BackTrack 5 ARM (with GUI via TightVNCServer)

Search This thread

9100_it

Jan 29, 2006
savona
There is a slight error in your commands I believe. To change the VNC password it should be vncpasswd rather than vpnpasswd.
Port for me was 5902 btw. I was stumped until I looked at the tightvnc log.

Monitor mode does not appear to work and maybe some things have changed since Backtrack 3 but I couldn't locate aircrack-ng.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

me too 5902 port!!!!! :D

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Backtrack (http://www.backtrack-linux.org)
Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.

Here is a guide to getting ARM Backtrack Running on the Xoom (tested on Wifi Only Version, running 3.1)

After much frustration I have gotten the GUI part of the backtrack 5 arm release working with the Motorola Xoom.

This has only been tested to work on the Xoom. But it should work just fine with any other device that supports linux, and should work especially well on anything with a dual-core processor (G2X, Atrix, etc.)

Pre-requisites:
- Rooted Motorola Xoom
- androidVNC from the Android Market
- Terminal Emulator from the Android Market (which you should already have)
- Backtrack 5 for ARM with Gnome downloaded and setup (check the README file, and follow the instructions.)
Link: Backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/. This tutorial will assume you put Backtrack 5 in the folder /sdcard/BT5 like the README says.

Launch the terminal emulator and enter the following commands:
Code:
cd /sdcard/BT5
su
sh bootbt
BackTrack will start up in shell. You will get a red line that says "root@localhost:". To verify if you type:
Code:
ls pentest
It should echo back the folders in pentest, stuff like 'backdoors','database',etc.

At this point enter the following commands:
Code:
export USER=root
vncpasswd

When you type in 'vncpasswd' this is to the the password for the tightvncserver. Since I only connect locally I just use 'qwerty' for my password, and then confirm the password. [Edit] Apparently you can skip this step, as the default password for vnc is simply, 'toortoor' (root backwards, twice).

When it asks if you want to create a view only password just type 'n' and hit enter. After you have your password setup for vnc start the server up.
Code:
tightvncserver -geometry 1280x800

When this happens you will get a message confirming that "New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1" and a bunch of other random stuff below it (it isn't important unless there are errors listed).

At this point, press the "HOME" button on the Xoom and then open the application "androidVNC".
-In the "Nickname" box, you can name it whatever you like.
-In the "password" entry, use your password (mine is 'qwerty').
-In the "Address" box you can type in localhost (or leave it blank).

****Change the port from 5900 to 5901.
[Edit] TightVNCServer uses 5901 by default, but if you are having connection errors it may have changed to something else. View the TightVNCServer logs (which I believe are under /root/.vnc/, do an 'ls -a' and a 'nano logfilename') to check to see what port was in use.

I also recommend setting the color-depth to 24-bit. After that press the "connect" button, and bam! You're rocking Backtrack 5 on your motorola xoom!!

You're welcome to repost this on other message boards of on your website, please just give me credit though. Thank you and enjoy!

5711241049_7a97aff4c3.jpg

all time for start BT?????

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

i have a problem, all time i start it the port is +1
firt time 5902
second time 5903
and more....

the terminal emulator write me that i must delete .x1-lock file in temp folder but i dont find temp folder with this file!

some help!?

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

i have a problem, all time i start it the port is +1
firt time 5902
second time 5903
and more....

the terminal emulator write me that i must delete .x1-lock file in temp folder but i dont find temp folder with this file!

some help!?

saugatdb

Jan 12, 2011
Kolkata
awesome solution for running bt5, though have to wait for my otg cable to test the remaining part :)
p.s. @ above post i found that port number gets defined by this line
New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1
if its 1 then port is 5901 if its 4 then 5904, at least that's what happened with me

it gets changed every time you run the tighvncserver command & when it creates a new x desktop. though if you clear the log then its back to 1 (I guess???)

Last edited:

saugatdb

Jan 12, 2011
Kolkata
go to tmp folder by using cd /tmp
then do a ls -a you will find the the list of files including the hidden ones
then delete the old log folders by using rm command
ex - rm <file/folder name>

1 more thing there is another directory under tmp named as .X11-unix.
you have to go into that as well by using cd command
then if you do a ls you will find your previous connections there as well like X1 X2
you need to delete those by passing rm command
re-open the terminal & pass the tighvncserver command & you are back to no 1 :)

Last edited:

9100_it

Jan 29, 2006
savona
go to tmp folder by using cd /tmp
then do a ls -a you will find the the list of files including the hidden ones
then delete the old log folders by using rm command
ex - rm <file/folder name>

1 more thing there is another directory under tmp named as .X11-unix.
you have to go into that as well by using cd command
then if you do a ls you will find your previous connections there as well like X1 X2
you need to delete those by passing rm command
re-open the terminal & pass the tighvncserver command & you are back to no 1 :)

My terminal emulator not fint tmp or .X11-unix folder! :(
i have try by
terminal emulator
adb shell
root explorer

Last edited:

saugatdb

Jan 12, 2011
Kolkata
see first you have to open terminal emulator, then run the commands as usual-
cd /sdcard/BT5
su
sh bootbt
after this once you get "root@localhost:" then open the temp directory using cd /tmp
& then within that you will find .X11-unix folder if you do a ls -a & after that follow the steps in my prev post

Reactions: 9100_it

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
Don't waste you time with BT5 ARM (with GUI via TightVNCServer) if on EOS ICS

Not that it is truly a waste, this is just cleaner and less hassle without the constant Port changing - I have tried the ARM with TightServer, a little too bloated for me.

As always, if this was Helpful Give Thanks!

icon8.gif
BT5 Working on Motorola Xoom in Chroot -
(Here are pics just in case you wonder)

Aircrack4.4.sh on Moto Xoom

Aircrack4.4.sh%20on%20Xoom.PNG
Reaver-1.4%20on%20Xoom.PNG

Reaver-1.4 for WPA/WPA2 on Moto Xoom

Last edited:

alex_72gr

Sep 23, 2005
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
Not that it is truly a waste, this is just cleaner and less hassle without the constant Port changing - I have tried the ARM with TightServer, a little too bloated for me.

As always, if this was Helpful Give Thanks!

icon8.gif
BT5 Working on Motorola Xoom in Chroot -
(Here are pics just in case you wonder)

Aircrack4.4.sh on Moto Xoom

Reaver-1.4%20on%20Xoom.PNG

Reaver-1.4 for WPA/WPA2 on Moto Xoom

Could you please elaborate on what you are saying, I am new to these programs. Are you saying there is a simpler way?
Under aircrack and reaver something is missing
Thanks

Mjamocha

Jul 2, 2010
Could you please elaborate on what you are saying, I am new to these programs. Are you saying there is a simpler way?
Under aircrack and reaver something is missing
Thanks

What I am saying is - There is a simpler way to run BT5 in Chroot on the Xoom.
The shots above are there to show anyone, that it is working, and you can run Aircrack and other programs for WPA as well in Chroot. If you are seeking information on how to - for either the BT5 for ICS or, the programs you see above, please search the Xoom threads. It's a lot of information that has already been posted (way too much to post here and to be honest, I just don't have the time to do it.) It won't be hard to find. I have a couple of tuts up.

Last edited:

Willer

Apr 3, 2009
what is backtrack?
uses?

ur question is equivalent to "what is windows uses", backtrack is ubuntu linux loaded with security tools...

sorry for joke, in reality i am running a PHP crawler engine on ubuntu running inside virtual machine (intel atom computer). and now i wish to move it into my XOOM and monitor it anytime, anywhere.

maybe I am planning to convert my tablet into a tiny server... why not? my existing crawler is running on 1Ghz CPU/500mb ram virtual machine setting :)

someone755

Sep 27, 2011
Ljubljana
Will this work on a phone?
I do believe it could, since it uses the same ARM processor. (HTC Desire...)
But the settings would have to be tweaked a little, at least as much as I've seen;
the display should be 480x800

But the main question remains: will it run smoothly on a single core 1GHz ARMv7 neon?
Just downloaded the files, copying now...
will post results :p

EDIT: Won't work on my phone, trying it on my tablet...
Files copied, but I don't have root... Have to root and post results :p

EDIT: Won't work on my tablet; Archos 101 Gen8... I get the following error(s) in terminal:
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 on /system failed: Invalid argument
ioctl LOOP SET_FD failed: Bad file number (this line repeats 8 times)
mount: no such file or directory (line repeated 3 times)

and some other thing that aren't readable...
Basically, in the end it says (4 times): 'failed.'
Any idea what's going on?

Last edited:

(-vinner-)

Sep 30, 2013
I can't download arm file
I m getting 2 option gnome and kde with 32 or 64 bit with vmware and I so file which 1should I select please help me

Sent from my GT-P3100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

(-vinner-)

Sep 30, 2013
I can't enter the sh boot BT command when I enter it show's the following

Attachments

• 1391519796641.jpg
    1391519796641.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 134

Domunus

May 13, 2011
I can't enter the sh boot BT command when I enter it show's the following

Ok, Try open the .sh in one text editor and check all paths in the script.
I think when you fix the paths it will work :D

I believe it has to do where your Busybox installed it's binaries. Bin or Xbin. that was the issue for me when I installs BT 5. Everything points to bin in .sh so you'll have to make corrections. It's been a while since i did this so i don't remember the exact line.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Backtrack (http://www.backtrack-linux.org)
    Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.

Here is a guide to getting ARM Backtrack Running on the Xoom (tested on Wifi Only Version, running 3.1)

After much frustration I have gotten the GUI part of the backtrack 5 arm release working with the Motorola Xoom.

This has only been tested to work on the Xoom. But it should work just fine with any other device that supports linux, and should work especially well on anything with a dual-core processor (G2X, Atrix, etc.)

Pre-requisites:
    - Rooted Motorola Xoom
    - androidVNC from the Android Market
    - Terminal Emulator from the Android Market (which you should already have)
    - Backtrack 5 for ARM with Gnome downloaded and setup (check the README file, and follow the instructions.)
    Link: Backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/. This tutorial will assume you put Backtrack 5 in the folder /sdcard/BT5 like the README says.

Launch the terminal emulator and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard/BT5
    su
    sh bootbt
    BackTrack will start up in shell. You will get a red line that says "root@localhost:". To verify if you type:
    Code:
    ls pentest
    It should echo back the folders in pentest, stuff like 'backdoors','database',etc.

At this point enter the following commands:
    Code:
    export USER=root
    vncpasswd

When you type in 'vncpasswd' this is to the the password for the tightvncserver. Since I only connect locally I just use 'qwerty' for my password, and then confirm the password. [Edit] Apparently you can skip this step, as the default password for vnc is simply, 'toortoor' (root backwards, twice).

When it asks if you want to create a view only password just type 'n' and hit enter. After you have your password setup for vnc start the server up.
    Code:
    tightvncserver -geometry 1280x800

When this happens you will get a message confirming that "New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1" and a bunch of other random stuff below it (it isn't important unless there are errors listed).

At this point, press the "HOME" button on the Xoom and then open the application "androidVNC".
    -In the "Nickname" box, you can name it whatever you like.
    -In the "password" entry, use your password (mine is 'qwerty').
    -In the "Address" box you can type in localhost (or leave it blank).

****Change the port from 5900 to 5901.
    [Edit] TightVNCServer uses 5901 by default, but if you are having connection errors it may have changed to something else. View the TightVNCServer logs (which I believe are under /root/.vnc/, do an 'ls -a' and a 'nano logfilename') to check to see what port was in use.

I also recommend setting the color-depth to 24-bit. After that press the "connect" button, and bam! You're rocking Backtrack 5 on your motorola xoom!!

You're welcome to repost this on other message boards of on your website, please just give me credit though. Thank you and enjoy!

5711241049_7a97aff4c3.jpg
    There is a slight error in your commands I believe. To change the VNC password it should be vncpasswd rather than vpnpasswd.
    Port for me was 5902 btw. I was stumped until I looked at the tightvnc log.

Monitor mode does not appear to work and maybe some things have changed since Backtrack 3 but I couldn't locate aircrack-ng.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
    hey man, i manage to get all the way to the part of android vnc, and put my password and change the port and everything as u said but when i click connect it always gives me an ip address kind of thing and connection refused... Did i forget to do something important?

Are you getting an error when running tightvncserver saying it's not running on screen 1 or whatever? There are lock files in /tmp/, the .X ones, type ls -a from /tmp/ and you'll see them. You have to remove the lock files and the .X11-whatever directory(which you have to delete all the files in it before you can rmdir it)...
    what do you mean for help? the mouse with not follow your finger but as you touch objects, it will click them.
    this is just a live CD that is booted from a VM runinng within HC.