor" since I don't know about editing the BCD Store just YET. Now I edited some values from "False" to "True" and for 1 second it showed me what appeared to be a windows boot selection. Now when I boot up, and once the "Windows Phone" blueish logo appears, it shows "Not for resale", meaning that we actually can edit BCD on this device!

Last edited:

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Very nice Work
I run in Nokia Lumia 920 RM-821 APAC Malaysia Amber ROM
I find the same
Maybe we can edit Lumia 920 FFU and get first Custom ROM :D

Attachments

• Lumia920.1.jpg
    Lumia920.1.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 751
  • Lumia920.2.jpg
    Lumia920.2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 582
  • Lumia920.3.jpg
    Lumia920.3.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 569
Reactions: Loco5150 and tids2k

ultrashot

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 26, 2009
St.Petersburg
that's enough to enable WinDbg operopability.
Code:
bcdedit /store F:\EFIESP\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD /dbgsettings usb targetname:woatarget
bcdedit /store F:\EFIESP\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {default} debug on
bcdedit /store F:\EFIESP\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {default} dbgtransport kdusb.dll

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
Sorry for my Question but how can we find that here is the end of a file in HxD .
I'm now looking for it to flash a Custom Rom on my Lumia 920 but I can't build images correctly using HxD and OSFMount.
Thanks .

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
@ngame Thanks :) If you look at your first 2 screenshots, you didn't select the "ë" You MUST select and copy it aswell, it's always the start of a partition, fot FAT aswell as for NTFS. After that, you should be able to mount. For finding the end, I didn't. I just Selected until the end of the file and pasted it back in. :) It should work, Afterall, my HTC has a "custom" rom aswell now, since there's a custom bootimage :D

@ultrashot Thanks! I used the commands and it worked succesfully. Waiting on the phone to flash now :)

EDIT: It doesn't boot once you set a) the target b) the type or something else. but enabling the kernel debugger itself works. Trying to figure out which value makes it unbootable.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonbonz

ngame

Mar 13, 2012
Mashad
u must ask me dude .
zimone die

PM Me please if you know
Thanks

@ngame Thanks :) If you look at your first 2 screenshots, you didn't select the "ë" You MUST select and copy it aswell, it's always the start of a partition, fot FAT aswell as for NTFS. After that, you should be able to mount. For finding the end, I didn't. I just Selected until the end of the file and pasted it back in. :) It should work, Afterall, my HTC has a "custom" rom aswell now, since there's a custom bootimage :D

I will test again

tonbonz

May 14, 2012
BFE
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question :eek: ...
Here is a list of partitions from my 928 .ffu but which ones are needed to edit? Just the FAT and NTFS partitions? Are any of the others of any interest?

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
As far as I know, you have to look for the specific headers, since some are encrypted with Bitlocker, therefor have the "-FVE-FS-" header. Easiest way is to use the search function of HxD and search for NTFS, FAT12 and FAT16 partitions :) Also, there are no stupid questons :p

Reactions: tonbonz

tonbonz

May 14, 2012
BFE
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
As far as I know, you have to look for the specific headers, since some are encrypted with Bitlocker, therefor have the "-FVE-FS-" header. Easiest way is to use the search function of HxD and search for NTFS, FAT12 and FAT16 partitions :) Also, there are no stupid questons :p

:highfive: Here's a better list including the device layout and read and write partitions if it helps anyone. Also when mounting FAT16 or FAT12 partitions it says it needs to be formatted or is unsupported. What am I doing wrong??? :(

Reactions: DavidinCT

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
Can you ost a screenshot of the file you use as a partition? I don't know if it even works with Nokia Roms. Which one are you using exactly? I might be able to have a look at it.

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
@-W_O_L_F- They do? Didn't know that, thanks for the info! Yeah, might be a good idea, actually. :)
@reker how do you plan on doing this? adding the tool to the rom or deploying it as a xap? I actually need a way to use hidden pages without the toast launcher, or to include the toast launcher into the rom since I can't deploy it anymore :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I don't know if this is of any use for you, but I think it won't hurt to share it.

Based on some posts and ideas I read in different threads, I managed to write to the EFIESP and the PLATpartition of the stock rom of my HTC 8S. I changed the bootimages in the PLAT partition to a custom one,flashed the image and it worked. I'll attach a picture to prove it and if that's not enough, I will post a video. :p

So, the first step is to download the stock rom (obviously...) and extract the .exe file. (I use 7-ZIP) Then there is a file called "RUU_signed.nbh". If you open it with a Hex Viewer, like HxD, you can find multiple partition Headers. I found 4 that I can use, the rest is encrypted with what appears to be Bitlocker, hence the different headers. Now, what I did was mark the area of the first partition (starts approximately at offset 228BEF90 and is a FAT16 Partition) and continued the selection until the end of the file. Then I created a new one and pasted it. I ddid the same with the rest, always selecting and copying from where the partition starts until the end of the whole file and pasted it into a new one. Then I mounted the files using OSFMount and voilà, you can put stuff and files in there! If you finished, you just unmount the files. Then I opened each file again with HxD, selected EVERYTHING and pasted it
    to the according area in the original RUU_signed.nbh. I started with the first one, then the second and so on, so you don't overwrite the changes you have made if you start in reverse order. After packing the file, I tried to flash it and to my surprise, IT WORKED! :D After rebooting I saw my custom bootimage! Downside of this is obviously that it requires you to use the stock firmware and it will be overwritten once you update your device. But I hope our skilled Devs here have some use for those 2 partitions. :) Theres 2 more that are usable, but I don't know their names, but you can still put files in them.

Now again, I don't know if this is of any use for you devs, but I still felt kind of obligated to share it :p

Stupid thing, I put my HTC 8S into Diag Mode and THEN flashed it, now it doesn't connect as MTP but as HTC Diagnostic Interface and I can't change it back because I can't deploy anything to the device. It works perfectly, boots and everything, but no USB Connection via MTP. So be very careful before flashing, since the mode is determined by a NV value which you can't edit afterwards.

This is not a tutorial to be followed by everyday users, but something ment for developers. You do everything at your own risk! And keep in mind that this has only been tested on an HTC 8S!

cheers, hutchinsane_
    meanwhile, /me has almost ready tool to dump ROMs to packages & build them from package set, full cycle
    that's enough to enable WinDbg operopability.
    Code:
    bcdedit /store F:\EFIESP\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD /dbgsettings usb targetname:woatarget
    bcdedit /store F:\EFIESP\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {default} debug on
    bcdedit /store F:\EFIESP\efi\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -set {default} dbgtransport kdusb.dll
    Can't you publish it ? or Private send it to me ?
    This tool can modify every NTFS Partition ?

Proto-type now, NTFS is a biiiiiig thing. I will release it when finish.
    I think @reker can help us . he created a W1 Custom Rom

Not rom any more, I'm making tool can directly operate NTFS, so I can modify everything without losing any data. A hard work XD