Slow Data Speed

Search This thread

majixx11

May 19, 2011
Syracuse
Hello everyone! I have recently moved from NY to CA. Back in NY I had data speeds of 25+ mbps. Since I have been in CA my speeds have been much lower, sub 5. So I updated my towers with *228 and now my data speeds are EVEN WORSE. I only get 3G now and my speed is 1 mpbs at best. I'm currently running the latest version of slimkat, and I haven't updated my radio in as long as I can remember. Could the radio be my problem? Anyone have any ideas or maybe something to troubleshoot? My data speed makes it so some apps/games are barely usable. Thanks for your time.

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
Hello everyone! I have recently moved from NY to CA. Back in NY I had data speeds of 25+ mbps. Since I have been in CA my speeds have been much lower, sub 5. So I updated my towers with *228 and now my data speeds are EVEN WORSE. I only get 3G now and my speed is 1 mpbs at best. I'm currently running the latest version of slimkat, and I haven't updated my radio in as long as I can remember. Could the radio be my problem? Anyone have any ideas or maybe something to troubleshoot? My data speed makes it so some apps/games are barely usable. Thanks for your time.

You probably fried your sim card, you aren't supposed to use *228 on lte devices. Go over to Verizon and ask them for a new one.

As far as data speeds go, there isn't much you can do. You can switch to a touchwiz rom, and it should give you better reception, but it won't give you data speeds that quick.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: majixx11

Wh1t3Rose

You probably fried your sim card, you aren't supposed to use *228 on lte devices. Go over to Verizon and ask them for a new one.

As far as data speeds go, there isn't much you can do. You can switch to a touchwiz rom, and it should give you better reception, but it won't give you data speeds that quick.

I just had to say this. BadUsername, while you are correct that dialing *228 does in fact break 4G functionality, it does NOT fry your SIM card. What it does do however is put you on a 3G only PRL. Now when you go get a new SIM card it goes through the activation giving you a new 4G capable PRL #. I have read people say that they are able to get back on a 4G PRL by driving to another city (or another tower) and powering off the phone and removing the SIM will put you on a new 4G PRL. I haven't tested this however myself as I have never been stuck on a 3G only PRL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

majixx11

May 19, 2011
Syracuse
OK thanks for the information. It shouldn't be hard to find another tower in So Cal. I'll report back if it works, otherwise I'll just get a new SIM card. Thank you!

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
I just had to say this. BadUsername, while you are correct that dialing *228 does in fact break 4G functionality, it does NOT fry your SIM card. What it does do however is put you on a 3G only PRL. Now when you go get a new SIM card it goes through the activation giving you a new 4G capable PRL #. I have read people say that they are able to get back on a 4G PRL by driving to another city (or another tower) and powering off the phone and removing the SIM will put you on a new 4G PRL. I haven't tested this however myself as I have never been stuck on a 3G only PRL.

Thank you! Much better information.

Reactions: Wh1t3Rose

majixx11

May 19, 2011
Syracuse
Went to another city and had to reboot a bunch of times but I got LTE back. When I came back to my home city (where I had done the *228) and then rebooted my phone it went back to 3G. So it appears that my SIM card is now stuck in 3G at my home tower(s) but can get 4G else where... need a new SIM I guess. Regardless, my data speeds around where I live suck and it's really annoying. 10 mins south from where I live I am getting 10 fold increase in data speed. Thanks for the input guys!

Reactions: Wh1t3Rose

Wh1t3Rose

Went to another city and had to reboot a bunch of times but I got LTE back. When I came back to my home city (where I had done the *228) and then rebooted my phone it went back to 3G. So it appears that my SIM card is now stuck in 3G at my home tower(s) but can get 4G else where... need a new SIM I guess. Regardless, my data speeds around where I live suck and it's really annoying. 10 mins south from where I live I am getting 10 fold increase in data speed. Thanks for the input guys!

Take the SIM out, boot the phone back up with no SIM card, let it sit for 10 minutes, power off, reinsert SIM, reboot phone. Should fix it.

majixx11

May 19, 2011
Syracuse
Take the SIM out, boot the phone back up with no SIM card, let it sit for 10 minutes, power off, reinsert SIM, reboot phone. Should fix it.

Just wanted to update in case this happens to someone else. I did what you mentioned for 10 minutes, and then again for over 30 minutes and it didn't fix the problem. I went in and got a new SIM card and now I am back to LTE. Thanks for the help guys!

Geekboy26

Feb 12, 2014
I've been having a network issue lately, thought it was the software update. I got a new simcard when I got the phone but the 10 minute trick has worked for me before, I usually have to do it a couple times though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Just wanted to update in case this happens to someone else. I did what you mentioned for 10 minutes, and then again for over 30 minutes and it didn't fix the problem. I went in and got a new SIM card and now I am back to LTE. Thanks for the help guys!

Thank you! Much better information.